Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Dec 2002, 07:23 (Ref:448062)   #1
BAGT
Rookie

BAGT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Radisich has his say.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sports/spo...ection=general
Old 12 Dec 2002, 08:25 (Ref:448099)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interested to read the article BAGT... weird that the Rat states that he too is a Ford factory driver, able to be shifted wherever Ford wants him.... I didnt understand this to be the case but as ever, I could be wrong...

The way I understood the scenario at Briggs, the management of Betta have a soft spot for Tony Longhurst, while the management of Ford have a soft spot for Paul Radisich, both effectively arguing over the same seat

The magic question is whose soft spot is softer? :confused:
Old 12 Dec 2002, 09:23 (Ref:448131)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to recall Howard Marsden saying a few months ago that they (ie Ford) are doing all the signing of drivers now not the teams (This may have been an interview shortly after it was announced Lowndes was changing to Ford..)
Old 12 Dec 2002, 10:42 (Ref:448172)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting to see that Bargs has been wearing nothing but FORD labeled clobber since Sandown, isn't he allowed to wear his Orrcon kit?
Old 12 Dec 2002, 23:12 (Ref:448712)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
maybe Orrcon arent in at Larko's team next year ????

or maybe Orrcon are having troubles getting their kiddy size range of clothes out ???

but yes its a bit odd isnt it.

Last edited by marcus; 12 Dec 2002 at 23:13.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 13:41 (Ref:449046)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For what it's worth, apparently Wilson did test for DJR the other week, and was 1/2 a sec inside the time set by a regular driver... hrmmm, it looks like the Rat might have to find a new nest...
Old 13 Dec 2002, 22:39 (Ref:449406)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ritter was the same sort of speed in front Crash.... and he got shafted for saying what he thought about his team mates' speed....
Old 14 Dec 2002, 11:43 (Ref:449735)   #8
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Orrcon ARE in a larko's next year. But I dont know about sponsors on Bargs Car they may be different in the "new Look Larkham Motorsport">
Old 14 Dec 2002, 19:58 (Ref:449980)   #9
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Wilson gets a drive with them next year. With a lil more control on the track, and a seasons experience behind him,he could definitely be right on the money next year.
The dude can certainly qualify!!!
Old 16 Dec 2002, 01:29 (Ref:450771)   #10
Forbesy
Racer

Forbesy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The truth sure hurts doesn't it DJR.....

The many DJR fans out there who keep defending the drivers, saying it's the car, the tyres etc. fault, well i'm not so sure. The way Ritter blew Johnson/Radisich into the weeds at Bathurst in a car that possibly didn't have as much attention given to it as #17, shows that maybe the drivers are part of the problem.

Wilson is certainly quick, once he sorts out his racecraft in these cars he'll be a gun. Remember Tander is his 1st year, all over the place. Once he found his feet things started to happen.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 05:48 (Ref:450829)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Apparently the problem with DJR is that it has been a rudderless ship in 2002, read into it what you like, but hopefully a whole heap of staff changes will change that.

To be honest, I hope they are in the ballpark with the BA, because I think Max still lacks the set up experience, say, John Bowe has. Fingers crossed, he has shown he has the nads, and DJR can produce very fast race cars, and with things falling into place and more experience under his belt, Max could be a force..
Old 16 Dec 2002, 05:54 (Ref:450837)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The story of DJR has always been the engine... the engine is sacrosanct, it absorbs the money, development and love, while the rest of the chassis has to make do.

It was like that in the Sierra days, and is still like that in the Falcon era. Unfortunately, some of the other teams have had the same amount of time as DJR at the engine game and are now on par, so the chassis failings are now more obvious than previously noted.

And I am sure DJ gets in the way in the workshop. He pays his professional people a fortune and still likes to potter around the place.

You might say its his privilege considering he owns the joint, but casting the minds back to Bathurst 1985, when LP ran the show, there were a certain amount of people allowed in the Perkins-run DJR garage, and key sponsors and the like were not included... and DJ needs to spend his time telling Shell all will be well instead of getting caught in the oily bits....

Just my opinion, likely to be as wrong as any other
Old 16 Dec 2002, 07:12 (Ref:450871)   #13
Forbesy
Racer

Forbesy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I agree GTR, though I think that the chassis side of things got much more attention back in the days of the Stone Bros ('92 - '95) who are known widely for their ability to tune a chassis to somewhat perfection. They've shown this with their ability to get the most out of the current AU, which is a less than easy thing to get a handle on. IMHO DJR has never been the same since the Stones left, and together with the depature of Bowe in '98 just compounded things.

They seemed to strike on the deal in 2001, but ever since then have gone backwards and never anywhere near the dominant levels that they have experienced in the past. I can't see DJR getting back to anywhere near the front of the pack in the near future unless their is a major clean out (at least 1 possibly 2 drivers) and a total restructure
of the whole operation. Both the Rat and Steve aren't known as great development drivers, maybe the team needs someone really strong in that area to help get back on its feet (aka JB). The current drivers seem to be able to take advantage of a strong car, but when the thing's struggling a bit, they seem to run into trouble.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 12:46 (Ref:451071)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
It's amazing in hindsight, everyone this time last year was saying that the Dunlop tyre would help teams like Dick's and Larry's, but nothing could be further from the truth...
Old 17 Dec 2002, 08:04 (Ref:451643)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think most teams have basically reached the limit of what the engines can do. With control aerodynamics and tyres they're all on a par there too, but where HRT have got an edge and others like DJR are struggling is in chassis developemnt.

There is still a lot of freedom in the suspension and an enormous amount of room for development. Any team that can suss this out will do well.
Old 18 Dec 2002, 04:30 (Ref:452349)   #16
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't buy the talk that the Rat is not a good development driver. In both his early Atlantic cars, US Supervee and in the Mondeo in europe he did a lot of good work. The operation hasn't been the same since the Stones left and a couple of years ago the Rat dominated Bathurst so was that the car or the driver or both? there is so little between the cars now that if the engineering isn't spot on you're in the back half of the field and it's the engineering that is letting DJR down, not the drivers. Its's too easy to bag the drivers(any drivers ) for poor car performance and it is usually only a part of the problem. Often a good driver will qualify badly in a poor car but haul it up through the race. When you see a driver do that you know its not the driver that is the problem.
Old 18 Dec 2002, 04:39 (Ref:452355)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The 1999 Bathurst speed related more to the correct application of light weight engine parts, including flywheels, pistons, conrods and other internals that made the engines rev faster to their limit, for no extra power specifically, just a faster application of power.

If you watch the telecast of that event, the car is a rocket up the straights but comes almost to a standstill at the stop/go stuff..

And it was all for nought as impatience knocked off the radiator hose and the car failed.

DJR's engineering team in 2002 was dreadful, but the drivers never took the conservative route, always pushing way beyond reasonable limits, destroying engines, tyres and chassis along the way.
Old 18 Dec 2002, 04:44 (Ref:452360)   #18
PEPSI
Racer

PEPSI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by greg.n
Often a good driver will qualify badly in a poor car but haul it up through the race. When you see a driver do that you know its not the driver that is the problem.
If the car is lacking rear end grip and keeps cooking the tyres even Michael Schumacher can't help but as stated, it would be up to Michael to help set the car up right in the first place
Old 18 Dec 2002, 04:47 (Ref:452363)   #19
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don;t think anyone has said the Rat is a poor or bad driver - he has the record to fall back on.

But what people are saying is that he seems incapable of returning a car in the condition it was given to him.

Plus - car or otherwise, his results the past 2 years are certainly indiciative of a major problem.