Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Sep 2003, 21:04 (Ref:735883)   #1
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which year had the best final race of the season ?

I was so looking forward to the final race of this year ...but am so dissapointed that it will now not be a classic like i thought it would be ....
So instead of talking about this year ( like we have in many other threads )....

What year from the past has had the most exciting and thrilling final race of the year ?

well......Yesterday i dug out and watched Adelaide 1986 again when Mansell got that huge tyre blow out along the main straight when he was heading for his first ever WDC . Not only was it a great , exciting final race of the season , the qualifing session was superb too ! Mansell , went out on his sticky qualifing tyres early on in the session and put in a awesome qualifing lap . For most of the session no one could touch him , but near the end of the session Aryton Senna went out for his final run in his JPS Lotus and really drove it to its limit !....The reason that this was so good , is that at this point ( last race of the season ) the title could have been won by 3 drivers....and there was Aryton mixing it all up with his on the limit agressive laps...

Then the race came the next day .....Mansell from the pole got a terrible 1st lap , was over taken by 4 or 5 cars....but then started his usual charge to catch and get by the others... He got himself into a World Championship winning position , after pushing hard.......then , The massive tyre blow out !.....

Mansell out of the race , Prost became the World Champion ... but nevertheless.....what a fanstastic exciting final race of the season....

So i say Adelaide 1986 was one of the best final races of the season .

What year do you think was a classic ?

Last edited by Sato san; 30 Sep 2003 at 21:07.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 21:09 (Ref:735890)   #2
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I'd say the Japanese Grand Prix 1996, but I would be biased as it was my birthday and I was a mad keen Damon Hill fan

Hopefully we can say the next race
Old 30 Sep 2003, 21:13 (Ref:735897)   #3
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd go for 97, I never thought that Villeneuve would get the job done.

The fact that the lead changed hands so late in the race and the fact that at the time I was worrid that his car may have been damaged!
Old 30 Sep 2003, 21:28 (Ref:735928)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got to say 1986. It was a great race in its own right independant of the championship, with surprsie, drama, 5 different leaders, some marvellous performances, and unlikely points-scorers. Within the championship context it was even better, unless you're a Mansell fan. At least it ended with the first back-to-back champion in 26 years.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 21:34 (Ref:735935)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice one Boots !...And they were driving the Turbo cars too !
Old 30 Sep 2003, 21:41 (Ref:735945)   #6
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aus '86 sure had everthing didn't it! Including the the neccessary heartbrake for the British fans . Japan '96 though is not without it's charm .
Old 30 Sep 2003, 21:48 (Ref:735950)   #7
esorniloc
Veteran

I think the finish to the 1964 championship was quite close (from what I have read) didn't that go down to the last lap or something?
Old 30 Sep 2003, 23:42 (Ref:736050)   #8
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adelaide '86 with the great racing, the Mansell blowout & best of all the Prost victory.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 00:44 (Ref:736084)   #9
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Sato San I had a good seat at the Adelaide 86 GP and I have never seen as many people stand up as much in the stands. Just a pity the race does not go there any more.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 02:09 (Ref:736129)   #10
Aussiefan

I have to agree Adelaide '86 however I was only five at the time and don't remember watching it although I have it on tape now , what a race!!

I'd also go with Adelaide '94 as I was there and had followed the season, the tension leading up was amazing, as was the atmosphere in Adelaide.

Old 1 Oct 2003, 02:40 (Ref:736136)   #11
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As i only started following f1 in 85,i'd have to say DEFINITELY 86,what a fooking AWSOME finale.I still get pumped thinking about it!!!!!
I also agree that 97 had serious respect heaped on JV-i didn't think he could do it either.

And all those that say 96-you are all too sad beyond words!!!lol
We are talking about car racing here not consolation prizes
Old 1 Oct 2003, 06:51 (Ref:736265)   #12
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously 2002: a thrilling conclusion of a thrilling season!
Old 1 Oct 2003, 07:17 (Ref:736284)   #13
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
The Greatest final race of the Greatest season of F1,with the Greatest cars and the Greatest drivers of all time.It was Great,in my humbly unbiased opinion.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 07:41 (Ref:736299)   #14
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by vatuloa
I had a good seat at the Adelaide 86 GP and I have never seen as many people stand up as much in the stands.
that must have been amazing !...what a race to actually see from the trackside . I would have loved to be able to say I was there .
Old 1 Oct 2003, 17:38 (Ref:736942)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Any race in Adelaide was generally an exciting season finisher IMO.

Jerez 1997 with three drivers setting the same pole time and the race itself was great to witness! Such a strange but thrilling weekend!
Old 1 Oct 2003, 17:50 (Ref:736955)   #16
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1986 must be one of the best of all time.

As for the last 10 years; IMO not easy to choose between 1997 (Hakkinen's first win) and 1998 (Hakkinen's first title).

Old 1 Oct 2003, 18:09 (Ref:736981)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah 1998 was good. I was rooting for Schuey that day (didn't like Hakk at the time. Doh!) as he had been such a brave battler all year in a slower car. Watching his fightback from the back of the grid was mesmerising but, alas, that title would have to wait another 2 years.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 18:56 (Ref:737034)   #18
pb btcc
Veteran

pb btcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1995 Adelaide where Damon Hill won by 2 laps after all the front runners went out and Coulthard hit the pit lane entry while leading that was funny.

Also Forti nearly scored a point in that race with 7th for perdo Diniz
Old 1 Oct 2003, 19:28 (Ref:737069)   #19
esorniloc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by x_dt
As for the last 10 years; IMO not easy to choose between 1997 (Hakkinen's first win) and 1998 (Hakkinen's first title).

I am not sure you can count Hakkinen's first win as something special to look back on, he had many more deserved wins (Villeneuve and Couldthard LET him have that), if you wanted a special Hakkinen win to look back on then surely that was Spa 2000.

What people look back on Jerez 97 was the Villeneuve V Schumacher thing, not the winner of the race!
Old 1 Oct 2003, 20:01 (Ref:737104)   #20
Wally (Evo.1)
Rookie

Wally (Evo.1) should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My vote would have to go to Suzuka 1999 or 2000. (I'm pretty sure it was 2000.) But not because of the race, but for what took place in qualifying.

Hakkinen and M. Schumacher went at it for nearly the entire hour, trading pole position several times. I remember that one would set a pole time, then the cameras would show the other sitting in his car. He would see the time, smile, shake his head, and promptly go out and run a quicker lap. IIRC, Schumacher ended up with the pole, several hundredths faster than Hakkinen. Rarely have I seen such absolute skill and commitment by two drivers to take the pole. We all knew that both drivers were operating on the absolute ragged edge. Compared to the qualifying, the race was very anti-climactic.

This is perhaps the greatest reason why I don't like the single-car, single-lap qualifying. Some of the best action in recent F1 years took place before the race.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 20:16 (Ref:737118)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It was both years Wally. In 1999 Schuey set the fastest time despite running off the track at the second apex of Spoon Curve - mesmerising!

2000 was just outstanding given the pressure involved - they were only seperated by something like 0.037 seconds at the end, both reaching the limit. That was the most exciting qauli I have ever watched. Awesome. (hope Sato san has it on tape!) And I thought the race was just as good!

Sadly, Suzuka wasn't the last race of 2000.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 1 Oct 2003 at 20:17.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 20:21 (Ref:737126)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1986. Easily. Three competitors. Best driver for WDC, best car for WCC.
esorniloc 1964 was good too:
1964. Three drivers went into the final. Sutees won the championship after Bandini his team mate and Hill came together. It was all a bit different in those days. I couldn't imagine what a modern day audience and media would make of that. Trouble is there was nothing to make of it really. Perhaps we could learn something here. And Hill sent Bandini a LP of driving lessons for Christmas. Top bloke. Read more here: http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/rr131.html Racing was so much more fun then
Old 1 Oct 2003, 21:12 (Ref:737177)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
1994.......Mansells last victory
Old 1 Oct 2003, 21:30 (Ref:737205)   #24
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
2000 was just outstanding given the pressure involved - they were only seperated by something like 0.037 seconds at the end, both reaching the limit. That was the most exciting qauli I have ever watched. Awesome. (hope Sato san has it on tape!)
dont worry Knowsley ...I have it on tape !..
I will sort it out for you when you want it !
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
1994.......Mansells last victory
Not as good as Adelaide 1986 IMO , but yer ...that was a special one . Great to se Nige win finally in 1994

Last edited by Sato san; 1 Oct 2003 at 21:32.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 23:40 (Ref:737275)   #25
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adelaide 1986
Adelaide 1994