Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Sep 2001, 12:22 (Ref:148651)   #1
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
The Moon Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worst Sporting Moments...

How about Suzuka '90 when Senna rammed Prost off at the first corner - the motor racing equivalent of the professional foul...

And it won Senna the title that year!
Old 20 Sep 2001, 14:28 (Ref:148704)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I take it your memory doesn't stretch to 1989

Prost started it with anotehr piece of the cynical and calculated chicanery which many modern racers sadly are slaves to
Old 20 Sep 2001, 16:26 (Ref:148724)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can feel this one about to go pear shaped!

As a moment this does stand out.

For what is worth (which isn't a lot) my (brief) take on it is that Senna did indeed take Prost off for revenge for '89 and starting in the wrong side (etc..), but I don't think Prost did do anything on purpose in '89.

Despite all that unpleasantness those were great days.

Senna and Prost, legends both.
Old 20 Sep 2001, 18:45 (Ref:148785)   #4
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was Balestre fault!!
Old 21 Sep 2001, 10:25 (Ref:149091)   #5
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula One misses rivalry like that these days. Being an avid Alain Prost fan i can remember feeling alot of bitterness towards Senna while today theres just noone with any rivalry.
Old 21 Sep 2001, 11:09 (Ref:149109)   #6
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't believe no one has mentioned M. Schumacher yet!

Oh well, as I always remain neutral in these I hate TGF - I love TGF debates, I won't bring his name up.
Old 21 Sep 2001, 12:11 (Ref:149122)   #7
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
The Moon Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can I mention Adelaide 94 and Jerez 97...?
Old 21 Sep 2001, 14:16 (Ref:149153)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pironi stealing victory from under Gilles nose at Imola in 1982.
Old 21 Sep 2001, 15:12 (Ref:149181)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Pironi stealing victory from under Gilles nose at Imola in 1982."

To me, that's the worst in F1 history. Not even Prost/Senna incident got close to the ugliness of Pironi's disgusting deed - betraying a trusting friend!

Old 21 Sep 2001, 20:19 (Ref:149262)   #10
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
"Pironi stealing victory from under Gilles nose at Imola in 1982."

To me, that's the worst in F1 history. Not even Prost/Senna incident got close to the ugliness of Pironi's disgusting deed - betraying a trusting friend!

...and the consequences were even worse.
Old 22 Sep 2001, 09:53 (Ref:149448)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as i know Pironi never received an order to slow down, but i am probably wrong, anyone know the truth.

Senna's move at the chicane in 89 was a bit ambitious, and while Prost didn't give him any room, he didn't purposely block senna, though i don't think the resulting crash really bothered him, the crash in 1990 was wholly and solely Senna's fault, just becuase he didn't get to start on the left side of the track doesn't mean he can put driver's lives in jeapordy.

As for Schumacher, it was blatently his fault in 94 at Adelaide, the replay clearly shows his right rear wheel was bent after he hit the wall, and when he sees Hill he just turned in.

Another moment, Adelaide 1989. Prost pulls off after 1 lap, some drivers (who didn't want to start) not getting into their cars until after Senna had started the warm-up lap, and then they all had to start BEHIND the medical cars.

Then Senna, who had not hidden his determination to race in the wet conditions, running up to the stewards office after he had retired after running up the back of Martin Brundle down Brabham Straight, saying that the conditions were too dangerous and the race should be stopped!!!!!! how does that work???????
Old 22 Sep 2001, 10:48 (Ref:149452)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
As far as i know Pironi never received an order to slow down, but i am probably wrong, anyone know the truth.
According to everything that I have read, at the start the Renault and Ferrari teams had agreed to keep the pace down and keep it interesting for the spectators, as only 14 cars had started.

When both Renaults blew up (like usual! ) it was left to the Ferrari's to fight it out.

With a few laps left, a board was hung out saying Fuel critical, hold stations (something along those lines) while Gilles was out in front. This was a concrete decision: Gilles was now to win no matter what. However, Pironi broke that agreement by overtaking Gilles on the last lap and Gilles would had to have taken him out to regain the position.

Less than 2 weeks later, Gilles was killed, still furious over the incident.
Old 22 Sep 2001, 12:43 (Ref:149482)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by jetsetter
Formula One misses rivalry like that these days. Being an avid Alain Prost fan i can remember feeling alot of bitterness towards Senna while today theres just noone with any rivalry.
Just take a little closer look at JPM and Ralfie...
Old 23 Sep 2001, 02:33 (Ref:149648)   #14
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm prepared to let Schumacher go on the Adelaide '94 incident, but never Jerez '97.
Old 23 Sep 2001, 15:17 (Ref:149791)   #15
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
I'm prepared to let Schumacher go on the Adelaide '94 incident, but never Jerez '97.
IMO it should be the other way round...
Old 23 Sep 2001, 16:43 (Ref:149836)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
None of them, in fact.
Old 23 Sep 2001, 16:51 (Ref:149839)   #17
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
i think what he did in those 2 races was really wrong - but you have to admire the guys desire to win !!!! it just shows that to him winning is everything and thats great!

But we do need a new rivalary!
Old 23 Sep 2001, 18:52 (Ref:149887)   #18
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jiggly_puff
But we do need a new rivalary!
How about Sato Vs Kimi for the 2002 WDC???
Old 23 Sep 2001, 19:02 (Ref:149891)   #19
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
a new rivalry, i think that as was mentioned previously in this post, it should be RS vs. JPM - just look now...Ralf again is getting stuffed by his team-mate in the latter stages of the year...it could swing either way.

to be honest, i think that at the mo ralf is the better driver, montoya is faster!
Old 23 Sep 2001, 19:12 (Ref:149896)   #20
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by LucaBadoer

How about Sato Vs Kimi for the 2002 WDC???
How about Kimi and DC for No. 1 driver at Mclaren?
Old 23 Sep 2001, 21:25 (Ref:149993)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by jiggly_puff

How about Kimi and DC for No. 1 driver at Mclaren?
Jiggles, do you mean put the two in the same car ??????
Old 24 Sep 2001, 06:25 (Ref:150132)   #22
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Button and Trulli at Renault next year, especially after turn 1 at Monza.
Old 24 Sep 2001, 09:56 (Ref:150185)   #23
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
How about Button and Trulli at Renault next year, especially after turn 1 at Monza.
But Button won't be at Renault next year!!

They have now realised the young lad is completely useless. He should count himself lucky if he gets a seat at all next year.

He should go back to F3 and learn how to race a bit better and not try and kamikaze his opponents out, particularly poor Jarno Trulli.
Old 24 Sep 2001, 09:58 (Ref:150186)   #24
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can I nominate the Australian GP of a couple of years ago when Mika and David decided who was going to win, even if it meant David wandering around going "no, please, after you when Mika fouled up a pit call.

Some of us had been waiting all winter for a motor race, and had stayed up all night for the privilege.

Not a great sporting moment.
Old 24 Sep 2001, 10:14 (Ref:150194)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought that was very sporting of DC to do that.