Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Aug 2003, 11:09 (Ref:695403)   #1
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's it for Wurz

McLaren have re-confirmed all their drivers for '04 - so that means no BAR for Wurz. Shame if you ask me; I guess McLaren offered him so much that he couldn't refuse.

One less competitor for JV's seat... does this mean that BAR have decided?
Old 22 Aug 2003, 11:21 (Ref:695418)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i am sure Wurz wouldnt have decided to stay on if he was not happy with a Mclaren testing role.
Hmm.. Sato is the only guy i can see replacing JV now.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 11:32 (Ref:695435)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Not just Sato, there are many.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 12:00 (Ref:695478)   #4
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually I think it was a better move for him - BAR aren't as good as they should be, and he gets another year in a top-line team...
Old 22 Aug 2003, 12:15 (Ref:695523)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's better for Wurz to stay at McLaren, but he'll be nowhere if JPM really replaces DC in 2005.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 12:26 (Ref:695546)   #6
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey! This season's not even over yet and you're ruling Wurz out of a BAR drive next season already, just because he's on McLaren's testing list?

Have you not watched the silly season unfold before?

I'm not saying Alex is in with a chance at BAR (or anyone really), but I wouldn't rule him out yet. Mind you - he's rated as a brilliant development driver, whereas he wasn't a brilliant race driver (after his initial promise), which was disappointing of course. I'd far rather be a brilliant development driver than an average racing driver... but then again, I don't think I could drive a F1 car for toffee, even if they could squeeze me into one, so who am I to judge?

I'll get me coat.

Last edited by Mathias; 22 Aug 2003 at 12:26.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 12:39 (Ref:695564)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think McLaren have realised just how valuable Wurz' efforts are to them, and realsie that giivng him up would cost the team as mucha s losing DC. Therefore, if BAR want him,t ehy'll have to pay pretty heavily.

Alex may have lost his ambition to race after having such a tough time at Benetton, and enjoys the settled atmosphere and great job security McLaren testing offers. i doubt he views himself as a real condidate for the 2005 race seat.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 13:05 (Ref:695587)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
While not totally ruling him out, I think it is a strong indication that Wurz will be staying.

I remember McLaren trying to keep Panis. Apparently that was (almost) an offer he couldn't refuse!
Old 22 Aug 2003, 13:08 (Ref:695590)   #9
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"McLaren have re-confirmed all their drivers for '04"

REALLY??!! Sod Wurz, surely the BIG story is that DC STAYS (after all the rumour)!!
Old 22 Aug 2003, 20:10 (Ref:695974)   #10
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"McLaren have re-confirmed all their drivers for '04"

fools, why resign DC, he's never going to win the title, and its only gonna get harder for him, especially after Kimmi , Alonso and JPM will have another years experience of racing at the top.
Unless Mclaren can give hime a very competative car next year i think he will be regularly beaten by Alonso, Trulli, Ralf, Kimmi and Monty, who are all relativly inexperience compared to him, add to that both the Ferrari drivers and he's recieving 1 point, and IF Jaguar can give Wilson and Webber a good car and BAR for button he's gonna struggle.
DC's only pourpose will be to support Kimmi, why not get Button? a driver who is good enough to challenge for the title (imo) but could also be used to help Kimmi along.
sorry, i've started ranting...i'll go now.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 20:43 (Ref:696011)   #11
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Plus the fact that Wurz knows the MP4-18 better than any driver out there will be an incentive to keep him - God forbid he takes any McLaren secrets with him...
Old 23 Aug 2003, 13:57 (Ref:696563)   #12
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it does mean that all those rumours about Monty moving NEXT year are rubbish. My bet's still on him going to Ferrari in 04. UNLESS next year's Williams is super-fast.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 17:52 (Ref:696710)   #13
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Umm, isn't this years williams proving somewhat quick? I imagine Pat and Frank would want to keep Monty, problematic as he is, the boy is a quick one.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 22:07 (Ref:696878)   #14
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
He doesn't want to stay if Ralf is - Williams have to make a decision.

Bearing in mind their money is German money.

(how long do they have Button under contract?)
Old 24 Aug 2003, 05:01 (Ref:697053)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
He doesn't want to stay if Ralf is - Williams have to make a decision.
Where does that theory come from?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:03 (Ref:697375)   #16
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
The fact that they hate each other. And that Montoya wants to try and build up a team around him a la Schumi.

He makes far too many emotional decisions and this is one of them - he would invariably be better off at Williams, but part of this big disagreement between Montoya and the team over the past couple of races has been Williams' failure to get Ralf behind Montoya's championship efforts. I believe J-P has had one of Sir Frank's famous letters.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 07:54 (Ref:699075)   #17
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could just be a sound business move by Ron? He can see Wurz is being courted so sign him up quick and then if anybody seriously wants him they can buy him out of his McLaren contract...makes perfect sense to me
Old 26 Aug 2003, 15:01 (Ref:699562)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Ron just doesn't like the other kids getting the nicest sweets...
Old 26 Aug 2003, 16:51 (Ref:699700)   #19
JFAUSSAN
Rookie

JFAUSSAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well guess this means JV might have a chance after all for next year

Last edited by JFAUSSAN; 26 Aug 2003 at 16:52.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 19:45 (Ref:699929)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wurz was supposedly following in Panis' footsteps with this test role wasn't he? I don't remember Panis seeing out his entire career at McLaren?:confused:
Old 26 Aug 2003, 21:49 (Ref:700055)   #21
the_tsar
Racer

the_tsar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a shame for Wurz, I've never been a Coulthard fan and I think if that Mclaren should move on, I can't see Coulthard ever being champion, too cautious/boring.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 06:18 (Ref:700288)   #22
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about this then...Jordan get Merc engines...Wurz races for Jordan 2004, Heidfeld tests for McLaren 2004 and come 2005 Wurz & Heidfeld duke it out for the seat DC vacates (as MS will have retired after 2004 when roundly beaten by the young guns and JPM will be number 1)
Hey it's no sillier than many of the silly season rumours
Old 27 Aug 2003, 08:31 (Ref:700366)   #23
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently Ron has decided to informally appoint a First driver for next year (Kimi), and keep an expert seawolf to help him the way he's doing this year, taking points out of competitors; it might be that, after all this years, DC has finally found a role that suits him!
Old 27 Aug 2003, 20:20 (Ref:701093)   #24
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wurz and Firman will race for Jordan 2004
Old 28 Aug 2003, 09:14 (Ref:701541)   #25
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Webber /Wurz Jag 04 ?