Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 7 Oct 2007, 19:30 (Ref:2034247)   #26
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Where was I complaining about the number of cars on the grid? Perhaps, luke, you can shed some light on my question regarding the contractual obligation CC is under to provide a certain number of cars for the grid (or not).

I expressed no preference as to one number vs another number as a grid size. My concerns are more along the hows and whys regarding the increase for this race.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Oct 2007, 20:23 (Ref:2034300)   #27
Chewie-1990
Racer

United Kingdom
Chewie-1990 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well on the plus side, this answers my earlier question of where did Jensen Motorsport disappear to, and could mean a return for Ryan Dalziel
I'm guessing this means the story of Raphael Matos doing Mexico with PKV is out the window then
Old 8 Oct 2007, 09:53 (Ref:2034799)   #28
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
And actually Chewie, Matos taking the spare PKV car would have madesense since he won Atlantics and has the $2 million grubsteak to get a ride next season.

I know the money if for next year but if they want to showcase new talent (and I think he is a talent) then he would be your man.

It just confirms (for me) that the plot has been lost at Hobby Racer Central.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 8 Oct 2007, 11:40 (Ref:2034874)   #29
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is good to see more cars on the grid. A step in the right direction at least.

However, what I'd like to see are more permanent entries at I'm yet to be convinced that Jensen are doing anything other than a very limited programme. If it gets Dalziel a ride then that's good but he deserves a break (as do others).

To the CC-philes in here who think a temporary 18 car count is exciting news then can I just ask - does the fact the other mob can scrape together 35 cars for a single event mean that their series is in glowing health............
Old 9 Oct 2007, 00:33 (Ref:2035424)   #30
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
To the CC-philes in here who think a temporary 18 car count is exciting news then can I just ask - does the fact the other mob can scrape together 35 cars for a single event mean that their series is in glowing health............
Considering who put together that 35 car grid (wouldnt happen to be the series owner would it) doesnt the same argument apply ?

An extra car for Mexico is a positive, regardless of how some wish to spin it. There are issues outside this subject that need addressing, however they do not relate to Jensen and an 18th car.

The same old people trying to derail new stories.

18 cars is a good thing.
Old 9 Oct 2007, 07:07 (Ref:2035559)   #31
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Considering who put together that 35 car grid (wouldnt happen to be the series owner would it) doesnt the same argument apply ?
Yes it would apply - exactly the same. So having that one extra car is a somewhat positive thing, just like having 35 rather than 33 at Indy is. But does it indicate anything towards the long term viability of either series - nope fraid not.

It's a positive for one race around a track where, if I remember rightly, the cars have historically struggled to overtake - woohoo

BTW Can we lighten up in here - not every person who isn't overly optimistic about the series isn't the son of satan. They probably want the series to thrive as much as you but don't feel its a likely prospect and aren't afraid to say it. Like to think that if they're proved wrong they'll be among the first to stand up and say so. In my case I know I'll be delighted but I truly don't see it right now.
Old 9 Oct 2007, 07:22 (Ref:2035572)   #32
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Could we also agree that while things aren't great by any means, it isn't necessary for "everyone" to be a buzzkill?
Old 9 Oct 2007, 08:30 (Ref:2035624)   #33
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
Could we also agree that while things aren't great by any means, it isn't necessary for "everyone" to be a buzzkill?
I try not to be one of those but since I don't know what one is you'll have to let me know if I get a bit buzzkilly (or whatever). As I said before the day CC announces something positive for the long term I'll be here telling you all how happy I am.

Sad thing is all the current situation in global open wheel is doing is pushing people (well....me anyway) elsewhere. F1 appears to be corrupt at times, GP2 is a bit stale, A1GP has iffy driving standards (although I haven't seen this year), IRL has been a tad processional at most ovals and has a team preferring nepotism to supporting their own championship challenge, CCWS just hasn't fired my imagination at all and the organisation appears rather amateurish (an accusation you might be able to lay on A1GP as well with their calendar changes).

NASCAR on the other hand is just doing what it always does confidently and consistently. MotoGP has a great support package, usually more exciting than the headline series, and is great entertainment.

I'm done now....grump over....
Old 9 Oct 2007, 09:58 (Ref:2035694)   #34
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Serious question for the jargon-challenged: What the heck does "buzzkill" mean?

Thank you.
Old 9 Oct 2007, 11:13 (Ref:2035780)   #35
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
BTW Can we lighten up in here - not every person who isn't overly optimistic about the series isn't the son of satan.
Absolutely agree. However I think drawing connections between Ansan and Motorock amongst other things from the potential return of Jensen Motorsport is not lightening up, and dare I suggest being negative for the sake of it.

No one around here expects people who arent optimistic about the series to leave or not post, but to write the same things in threads that arent relevant to the topic is tiresome and pointless.
Old 9 Oct 2007, 13:00 (Ref:2035849)   #36
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Agreed - past failings are off topic (as if I'm honest was most of my little rant this morning).

I think it's fair to say Jensen's arrival is a positive, albeit a very small one since it's hardly unusual for one-off rides to come up at Surfers and Mexico, but nothing like as positive as them announcing they'll be with us all next season.
Old 9 Oct 2007, 14:24 (Ref:2035905)   #37
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Three pages on adding one car to the Mexico City field?

Just IMO, but I find it pretty routine that putting Martinez and Dominguez in rides and finding an 18th car are contractual deals, particularly when ticket sales for Mexico City started so late, Forsythe is not really involved in the promoter group any more and there were issues between CC and OCESA and CC wants to keep the race, particularly since it lost Phoenix as the season closer.

But Jensen, who rewarded us with Fabrizio del Monte for one race a year or two ago, running a car at Mexico City doesn't exactly have the same news value or impact on the series as if Michael Schumacher was going to run a Ferrari backwards in the race.
Old 10 Oct 2007, 02:30 (Ref:2036448)   #38
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
But Jensen, who rewarded us with Fabrizio del Monte for one race a year or two ago, running a car at Mexico City doesn't exactly have the same news value or impact on the series as if Michael Schumacher was going to run a Ferrari backwards in the race.
Compared to all the other news lately, the announcement of an 18th car for a newish team is a positive. Hopefully this can develop into a more long term venture as I would imagine if they needed an 18th car wouldnt PKV just run the spare car ?
Old 10 Oct 2007, 03:12 (Ref:2036476)   #39
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Naw, most likely Kalkhoven got Jensen to lease it so he didn't hafta do that.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 09:09 (Ref:2038327)   #40
D.R.T.
Veteran

So implying the desire and support is available from Jensen to run a car.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 10:33 (Ref:2038399)   #41
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Ahhh, no, I think the idea here is that if you have a spare car and want to add a driver to the field, why involve Jensen at all with a driver who likely will be joining the Fabrizio DelMonte Hall of Fame with Geoff Boss when you could add the car and put that R. Matos fella in their and get him some stick time (with an experienced team) for next season AND advertise your new talent.

But wait, that would make sense...
Old 13 Oct 2007, 01:50 (Ref:2038960)   #42
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
why involve Jensen at all with a driver who likely will be joining the Fabrizio DelMonte Hall of Fame with Geoff Boss
Servia, Dalziel and Matos as mentioned by Mr Jensen dont really fit that mould
Old 13 Oct 2007, 11:13 (Ref:2039140)   #43
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
"Mentioned" by Jensen and the driver who actually hands Jensen a check are two different things. PKV "mentioned" a number of drivers before "Go Go Gommendy" (God, how that nickname makes me grind my teeth) was "hired." Even Vasser didn't know who he was...remember, he said he had to go and meet him? Jensen is the guy that brought us Fabrizio, remember?

And again, especially in Matos' case, why not have PKV field PKV's spare car? At least they can properly support the kid.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 12:08 (Ref:2039168)   #44
Olive
Rookie

United Kingdom
Olive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John - much as I agree with a lot of your scepticism about ChampCar, Gommendy is a good driver. If Vasser hadn't heard of him, he wants to follow motorsport a bit more closely!
Old 13 Oct 2007, 12:25 (Ref:2039186)   #45
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed he is. And let me throw out my theory about this grid increase for Mexico.

* Champ Car wants/needs 18 cars for the last round

* PKV has a spare chassis but not the people

* CC scout around and find Jensen, who's got the people

* Both are now working to find a sponsor, because they don't want to pay for it themselves.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 13:12 (Ref:2039212)   #46
indycool
Veteran

Pretty much on, IMO, Jimmy.

It's not like the PKV bunch hasn't had time to prepare a spare car. On site, a bunch of Atlantic guys can run it.

Sure, Matos and Servia are obvious choices and Dalziel is "owed one" by CC management.
Old 13 Oct 2007, 23:46 (Ref:2039537)   #47
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Not making a judgment about Gommendy, Olive! You would have thought Vasser would have been more "in the loop."
Old 14 Oct 2007, 15:05 (Ref:2039916)   #48
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
Indeed he is. And let me throw out my theory about this grid increase for Mexico.

* Champ Car wants/needs 18 cars for the last round

* PKV has a spare chassis but not the people

* CC scout around and find Jensen, who's got the people

* Both are now working to find a sponsor, because they don't want to pay for it themselves.
Champ Car wanted 24 cars on the grid but it never happened, KK's predictions were way off and even his money and spare chassis couldn't get the grid above 17

but now he has, well done to him
Old 14 Oct 2007, 20:52 (Ref:2040265)   #49
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
Champ Car wanted 24 cars on the grid but it never happened, KK's predictions were way off and even his money and spare chassis couldn't get the grid above 17

but now he has, well done to him
Well let's get it clear. For them 24 was the maximum, but they were hoping for more than 20. They never said they were going to have x number of cars on the grid with the exception of the standard 18.
Old 11 Nov 2007, 03:09 (Ref:2064766)   #50
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't see this car on the entry list?

Did it break down?