Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Sep 2003, 10:33 (Ref:723988)   #1
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From bad to Wurz (sorry)

Seems there are renewed rumours concerning Alex Wurz getting a Jaguar drive for 2004. Wilson was never offered anything beyond 2003, but he hasn't exactly had a lot of luck so far and has failed to prove himself (albeit against ultra-stiff competition from Webber). Exactly how they intend getting Wurz out of his (brand new) McLaren contract without vast expense is unexplained - all the more strange given the other recent rumours about Jaguar looking for a driver that will bring cash.

Whatever - silly season rules and all that. Would be a superb driver line-up, in my view. Webber and Wurz - even sounds good.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 10:36 (Ref:723993)   #2
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"From bad to Wurz (sorry)"

It's a toss-up between McNish, Wurz and PDLR IMO. Plus all three deserve a race seat. But then if they're happy going round and round and round and...
Old 19 Sep 2003, 10:37 (Ref:723996)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wurz would be a much better choice than Verstappen, McNish or de la Rosa...
Old 19 Sep 2003, 10:39 (Ref:723998)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: From bad to Wurz (sorry)

Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
Exactly how they intend getting Wurz out of his (brand new) McLaren contract without vast expense is unexplained - all the more strange given the other recent rumours about Jaguar looking for a driver that will bring cash.

Glen, i was under the impression that when the line up for next season was announced, Wurz was allowed to leave if he had a race drive with another team.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 10:41 (Ref:724001)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Getting out of his contract? Hmm I thought about that. It may be that Wurz has a clause that says if a race seat comes up he can leave. This is just a wild random guess to go with the wild silly season rumour!

This year 'silly' just isn't good enough to describe the silly season!

Out of all the names mentioned so far I think Wurz would be best for Jaguar, but at the moment I don't think it'll happen.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 10:42 (Ref:724004)   #6
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wurz would be better than the other suggested choices. But if Jaguar are serious about winning things, then they need a top-line driver, which Wurz is NOT. Maybe Villeneuve?
Old 19 Sep 2003, 10:45 (Ref:724007)   #7
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That would explain the contract thing - good luck to Alex, I think he's highly underrated and a nice bloke with it. It will be good to be able to judge Webber against a known quantity... as things stand he's looking nothing less than a future champion in waiting, but we need better (at least luckier!) team-mates to judge properly.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 10:47 (Ref:724011)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
Wurz would be better than the other suggested choices. But if Jaguar are serious about winning things, then they need a top-line driver, which Wurz is NOT. Maybe Villeneuve?
That's the way to put the kiss of death on a team - wish Jacques on them!

Seriously, I can't imagine Villeneuve going to be Webber's team-mate, bearing mind how much damage Button has caused him.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 10:50 (Ref:724014)   #9
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Difficult one for Wurz, continue testing for a top flight team in the vague off chance that a race seat may materialise if he waits long enough, or go to Jaguar to race around in the mid-field and be trashed by Webber.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 10:51 (Ref:724016)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Villeneuve, imo, is not the sort of driver that Jaguar would be looking for.

Wurz, on the other hand, has lots of knowledge of the McLaren and how the team operates, which makes him exactly the sort of driver that Jaguar would be looking for.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 10:52 (Ref:724017)   #11
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they are strapped for cash keeping Wilson may be the best option as he would be cheapest driver going
Old 19 Sep 2003, 10:54 (Ref:724019)   #12
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Maybe Baumgartner then?
Old 19 Sep 2003, 10:55 (Ref:724021)   #13
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
...or go to Jaguar to race around in the mid-field and be trashed by Webber.
Hmm - not so sure there. Wurz laps at just about the same pace as Kimi and DC all day long. Much of his poor reputation is undeserved and only came from a year in an overweight car. Most current cars are well under the limit so Wurz's size is next to irrelevant now. Jaguar have already accomodated Wilson, so height won't matter either. Webber needs to be tested and Wurz could be the ideal man to do it - McNish and Jos and PDLR are non-starters for me, as is Villeneuve (but for different reasons).
Old 19 Sep 2003, 10:57 (Ref:724026)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
McNish will be at Jordan imo, Jos isn't good enough, again, imo and i can't see PDLR going back to the team that sacked him, or as they had sacked him, why they would want PDLR back.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 11:01 (Ref:724027)   #15
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wilson could test Webber but it was never going to happen coming into the team so late in the season
Whoever takes it to him will need to have been there from the styart of development of next years car and had a full round of winter testing under their belts
Old 19 Sep 2003, 11:31 (Ref:724055)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I'd like to see Nishie get the drive but Wurz would seem to fit Jaguar's bill - testing experience with a top team, same size as Webber, backing from Superfund...
Old 19 Sep 2003, 21:24 (Ref:724657)   #17
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Yeah it's a shame about Wilson though...
Old 19 Sep 2003, 21:30 (Ref:724663)   #18
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Jaguar need, whoever they get is someone who can develop the car so either of the JV or Wurz would be good. yes it is strong but only one of the cars is strong and like Lotus did before it disappeared it seems only capable of being a one car team. They need to develop two cars.
Old 20 Sep 2003, 02:12 (Ref:724777)   #19
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of all the drivers in the picture for Jaguar i agree that Wurz is probably the best bet for Jaguar. He is said to be very technically astute (why else would Mclaren value him so highly), and I think he is seriously undervalued as a racer. He would be a good addition to Webber in the development of the car as well as push him on the track as well.
On the other hand if the Jag brass really wanted to see what Webber was made of (as he is their franchise player) they could throw Villeneuve at him. As long as Jag can give JV a car that doesn't have "osteoporosis" like BAR have, I'm pretty sure his presence would push Webber to even greater heights.
Heidfeld is another driver that would do well at Jaguar. He also fits Jags "german market". Of the three I think Heidfeld occupies the bottom of the list, simply because I don't think he is aggressive enough.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 20 Sep 2003, 05:30 (Ref:724816)   #20
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went on Jaguar-Racing.com just now to see what was going on and the site crashed on me... First time on it too. No joke. Bloody typical
Old 20 Sep 2003, 12:07 (Ref:724966)   #21
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
I went on Jaguar-Racing.com just now to see what was going on and the site crashed on me... First time on it too. No joke. Bloody typical
You'll of been the second user on it!
Old 20 Sep 2003, 12:41 (Ref:724981)   #22
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Heidfeld doesn't get the seat, then I think Wurz be more than adequate enough to fill in teh second seat besides our boy Webber.
Old 20 Sep 2003, 16:03 (Ref:725040)   #23
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Yes, if Wilson is fired. Phoenix1, you know the server is a potato?