Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Feb 2008, 05:13 (Ref:2125399)   #1876
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard the one that was badly shunted in NZ ('87 IIRC) was a write off... Could be wrong though...
Old 10 Feb 2008, 10:11 (Ref:2125598)   #1877
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Wellington crash was in the January Nissan-Mobil 500 that year. In the WTCC event held at the end of the year, Robbie Kerr did compete in a Mustang, coloured white.... was this the same car, a different car, a re-shell??
Old 10 Feb 2008, 10:32 (Ref:2125604)   #1878
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunno about 1980-81, but in 1982, the HDT were apparently using Jongbloed wheels with Harrop heat shields (which they had used since 1979).

The DJR Mustang in the Bowden Collection is the ex-Love machine, which I think was the newer of the two cars (ie, the car used from the 1985 enduroes onward). The other, older car was the unit that practiced at Bathurst in 194, ran the 1985 ATCC, appeared at Bathurst as #18 in practice, ran the Nissan-Mobil races in JPS black, and was used as T-car at Bathurst tha year... and which DJ pranged hard while sharing with new owner Robbie Ker at the Nissan-Mobil races in 1987. While DJ's column in Chequered Flag at the time had the car written off, other reports would suggest that Ker repaired/rebodied it... but some confirmation would be nice...
Old 10 Feb 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2125704)   #1879
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Just 2 years ago.. a clapped out old Perkins VS with worn out parts was worth $80,000!

What a rip off!!!!!!

'Tis a neat matching set with the VS and VR units in correct specification, but none the less, surely there will be no buyers!

How much is a championship winning F1 chassis, say a ex-Schumi Benetton? Surely not much more or about the same price, that price for the supercars must be well out of whack???
Old 10 Feb 2008, 22:05 (Ref:2126035)   #1880
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group'C'
Can any won help with a good pic of the wheels that where run on the 80 MHDT cars with and without the Disc covers??
Any body know who made them ?
MHDT ran "Jongbloed" wheels in 1980 and then a Harrop/Whitehorse Industries copy/replica of the Jongbloed up until the momo was introduced for the Enduro's in 1983.

There are some MHDT cars and replica's around that currently run Simmons hidden under the brake vanes, this is incorrect. MHDT never ran Simmons.

The Jongbloed wheels are now made in Victoria, PM me with your email and I can give you the details and photo's etc.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 02:08 (Ref:2126162)   #1881
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebberForWDC
Just 2 years ago.. a clapped out old Perkins VS with worn out parts was worth $80,000!

What a rip off!!!!!!

'Tis a neat matching set with the VS and VR units in correct specification, but none the less, surely there will be no buyers!

How much is a championship winning F1 chassis, say a ex-Schumi Benetton? Surely not much more or about the same price, that price for the supercars must be well out of whack???
I believe one of them was for sale for 40K actually.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2126298)   #1882
kb5832
Rookie

Australia
South Australia
kb5832 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

What a rip off!!!!!!

Is there any chance of a MAJOR mis-print???????

Sorry to harp on the Heffernan issue, but DOES anyone know whether this car is a DENCAR chassis?
Old 11 Feb 2008, 12:08 (Ref:2126448)   #1883
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

What a rip off!!!!!!

I thought Mr Brant's IRCA concern was charged with reproducing Perkins Engineering specifications for both chassis... they look a lot better in the photos that Mr Perkins' cars tended to do....

$850k is $425k each, inclusive of GST.... around V8Supercar territory
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Feb 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2126466)   #1884
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bl00dy expensive territory, I'd say. There are plenty of taxis advertised for around the $100K mark, but if these cars can command that sort of money it only serves to push up the value of my car so it's ok with me.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2126486)   #1885
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
Bl00dy expensive territory, I'd say. There are plenty of taxis advertised for around the $100K mark, but if these cars can command that sort of money it only serves to push up the value of my car so it's ok with me.
Hi Dave,

Will catch up soon.

GTR. Can you set up a new thread, "Collectable Race Cars - Dreamers Inc"! I'm with Dave, I would love for these cars to sell for that kind of money, V8SC vs Group C & A, because whatever the HTCEC of the CAMS (or their nameless advisers) reckon my piece of tin is, it can only be a bonus.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 23:30 (Ref:2126863)   #1886
Bimmerhead
Racer

Bimmerhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tell 'em they're dreamin'...............
Old 11 Feb 2008, 23:46 (Ref:2126874)   #1887
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerhead
Tell 'em they're dreamin'...............
I only believe prices at auction. Not all that popular in Aus.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 01:20 (Ref:2126913)   #1888
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At the weekend, the two Perkins Castrol Commodores were parked about 2m from the '86 DJR Mustang in the Bathurst museum... freaky...
Old 12 Feb 2008, 02:19 (Ref:2126929)   #1889
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test
At the weekend, the two Perkins Castrol Commodores were parked about 2m from the '86 DJR Mustang in the Bathurst museum... freaky...
Wow crashman, that is freaky...

Now this begs the question -is the DJR Mustang in the Bathurst Muesum the ex-Love or ex-Ker entry?

Is the ex-Love machine on loan to the muesum from the Bowden's or did the Ker Crash car get rescued from the wrecking yard and restored ?
Old 12 Feb 2008, 02:23 (Ref:2126931)   #1890
PE 030
Rookie

PE 030 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose the value can only be determined by how much the eventual buyer is willing to pay.

The current owner paid $840,000 for the pair nearly 18 months ago and had them advertised for 1.3 million at the Muscle Car Masters and has since reduced the price to 1 million then now $850,000 ono.

Personally I think the whole collectable car market was over inflated up until the last 6 months or so and it has now taken a bit of a dive.

Phase 111's that were fetching $750,000 plus are struggling to create genuine interest over the $500,000 mark at the moment.

It will certainly be interesting to see what they do sell for.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 04:38 (Ref:2126962)   #1891
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PE 030
I suppose the value can only be determined by how much the eventual buyer is willing to pay.

The current owner paid $840,000 for the pair nearly 18 months ago and had them advertised for 1.3 million at the Muscle Car Masters and has since reduced the price to 1 million then now $850,000 ono.

Personally I think the whole collectable car market was over inflated up until the last 6 months or so and it has now taken a bit of a dive.

Phase 111's that were fetching $750,000 plus are struggling to create genuine interest over the $500,000 mark at the moment.

It will certainly be interesting to see what they do sell for.
All over the world the market is ready to bust. I think we are headed towards an early 1990's market with collectible cars and their values dropping fast.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 05:09 (Ref:2126967)   #1892
Bimmerhead
Racer

Bimmerhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PE 030
So what you're saying is that the current owner is looking for someone as crazy as he/she is............
Old 12 Feb 2008, 05:24 (Ref:2126974)   #1893
PE 030
Rookie

PE 030 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerhead
So what you're saying is that the current owner is looking for someone as crazy as he/she is............
No mate not calling him crazy at all.

That would be disrespectful after he was kind enough to hand me over the 840K in the first place

But then again people called me crazy when I handed over $70,000 for the 97winner some 6 years ago now
Old 12 Feb 2008, 06:21 (Ref:2126982)   #1894
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You see month in, month out the same GT's / Torana's still for sale in Unique Cars and on one particular muscle car site with highly inflated prices. Very few are selling. To my understanding only a handlful of GT's (less than 3) ever sold for over 500K.

I can also think of numerous Group A cars that have been on My105 for 3-6 months......
Old 14 Feb 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2128526)   #1895
Suttory
Racer

Australia
Too far away from a racetrack !
Suttory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can some one help me out with these ones. What ever happened to the following Toyota Dealer Team cars. I want to know the history and where abouts of the Group A Toyota Supra, the Group A Corollas used at Bathurst 92 (the Bargwanna and Bates cars) and Bond and Smith's Corolla Seca from 93. Thanks in advance.

"You could call it Falcon Unbelievable!"
Old 14 Feb 2008, 09:49 (Ref:2128563)   #1896
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Smith raced the Gp A Supra (later model) at Eastern Creek not so long ago, dont know who owns it, btu it looked like it had been in a shed sindce 1991 (?)
Old 17 Feb 2008, 09:37 (Ref:2130733)   #1897
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood-duck
Wow crashman, that is freaky...

Now this begs the question -is the DJR Mustang in the Bathurst Muesum the ex-Love or ex-Ker entry?

Is the ex-Love machine on loan to the museum from the Bowden's or did the Ker Crash car get rescued from the wrecking yard and restored ?
Purchased a copy of the Feb '87 Chequered Flag magazine at a swap meet today, has a pretty good photo of the Muzzy with bent front (LH Mainly) certainly doesn't look bad enough to throw away. Remembering in those days cars had a lot more rudimentary cages and mustang shells weren't in abundance in Aus/NZ. Interestingly it had the single nut on it at that meeting, I thought Larry converted them (Back) to 5 stud configuration after the wheel came loose at Bathurst in '85?

Anyone?

Has some good photos from the Nissan Mobil 500. Ill have to try and scan them and put them up.

I hope that I won't be offending anyone from a now defunct mag if I reproduce the shots here??
Old 17 Feb 2008, 10:01 (Ref:2130742)   #1898
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
Purchased a copy of the Feb '87 Chequered Flag magazine at a swap meet today, has a pretty good photo of the Muzzy with bent front (LH Mainly) certainly doesn't look bad enough to throw away. Remembering in those days cars had a lot more rudimentary cages and mustang shells weren't in abundance in Aus/NZ. Interestingly it had the single nut on it at that meeting, I thought Larry converted them (Back) to 5 stud configuration after the wheel came loose at Bathurst in '85?

Anyone?

Has some good photos from the Nissan Mobil 500. Ill have to try and scan them and put them up.

I hope that I won't be offending anyone from a now defunct mag if I reproduce the shots here??
Dick's Mustangs were always fitted with Centrelock single wheel nuts, as has every subsequent DJR car.
Old 17 Feb 2008, 10:03 (Ref:2130743)   #1899
cornermsport
Racer

Australia
near Oran Park NSW
cornermsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
John Smith raced the Gp A Supra (later model) at Eastern Creek not so long ago, dont know who owns it, btu it looked like it had been in a shed sindce 1991 (?)
IIRC John Smith still actually owns the Supra. It has been used on various private practice days, but the TRD components within it are worth a bomb if broken, so it doesn't get much use.
Old 17 Feb 2008, 11:17 (Ref:2130776)   #1900
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suttory
Can some one help me out with these ones. What ever happened to the following Toyota Dealer Team cars. I want to know the history and where abouts of the Group A Toyota Supra, the Group A Corollas used at Bathurst 92 (the Bargwanna and Bates cars) and Bond and Smith's Corolla Seca from 93. Thanks in advance.
There were two Supras Turbos, both IIRC still with original owners, Mr. Smith (white car) and Mr. Willmington (red car). The Williamson Celica Supra wasmuch talked about earlier in the thread.

There were two Super Touring Corolla Secas, one or both passed on to the very short lived Inspired Racing. The White/yellow/blue car was damaged in a Forrests Elbow collision with a Puegeot 405 (I think the Phoenix Motorsport car rather than the Darrel Dixon car) at Bathurst '94 with I think Garry Jones driving early in the race and was repaired for the Calder night meeting in 95 with Melinda Price driving but then they disappeared.

Last edited by Falcadore; 17 Feb 2008 at 11:20.