Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Mar 2003, 10:56 (Ref:523308)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
How will they get around team orders?

Ok, team orders are banned this season, but will it stop the teams implementing them this season?

And if it doesn't, what ways will the teams come up with the get round it?

Back in 1998, we saw Eddie Irvine have "brake problems" at Austria when the ban on team orders was last in place, yet the FIA did nothing about it.

Thats the sort of thing i'm looking at. What do you reckon?
Old 3 Mar 2003, 11:05 (Ref:523314)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How will they get around? If the situation arises, (and I highlight IF; that does not happen every race) there are various ways to get around it: an unschedulled pit stop to replenish whatever Nitrogene supply or check whatever tyre pressure etc. But most probable is that the team in question will stage a race: 2 laps running wheel to wheel, passing and repassing each other several times, etc while the spectators wet their pants in ecstasy. As I said and will say in the future, a cynical but honest attitude is always preferrable to hypocrisy.

As for "hold station" teamorders, no problem here. And actually those cases are more likely to happen. So no big deal with the "ban teamorders" rule, just Max selling big words.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 11:14 (Ref:523321)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
an unschedulled pit stop to replenish whatever Nitrogene supply or check whatever tyre pressure etc.
Thats the idea
Old 3 Mar 2003, 11:30 (Ref:523331)   #4
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari will never be stopped,
Pre-arranged order,
subliminal messages through pit boards,
they'll make sure that Rubens gives way,
bodges pit stops, unsheduled pit stopes,
engine/brake/suspension/etc problems.
the possibilities are endless.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 11:30 (Ref:523332)   #5
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Thats the idea
I doubt that will happen, and I mean at any of them. Of course the plan means to allow one of the driver to get more points without the second driver losing positions to the competitors.

Only "do not pass" orders will be.

PS: Sheese Smokey. I liked the "subliminal" part... Perhaps they'd try some post hypnosis suggestions too hmmm?

Last edited by Red; 3 Mar 2003 at 11:33.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 11:33 (Ref:523336)   #6
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And now that the two way telemetry is to be banned, MS won't be able to use the "Rubens Blowup" button...
Old 3 Mar 2003, 11:35 (Ref:523340)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
To my knowledge, car-to-car telemetry was banned even when pit-to-car telemetry was allowed..
Old 3 Mar 2003, 11:35 (Ref:523341)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
"Rubens, how many nuts can you see on the back of Michaels gearbox?" "Could you check to see if any of them are loose?" "Is Michael's rear tyre a little flat?" "Is Michael's car leaking water?" "Michael just ran over a rabbit, so could you go check if it has damaged the rear suspension"

I am sure, with a little imagination, you can think of a few more.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 13:23 (Ref:523419)   #9
eein
Racer

eein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course teams will find subtle was around it. But remember why the no rules thing is in place - to make the sport look better. So I reckon, so long as the teams do it subtly, maybe even with a bit of excitement thown in, then the FIA won't be too bothered.

Other teams will accuse each other of cheating, fans will come up with consipracy theories, but so long as there is a good show going on, then thats fine with me!

Iain
Old 3 Mar 2003, 13:34 (Ref:523434)   #10
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If williams or mac try anything it will be obvious and clumsy.the fia will fine them.

when ferrari do it ,it will be slightly better.Enough so that the fia won't do anything or procrastinate or(worst of all!!!!!!),max will preach at us
Old 3 Mar 2003, 23:26 (Ref:523970)   #11
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately i see no way around team orders as the teams will always come up with some new excuse when the occasion arises, i just hope that if they clamp down on team orders all teams are treated equally.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 00:12 (Ref:524015)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
But how will the FIA know if it was a team order or a "mechanical problem" with one of the cars? The FIA saying that team orders will be banned is all well and good, but how will they "police" it? These guys in charge of the teams are very clever chappies!
Old 4 Mar 2003, 01:56 (Ref:524062)   #13
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr m is a very clever chappy too!!He must be ,cause he tells us so several hundred times a year!!!LOL
Old 4 Mar 2003, 06:26 (Ref:524153)   #14
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
What does he tell us? That he's clever or that he can police it? And why do I doubt both assertions?
Old 4 Mar 2003, 11:36 (Ref:524356)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whatever they do, it will be a hell of a lot more subtle than Austria last year!
Old 5 Mar 2003, 07:15 (Ref:525301)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
From F1-Live:

Ferrari won't allow competition between their two drivers, Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello and Head is far from being in agreement with the way they operate.

"Luca Montezemolo must have been the originator of that view, but whether people are purely driven by improving a brand and strengthening a potential share price, it is not what I call motor racing," Head said. "I am not being old-fashioned. I will hold this view until I leave Formula One. I don't respect Ferrari's view and the view held by Jean Todt and Ross Brawn. And I find it interesting that, despite the edict of the FIA (in banning team orders this season), they come out and still say they will put the interests of Ferrari ahead of creating any spectacle on the track."
Old 5 Mar 2003, 07:20 (Ref:525302)   #17
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A load of Hogwash coming from Head!
Old 5 Mar 2003, 07:34 (Ref:525311)   #18
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I think Head is closer to the pulse than you are, Jukes. And whether you like team orders or not, I think Head's views are spot on. Nothing in there that I would say is not correct.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 08:06 (Ref:525336)   #19
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's just trying to swerve the focus away from his own problems Valve....his FW25

It's an old issue anyway, where's the credibility of him in saying all those lies right now when the season hasn't started yet :confused: ....he must have a very powerful crystal ball or he's a soothsayer
Old 5 Mar 2003, 08:30 (Ref:525353)   #20
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not to be cynical...but the alledged role he played in "exchange" with Mclaren in Jerez 97 isn't what i called motor-racing either, and neither is trying to put one of the small teams out of business.

Talk about respect... its funny when people just criticise their peers without a self-reflection.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 08:34 (Ref:525356)   #21
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't deny that Ferrari's policy towards team-orders is carried a bit to far when compared relative to other teams... and that to some degree, Patrick is correct. However, when taking into account the timing he voiced these "opinions", it's hard to ignore his real intentions and the motives behind.
Old 5 Mar 2003, 10:23 (Ref:525440)   #22
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubenho will always have exactly one more fuel stop that TGF, and his tank will always be topped off.

Old 5 Mar 2003, 10:27 (Ref:525443)   #23
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
And how is Rubens supposed to come second in the races and championship in those conditions? Any other ideas?
Old 5 Mar 2003, 10:38 (Ref:525460)   #24
Gt_R
Veteran

WoWWWW! Brawn is a far better strategist then i have thought...

I mean, it surely isn't easy planning for the number of cock-ups and failures for Rubens so that he doesn't get the better of MS, yet can still stay in front of the rest...

Conspiracy theories on Ferrari/MS will NEVER end....
We have it with the TC issue...and when it is proved a silly accusation with TC legalisation...We have the FIA-pro-Ferrari story...which of course is again proved dumb when FIA tried to help Mclaren/Williams close gap to Ferrari...now we have all the stories of Rubens being sabotaged or malnutritioned...
Old 5 Mar 2003, 10:41 (Ref:525461)   #25
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
"Malnutritioned" Brilliant Gt_R, how come that noone saw that obvious fact! (Gt_R, wanna bet that the next theory is that Ferrari deliberately make Rubens too fat? )