Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 18 Aug 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1685927)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Changed front tyres, now get massive understeer...?

Hey there,

I have changed my front tyres as my last set were bald and failed the MOT, but now I have changed tyres, I get slight understeer in the dry, and massive understeer in the wet.

Why is this and is there anything I can do about it?
Old 18 Aug 2006, 13:14 (Ref:1685978)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
A few thoughts.

Firstly, how many miles have they done? New tyres will have a mould release agent on the treads which will take a while to wear off, but you shouldn't have any problems with it after 50-100 miles.

Have you checked the pressures?

Are they a different make of tyre to those they replaced? Different tyres will have different levels of grip - you get what you pay for.

Are they the corrct tyres for the car?

It may just be that they need a few miles to 'bed in' - you should put at least 500 miles on new tyres before starting to use them 'aggressively'.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 18:22 (Ref:1686201)   #3
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If your previous tyres were completely worn out chances are that you were effectively running on "slicks" (who seays you don't learn anything from auto-racing?) However, as Dave mentioned, tyres do take a while to reach their optimal performance.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 22:26 (Ref:1686350)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
bit of what dave says really, my first instinct is to ask :are they actually any good? i got a shoddy set of tyres put on the front of one of my previous cars (it was going to be sold soon after - no point in wasting money), and they made it handle horribly. i'm not sure it ever went round a corner at anything more than 50mph after that :/
Old 19 Aug 2006, 06:58 (Ref:1686463)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
What car, what tyres did you have and what have you changed them for and are they suitable for the car?
I am guessing that you have a front wheel drive car, they are prone to under-steer anyway and your new tyres could be making this more noticable.

If your rear tyres are the same make as the old fronts you could try swapping them round and seeing if there is an improvement.
Other than that it could be that your new tyres are not as good as the old ones or not correct for the car.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1686509)   #6
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you can drive on bald tyres and not notice and then change tyres and now notice massive understeer on the road, I'm glad you're not on the road near me!

You get massive understeer on anything in the wet if you go too fast...