Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 31 Oct 2007, 20:29 (Ref:2056254)   #51
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
If he goes to DCR, then DCR remains a 2 car team with Coyne needing to find only one paying driver. The net loss to the grid then is one car, leaving 16.

If Rocketsports doesn't answer the bell (or one of the other one-car operations) then you have 15 on the grid.

Petit's inability/unwillingness to field a team could have a negative impact on the grid this season.
I look at it another way... if Mr Pettit's input into the team is ~$2m a year on top of the existing sponsorship.... and he drives both the funds and chassis to Mr Coyne.... then the car can likely run as is, as a 3rd vehicle, looking for both sponsorship and a driver, for this budget.

If any commercial sponsorship appears, it reduces the $2m required and/or provides an input for the other 2 DCR chassis.

You can add 1+2 and get a little more that 3 if the cards fall right.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 Nov 2007, 01:19 (Ref:2056479)   #52
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
No offense folks, but it seems difficult enough for CC teams to run 2 cars, let alone 3. Go back and look at the threads speculating a 3rd car for NHR and that never happened.

DCR does not have the infrastructure to support 2 cars properly, let alone 3 (despite Bruno's results). Part of how Dale keeps the overhead down is to have limited facilities.

Is it impossible that DCR would field 3 if teamed with Petit? No. Is it likely? No.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 02:15 (Ref:2056497)   #53
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Petit and Gentilozzi, both series owners, cut their teams by one car for '07. Forsythe, a series owner, was going to but changed his mind at the last minute and ran two. Kalkhoven ran Go Go Gommendy until his money ran out.

Does that inspire confidence in three-car teams for '08?
Old 1 Nov 2007, 05:36 (Ref:2056537)   #54
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not at all. But we arent talking about confidence, are we ? The DCR talk has been brought up by forum members.

Possibilities of additional cars is what we are talking about. So far Petitt and Walker have openly talked about wanting to add extra cars to their team or other teams.

Forsythe has seen the on track benefit of running two cars in 07, so I cant see their being the desire to run a single effort for 2008.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 08:10 (Ref:2056585)   #55
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
The DCR talk has been brought up by forum members.
Me actually... I am always a fan of the underdog... to see the DCR operation do so well with Mr Junquiera at the wheel, running on a budget of $2.50 is amazing.... and has me wondering if they didnt have to scrimp and save whether there may be more performance to be unlocked there.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 Nov 2007, 09:52 (Ref:2056670)   #56
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Likely there is more performance available if they had cubic dollars to throw at the problem!

I think we need to keep in mind here that this year, and this year only, we will see a level playing field as all the teams are new to the cars. Going forward, just like in the Lola years, the teams that can test and refine things (ie teams with a budget) will come out on top and the DCRs and Conquests of this world will revert back to their usual grid positions.

Don't get me wrong: I think what DCR has done this season is great and it is always cool to see the underdog do well. I just do not see this happening as we go forward (assuming we go forward) as over the long term the $$ spent on engineering will outweigh the guile, savvy, grit, talent the low $$ teams may bring to the track.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 14:46 (Ref:2056963)   #57
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Forsythe has seen the on track benefit of running two cars in 07, so I cant see their being the desire to run a single effort for 2008.
Or, at the very least, someone has told him about it.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 1 Nov 2007, 15:45 (Ref:2057009)   #58
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forsythe saw the benefits -- and costs -- of running two cars long before '07. He's done both plenty of times in the past.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 17:18 (Ref:2058053)   #59
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
$$$$$
Old 3 Nov 2007, 02:57 (Ref:2058376)   #60
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
The Toronto event being so valuable that they have been/were researching other venues to hold the event, given the costs at the existing location are too high. Not that I am arguing it wasn't a necessary action at the time, because it was.

Quote:
TORONTO, Nov. 1 /CNW/ - Frank D'Angelo President, CEO, and founder of Steelback Brewery and D'Angelo Brands is pleased to announce that he has sold his majority interest in Steelback Brewery and D'Angelo Brands to his financial partners for an undisclosed amount. Frank will remain on board as chairman of the company as well as maintain a minority interest in the business.

Frank D'Angelo is also excited to announce that Columbia University graduate Jonathon Sherman has taken over as President and COO of both companies effective October 29, 2007. Frank in a statement said "the success of the business can be directly attributed to the successful marketing of Steelback Brewery. The result has been Steelback's ranking as one of the fastest growing breweries in Ontario and subsequently Canada. With Jonathon Sherman now at the helm the momentum we've created is sure to continue."

About Steelback Brewery

Steelback Brewery is a privately-owned company based in Tiverton, Ontario where it brews eleven distinct brands of premium quality beer, 4 of which were Medal winners at the 2007 Ontario Brewing Awards. Steelback Brewery received Gold Medals in the dark lager category for Tiverton Bear Dark Lager and for Tiverton Bear Honey Brown and Silver and Bronze Medals in the lager category for Steelback Red and Silver respectively. Included in Steelback Brewery's selection of premium Canadian Beer is Copperhead Pilsner, Bruce Country Wild, Steelback Thunder, Steelback Draught, Chain, Steelback Light and Tango. It is the first brewery in Canada to use innovative packaging methods such as shatterproof bottles and large format cans with full "body sleeve" labels. Steelback is one of the fastest growing new breweries in Canada with distribution in Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and soon in Quebec. For more information visit:www.steelbackbrewery.com

Commentary:

http://www.thestar.com/article/272882

Quote:

... D'Angelo insists he has never been happier in his life. "I'm moving up to chairman," he says. "I've decided to slow down."

This line is made problematic by the fact that D'Angelo is "excited to announce" that Jonathon Sherman, the 24-year-old son of Apotex Inc.'s Barry Sherman, is moving into the CEO's office. Given what would appear to be an absence of deep knowledge in either beer or apple juice, it's fair to wonder what it is that young Mr. Sherman, a graduate of Columbia University (it says so in the press release), can bring to the job.

"He's been working on and off with the company for the past year and a half," says D'Angelo, who adds that Jonathon "worked a bit at Apotex," the generic drug manufacturer that Barry Sherman built into a colossus.

Apotex is a major generic drug maker, one of the largest in the world. They run a tight ship. I understand that Steelback was majorly overlevered, and was forced to be bought out. Not sure if they'll continue with the Toronto Sponsorship.
Old 3 Nov 2007, 14:50 (Ref:2058614)   #61
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
D'Angelo's backing for Steelback brewery came straight for Sherman when he launched the brewery. From what I know, he's burned through quite a bit of cash with very little in the way of beer sales to show for it. I think this is likely Sherman just trying to recoup what has been a very bad investment deciscion.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 14:02 (Ref:2059297)   #62
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This appears to be the latest installment of people clutching at straws

Things don't look good for 2008

i'm still waiting for those 24 cars we were promised this season

did KK actually mean spare cars aswell?
Old 4 Nov 2007, 14:11 (Ref:2059300)   #63
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Yet another one of those "Event Sponsors" that we had never heard of previously and, perhaps, should never have heard of in the first place...you have to fill the blank spaces with something I suppose.

In contrast, of course Angstadt gets slagged for being too gushy. At least:
1) Peak exists.
2) Has $$.
3) Has products it wishes to promote via racing.
4) Has an actual plan to do so.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 14:13 (Ref:2059301)   #64
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
i'm still waiting for those 24 cars we were promised this season
So you will be tuning in for Mexico City then Stradlin ?
Old 4 Nov 2007, 14:14 (Ref:2059303)   #65
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Will the 24 cars be on the grid, or in the spectator parking lot?
Old 4 Nov 2007, 14:55 (Ref:2059319)   #66
D.R.T.
Veteran

I guess you will have to tune in and see, John. Maybe even stop and enjoy the racing while your at it.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 14:57 (Ref:2059321)   #67
indycool
Veteran

The rumbles around Indianapolis are that the '08 CC schedule will be announced this week. Petit has already announced his team, as it is, is done. We know San Jose is done and we know there are problems with other events. Given CC's predisposition to announce races that aren't firm, what do you expect that schedule to have on it, and what's the opening line for the over/under on how many of the announced races will be run?
Old 4 Nov 2007, 14:59 (Ref:2059324)   #68
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I will likely watch the race, but it will be my own decision as to whether I enjoy it or not, thank you very much...

As far as the schedule goes, we almost have to wait till April to have an idea of how much of it is firm, IC.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 15:01 (Ref:2059328)   #69
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Will the 24 cars be on the grid, or in the spectator parking lot?
I think even that might be pushing it a bit!

Old 4 Nov 2007, 15:06 (Ref:2059331)   #70
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
The rumbles around Indianapolis are that the '08 CC schedule will be announced this week.

Given CC's predisposition to announce races that aren't firm, what do you expect that schedule to have on it, and what's the opening line for the over/under on how many of the announced races will be run?
One would hope that the extra time has allowed the schedule to be as firm as possible.

Might be an idea for a new thread, considering the title of this thread.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 15:09 (Ref:2059334)   #71
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
The rumbles around Indianapolis are that the '08 CC schedule will be announced this week. Petit has already announced his team, as it is, is done. We know San Jose is done and we know there are problems with other events. Given CC's predisposition to announce races that aren't firm, what do you expect that schedule to have on it, and what's the opening line for the over/under on how many of the announced races will be run?
they could just announce 30 dates and then they should be covered for about 15 of them to actually happen!

Anyone up for the Champ Car Grand Prix of Greenland?
Old 4 Nov 2007, 15:12 (Ref:2059336)   #72
D.R.T.
Veteran

They could stradlin, a great idea. I am impressed.

Greenland, definately a market there I think. Count me in, we can get all the boys together and head over for a great weekend of ChampCar racing.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 15:12 (Ref:2059337)   #73
indycool
Veteran

Probably a good idea, D.R.T., on second thought. Mods?
Old 4 Nov 2007, 15:44 (Ref:2059347)   #74
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That, of course, will be 1 week after the CC GP of Iceland and 2 weeks after the race on Baffin Island, complete with studded tires.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 15:48 (Ref:2059349)   #75
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
They could stradlin, a great idea. I am impressed.

Greenland, definately a market there I think. Count me in, we can get all the boys together and head over for a great weekend of ChampCar racing.
I don't think I would include the word "great" but a weekend of some kind of racing none the less

I just under how many of the guarenteed 24 cars would make the trip?