Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 May 2003, 23:33 (Ref:596447)   #51
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)
Fulvio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Before everything, I think it's right to present myself:

my name is Fulvio Cavicchi and I'm one of the Durango drivers... I will start the championship in Monza, when the second chassis will be finished to build up.

I was (obviously) in Lausitz, yesterday, and as many of you said, the grid was formed by only 8 cars... Certanly we cannot say it was very amousing to see a FIA champ with so few cars.... but let's remain optimistic.
Before saying that would be better to close everything now [let me do at least one race, please ], let's wait until Monza....
Many of the championsip contenders are mainly interested in LM, that's clear, so making a race just 6 (six!!!) days after the LM pre-qualifying has been a madness, but that was the calendar.
Ratel rightfuly said in Estoril that the calendar wouldn't be modified [as happened many times last year], and it will remain the same until the end: that's really important for the series, becouse permits the teams to plan well transferts, book hotels and things like that...
So, I repeat, Lausitzring has surely been a bad-looking parenthesis, but [I hope ] only a parenthesis.

Talking more specifically about Durango, I can only say that we were faster [Ok, ok, my teammates were faster] than Estoril. We changed the engineer, and the set-up was already better: in free practice and in qualifying we were near the two Domes, and the first laps of the race we've been also near Jon Bosch [who started in pole]... but the new Dunlop tyres we were wearing for the first time were too soft and get ruined very fastly. At that point Leonardo [Maddalena] started a battle against Ortiz and his n°2 Dome... Sadly for us the Spaniard lost a breaking point and crashed into our left side.
Here we lost the race and the podium: the guys worked well and fast, and in just 10 laps we already were on track with a new driveshaft [if I remember well the english word for that ]... but we discovered later that also the gearbox had been damaged and we had to retire just 10 minutes far from the chequered flag and some points, always useful for the champs.

Why did I told you this long story? Just to explain you why we lost the podium...and why, in my opinion, a fourth place wouldn't have been anything: we will do all the championship, and an occasion to get poitnts with a sure 0 for some fast team is an occasion to not regret. Yes, I know, that people think at us as we're just some crazy men who want tho fight against the armies [Racing for Holland, Pescarolo & Co.], but we're not: we're trying to do the best with the few money we can get in Italy [Ferrari is a big problem, for us] and I think we're already improved a lot.

See you everybody, and thanks for following motorsport with so much passion.... without you, fans, it would be impossible for us [the drivers] to do what we love to do: racing!

Last edited by Fulvio; 11 May 2003 at 23:43.
Old 12 May 2003, 00:04 (Ref:596468)   #52
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Well, welcome in, Signor Cavicchi. I hope (for your sake AND ours) that Durango do manage to become competitive in the SCC, and I hope that you/they plan to contest the Le Mans Tournament next year. I always rather liked the old GMS chassis that Durango ran a couple of years ago with Ayari at the wheel (if I recall correctly), and, let's face it, European prototype racing needs all the teams it can get.

So, Signor Cavicchi, do keep us posted.
Old 12 May 2003, 00:05 (Ref:596471)   #53
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
By the way, your English is excellent - much better than my Italian!!!
Old 12 May 2003, 00:25 (Ref:596482)   #54
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)
^___^

Call me Fulvio... I'm still just a guy as many of you [I'm just 23 years old ].

Thanks for the compliments on my english... but it's only merit of my university, which is an English University in Italy, so it's better for me to speak well :P

If you want, I can teach you some Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
and I hope that you/they plan to contest the Le Mans Tournament next year
Durango will contest Le Mans ALSO this year... in fact the team directly moved from France to Germany... and today the guys were a little bit tired [trad: they were sleeping all the time, during the travel back home ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
I always rather liked the old GMS chassis that Durango ran a couple of years ago with Ayari at the wheel (if I recall correctly),
The chassis that we're using now is still the GMS used by Ayari some years ago, with a Durango home made aereodynamic improvement... but now is called only Durango [the team got this year the constructor license]

Bye
Old 12 May 2003, 00:36 (Ref:596489)   #55
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
OK, Fulvio, as you will. I come to the depressing realisation that you're younger than me, but are racing in sportscars... ah well. Good luck to all of you at Durango; I applaud any team that runs in F3000 and sportscars simultaneously, and, as I say, European prototype racing needs all the friends it can get.

Kind offer to teach me Italian; but my fiancee is half-Italian, so I've got it covered...
Old 12 May 2003, 13:33 (Ref:596924)   #56
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
A great Welcome on the Ten-Tenths Sportscars forum, Fulvio, and I dare to name you by your first name because I'm MUCH older than you are...

That said, I think we're all happy to cheer a pilot among our members.

We had a great debate in the 'Le Mans PQ' thread about the Durango and its performances for the first Le Mans week-end of the year. You may enlight our point of view here... i have to precise that we're not very optimistic about the Durango performance at LM, beeing a little bit out of the pace of the other prototypes... what do you think ? Please don't hesitate to give your feeling about it on the appropriate thread : http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...908#post596908

Last edited by Fab; 12 May 2003 at 13:33.
Old 12 May 2003, 14:29 (Ref:596966)   #57
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To Fulvio:

The chassis looks a little different than the old pictures from the past.

I know you cannot go into specifics, but could you generally share some of the areas that the "homemade aerodynamic changes" addressed on the chassis???

It did seem to be much more competitive yesterday than at Estoril...

Also...

A second chassis is being readied or built for you???

Can we consider Durango a "Builder" now???

Your thoughts would be most welcome...

And speaking of "Welcome" -- welcome to this forum!!! we look forward to hearing from you on many matters...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 13 May 2003, 15:35 (Ref:598015)   #58
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)

No probs, I think I can go deep in the specific... I belive that nobody of the Bentley team is here in this forum just to copy our car

Durang is a builder, now.... The team took the new licese just this year... we have a person specialized in carbon fibre who stay at the factory just building the spare parts... whe're getting bigger

The team is now completing a brand new chassis, which will be (I hope ) ready to race for Le Mans. After the 24h both the cars will race in the FIA SCC whit these drivers:
Leonardo Maddalena - Michele Rugolo with the car they're using now

Fulvio Cavicchi (me ) and a second driver not ufficialized now [there's a big possibility to have a GREAT Italian driver, specialized in Sportcars... who drove in the past years expecially in the U.S. - Try to guess! ) with the new chassis.

The changes at the car:
the biggest work had been done on the fluidodynamic of the vehicle... In fact now we have a lot more speed.
Now the part of the bodywork over the tyres [I don't kwon the exact word in English ] is a lot smaller and lower, giving us a better aerodynamicl penetration...
Last year we had a lot of problems with the front brakes temperature... so, now, we created big holes on the sides, just after the tyres, and we solved the problem, having also the possibility to close the holes on the front, also useful for aero and for the front, who receive a lot more air wheight ----> more grip

The engine had been lowered, for a better set-up, and we're working [better, the technicians are working ] over new suspension, becouse we still have A LOT of mechanical understeering...

Final, but very useful, modification... we changed chief engineer, and you saw the results in Germany, with the car less than a second slower than Jan Lammers

Obviously we're not going to Le Mans to win.... we want to
1. finish the race
2. learn
3. improve the car
4. take datas for next year

So, you must look our trip to LM with a different eye respect Bentley, Audi, Pescarolo & co.

Now I'll go to the other thread to read what you said about us

See you!

Last edited by Fulvio; 13 May 2003 at 15:44.
Old 13 May 2003, 15:44 (Ref:598023)   #59
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To Fulvio:

IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!

It was my understanding from reading the ACO's "Peliminary Test Day Rules" that the car they inspected on May 2 or 3 would receive an "ACO Sticker" that would have to be the same car that was raced in June....and that the car, would not be able to be changed (other than some mechanical and/or maintenance items they allow for) for the June race

Is that not correct????

Or will the ACO allow you to bring the "New Car" that you hope will be ready to the Big Race in June???

Please let us know!!!!

We had a big discussion about this in another thread and the way the many readers interpreted that rule, the car that you ran on "Test Day" would be the car that you would have to race...

THanks!!!!

Old 13 May 2003, 15:49 (Ref:598031)   #60
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)
Your question is clever...
In fact we have the sticker on the old car... honestly I didn't know this thing, becouse I've not been in LM during the pre qualifying... but I saw the sticker.
Tomorrow I will go to the factory, and ask... Sadly there's a big possibility tha our team manager didn't know this rule [please, don't ask me to talk about our team manager... I don't know we an intelligent person like Ivone Pinton decided to give the direction of the program to him )

Tomorrow evening I'll post here the reponse

Last edited by Fulvio; 13 May 2003 at 15:50.
Old 13 May 2003, 15:54 (Ref:598037)   #61
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Sorry if I am the bearer of bad news....I hope that we were wrong, and that you will be able to run the new car....

If you go to the ACO's Official Le Mans Site, there are documents for the Preliminary Test Day that you can open and read....

Maybe we misunderstood what was written, but that was the interpretation we came up with from what we read...

Old 13 May 2003, 16:06 (Ref:598054)   #62
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)
Don't worry, Tim... the only difference between the old and the new is the the old is 20 kg more than the other... nothing more.... so it will not be a big problem to use the old one... The problem is that nobody noticed that rule... but having a team manager that speaks ONLY italian, it's difficult to travel around the globe... think that, in Estoril, I had to go with him at the Team managers' breafing to translate him what they were saying =___=

That's why I suppose you're right... It woulden't have been the first time he dosn't know a rule....

Ok, I think that you all understood that I don't like him a lot but the rest of the team is great... the guys are really good working on the car.. the press office run very well... the new engineer is very very experienced... and Ivone Pinton [the team owner] is an incredible person...

Please.. whatever race of the championsip you will go to see... came to our garage... I and the team will be very pleased to meet and talk with every fan of motorsport

Last edited by Fulvio; 13 May 2003 at 16:09.
Old 13 May 2003, 17:41 (Ref:598140)   #63
batcave
Rookie

batcave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to ten tenths Fulvio, i am one of the Taurus Lola drivers so i guess we shall be doing battle at Monza!!!!
Good luck.
Old 13 May 2003, 20:48 (Ref:598306)   #64
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
To Fulvio:

I'm glad that you're in on the ground floor of Durango's new venture as a "builder," and I wish them well for LM and you the very best for the rest of the FIA season...unfortunately, unless you come over for Petit LM or Sebring, I won't get the opportunity to meet you...

It is always good news when a company or a group decides to create new cars for this type of racing, and I hope all goes well as Durango builds, learns and grows....

By the Way...when we were loooking at pictures of your car on dailysportscar.com and comparing them to past photos of the Diurango chassis, a number of us noticed the front fender and front end changes, but we thought the side pods looked higher....now I know it is because the fender height were lowered....at least I'm observant...

To Batcave:

Now we have to figure out WHICH driver you are....will we get paddock tickets if we confirm it and guess correctly???

I'm still holding out hope that you'll get to race this June...I certainly feel that you deserve the slot before Team Sezio does, but only time and fate will tell....

To Both:

When you do compete against each other in upcoming FIA races, please share your thoughts about the events and your own performances with us after the races....

In the USA, we don't see ANY FIA-SCC racing at all, and we only see VERY LATE re-runs of FIA-GT on Speed Channel during the winter months, when the dreadful NASCAR is not running....

I'd love to get as much news about the series as possible from your perspectives....

Thanks!

Old 13 May 2003, 21:18 (Ref:598332)   #65
batcave
Rookie

Tim, it depends on how many we is! should not be a problem though so go for it. Little clue, i probably do more in the states than in Europe.
Old 13 May 2003, 23:59 (Ref:598387)   #66
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)
Quote:
Originally posted by batcave
Welcome to ten tenths Fulvio, i am one of the Taurus Lola drivers so i guess we shall be doing battle at Monza!!!!
Good luck.
Really? So we surely met each other in Estoril... at least at the breafing

So, now, I think I will start saying less about our technical stuff, 'couse there's an "enemy" here

What happened to your car in Portugal? It was a pity that stopped already before the green light... it was really fast!

And.. compliments for your team clothing... thy're really nicce.. all black with the brand in white... expecially the cap

For us Portugal has been a very bad race... our set-up was not good on dry condition... but absolutely terrible in the wet and I think that you noticed that the race was not dry

Why you didn't came in Germany?

For Tim
I will post you the results and my opinion.. don't worry... it will be a pleasure for me ^___^
In Italy is terribly difficult to find someone to talk with about motorsport... if you say the word "Ferrari", everybody is ready, but just becouse the saw it on TV.. but motorsport fans are rare... very rare... TOO MUCH RARE!
That's why I think I will use this forum to find someone with my same passion...

Last edited by Fulvio; 14 May 2003 at 00:04.
Old 14 May 2003, 05:43 (Ref:598475)   #67
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Stop the press for the pilots !

How honoured we are to have two pilots here to share our passion of sportscars ! And, Batcave and Fluvio, I assume we're all passionnated here !

To Fluvio : we've English, American, Dutch, German, Austrian, Belges, Portuguese, Canadian... and fans (and I certainly miss some countries !) ; and now Italian. This is the place to share a real international passion !

Last edited by Fab; 14 May 2003 at 05:43.
Old 14 May 2003, 05:58 (Ref:598480)   #68
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fulvio
Please.. whatever race of the championsip you will go to see... came to our garage... I and the team will be very pleased to meet and talk with every fan of motorsport
I didn't meet the pilots in the pit, but here's the Durango on the track...
Old 14 May 2003, 06:07 (Ref:598484)   #69
batcave
Rookie

Fab, I think you will find that is the Kondo Dome! Nice car though.
Old 14 May 2003, 06:25 (Ref:598489)   #70
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Re: Stop the press for the pilots !

To Fluvio : we've English, American, Dutch, German, Austrian, Belges, Portuguese, Canadian... and fans (and I certainly miss some countries !) ; and now Italian. This is the place to share a real international passion ! [/B][/QUOTE]

Fab: Dont forget the French!

Sorry: I just noticed the flag!

Last edited by Mal; 14 May 2003 at 06:26.
Old 14 May 2003, 06:49 (Ref:598497)   #71
Wout
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Wout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody know if/when the official FIA SCC is gonna be operational??
www.sportscarchampionship.com
Old 14 May 2003, 13:23 (Ref:598735)   #72
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Thanks for posting the Kondo photo...I asked a question on the Commitment of Dome thread about upgrades that RfH was running and whether or not those were incorporated onto the Kondo team's chassis...

Looks like the front end changes were, but the endplates were not....

Concerning the Durango...we did discuss changes we saw in the chassis, as noted in one of my messages above...but we had thought it was the "Raising of the Bridge as opposed to the Lowerting of the River" scenario (Sidepods vs. Fenders)...

If someone does have a picture (that is not copyrighted, or course), please post it...the car definitely looks more streamlined per the changes that Fulvio noted above....

Old 14 May 2003, 15:32 (Ref:598860)   #73
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wout
Does anybody know if/when the official FIA SCC is gonna be operational??
www.sportscarchampionship.com
It´s strange, isn´t it? I just can tell you in fact live timings will not be provided at all this year. Last year, it proved extremely costly and largely inaccurate according the championship organisation.
Old 14 May 2003, 15:37 (Ref:598864)   #74
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
They are 0 for 2 thus far this season....

Rebuilding a website that has all of the bells & whistles that a good site needs takes time...

unfortunately, they seemed to start their work on it the week that Estoril was run...

I don't expect a website before Monza....

They really dropped the ball on this one....big time....

Old 14 May 2003, 16:16 (Ref:598910)   #75
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Re: Stop the press for the pilots !

Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
To Fluvio : we've English, American, Dutch, German, Austrian, Belges, Portuguese, Canadian... and fans (and I certainly miss some countries !) ; and now Italian. This is the place to share a real international passion !
Fab: Dont forget the French!

Sorry: I just noticed the flag! [/B][/QUOTE]

Dont forget the Spanish, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, N Ireland.