Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 20 Oct 2003, 04:56 (Ref:756540)   #1
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Le Mans Classic 2004

Just to mention that Le Mans Classic 2004 is now on line...

I especially noticed this :
- 366 competing cars...
- six grids (instead of 5 last year) :
Grid 1, cars from 1923 to 1939
Grid 2, cars from 1949 to 1956
Grid 3, cars from 1957 to 1961
Grid 4, cars from 1962 to 1965
Grid 5, cars from 1966 to 1971
Grid 5, cars from 1972 to 1978

Nice, isn't it ?

Last edited by Fab; 20 Oct 2003 at 05:43.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 09:21 (Ref:756703)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, shame is 6 weeks after the main event though..........
Old 20 Oct 2003, 10:17 (Ref:756762)   #3
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and a waste of time. There is no need closing a public road for such a pointless spectacle; all you do with this is tick off the locals. The Historics can run on the Bugatti track just the same.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 10:21 (Ref:756766)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ture, but it wouldn't be the same would it........
Old 20 Oct 2003, 10:24 (Ref:756769)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I suppose in the grand scheme, they are all pointless spectacles aren't they? Nice event.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 10:28 (Ref:756773)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some have less of a point than others, though. (to put it bluntly )
Old 20 Oct 2003, 11:27 (Ref:756836)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cybersdorf, go see the event before dismissing it as pointless. I do declare, if the sight of the great cars on the 24 hour circuit does not stir your blood, I would urge you to check your pulse.

I don't subscribe to the view that the contest is any the less valid just because it is populated by privateers in historic cars. These competitors race as hard as anyone in the contemporary race and it is fair to say that some of the cream of the entry would probably not be keen to make the effort if the Classic were held on the Bugatti Circuit.

Besides, the Bugatti is set aside for displays of visiting classic road-cars, brought by the tens of thousands of spectators who are there specifically to see the Le Mans cars on the proper track.

As for antagonising the locals - well, apart from the industrial units on the Hunaudieres, just about everyone else wins. The hoteliers, the restaurateurs, the patisseries, even the supermarket in Monce en Belin get my business for a week which they wouldn't otherwise do.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 12:27 (Ref:756898)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
...and a waste of time. There is no need closing a public road for such a pointless spectacle; all you do with this is tick off the locals. The Historics can run on the Bugatti track just the same.

You cannot be serious?

I loved every moment of last year's Classic - to my mind it was every bit as good as (perhaps even better?) than the June event. The fact that the cars were allowed to run on the full circuit was a great deal more than just the icing on the cake. It was a fantastic weekend which simply wouldn't have been done justice on the Bugatti. I can say quite frankly that I wouldn't have gone had it not been on the full circuit, and I suspect that several of the drivers and owners that I went with for the weekend wouldn't have bothered had the event been on the Bugatti.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 12:36 (Ref:756911)   #9
ginettag27
Racer

ginettag27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree, last year's Classic was, in a way, a more interesting and certainly inviting event than LM 'proper'. I know there were some problems leading up to it, but as long as it's well attended, then local businesses must surely benefit. Will certainly be going. Which reminds me must dig out some of my photos..

EPS

edited to remlove url in sig.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 20 Oct 2003 at 12:46.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 14:05 (Ref:757021)   #10
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
why would I care if they close a public road down in France ??? ..
it is much nicer to see the cars down the long straights .. even if not at full speed...

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Oct 2003, 14:49 (Ref:757084)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes Indeed the classic race is a great event and well worth having - one day I will make the trip over for both events. As it is at the moment I havent been for either. By the way is it true that some of the top cars actually lap faster than some of the GT cars do in the main event? If this is so its still a very impressive pace - even if they are not running at their full potential.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 15:11 (Ref:757112)   #12
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, there is a real mystique to see classic sports cars run on the course they used to run on. I believe HSR has some of the largest enduro fields of the year at the Daytona HSR finale. Some cars have only run the Daytona event because those cars had history there.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 18:29 (Ref:757298)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't got any speeds etc. immediately to hand from last year's Classic but I doubt that Rahal and Redman were hanging about in the 917! I would certainly expect the fastest guys in the Classic to be running quicker than, say, a GT Porsche.

(In case you suspect a degree of favourtism towards the classic cars from one who doesn't exactly fall over himself with enthusiasm for GTs, I will be happy to be proved wrong.... )
Old 22 Oct 2003, 08:36 (Ref:759151)   #14
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
The fastest lap was set by... Willy Green in the Ligier JS2, in 4'24"735, as fast as the slowest GTs in 2003 (both TVRs and the GT Maranello were slower)...

Cy, are you serious ? I'm not sure...

This may have been the greatest event of the last years in Le Mans, and the next one will be a enormous success, according to ACO's desk : they've a lot of questionning by customers, fans and teams...

Can't wait !

Last edited by Fab; 22 Oct 2003 at 08:37.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 09:07 (Ref:759191)   #15
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Checked : the fastest lap was done by Mark Hales (1970 Ferrari 512S) on lap 3 in 3'24"658 (115.372 mph/185.673kmh).

Sorry for Willy !
Old 22 Oct 2003, 10:54 (Ref:759276)   #16
917Addicted
Racer

917Addicted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How is that Fab??????????????

I think you've got your numbers wrong. A 3'24''658 lap is way faster than the quoted 185.673Km/h.

Last edited by 917Addicted; 22 Oct 2003 at 10:55.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 10:55 (Ref:759278)   #17
bigh
Racer

bigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3'24.658"!!! Was Jean Luc Pickard driving it Fab?
Old 22 Oct 2003, 12:06 (Ref:759386)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
3m24 would have been a sensational lap........
Old 22 Oct 2003, 12:29 (Ref:759431)   #19
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I feel a coming soon from Fab!
Old 22 Oct 2003, 12:51 (Ref:759463)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
As sure as eggs is eggs (or s is s..... )
Old 22 Oct 2003, 18:00 (Ref:759813)   #21
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

What did I put this huge ???

It FOUR minutes, not THREE !!!

Stop laughing here !!!
Old 22 Oct 2003, 21:25 (Ref:759997)   #22
917Addicted
Racer

917Addicted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
What did I put this huge ???

It FOUR minutes, not THREE !!!

Stop laughing here !!!
Rotfl
Old 23 Oct 2003, 08:39 (Ref:760365)   #23
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Originally posted by 917Addicted
Rotfl
I saw you !!! This deserves a warning !
Old 23 Oct 2003, 09:43 (Ref:760431)   #24
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
And I have another to mention : those lap times are from the 2003 support race, not from the 2002 Classic meeting...
Old 23 Oct 2003, 09:50 (Ref:760440)   #25
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by bigh
3'24.658"!!! Was Jean Luc Pickard driving it Fab?
Incidentally, what car would old Cptn. Picard never want to be seen in?
A Borg-ward.