Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Nov 2019, 09:39 (Ref:3941347)   #26
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw it at the weekend and enjoyed it. Yes, it distorts (or completely ignores) some elements of the true story, but decent performances and well shot action sequences (apart from the aforementioned sideways glances and extra pedal pushing at 200 mph!) make it well worth a watch.

Like "Rush" there have obviously been compromises made for the mainstream audience, but it gets more right than it gets wrong and, like Rush, you have the added challenge of spotting the subbed in corners!
Old 18 Nov 2019, 10:51 (Ref:3941363)   #27
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From a Hollywood movie perspective, I found the movie excellent! Even with small references to the original Steve McQueen movie (Enzo Ferrari nodding to Ken Miles in acknowledgement). Even my girlfriend who is not interested in cars or motorsport (yet!) found it really good and would see it again.

From an enthusiast perspective, there where definitely elements which was questionable other than the major aspect. Ei. I noticed in Peter Miles (Ken's son) room, there is a die-cast model box of the Lola T70, in the same year as the car itself was launched.
This does not take away from the whole some enjoyment of the movie and the fact that this movie will hopefully bring more attention to motorsport, especially Le Mans, making it a more stable economic factor for all competing.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 15:05 (Ref:3941427)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dedicated thread.....

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154644
Old 18 Nov 2019, 15:20 (Ref:3941436)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Saw it on Sunday in 2 d and really found it excellent. Notwithstanding some of the gear changes etc. I liked it. My stomach churned at the rev counter views at times but then again they did do that. The Ken Miles story is fascinating in terms of his capabilities and how he got lost in history.

But for me the corporate shinanigans reflected my perception of how something like Ford would behave. In particular the Iacoca character came across authentically.

But the dynamic between Miles and Shelby was excellent.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 15:59 (Ref:3941445)   #30
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I hope to go and see it, hopefully it was technically made a "little" better than "Grand Prix" ! I was at the filming of some of that at Brands Hatch many moons ago and appear in the background in some shots. I remember looking at the "fake" F1 cars being driven round with wired on V8 exhaust manifolds but running skinny tyres. However we got a free Hot Dog for standing about all day
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Nov 2019, 17:00 (Ref:3941454)   #31
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Out of curiosity, anyone know why the film title was changed for outside US?
Old 18 Nov 2019, 19:07 (Ref:3941465)   #32
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The UK is a different country from the USA, with a different culture, language, licencing laws, censorship restrictions and different existing properties.
Sometimes films in the US conflict with one of those and get a very different release in the UK.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Nov 2019, 19:18 (Ref:3941469)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was Ford v Ferrari here in Albania. What was it in the UK?
Old 18 Nov 2019, 19:31 (Ref:3941472)   #34
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Presumably because it was thought that "Le Mans 66" would mean less to American punters than European ones. Hence spelling it out in a way that even Americans can understand (<- Irony alert. I don't think Americans are stoopid. It seems to be 20th C Fox who think that).

PS No spoilers please, I want to see the film to find out how it ends!
Old 18 Nov 2019, 20:06 (Ref:3941476)   #35
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
The UK is a different country from the USA, with a different culture, language, licencing laws, censorship restrictions and different existing properties.
Sometimes films in the US conflict with one of those and get a very different release in the UK.

Very profound, Gordon! But I get what you’re saying. Or it could be as Anyopnroad suggests.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 20:53 (Ref:3941486)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Presumably because it was thought that "Le Mans 66" would mean less to American punters than European ones. Hence spelling it out in a way that even Americans can understand (<- Irony alert. I don't think Americans are stoopid. It seems to be 20th C Fox who think that).

PS No spoilers please, I want to see the film to find out how it ends!

Porsche win.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 07:38 (Ref:3941561)   #37
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Bale terrific, Damon excellent . Shame about the rest ,which was the sort of nonsense we have come to expect from films about racing . No racing film cliche remained unused .
Old 19 Nov 2019, 07:54 (Ref:3941564)   #38
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Loved it, really good and the 2 and a half hours flew past. Loved the opening scenes set around the 1959 aston win, Was actually wearing my Aston 60th anniversary polo shirt so felt appropriate. Cinema was not full by any sense so let us hope word of mouth sells more tickets. Biggest mistake of the film was Ken walking out of his hotel near the cathedral and then meeting Carroll in the pits, that is quite a stroll probably 4 miles (no pun intended).
Old 19 Nov 2019, 08:02 (Ref:3941566)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Biggest mistake of the film was Ken walking out of his hotel near the cathedral and then meeting Carroll in the pits, that is quite a stroll probably 4 miles (no pun intended).
Yes, I thought the same. Bit of artistic licence there since the walk would have taken up most of the film!
Old 19 Nov 2019, 08:10 (Ref:3941571)   #40
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, I thought the same. Bit of artistic licence there since the walk would have taken up most of the film!
I thought that was funny, but as most have already said, if you want to pick holes, it’s fairly easy!

It’s entertainment, and if viewed as such, in my opinion a very good watch....
Old 19 Nov 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3941573)   #41
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Totally agree for le mans addicts there are always things to pick on but this is a good film and well worth watching.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 10:50 (Ref:3941593)   #42
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Going to watch "Ford vs Ferrari" tonight. Wonder why it's called like this in Belgium, and "Le Mans '66" in the Netherlands?
Old 19 Nov 2019, 11:18 (Ref:3941597)   #43
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As said, I believe it has been renamed "Ford Vs. Ferrari" in the territories where it is less likely that people know about Le Mans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail
Wonder why it's called like this in Belgium, and "Le Mans '66" in the Netherlands?
...with that in mind I am surprised to see it called "Ford Vs. Ferrari" anywhere in Europe!

A little detail I noticed was that Maison Blanche was referred to as "White House" in the film (perhaps changed for the international audience?), though Tertre Rouge remained in French.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 11:21 (Ref:3941598)   #44
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Going to watch "Ford vs Ferrari" tonight. Wonder why it's called like this in Belgium, and "Le Mans '66" in the Netherlands?
It's got a few other titles in different territories:
'Against the impossible',
'Full acceleration',
'Kings of Asphalt',
'The big challenge',
'Outsiders',

I guess it depends on who is responsible for distribution in that territory?
Old 19 Nov 2019, 12:14 (Ref:3941605)   #45
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
A little detail I noticed was that Maison Blanche was referred to as "White House" in the film (perhaps changed for the international audience?), though Tertre Rouge remained in French.
Actually as a kid any reports I read always referred to "the White House". It wasn't until the 80's that it became internationally known as "Maison Blanche" AFAIK.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 12:15 (Ref:3941606)   #46
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Loved it, really good and the 2 and a half hours flew past. Loved the opening scenes set around the 1959 aston win, Was actually wearing my Aston 60th anniversary polo shirt so felt appropriate. Cinema was not full by any sense so let us hope word of mouth sells more tickets. Biggest mistake of the film was Ken walking out of his hotel near the cathedral and then meeting Carroll in the pits, that is quite a stroll probably 4 miles (no pun intended).
Yeah, but it was quite a stroke wasn't it when Ken came out of the hotel to see Eric still out after a night on the tiles!
Old 19 Nov 2019, 12:17 (Ref:3941607)   #47
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
As said, I believe it has been renamed "Ford Vs. Ferrari" in the territories where it is less likely that people know about Le Mans...

...with that in mind I am surprised to see it called "Ford Vs. Ferrari" anywhere in Europe!

I think the terms were pretty much interchangeable (understandably). Certainly in most of the documentaries I've seen it's been referred to as White House.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 12:51 (Ref:3941619)   #48
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Hence spelling it out in a way that even Americans can understand (<- Irony alert. I don't think Americans are stoopid.
I beg to differ. Have you seen our current President???

Sorry, I know this goes against some kind of forum rule, but I just couldn't help myself.
Old 19 Nov 2019, 14:56 (Ref:3941637)   #49
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I think the terms were pretty much interchangeable (understandably). Certainly in most of the documentaries I've seen it's been referred to as White House.
Agreed maison blanche and white house have been used in most documentries but never heard any one use "red hill" in any thing related to le mans
Old 19 Nov 2019, 16:36 (Ref:3941650)   #50
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Actually as a kid any reports I read always referred to "the White House". It wasn't until the 80's that it became internationally known as "Maison Blanche" AFAIK.
Ah, interesting! Well, I am a child of the 80's, so I am going to use that as an excuse for not knowing that one!