Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Closed Thread

Old 7 Jan 2015, 17:15 (Ref:3490732)   #101
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Native English speakers.

Jim
Well sort of....
Old 7 Jan 2015, 18:22 (Ref:3490746)   #102
morwenna
Racer

morwenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Yes, a collection of Donington marshals/rescue crew.
I'm confused - is this for the Long Beach race, or have the marshals for London already been selected?
Old 7 Jan 2015, 18:34 (Ref:3490749)   #103
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morwenna View Post
I'm confused - is this for the Long Beach race, or have the marshals for London already been selected?
Long Beach, but they're in Argentina at moment I think
Old 7 Jan 2015, 18:40 (Ref:3490751)   #104
morwenna
Racer

morwenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Long Beach, but they're in Argentina at moment I think
Ah, the travelling team, got you! Hopefully they'll also need some local(ish) marshals in June.
Old 7 Jan 2015, 23:21 (Ref:3490847)   #105
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
That presentation was written by some people who you know! Native English speakers.

Jim
Really? It just had the air of having been translated by someone with a vary good, but not native command of English! Maybe it's designed for people with a good but not native command of English...

In which case it's wasted on most of us!
Old 10 Jan 2015, 18:52 (Ref:3491673)   #106
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OT ish

Latest round is on ITV4 now

But don't care.
Old 10 Jan 2015, 19:28 (Ref:3491677)   #107
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
and a fairly interesting race it is too.
but I'm surprised that with it being such a short street circuit a crane was'nt covering the exit of the chicane for Chandock's car.

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 10 Jan 2015 at 19:55. Reason: Actually that was very good.
Old 10 Jan 2015, 20:32 (Ref:3491699)   #108
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i might be a bit wired here but is there any way a scottish pleb like me can volunteer to marshal it in london and who to contact
Old 10 Jan 2015, 21:38 (Ref:3491718)   #109
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
and a fairly interesting race it is too.
Was it? Sorry I must have dropped off, zzzzzzzzzzzz

But don't care.
Old 10 Jan 2015, 21:50 (Ref:3491722)   #110
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Alan D
Short answer - No

It seems to be a bit of a state secret as to who will be running it. ie nobody seems to know or as seems more likely no-one is willing or allowed to say who is, because at FIA event minus 6 months there has to be an organisation in place, surely.

I suspect details will be out soon enough, but most of us are already deep into planning our year ahead so the longer the organisers hold off making any announcement the more likely we are to make other arrangements.

as for thepits! look, we realise it's not your thing, but people get rebuked for saying negative things about the big circus event that comes to Silverstone and sucks all the money out of it

I'd prefer it if the naysayers try and leave this thread for the positive things that people would like to know abot the upcoming London event.

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 10 Jan 2015 at 22:01. Reason: just slipping in one e-pun
Old 10 Jan 2015, 22:07 (Ref:3491728)   #111
rotation
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stirlingshire, UK
rotation should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
i might be a bit wired here but is there any way a scottish pleb like me can volunteer to marshal it in london and who to contact
Most clubs dahn sauff use the online registration system now, so when the organising club is announced, you'll be able to fill in a form online, and they should post out your passes and instructions.
As the folks have said, you'll need to wait until the organisation club is announced before you can do anything though.
Old 10 Jan 2015, 22:09 (Ref:3491729)   #112
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The organisers must be laughing their heads off. 110 posts before the event has even got close to happening, and that's just here.

Regardless of what we all think about it, the event is yet to happen. Even with all the knocks, *we're talking about it*.

Sounds like a free marketing win to me!
Old 10 Jan 2015, 23:07 (Ref:3491738)   #113
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We're certainly talking about it and I must admit I was sort of impressed by the bit of the race I saw. Racing cars that hiss at you are certainly new and I like the way they're built so that if you touch anything or go near a kerb the suspension falls apart. That certainly adds some entertainment value.

And I love the idea of "pit stops" to hop out of one car and into another. That should encourage people to buy electric cars. Get home from work, plug it in but if you need to go out again that evening just hop in your second car .

BTW Mr Snatcher, that was 2 puns, positive and negative. And you surely can't be surprised that opinion about this class of "racing" is rather polarised. And I don't like F1 either so it's not just this particular FIA farce that I moan about.

Steve
Old 11 Jan 2015, 10:21 (Ref:3491806)   #114
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Richard Duvall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
I'd prefer it if the naysayers try and leave this thread for the positive things that people would like to know abot the upcoming London event.
Old 11 Jan 2015, 10:29 (Ref:3491808)   #115
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Apologies for bringing this thread back on topic, but here are some marshal notes on the Formula E cars (credit to Long Beach organisers' for publishing the notes). Hopefully they'll provide some interest.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dos7krju68...B1%5D.pdf?dl=0
Does anyone really want to go near a crashed one of these things, sod that for a game of soldiers……..

Bladders…..
Old 11 Jan 2015, 10:45 (Ref:3491811)   #116
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post
Does anyone really want to go near a crashed one of these things, sod that for a game of soldiers……..

Bladders…..
I have and felt quite content. (Heidfeld)

During our training and education about these cars the confidence of the electrical system designers was very well communicated.

Regards

Jim
Old 11 Jan 2015, 11:22 (Ref:3491816)   #117
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Richard Duvall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Apologies for bringing this thread back on topic, but here are some marshal notes on the Formula E cars (credit to Long Beach organisers' for publishing the notes). Hopefully they'll provide some interest.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dos7krju68...B1%5D.pdf?dl=0
Interesting word used "Securization". Anyone know what this means?
Old 11 Jan 2015, 13:04 (Ref:3491833)   #118
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Making things secure.

FIA speak and poor translation.

Jim
Old 11 Jan 2015, 16:10 (Ref:3491865)   #119
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Possibly more a case of an FIA / renault / spark technology having French as first language.

securisation(french) = securing (english)
they also used
signalisation(fr) = signalling (english) , when talking about flags

I also saw marshals using the canalisation (channelling) arrow during the race. Another useful French thing when marshalling a tight street circuit.
Old 11 Jan 2015, 16:13 (Ref:3491866)   #120
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Duvall View Post
Interesting word used "Securization". Anyone know what this means?
there is no such word, the nearest I could find was Securitization

which "is the financial practice of pooling various types of contractual debt such as residential mortgages, commercial mortgages, auto loans or credit card debt obligations and selling said consolidated debt as bonds, pass-through securities, or collateralized mortgage obligation (CMOs), to various investors"

so it's obviously FIA Franglish

But don't care.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 11:30 (Ref:3492026)   #121
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post

Bladders…..
Please tell me what gives you confidence to go near a crashed gasoline powered car?
Old 12 Jan 2015, 11:46 (Ref:3492029)   #122
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or even worse a Methanol powered one?
Old 12 Jan 2015, 15:06 (Ref:3492078)   #123
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Or even worse a Methanol powered one?
Yep, we've been there, seen it, done it - even before the Indycars at the Rock UK

Good old John Webb introducing his own methanol formulae

But don't care.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 15:45 (Ref:3492089)   #124
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sod methanol, hate the stuff and that it is still allowed in sprints and time attack. as soon as one of them pulls off with the dreaded orange dot i dont like it. at least with petrol you have nice big visible flames to tell you the thing is on fire
Old 12 Jan 2015, 15:47 (Ref:3492091)   #125
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
sod methanol, hate the stuff and that it is still allowed in sprints and time attack. as soon as one of them pulls off with the dreaded orange dot i dont like it. at least with petrol you have nice big visible flames to tell you the thing is on fire
They're easy to sort, get the water out, and if the driver is running around flapping then douse him first.

Simples

But don't care.
Closed Thread