Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 30 Mar 2006, 18:27 (Ref:1695158)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Rover SD1/Vitesse Group A

Guys n Gals!

Already got a similar Capri thread going (which seems to be petering out?!) but it made me think of the phalanx of SD1's that graced domestic and continental shores in the 80's.

I'd like to set the ball rolling on recounting the cars in their heyday and try to determine what happened to them. (what the heck lets include the Group 1 and 2 cars as well!!)

Lets explore certain mysteries?

I.E. Did the original DPR Grp 1 cars pass over to TWR to be constantly developed until the end of '82?

Did the Grp 1 cars become the Group A cars for '83 or were they new builds?

Were the '83 TWR BTCC cars the same 3 that appeared in '84?

And what about the '84 Bathurst 'Mobil' cars...were they a couple of the Sanyo cars repainted and did they then stay in the Antipodoes for the early '85 New Zealand races, again repainted in Brown 'Peanut Slab' liveries?...
And did they stay over there owned by the likes of Tim Slako (who ran one in a rather shocking pink and green scheme!)

Here's an outline of cars i know raced - can we explore what happened to them later on?

In '82 there were:
2x TWR (Allam & Lovett/Sytner)
2X Patrick/Martin Thomas (Muir + spare)
1x Dennis Leech

Ocassional 1 or 2 TWR in ETC
3x TWR (Allam, Lovett, Soper)
1x Leech
1x Spice (Martin Thomas run?)
1x Charles Sawuer Hoare (Red 'Daily Mirror' Rouse run)

3 x TWR ETC (2 'Fleet' and one 'Gitanes' and later 'Barclay'
BTCC
3 x TWR (Pond, Lovett/Schlesser & occasionally Soper ('Fleet') were these '83 cars or new ones?)
1x Neil McGrath ('Connells', ex Spice then still run by Martin Thomas)
1x Leech
2x Rouse (His own 'ICS' & CS-H's red car)
Also 2 cars in Germany Kurt Thiim and Olaf Manthey? who ran them?

3 or 4 ETC TWR cars 'Bastos'
BTCC
1x Rouse (pETE hALL)
1X Leech
1x McGrath (now white instead of green)

after that it's a bit hazy

3X TWR ETC
BTCC
Hall, Leech, McGrath
Mike O Brien (ex Hulme TWR TT winner '86?)
Tom Walkinshaw ETC car one off

Tim Harvey (ex Rouse/Hall)
Skid Scarborough (ex McGrath?)
Brian Chatfield (ex Bastos)
Bill Griffin (ex TWR Marlboro Rene Metge French car)
Dennis Leech
May have been another car too?

I think Nigel Garrett's current car is the ex Rouse/Hall/Harvey/Derek Hales car?

It'll be interesting to find out more detail here and if enough comes of it then we can move it to the chassis thread depending on how many are still knocking about!
Old 30 Mar 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1695160)   #2
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Steve Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only one Rover came to New Zealand in 1985. I can't remember who co-drove with Walkinshaw. I have a photo of the car somewhere so will track it down. It was white, and sponsored for its Kiwi races by NZ magazine 'More'.

The following year (January 1986) Walkinshaw brought two Rovers, painted brown and sponsored by NZ chocolate company Whittakers (Peanut Slab). Have to say, the brown paint didn't look too good on those cars, not that it looks much good on anything else!

They were lovely cars, sounded beautiful, but didn't live up to expectations on either occassion on the tight, bumpy Wellington street course. I guess they were happier on the fast sweeping European circuits. Interestingly, TWR brought two Jaguar XJS' out in January 1987, he rcieved special dispensation for them to compete, and they went extremely well.

One of the Bastos Rovers now resides in New Zealand, in the South Island, and competes in Historic events. The Bastos livery is completely original. Interestingly, its actually hand painted, not stickers! Heres a photo of it from Ruapuna this year:

http://www.centralmusclecars.co.nz/p.../rnd4_906.html
Old 31 Mar 2006, 09:34 (Ref:1695162)   #3
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer

And what about the '84 Bathurst 'Mobil' cars...were they a couple of the Sanyo cars repainted and did they then stay in the Antipodoes for the early '85 New Zealand races, again repainted in Brown 'Peanut Slab' liveries?...
And did they stay over there owned by the likes of Tim Slako (who ran one in a rather shocking pink and green scheme!)
I'm not 100% about this, but I think the Tim Slako car in Australia might be ex-Rouse- possibly the Sawyer-Hoare car? Can't recall where I got that from, (possibly a Bathurst annual?), although I think that car may have been mentioned on here in the past. There was at least one other Rover appeared at Bathurst around 86 or so (John Donnelly I think), but pretty sure that was locally built in Australia, so possibly outside the scope of this thread

A few more randon thoughts/vague memories:

You mentioned the 'German' cars in 84- don't forget they ran on into 86, when Thiim won the DTM- they also made the odd ETC appearance. Think the team name was something like 'Nickel'?
http://www.zandbak.net/classic/86bergischeloewe/004.jpg

A couple of Belgian-entered cars ran in the Spa 24-hours in 88- could these have been ex-TWR?

From memory, one of the 86 TWR cars was sold to Japan -ran at the Fuji race at the end of the year in the hands of Jeff Allam and a local driver, and presumably stayed there- I've got a pic from Autosport somewhere showing it in Bastos livery but with the Japanese sponsor's logos replacing Bastos.

One may have gone to Sweden- According to Frank de Jong's ETCC history website, Kaj Bornebusch, who ran a Sierra in the 88 ETCC, also fielded a Rover at the Nogaro ETCC round that year- (think one of the drivers was his daughter?) and I've got a vague memory that he may have used the car in a couple of 1987 ETCC rounds

Doesn't Jeff Allam own one of the TWR/Bastos cars- think he bought it when the TWR collection was sold off a year or two back?
Old 31 Mar 2006, 17:36 (Ref:1695165)   #4
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good excuse to post some photos of the cars.

Andy Rouse in 1984

Neal McGrath

Olaf Manthey at Spa (1984)

Dennis Leech

And finally, the Gitanes car from 1984

Sadly I have no idea of what happened to any of these cars but am I right in thinking that at least one of the TWR cars ended up in Brian Chatfields collection?

Glyn
Old 1 Apr 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1695167)   #5
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Kaj Bornebusch car was most probably an ex-TWR car. All white on red 17" Speedline rims, like the TWR-Pacific "sponsored" ETCC entries of 1986. Kaj himself drove this car in Sweden and other nordic contries during 1987, but might have bought the car the year before. A picture from the 1986 Anderstorp-ETCC race suggest 4 Rovers on the grid - 2 Bastos cars and 2 white ones, of which I think one would be the Pacific-car, while the other could be the Bornebusch-car.

There was a third Rover in Australia as well. British Production Saloon Car entry for Barry Robinson/John Jefferey in the 1985 Bathurst race.

The German Rovers were entered by Frieder Nickel of Autotechnich Nickel (ATN), and as far as I know build in Germany, although the engines of at least the '86 car was from TWR. The first car was entered at least as early as 1983 (pre-DTM), with Armin Hahne winning the final round of the Deutsche Rennstrecken-Pokal. For '84 and '85 Austin Rover Deutschland sponsored the DTM effort. Olaf Manthey and Jörg van Ommen was signed as drivers for the first DTM (known as DPM at the time). Van Ommen took three poles from the first six races, but crashed a lot and was subsequently dropped by the team. Dieter Selzer replaced him for the remainder of the season, while Manthey finished 2nd in the championship.
Cut to a one car effort for '85, with Manthey again finishing 2nd, while Walter Mertes drove a few races in the second car.
1986 was a private ATN effort sponsored by Toshiba with Kurt Thiim as driver and eventually champion. Thiim and ATN started the 1987-DTM with this car as well, before their Alfa 75 Turbo was ready, if it ever were! Peter John drove a Vitesse in the '87 Norisring DTM-race, which most probably the ex-Thiim car.

Of the Japanese effort my notes suggests an Austin Rover Japan (sponsored by Dunlop) entry for Suguro Akaike as main driver. Partnered by Jeff Allam for the '86 Fuji 500 and Swede Eje Elgh for the first four races of '87. Kenny Acheson replaced Elgh for the sixth round, while no Rover appears for round 5, which also counted for the World Touring Car Championship. Best result for this six race campain was forth at Sugo on September 20 1987.

Curious about those two Belgian Spa '88-entries. Blue as main color, but not painted/decorated to the same scheme (I have only seen these cars during Eurosport TV reports)

Recently I found an ex-TWR Vitesse on a Spanish web address (which I've at the moment have forgotten) Fits the description of the Bornebusch-car above but with Ronal rims.

Best regards
Jesper
Old 19 Mar 2007, 10:27 (Ref:1871217)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
'Running' update!

Ken Clarke has offered what he knows of the first 6 Group A cars built fior the 1983 season. We still need to discuss/confirm in the main thread subsequent histories.

Chassis 001-012 were built between 1983-85 with black interiors and possibly a C-Pillar/jack design type distinctive to those cars. Chassis 013-020 were built 1985-86 with white interiors and also possibly with their own distinct C-Pillar etc, arrangements.

1983 CHASSIS

Test and Development car and then French 'Marlboro' Super Tourisme car raced by Rene Metge. Subsequent history TBC.
Alex Elliott suggests possibility that this was supplied as a development hack to Griffin Motorsport for 1987? Yet to be confirmed, so the Griffin car could still have been 005 or 013!

1983 Hepolite Glacier driven by Steve Soper which won BTCC until tribunal took it away mid way through 1984. Car did selected ETC rounds and won the '83 TT sharing with Rene Metge.
Possibility that Soper did couple of '84 BTCC meetings with it, in Fleet colours in 1984Subsequent history TBC.

1983 Sanyo BTCC driven by Peter Lovett.
Subsequent history TBC.
Was this also a 1984 Sanyo car?

1983 Sanyo BTCC driven by Jeff Allam. Also selected ETC rounds (including Spa 24 hours?)
This is assumption but I think Dave Carvell has told us that the history shows it to have been campaigned in the '84 BTCC too. Drivers either Lovett/Schlesser or Pond.
Confirmed entry Bathurst 1984, # 61 (Hahne/Allam)
Sold by TWR to Ian 'Del' Lines 1986/7 as part of package deal including ex-Pond rallycar B565AOX and a Bastos shell used to reshell Del Lines' crashed ex-works rallycar A379VUK (Chassis 006 perhaps?).
Still in Bathurst Mobil colours at the time according to photos on SD1 club website
1986 Sold to R.A. Potter, driven in '87 BTCC by D Carvell
Sold to Belgium - ran at Spa 24 hours 1988 in Eurodefi colours.

1983 LHD car for Eddy Joosen.I nitially white with black interior, then Barclay livery for ETC duties
1984 French Super Tourisme Marlboro Marc Duez car
1985 French ST Marlboro spare/test car J-L Schlesser
Eventually sold to Arthur Carter collection (maybe via Brian Chatfield?)- resprayed in Bastos colours
Now with Allan Dippie in NZ- resprayed to Marlboro colours.

Herbie Clips liveried (later images show this not to be the case) rally car built for Tom Walkinshaw/John Davenport on the Bianchi Rally.
Subsequent history TBC. Believed to have been written off. (possibly part of the Del Lines deal above)

1984 CHASSIS??

Important note: One 1984 Fleet car was almost certainly written off in the infamous TT Woodcote shunt by Duez (Either 007, 009 or 010?).
Perhaps rebuilt/reshelled in which case it may have been given a new chassis id? Unlikely as later car that was totalled (017) was reshelled and kept original chassis identity.
Also, which chassis were the 3 or 4 Computervision Grp A Rally cars built in 1984 and '85?

TBC - Probably built for 1984 BTCC or 1984 ETCC (Likely Fleet livery) or Rally?

Almost confirmed. Fleet ETC entry 1984, then reliveried in Bastos colours as the 3rd car for 1985 ETC season. Shunted at Donington ETC round by Soper and rebuilt. Ken Clarke says: 'This car went on to do the Nissan Mobil series in New Zealand in 1986. This car was also driven by Soper & Hahne 1984. Soper, Schlesser, Duez, Brundle (Spa), Joosen, Thibault & TW 1985 then Tom & Win, Nissan Mobil Series '86.'
We now have picture evidence to support this on flickr where blue paint is clearly seen where the brown bumper has been torn off!

TBC - Built for 1984 (Possibly the Gitanes car?) or rally?

TBC - Built for 1984, either BTCC or ETC or rally?

New for Bathurst 1984 (# 60 Soper/Dickson)
Listed for sale on racecarsdirect.com early last year. Link no longer works, so don't know what history was in the advert...
(Possibility it then went onto compete in 1985 ETC?)
We now seem to have confirmed that this was the car that Linden Racing entered for Mike O Brien in the 1986 BTCC. There were pics of it pre season still in Mobil colours from it's Bathurst foray.
New info 10/08 from KA: car was later in Portugal
Found several references to this car being driven by Armindo Correia in historic events in the last couple of years. A quick Google image search for him came up with more pics of the car in plain white, http://www.outrosmotores.com/imagem/...0_DSC04020.jpg
further search turned up more pics in Bastos colours,
http://escapelivre.forumotion.com/de...braga-t206.htm
011 competed in what seems to be a 6-hour historic race at Braga last year, but posted a DNF.
"The Rover is the TWR 011 (original).

TBC - Likely one of the first cars built for 1985 season. ETC or rally?

1985 CHASSIS??

1985 French Super Tourisme, Marlboro livery for Schlesser
Subsequent history not yet determined.

1985 Bastos ETC car
With Colin Pearcy by 1998, sold to Brian Kershaw around 2003

TBC - Likely a Bastos ETC shell?

1985 Bastos ETC car - scrapped at TWR 1985/6

1985 Bastos ETC car (Walkinshaw/Percy 85 TT winner?) crashed at Zolder by TW!
subsequently reshelled by Dennis Leech (and campaigned in 1987/88 BTCC TBC.)
1989 sold to Nick Humphrey - crashed at Mallory and reshelled
1990 sold to John Quartermaine - raced in UK Modsaloons & Thundersaloons, sold on around 1993/4
Now owned by Surrey collector (Tim Morley??) - restored by Ken Clarke 2004/5

1986 CHASSIS?

1986 Bastos ETC car (Hahne/Allam/Schlesser/Brancatelli)
Sold to Allan Scott- went to NZ around 1990
Now owned by Allan Dippie in NZ- still in original Bastos colours

1986 Bastos ETC car
Kept for TWR collection
Sold to Jeff Allam when TWR collection auctioned 2004/5

Last car built 1986 Bastos/South Pacific(?) car
later owned by Kevin Eaton, then bought by Arthur Carter for his collection
Restored by Ken Clarke for a Surrey owner (same one who owned 017 before Charles Williams?)

NON TWR OR NON WORKS GROUP A RACE CARS

Andy Rouse Engineering

3 to 4 cars believed to have been built around 1984.

ARE001
TBC - First ICS car written off at International Trophy Meeting with limited parts recovered (BTCC second round of 1984).

ARE002
TBC - Second ICS car hastily built, then title winner that year in Rouse's hands, embarrassing the TWR factory cars often.
Then raced by Pete Hall in 1985/86 and then sold to Tim Harvey and run by John Maguire Racing to win 1987 Class A title in Istel colours. Possible shunt pre Snetterton round and may have been re-shelled before the TT.
Subsequently sold onto Derek Hales and x?
Currently believed to the car Nigel Garrett runs in Classic Thunder.

ARE003?
TBC - Pete Halls prodsaloon car. Belived to be the car Barry Robinson and Jon Jeffrey reced at Bathurst in 1985 in some kind of prodsaloon spec with slicks and other upgrades tbc.

'ARE004 GAR'
Summary from Paul Davis. in main thread: Charles Sawyer-Hoare's red/yellow/white Daily Mirror/Esso BTCC car. Originally built for Grp 1 spec by Martin Thomas in 1980 for Brian Muir to race in 80/81 and then run for Rad Dougall in 1982 before being sold to Charles ready for 1983.
Taken over and re-worked to Grp A specs by Rouse for 1983/84 seasons.
Sold to Tim Slako in 1985, raced it in CS-H's original colours then white and then in the infamous Pink/Green livery between 1985-1987. In process of being rebuilt/restored in Australia.

Martin Thomas Racing/Linden Racing

Martin has kindly offered the following info:
One car built, entered for Gordon Spice in 1983 BTCC. BRG livery
Then driven by Neil McGrath under Clive Faine/Linden Racing banner in 1984 (actually tended by Rouse for at least that season) through to 1986 BTCC. Green 'Connells' Estate Agents livery in 1984 then white and green 85/86.
Sold to Graham Scarborough for 1987 BTCC (possibly still run by Thomas?) who ran it in long time sponsors Letchworth Roofing red over white livery.
Subsequent history to be confirmed but pictures in the main thread show it in Tony Strawsons hands in 1988 Thundersaloons so it may have been bought by him or pal Gerry Marshall?

Mike O'Brien raced sister Faine/Linden/Connells white Vitesse in 1985/86. Now confirmed that this was in fact an ex TWR chassis originally built for Bathurst in 1984 chassis #011[/I]

Dennis Leech ran second Martin Thomas prepared car in 1983-85 (and possibly 1986.) Originally Rex Greenslade's Patrick Motors/Martin Thomas Group 1 car.
Dennis then purchased TWR rebuilt chassis/shell (017) for 1987/88.

German DTM - Nickel

Thanks to Herbert we now have more in depth info about the German cars

First car built (black). Raced by Armin Hahne in the Deutsche Rennsport-Trophäe. Hahne won a few races with it. Subsequent history TBC.

2x new white coloured cars for the DPM/DTM driven by Olaf Manthey and Jörg van Ommen; later replaced by Dieter Selzer. It is likely that both chassis were sold to owners in Finland as we have seen images of them competing in the 1985-87 Finnish Group A series.

1 new car for Manthey. Teammate Walter Mertes raced an '84 car (which one TBC.) Post DTM histories TBC.

The DTM winner - another brand new car with light bodyshell built by Rover (Cowley or TWR TBC?). Only five of them were built and one was for Nickel. Guess TWR had the other 4?.
It also featured Dunlop 'Denloc' tyres for the first time whereas the previous cars ran with Goodyears. This car also got the new Twin Plenum engine from TWR which provided more power and torque.
Car was also raced by Thiim at the opening round of 1987 whilst he was witing for his Alfa 75T and then once more by Peter John at the Norisring in 1987.
Was/is on display at BMW in munich as part of the deal when BMW bought Rover.

Last edited by chunterer; 5 Mar 2011 at 13:06.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 00:00 (Ref:1898084)   #7
chrisgram
Rookie

New Zealand
Christchurch
chrisgram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer

Herbie Clips liveried rally car built for Tom Walkinshaw/John Davenport on the Bianchi Rally.
Subsequent history TBC.
006 was badly damaged in the Bianchi and possibly written off-refer photo Autosport 15/9/83. Severe LH rear damage with axle being ripped out. Reg was FJO450Y.

Last edited by John Turner; 24 Apr 2007 at 08:39.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 13:10 (Ref:2740285)   #8
DPUZEY
Rookie

DPUZEY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The following chassis list has been kindly provided by Dave Puzey of the SD1 Club. It is a comprehensive summary of the TWR Group A Rover Vitesse chassis that ran as 'works' Touring Cars and Rallying between 1983-87.

The Rover SD1 Club has also been looking into the history of the race cars and recently published the following article spread over 2 issues of the club magazine. Thought it ought to be reproduced here. The article is based on the same information Ken Clarke has, and he approved the article before it was published.

The club is now in a position to publish a list of cars built and what events they were used on. The club is aware of which cars still exist and where they are.

In total 18 cars or chassis were built over a 4 year period. Some of them had very varied lives. Apart from the engine difference, single or twin plenum and numerous suspension developments the most visible difference is in roll cage design. Early cars from 1983 and 84 had straight forward steel rollcages installed by Gartrac, the 1985 and 86 cars had more complicated alloy cages from Matter. All bodies started life on the production line at Cowley, although the later ones were built without any of the sound deadening and sealant added!

Don't forget at this time the SD1 was still in production so the supply of parts particularly body panels was very easy and quick meaning that even quite substantial damage could be rapidly repaired. These were competition cars not road cars! One major event that had an effect on some cars was the Shawcross investigation and the protest following the 1983 Trimoco saloon car championship, Austin/Rover withdrew from the 1984 championship part way through the season.

The Cars – 1983

Chassis 1 - The first car was used in the French Production Championship by Rene Metge and Jean-Louis Schlesser in 1983 and 84. The shell then became a show car and ended up in the Heritage Collection at Gaydon.

Now being rebuilt to full Group A spec and Marlboro livery by Ken Clarke for the 2014 season on behalf of an unnamed customer.

Chassis 2 - This was the Hepolite sponsored car driven by Steve Soper in the 1983 Trimoco championship and a few European Touring Car (ETC) championship rounds and won the Tourist Trophy race at Silverstone. One of the few TWR SD1s to be tested by a magazine, Jeremy Walton drove it.

Now owned and being rebuilt to 1983 spec by Ken Clarke for the 2014 season.

Chassis 3 - This started life as a Sanyo car in the Trimoco championship in 1983 driven by Peter Lovett and also took part in the 1984 championship up until Austin Rover withdrew. The car was then converted into a rally car and became B565AOX, one of 2 Computervision rally cars, driven by Tony Pond, Marc Duex and Mike Stuart in various British and European rallies. Its final works event was the RAC Rally in 1985 with Mike Stuart driving. The car was then sold as part of the package that Del Lines bought in 1986.

Chassis 4 - Another 1983 Trimoco car, this time for Jeff Allam. It also took part in the 1983 Spa 24 hour race in 1983. Then campaigned in 1984 up until the ARG withdrawal. Late in 1984 it was repainted in white Mobil livery and shipped to Australia where it won its class in the Bathurst 1000 race. It returned to the UK and was the second car in the Del Lines package. This car was initially sold to Clive Faine/Linden Racing, then sold on to Richard Potter who ran the car in the 1987 British championship, David Carvell was the driver and the car was updated with a TP engine and suspension. The cars last appearance on a major event was on the 24 hour race at Spa in 1988 where is was painted dark blue and sponsored by Eurodefi.
Believed to have been written off in a major shunt in Belgium that season TBC.

Chassis 5- The only left hand drive car. After a shake down run at the Donington ETC meeting, it took part in the 1983 Belgian championship with Eddie Joosen, Steve Soper and Rene Metge driving. The car was sponsored by Barclay and also took part in the 1983 Spa 24 hour race. The car then transfered to the French Production Championship in Marlboro colours in the hands of Marc Duez in 1984 and Jean-Louis Schlesser in 1985.

This car is now in New Zealand and is close to full restoration in Marlboro colours by the current owner, Allan Dippie

Chassis 6 – The first purpose built rally car sponsored by Herbie Clips, this car appears never to have been fitted with the black plastic B/C post trim. Started life registered as FJO450Y and had a major accident on the 1983 Bianchi rally. It was rapidly repaired probable including a new shell for the 1983 Manx rally although it did not finish. The car appeared on the Mintex rally (Tom Walkinshaw driving) registered as A379VUK and the Ardennes rally (Marc Duez driving) in 1984 registered as A684NJO. The car was repainted in daily Mirror colours and Tony Pond drove it on the Hunsruck and Manx rallies, winning its class and 3rd overall, this time registered as B564AOX. The car was sold as B564AOX and took part in various rallies, notable the RAC Rally in 1986 and 1987.

The Cars – 1984

Chassis 7 & 12 – New car for 1984 this is the only early car with a white roll cage all the others were black, and was the Gitanes sponsored car that Eddie Joosen, Jean Pierrie Jabouille, Armin Hahne and Tony Pond drove in various ETC rounds including leading at the 1984 Spa 24 hour race. For 1985 it was substantially rebuilt and renumbered as chassis 12 and was used in the early part of the season in Bastos colours. At the end of 1985 it was repainted in Brown and metallic gold colours of Whitaker Peanut Slab and shipped with chassis 8 to New Zealand for a number of events in early 1986, now back as chassis 7. On return to the UK it was updated to Twin Plenum spec, repainted in Bastos colours and took part in the Spa 24hour race. Then at the end of 1986 it was shipped to Japan and took part in the Fuji race with Jeff Allam driving. Chassis 7 then stayed in Japan for several races and was repainted in Austin Rover Japan colours.

This car is rumoured to still be located in Japan and is being hunted!

Chassis 8 – First of the Fleet sponsored green and white cars. Driven by Marc Duez, Steve Soper and Armin Hahne in various ETC events. For 1985 it was repainted in Bastos colours, then was repainted the same colours as chassis 7 and shipped to New Zealand for a number of events in early 1986, these cars were still single plenum cars as the Twin plenum updates had not been homologated in early 1986.

Chassis 9 – The last rally car built. Initially used by Tom Walkinshaw in Daily Mirror colours, it was repainted in Computervision colours for 1985 and registered B563AOX. The car did various British internationals but was written off by Tony Pond in a huge accident on the Manx Rally that year.

Chassis 10 – The second Fleet sponsored car and driven by Marc Duez, Steve Soper and Jeff Allam in various ETC events. This car was written off in the famous huge accident at Woodcote at a very wet Silverstone Tourist Trophy in 1984.

Chassis 11 – Brand new car painted in Mobil colours and together with chassis 4 took part in the 1984 Bathurst 1000. The car was repainted in MORE colours and raced in New Zealand in early 1985.

The 1985 cars were the first to use the alloy Matter roll cages and were all white inside. There does not appear to have been a chassis 13!

Chassis 14 – This car was initially used in the French Production championship driven by Jean-Louis Schlesser in Marlboro colours. These cars had a variation of the deep chin spoiler and a different boot spoiler fitted, also some different Twin Plenum set ups were tried as the French rules allowed such modifications. For 1986 the car was updated to full proper Group 'A' Twin Plenum spec and appeared in a number of liveries, Bastos, South Pacific Racing, Herbie Clips, Watson and Istel. It is the car that won the Tourist Trophy in 1986 driven by Jeff Allam and Denny Hulme. The car took part in the 1987 and 1988 Spa 24 hour race in private hands, sponsored by Eurodefi in 1988 as sister car to chassis 4. Chassis 14 has appeared at SD1 Club nationals in 2003 and 2006.

Currently owned by Brian Kershaw in a collection with no plans for it to race.

Chassis 15 – This car was a Bastos liveried car driven by Jeff Allam, Armin Hahne and Jean-Louis Schlesser in various ETC races in 1985.

Chassis 16 - This car was a Bastos liveried car driven by Tom Walkinshaw, Win Percy and Hans Heyer in various ETC races in 1985.

Chassis 17 - This car was also a Bastos liveried car driven by Tom Walkinshaw and Win Percy in various ETC races in 1985. It won at Nogaro and the Tourist Trophy at Silverstone. However it was written off in a major first corner accident at Zolder. The suspension and numerous other parts were used by Dennis Leech in his BTCC championship black and orange car.

Now in the hands of Charlie and Chris Williams in Bastos livery competing in the MRL Touring car Trophy series.

The 1986 cars were all built as Twin Plenum cars with alloy cages. During the season they had side mouldings and rear wash wipe added!

Chassis 18 – Another Bastos liveried car driven by Jeff Allam, Denny Hulme, Jean-Louis Schlesser and Gianfranco Brancatelli in various 1986 ETC rounds including the Spa 24 hour race.

This is currently in New Zealand owned by Allan Dippie and races regularly in Classic events over there.

Chassis 19 – Another Bastos liveried car driven by Tom Walkinshaw and Win Percy. This car remained in Tom Walkinshaw's private collection and appeared at the 2004 SD1 Club National Day. Was bought by Jeff Allam at the TWR auction.

Now owned by Belgian BL/ARG enthusiast Bert Smeets and can be seen in various classic touring car events in Belgium and the UK.

Chassis 20 – The final car built. Sponsored by South Pacific Racing, Herbie Clips, and Watson, it took part in various ETC rounds, and the Macau race. This car appeared at the SD1 Club national and the NEC show stand in 2006.

This is owned by Tim Morley, is in Bastos colours and it is hoped it will be racing again in 2013 or 2014 in the MRL Touring Car Trophy series.

At the end of 1986 Rover withdrew from Group 'A' racing with the SD1. A number of other 'works' associated rally cars were built and these will be reviewed in a future article. Thanks to Ken Clarke and Brian Kershaw for help in preparing this list. There are numerous stories and rumours about the TWR SD1 cars, however this information all checks out. The club would be interested in any further substantiated information about the TWR race and rally cars.

Dave Puzey
Chairman & Treasurer
Rover SD1 Club

Last edited by chunterer; 12 Jun 2013 at 10:40.
Old 26 Feb 2011, 21:54 (Ref:2837300)   #9
duncs
Rookie

duncs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
'Running' update!

Ken Clarke has offered what he knows of the first 6 Group A cars built fior the 1983 season. We still need to discuss/confirm in the main thread subsequent histories.

Chassis 001-012 were built between 1983-85 with black interiors and possibly a C-Pillar/jack design type distinctive to those cars. Chassis 013-020 were built 1985-86 with white interiors and also possibly with their own distinct C-Pillar etc, arrangements.

1983 CHASSIS

Test and Development car and then French 'Marlboro' Super Tourisme car raced by Rene Metge. Subsequent history TBC.
Alex Elliott suggests possibility that this was supplied as a development hack to Griffin Motorsport for 1987? Yet to be confirmed, so the Griffin car could still have been 005 or 013!

1983 Hepolite Glacier driven by Steve Soper which won BTCC until tribunal took it away mid way through 1984. Car did selected ETC rounds and won the '83 TT sharing with Rene Metge.
Possibility that Soper did couple of '84 BTCC meetings with it, in Fleet colours in 1984Subsequent history TBC.

1983 Sanyo BTCC driven by Peter Lovett.
Subsequent history TBC.
Was this also a 1984 Sanyo car?

1983 Sanyo BTCC driven by Jeff Allam. Also selected ETC rounds (including Spa 24 hours?)
This is assumption but I think Dave Carvell has told us that the history shows it to have been campaigned in the '84 BTCC too. Drivers either Lovett/Schlesser or Pond.
Confirmed entry Bathurst 1984, # 61 (Hahne/Allam)
Sold by TWR to Ian 'Del' Lines 1986/7 as part of package deal including ex-Pond rallycar B565AOX and a Bastos shell used to reshell Del Lines' crashed ex-works rallycar A379VUK (Chassis 006 perhaps?).
Still in Bathurst Mobil colours at the time according to photos on SD1 club website
1986 Sold to R.A. Potter, driven in '87 BTCC by D Carvell
Sold to Belgium - ran at Spa 24 hours 1988 in Eurodefi colours.

1983 LHD car for Eddy Joosen.I nitially white with black interior, then Barclay livery for ETC duties
1984 French Super Tourisme Marlboro Marc Duez car
1985 French ST Marlboro spare/test car J-L Schlesser
Eventually sold to Arthur Carter collection (maybe via Brian Chatfield?)- resprayed in Bastos colours
Now with Allan Dippie in NZ- resprayed to Marlboro colours.

Herbie Clips liveried (later images show this not to be the case) rally car built for Tom Walkinshaw/John Davenport on the Bianchi Rally.
Subsequent history TBC. Believed to have been written off. (possibly part of the Del Lines deal above)

1984 CHASSIS??

Important note: One 1984 Fleet car was almost certainly written off in the infamous TT Woodcote shunt by Duez (Either 007, 009 or 010?).
Perhaps rebuilt/reshelled in which case it may have been given a new chassis id? Unlikely as later car that was totalled (017) was reshelled and kept original chassis identity.
Also, which chassis were the 3 or 4 Computervision Grp A Rally cars built in 1984 and '85?

TBC - Probably built for 1984 BTCC or 1984 ETCC (Likely Fleet livery) or Rally?

Almost confirmed. Fleet ETC entry 1984, then reliveried in Bastos colours as the 3rd car for 1985 ETC season. Shunted at Donington ETC round by Soper and rebuilt. Ken Clarke says: 'This car went on to do the Nissan Mobil series in New Zealand in 1986. This car was also driven by Soper & Hahne 1984. Soper, Schlesser, Duez, Brundle (Spa), Joosen, Thibault & TW 1985 then Tom & Win, Nissan Mobil Series '86.'
We now have picture evidence to support this on flickr where blue paint is clearly seen where the brown bumper has been torn off!

TBC - Built for 1984 (Possibly the Gitanes car?) or rally?

TBC - Built for 1984, either BTCC or ETC or rally?

New for Bathurst 1984 (# 60 Soper/Dickson)
Listed for sale on racecarsdirect.com early last year. Link no longer works, so don't know what history was in the advert...
(Possibility it then went onto compete in 1985 ETC?)
We now seem to have confirmed that this was the car that Linden Racing entered for Mike O Brien in the 1986 BTCC. There were pics of it pre season still in Mobil colours from it's Bathurst foray.
New info 10/08 from KA: car was later in Portugal
Found several references to this car being driven by Armindo Correia in historic events in the last couple of years. A quick Google image search for him came up with more pics of the car in plain white, http://www.outrosmotores.com/imagem/...0_DSC04020.jpg
further search turned up more pics in Bastos colours,
http://escapelivre.forumotion.com/de...braga-t206.htm
011 competed in what seems to be a 6-hour historic race at Braga last year, but posted a DNF."The Rover is the TWR 011 (original).

TBC - Likely one of the first cars built for 1985 season. ETC or rally?

1985 CHASSIS??

1985 French Super Tourisme, Marlboro livery for Schlesser
Subsequent history not yet determined.

1985 Bastos ETC car
With Colin Pearcy by 1998, sold to Brian Kershaw around 2003

TBC - Likely a Bastos ETC shell?

1985 Bastos ETC car - scrapped at TWR 1985/6

1985 Bastos ETC car (Walkinshaw/Percy 85 TT winner?) crashed at Zolder by TW!
subsequently reshelled by Dennis Leech (and campaigned in 1987/88 BTCC TBC.)
1989 sold to Nick Humphrey - crashed at Mallory and reshelled
1990 sold to John Quartermaine - raced in UK Modsaloons & Thundersaloons, sold on around 1993/4
Now owned by Surrey collector (Tim Morley??) - restored by Ken Clarke 2004/5

1986 CHASSIS?

1986 Bastos ETC car (Hahne/Allam/Schlesser/Brancatelli)
Sold to Allan Scott- went to NZ around 1990
Now owned by Allan Dippie in NZ- still in original Bastos colours

1986 Bastos ETC car
Kept for TWR collection
Sold to Jeff Allam when TWR collection auctioned 2004/5

Last car built 1986 Bastos/South Pacific(?) car
later owned by Kevin Eaton, then bought by Arthur Carter for his collection
Restored by Ken Clarke for a Surrey owner (same one who owned 017 before Charles Williams?)

NON TWR OR NON WORKS GROUP A RACE CARS

Andy Rouse Engineering

3 to 4 cars believed to have been built around 1984.

ARE001
TBC - First ICS car written off at International Trophy Meeting with limited parts recovered (BTCC second round of 1984).

ARE002
TBC - Second ICS car hastily built, then title winner that year in Rouse's hands, embarrassing the TWR factory cars often.
Then raced by Pete Hall in 1985/86 and then sold to Tim Harvey and run by John Maguire Racing to win 1987 Class A title in Istel colours. Possible shunt pre Snetterton round and may have been re-shelled before the TT.
Subsequently sold onto Derek Hales and x?
Currently believed to the car Nigel Garrett runs in Classic Thunder.

ARE003?
TBC - Pete Halls prodsaloon car. Belived to be the car Barry Robinson and Jon Jeffrey reced at Bathurst in 1985 in some kind of prodsaloon spec with slicks and other upgrades tbc.

'ARE004 GAR'
Summary from Paul Davis. in main thread: Charles Sawyer-Hoare's red/yellow/white Daily Mirror/Esso BTCC car. Originally built for Grp 1 spec by Martin Thomas in 1981 for Brian Muir and then run for Rad Dougall in 1982 before being sold to Charles ready for 1983.
Taken over and re-worked to Grp A specs by Rouse for 1983/84 seasons.
Sold to Tim Slako in 1985, raced it in CS-H's original colours then white and then in the infamous Pink/Green livery between 1985-1987. Current whereabouts not known?

Martin Thomas Racing/Linden Racing

Martin has kindly offered the following info:
One car built, entered for Gordon Spice in 1983 BTCC. BRG livery
Then driven by Neil McGrath under Clive Faine/Linden Racing banner in 1984 (actually tended by Rouse for at least that season) through to 1986 BTCC. Green 'Connells' Estate Agents livery in 1984 then white and green 85/86.
Sold to Graham Scarborough for 1987 BTCC (possibly still run by Thomas?) who ran it in long time sponsors Letchworth Roofing red over white livery.
Subsequent history to be confirmed but pictures in the main thread show it in Tony Strawsons hands in 1988 Thundersaloons so it may have been bought by him or pal Gerry Marshall?

Mike O'Brien raced sister Faine/Linden/Connells white Vitesse in 1985/86 but not known yet whether this was a Martin Thomas built car or an ex TWR chassis. Now confirmed that this was in fact an ex TWR chassis originally built for Bathurst in 1984 chassis #011

Dennis Leech ran second Martin Thomas prepared car in 1983-85 (and possibly 1986.) Originally Rex Greenslade's Patrick Motors/Martin Thomas Group 1 car.
Dennis then purchased TWR rebuilt chassis/shell (017) for 1987/88.

German DTM - Nickel

Thanks to Herbert we now have more in depth info about the German cars

First car built (black). Raced by Armin Hahne in the Deutsche Rennsport-Trophäe. Hahne won a few races with it. Subsequent history TBC.

2x new white coloured cars for the DPM/DTM driven by Olaf Manthey and Jörg van Ommen; later replaced by Dieter Selzer.

1 new car for Manthey. Teammate Walter Mertes raced an '84 car (which one TBC.) Post DTM histories TBC.

The DTM winner - another brand new car with light bodyshell built by Rover (Cowley or TWR TBC?). Only five of them were built and one was for Nickel. Guess TWR had the other 4?.
It also featured Dunlop 'Denloc' tyres for the first time whereas the previous cars ran with Goodyears. This car also got the new Double-Twin-Cam-(Twin Plenum?) engine from TWR which provided more power and torque.
Car was raced once more by Peter John at the Norisring in 1987.
Was/is on display at BMW in munich as part of the deal when BMW bought Rover.

Hi! I have 015 shell which Del Lines rebuilt his ex Pond saudi rally raid car back into after hitting a tree at Longleat in86. She is registered as A379 VUK.

I also have TWR001 or 002 which I am putting back together and was purchased as 002 from the Gaydon museum but am told it could be 001 and was Marlboro colours at one time! Any info would be greatfully received as to which one it might be?

Duncs
Old 1 Sep 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2949607)   #10
ken clarke
Racer

ken clarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Duncan, the car you have is indeed Chassis number 001. I recall you outbidding me for it at the Gaydon Auction!! The car was the test & developement Group A car which then became Rene Metge's French Production touring car in 1983. See Dave Puzey's list for subsequent races.

Both chassis no's 001 & 002 were converted to Bastos Replica cars in 1985/6, 001 subsequently ended up in the Gaydon museum & 002 went to europe as a replica. After looking for many years I located 002 in Holland in 2007, after pestering the guy who owned it for 4 years I managed to buy it from him in June this year. It is now at my home/workshop. Unfortunately it is in much the same state as yours with brakes & suspension missing.

Asto the chassis numbers I can only assume that whilst the cars were being stripped & painted the chassis numbers were switched. Remember the cars never had 'Chassis plates; per se but just TWR 001 or 002 stamped on a small aluminium plate above the o/s headlamp. There is no doubt that the car I have is 002, the doors are all yellow inside as is the roof etc under the white paint.

002 only ever raced in 1983, it won & lost the BTCC but won the TT with Steve Soper & Rene Metge. It is my intention to rebuild it as the Hepolite car it is back to its original spec.

Regards.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 20:51 (Ref:2949613)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
001 is back up for sale in three weeks http://www.classic-auctions.com/Auct...Car-33536.aspx
Old 9 May 2014, 06:34 (Ref:3404005)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Chassis 001 restoration now complete by Ken Clarke and owner Richard Postins is racing it in the UK and Europe this year!

002 is now at rolling chassis stage and awaiting engine, gearbox and some mechanical items. Completion date hoped to be late 2014 or early 2015.

Another chassis is in the very early stages of a ground up rebuild but not sure which one.

Nigel Garrett's car is now fully rebuilt to 1984 ICS title winning livery (and presumably mechanical spec). It is likely to be out at Goodwood FOS and possibly the Oulton Gold Cup MRL TCC round in August.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 11:18 (Ref:3469937)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Little updated on the cars still in existence copied from the main thread.

Just thought I'd do a quick add up of cars known to be in action or owned in storage.

TWR 001 (Marlboro) R Postins. Racing in historic touring cars.
TWR 002 (Hepolite) K Clarke. In process of rebuild and hoped to be on track again in 2015.
TWR 003 (Computervision) rally car under restoration in UK
TWR 005 (Marlboro) A Dippie. Near completion in New Zealand.
TWR 006 (Daily Mirror/Unipart) rally car in UK
TWR 007/012 (Gitanes) In Japan, still to be located.
TWR 010 (Fleet) Chassis stamp/plate and parts owned by K Clarke with intention to build a car up in future.
TWR 011 (Mobil Bathurst) Now up and running in Peter Auto events.
TWR 014 (Bastos but likely to be reliveried to Istel?) A Scott purchased from B Kershaw late 2013 and now in NZ having been upgrade to include modern cage).
TWR 015 (Bastos) Shell in hands of D Holder?
TWR 017 (Bastos) chassis was written off but lot of the main parts/running gear in Chris/Charlie Williams's Bastos liveried ex Dennis Leech car.
TWR 018 (Bastos) A Dippie. Racing in NZ historics.
TWR 019 (Bastos) B Smeets. Sometimes racing in UK and European historics.
TWR 020 (Bastos) T Morley. Yet to be seen in UK historic racing....

Also:

Nigel Garrett's ICS Rouse car. Now totally restored seen at Goodwood FOS 2014 and expected to be out in selected events in 2015.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 11:40 (Ref:3469941)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
TWR 19 is now in the hands of JD Classics.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 23:00 (Ref:3470097)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

When did Bert sell it? Shame was hoping to see him out in it again next year.
However, I suppose we will see it in the series they support anyway?
Old 31 Oct 2014, 06:20 (Ref:3470162)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He sold it last year. Not surecwhere they'll run it though.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 09:34 (Ref:4030407)   #17
terryobeirne
Rookie

Australia
australia
terryobeirne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GpA rover

I know this is an old thread, but i'm chasing anyone with 1st hand experiences with the grroupA SD1 Rovers, especially mechanical aspects like engine and suspension. i may have an opportunity to be involved with one.
thanks
Old 21 Jan 2021, 09:45 (Ref:4030408)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Contact Ken Clarke Motorsport on 07885202808, he built them originally. Mention my name.