Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Oct 2005, 03:42 (Ref:1440987)   #26
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats likely to be the one....

If you remember it as a yellow Camel car...well thats probably it.

REPCO V8 powered....

Do you have any clues on contacts for the TRACO stuff you saw go the Shakey Isles??
Old 23 Oct 2005, 06:45 (Ref:1441019)   #27
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Originally posted by Peter mallet
Quote:
As to your current needs, it would depend on what regulations you are running to. Over here there is a chap who races with the CTCRC and Top Hat 70's saloons who runs a P6 3500 and that is built to FIA Group 1 regulations. That means no body mods, standard carburation (in terms of numbers not size) and full race engines etc. You can get those regs from the CTCRC site at www.csccgb.co.uk. Look for the pre 74 Post Historic regs
Yes and I have sinced raced against him at Pembrey and the car goes remarkably well, beating me in the second race after my tyres went off causing me to go grass tracking. He is allowed some concessions though and they include a rather odd 'South African' spec bonnet with three forward facing scoops which I would love to be able to fit on the Camaro to get it breathing a bit of cold air. He is also allowed to use the SDi gearbox with 5th gear diabled and I believe he can use the later cross bolted block.

If you go to the The Classic Touring Car Club's front page you can see a shot of him chasing me on the front page.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 12:54 (Ref:1442108)   #28
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Here is a better shot of the Rover after he got past me!
Old 24 Oct 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1442567)   #29
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
I have been posting on AtlasF1 (Shhh)....hoping to help out a friend who owns the ex-Alec Poole Rover P6B V8 Traco....

...I'm pretty sure I have a feature on the other "works" Rover (red in colour) from the long defunct English magazine "Sporting Cars" (back in the early '80s.)...

Hi, just cleared some of my old motoring magazines out of my Mum's loft to sell on ebay (Christmas is coming etc.) I have the February 1984 edition of Sporting Cars (in immaculate condition, a bargain) which includes an excellent picture of the Red car on its cover, and a two page poster inside. It certainly was a stunning looking racecar. (Having scanned the magazine cover I'd insert the picture here, but don't know how to!).
Apparently, there were 2 cars built originally by Rover at Solihull, and final race preparation by Bill Shaw Racing (who I seem to remember racing one). Finance for the project came from BL Competitions Department in Abingdon.
The car was entered for the 84 hour Marathon de La Route race at The Nurburgring in August 1970.
The car led the race from the start, extending its lead for 16 hours. Eventually when two whole laps in the lead, it suffered a broken gearbox bearing and had to be withdrawn.
It's not mentioned in the article, but I'm sure that Roy Peirpoint and Alex Poole were the drivers, but I'm not certain.

If anyone would like to see the picture, e-mail me and I'll e-mail it back to you.
If you want to buy the magazine, then make me an offer? (Is this allowed in the forums?).
Old 25 Oct 2005, 09:09 (Ref:1442856)   #30
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember seeing this car at Mallory in about 1970. It won easily a Special Saloon race, Roy Pierrepoint I think.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1442986)   #31
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT
I have the February 1984 edition of Sporting Cars (in immaculate condition, a bargain) which includes an excellent picture of the Red car on its cover, and a two page poster inside. It certainly was a stunning looking racecar. It's not mentioned in the article, but I'm sure that Roy Peirpoint and Alex Poole were the drivers, but I'm not certain.
Yes, I have this too; great picture of a fabulous car; shame it wasn't seen more often, or developed further. Think you maybe right about the drivers; certainly Pierpoint's name rings a bell in this context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT
If you want to buy the magazine, then make me an offer? (Is this allowed in the forums?).
Since this merely an adjunct to the main purpose of your post, no problem if negotiation is done by PMs
Old 30 Oct 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1447296)   #32
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Hi, just found the October 1980 edition of Collectors Car magazine on ebay (item number 6985433226).
This appears to feature the Rover 3500S race cars too!
Old 16 Nov 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1462125)   #33
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just thought this picture may be of interest - it's currently racing in NZ.

http://www.groundsky.co.nz/0502WEB/P...1/I31P7432.JPG
Old 16 Nov 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1462457)   #34
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Oh another one with the 'Federal' bonnet, (sorry CTCRC in joke).
Old 25 Apr 2006, 07:44 (Ref:1594343)   #35
ian.stewart
Racer

England
Norf of Watford, just
ian.stewart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True British touring car

Spotted this for sale on my travels, I have vague memories of it racing back in the 70s, PLEEEEEEESE can someone buy it and race it over here, its still one of the best historic touring cars built,
http://www.roverp6.info/JXC808D.htm

Ian
Old 25 Apr 2006, 08:37 (Ref:1594406)   #36
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, a fabulous machine; we've discussed it before. Would love to see it in action. Although a 'one off', I wonder if the price is not a bit high, given that it would need major work to make trackworthy again!l
Old 25 Apr 2006, 09:11 (Ref:1594435)   #37
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Yes, a fabulous machine; we've discussed it before. Would love to see it in action. Although a 'one off', I wonder if the price is not a bit high, given that it would need major work to make trackworthy again!l
Couldn't agree more! It is a great machine but £40,000 asking price! What planet are they on?

Old 25 Apr 2006, 09:58 (Ref:1594480)   #38
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
The link has now crashed my machine twice although I got into it once.

I doubt we will see that here but for P6 fans I can offer this. I was talking to a guy(s) I know at Brands the other day and they are near to completing a replica P6 with the right engine (Traco??) etc for competing in historics overhere. Sounded a good project and I believe from the talk it is nearly ready to go.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 11:06 (Ref:1594523)   #39
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
That'll be good to see, Al!
Old 25 Apr 2006, 11:14 (Ref:1594530)   #40
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
The Rover is an awesome looking car and was featured in a thread on Ten-Tenths some months ago. A true Touring Car, built by the factory (with help from BMC Competitions Department if I recall...)
Looks like that garage has some more BMC Competitions Department memorabilia in there, as well though.
I think I can see a Marathon Land Crab, works Healey 3000, and an MGB(or C)GT in there too.
Then there's the mystery object below the grey cover too...
Old 25 Apr 2006, 11:53 (Ref:1594576)   #41
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What category would it run in?
Old 25 Apr 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1594639)   #42
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Top Hat Class A possible if JT is feeling suitably relaxed about the rules, but more likely classic Thunder ?

ludicrous amount of money though
Old 25 Apr 2006, 13:27 (Ref:1594655)   #43
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its more of a Baby Bertha type than any recognised FIA category. Even Group 5 needed original or at the very least homologated panels. IIRC this car has fully demountable fibreglass panels which were probably not homologated.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 14:10 (Ref:1594670)   #44
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
The car these guys are building is not as outragius as that I don't believe and will be out with you Peter or Zef so look out for it. I am always surprised mre of these have not been raced, I owned a 3500s once and I though ut was a fine vehicle, it only seems when the SDI came out they started to use the Rover marque. There is one out in the Classic pre 74 that goes quite well.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 25 Apr 2006 at 14:12.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 15:23 (Ref:1594713)   #45
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The rear brakes (which have to remain in the same place as the road car) are inboard and thus fade dramatically in race conditions. Plus the car is heavy so it doesn't worry me from the point of view of speed. Peter Holton runs one and he'll tell you all the problems.

Drive shafts are another issue due to the heat build up in the brakes.

A P6 cannot run in pre 66 but can run in Groovy Baby.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 16:52 (Ref:1594756)   #46
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I would have thought the brake problems could be overcome with good ducting, the Jags seem to go alright with a similar set up. Don't know if the DeDion (spelling?) rear set up would be the fly in the ointment, as for weight that surprises me as I thought some of the panels were alloy as of course is the engine. Oh that may have been a Repco engine not a Traco, not sure. I would have thought the one on offer could run in the Classic Thunder OK.

Ha Ha just read the history I was correct on both counts it was either Traco or Repco.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 25 Apr 2006 at 16:57.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 17:08 (Ref:1594759)   #47
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
If you read that history piece it was more Leyland politics that stopped development, I still recon they had and indeed still have great potential. Interestingly it was run with a GM Muncie 4 speed as I use in my cars and they are bomb proof.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 03:19 (Ref:1595086)   #48
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
My point was that it can't run that engine or any changes in either Group 1 or Top Hat. Nor does it qualify for any FIA historic class.

In its group 1 format you can't mess with the brakes etc.

So you can run it fully modified but not in any "historic" category.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 06:25 (Ref:1595129)   #49
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Oh well it will be interesting when these guys enter it won't it, maybe we will see them out with us in Pre-74 Post Historics which will be nice.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 07:16 (Ref:1595159)   #50
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
ALl of this beg the Question . . . Classic Thunder is the only series for heavily modified cars, but that lets in new(ish) cars as well . . .is there room or is it time for a recognised historic modded series ? I'm thinking one that would attract the cars in the period prep, not rebuild with modern guts and an old blob on top like most of the cars are now.

I think its a nice idea but it'lll never happen