Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > Champ/Indy - Fantasy League/Predictions Contest

Old 31 Oct 2005, 02:18 (Ref:1448021)   #1
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantasy Racing Team ideas

First I want to say Omega has done an awesome job this season. But I had a few ideas to make our Championship more fun.

1. I think it would be neat for those of us who design Liveries for our cars if we could put the number that we finished in the standings on our primary car.
So the Champion would have the number 1 on their primary car, 2nd hhave number 2, 3rd have number 3 ect. Other cars could be assigned a number that no other car is using or did use in the previous season.

2. Set a date in advance when teams will reveal their drivers. So that way everyone will have an equal opportunity to create their teams with quality drivers.

3. Have people vote who the A list drivers will be.

4. Have a contest to see who designed the best livery for their car.

5. Thank Omega for stepping up to the plate and running this years Fantasy Racing Teams!!! You did a great job man and I'm sure everyone appreciated it.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 13:36 (Ref:1448367)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Yes...
Thank-you, Omega and Kicking-back.
Great fun.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1448698)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBoehm
First I want to say Omega has done an awesome job this season. But I had a few ideas to make our Championship more fun.

1. I think it would be neat for those of us who design Liveries for our cars if we could put the number that we finished in the standings on our primary car.
So the Champion would have the number 1 on their primary car, 2nd hhave number 2, 3rd have number 3 ect. Other cars could be assigned a number that no other car is using or did use in the previous season.

2. Set a date in advance when teams will reveal their drivers. So that way everyone will have an equal opportunity to create their teams with quality drivers.

3. Have people vote who the A list drivers will be.

4. Have a contest to see who designed the best livery for their car.

5. Thank Omega for stepping up to the plate and running this years Fantasy Racing Teams!!! You did a great job man and I'm sure everyone appreciated it.

Regarding...

1. I agree with it, but I think the whole field should be mandated. This way we'd get different numbers each year, which is also fun for us car painters. As it is, I'd have 7, 8 and 9 for next year.

2. That is difficult... there is always some uncertainity over who'll drive where... But then again the date could be just before the first weekend of racing.

3. Again, it depends. Perhaps we should separate the drivers into three groups and every team should choose a driver from one of those groups?

4. Yeah!

5. Ditto!
Old 31 Oct 2005, 23:08 (Ref:1448904)   #4
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want to paint the cars also but I dont have the slightest clue how to do it. maybe we can get a thread going on how to do so over the 5 months of off season.

1. I like the number finish is the one you get.

Having gained nearly 12 negative points over the season I think we should get rid of them.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 01:02 (Ref:1448959)   #5
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys! I'm glad you enjoyed the year so far, and I really appreciate your ideas, because I definitely feel some changes need to be made to make the championship more competitive.

I have a lot of ideas myself. I'm toying with the idea of doing away with the group system, and giving every driver a salary, and just declaring a team salary cap. Also teams will be able to hire and fire drivers at will, as long as they announce it before the start of a race weekend and they still fall under the salary cap. The reason I really want to go this route is because I think a lot of people picked their teams at the beginning of the year, and maybe didn't do so well, and then lost interest. This way you could actually do something about it. But they don't have to either, so it really allows people to choose their own level of involvement. I'd still like to prevent duplicate teams, or have some way of preventing ties.

I would like to change the points system to make things more competitive as well. One idea I had was to award each driver their points for finishing, in accordance with the current champ car points system. A team's score for a race is the sum of their driver's points, the way that it's pretty much been all along, but all three drivers now count. But instead of these points counting directly for championship points, I thought it would be better to rank the teams by their total score, and then award championship points based on their finishing positon according to the OLD champ car points system (22, 16, 14, etc.) I think that would help tighten things up, and prevent a team from being 60 points ahead of another after one race... Of course, this would mean that in some races, a team scores 0 points. I think it would also be fun to give out a championship point for each qualifying session, by taking the sum of a team's drivers' qualifying times and ranking them, with the number one team getting the point for provisional/pole positon. There'd be a starting grid and a finishing grid.

So I guess those are pretty big changes in a way. And in a way it's simpler, and in another it's more complicated.

As for car numbers, I like your ideas, and think that sounds like a lot of fun to carry over something from the previous year. Keep posting ideas!

One more thing I just thought of in regards to #2. In order to keep it secret everyone could PM me their choices and I'll reveal them on the date. I still want to prevent duplicate teams, however, so perhaps priority for driver selection could go to the team that finished last the previous year? I don't know, maybe people would start aiming for last place, and I don't really know what would be done about new teams. I definitely don't want to exclude anybody. Maybe the order could be drawn at random?
Old 1 Nov 2005, 01:43 (Ref:1448977)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Some great ideas being tossed about here. It breaks my heart that extenuating circumstances forced me to give up running this game myself, and I was hoping that Omega would get bored with it, but he's taken the ball and is running with it and the game promises to be better than ever!

Omega...
Your idea about ranking teams according to the "old point system" is brilliant! But IMO we gotta give up on the old and accept the new, so perhaps scoring them according to the "new" system? Also, in that way more players get to score at least one point.

And so is the qualifying-idea, but it would seem to add alot of work for you to do that.

Picking a team under a salary-cap is a good idea too.
As for painting your own cars, I'll provide templates and assistance to those who require assistance as the 2006 season draws nearer. And 10T's no longer hosts uploaded images, so I'll find a solution to that problem as well.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 01:46 (Ref:1448978)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Quote:
Omega99:

Perhaps priority for driver selection could go to the team that finished last the previous year?
Wouldn't work. Several teams join after the start of the season, and end the season in last place.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 02:23 (Ref:1448987)   #8
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
I like your idea for the old points system, also the slider points I feel should be dropped, especially if you use the total of all three drivers, it also prevents negative points.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 02:34 (Ref:1448990)   #9
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
Regarding...

1. I agree with it, but I think the whole field should be mandated. This way we'd get different numbers each year, which is also fun for us car painters. As it is, I'd have 7, 8 and 9 for next year.

2. That is difficult... there is always some uncertainity over who'll drive where... But then again the date could be just before the first weekend of racing.

3. Again, it depends. Perhaps we should separate the drivers into three groups and every team should choose a driver from one of those groups?

4. Yeah!

5. Ditto!
I like your Idea for the numbers Jordi, but then a team that finishes 6th in the championship gets #18, not quite fair because 18 does not represent the quality of their team, maybe to prevent the numbers from going too high we should use your idea but cut it off at the top 5, therefore #'s 1-15 go to the first five teams in the Championship and every other team after that can choose a number of their liking with the exception of #99 of course. Man I'm having fun giving ideas for the rulebook for next year.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 03:25 (Ref:1449003)   #10
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
As long as you don't mind three digit car numbers.... 20 teams x 3 drivers = 120 numbers.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 03:32 (Ref:1449008)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Hate to be the first one to correct you!
Old 1 Nov 2005, 03:55 (Ref:1449015)   #12
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't like the idea of PM'ing the teams secretly....
If you're the last person to make a team, you won't know what 3-car selections are already taken. I don't see anything wrong about displaying the teams publicly.

What if no one found out who was driving for any of the Champcar teams? And we all found out the first weekend of the race? That wouldn't be right...
Old 1 Nov 2005, 06:28 (Ref:1449054)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah, but drewdawg, the difference is the ChampCar teams can't all hire the same driver!
Old 1 Nov 2005, 21:34 (Ref:1449821)   #14
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe not, but they all WISH they could :P
Old 2 Nov 2005, 00:16 (Ref:1449968)   #15
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
I think drewdawg makes a good point. If you put in your selection and you're turned down because someone else already has it, you have to come up with a new one, and hope that in the meantime no one else has claimed it. The best way is probably to announce it publically, first come first serve. It helps prevent duplicate teams, and a lot of other headaches (especially for me....)

We could set a date/time when you can officially begin announcing your team on this first come first serve basis, but that might just cause some more chaos.
Old 8 Nov 2005, 01:36 (Ref:1454867)   #16
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Effort is in for next season no matter what the system. Thanks very much for this year. It was great! Especially the final race. I knew we'd get it right, eventually.

We would also like dibs next year on our current team as we suffered with them this year and we'd sure like to see it come good next season. But whatever y'all decide is fine.

If someone poaches our drivers, we'll get you at recess!
Old 15 Feb 2006, 10:21 (Ref:1523232)   #17
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
some great ideas here! SKUD Racing will definately be on the grid! when does the season start?
Old 24 Feb 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1530931)   #18
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I definitely like the idea of a salary cap system, the only thing is you would have to re-evaluate each driver in order to prevent people from scooping up mid-packer drivers who get hot.
Old 26 Feb 2006, 03:06 (Ref:1531683)   #19
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think picking new/regular mid pack drivers (for a good price) that get good is a part of the fun, I always try to pick them

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 26 Feb 2006, 20:51 (Ref:1532065)   #20
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
I always kinda preferred that u get the drivers you pick at the beginning of the season. So if we combine that with the Salary cap I'm all for it.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 13:26 (Ref:1532497)   #21
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew Denman Racing is ready. Bring it on