Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Feb 2013, 20:42 (Ref:3205518)   #1
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To all the Naysayers and Doubters (Including Myself)

2013 WEC grid- better than expected
2013 ELMS grid- much better than expected
2013 ALMS grid- better than expected
2013 BES grid- looking as strong as last year
2013 AsLMS- looking as though it may actually happen!

Dubai 24 hours and Bathurst 12 have already been real successes.

Yes sportscar racing has its problems and they must be addressed. But support the series you enjoy and have fun with the upcoming season because things aren't looking half bad!
Old 15 Feb 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3205523)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well i would agree so far so good, but let us hope it continues that way
Old 15 Feb 2013, 20:55 (Ref:3205525)   #3
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah the financial crisis and therefore the autosport crisis seems to be solved (God knows it isn't; the financial stuff that is) so enjoy it while it lasts folks!
Old 15 Feb 2013, 21:50 (Ref:3205545)   #4
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's true that some people do love to wallow in the doom and gloom.

The only real disappointment you can point to anywhere is the P1 situation worldwide. But with new regs coming let's see.

Hoping to get to plenty of racing this year. Le Mans, the WEC/ELMS bonanza at Silverstone, Blancpain and hopefully a couple of British GT rounds. Off-topic trips to the WRC in Finland and Wales also on the list. It's looking like a good year!
Old 15 Feb 2013, 23:10 (Ref:3205597)   #5
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, well .... um ... Rolex still sucks. We're dooooomed!
Old 16 Feb 2013, 00:01 (Ref:3205619)   #6
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
Yes sportscar racing has its problems and they must be addressed. But support the series you enjoy and have fun with the upcoming season because things aren't looking half bad!
Seems like really good advice! Loud fast cars in bright colors flashing by, too much sun, probably some rain, a bit too much beer, sore feet, and a smile that doesn't go away for a week.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 00:10 (Ref:3205621)   #7
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Rolex still sucks.
You mean as a watch maker? Do you mean as a sponsor of Le Mans? Are you using the watch manufacture name in vain, refering to GA? Do you mean as the title sponsor of GA?

Last edited by Breitling24; 16 Feb 2013 at 00:20.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 02:56 (Ref:3205671)   #8
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Let's reframe from making negative comments about a major sportscar sponsor that is supporting the sport we all love.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 13:38 (Ref:3205858)   #9
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Let's reframe from making negative comments about a major sportscar sponsor that is supporting the sport we all love.
I love my GMT-Master IIc.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 14:07 (Ref:3205864)   #10
svend.olsen
Rookie

United States
Gatortown
svend.olsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geting ready for Sebring. Looking into the future feeling very good about LMP2 LMPC with a extra heavy dose of GT. Will deal with the Prototurtles when they get here.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 18:51 (Ref:3205938)   #11
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd like to applaud you all on your totally deaf ears for humorous sarcasm.

I hope to see some of you at upcoming events (including the Rolex Series/IndyCar weekend at Barber.) Sebring first though.

Even so ... Only Two Audis at Sebring?... we're dooooomed!

Been practicing that attitude for too long to change quickly.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 10:34 (Ref:3206153)   #12
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has the Bathurst 12h seriously gained a presence amongst motorsport fans overseas?
Old 17 Feb 2013, 10:50 (Ref:3206163)   #13
somebodysb2
Racer

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
somebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsomebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Has the Bathurst 12h seriously gained a presence amongst motorsport fans overseas?
It has, but still a long way to go until it can join the "greats" like Spa

Getting rid of those lower classes would be a start
Old 17 Feb 2013, 10:53 (Ref:3206166)   #14
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodysb2 View Post
It has, but still a long way to go until it can join the "greats" like Spa

Getting rid of those lower classes would be a start
Wrong. Races like the Nurburgring 24h are great because of the variety they offer (and that includes the lower classes).
Old 17 Feb 2013, 11:05 (Ref:3206170)   #15
somebodysb2
Racer

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
somebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsomebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Wrong. Races like the Nurburgring 24h are great because of the variety they offer (and that includes the lower classes).
The Ring also happens to be much larger than Bathurst.

Some tracks can handle a lot of different cars, some tracks cannot.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 13:04 (Ref:3206200)   #16
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The Ring also happens to be much larger than Bathurst.

Some tracks can handle a lot of different cars, some tracks cannot.
And what exactly happened at this years race that suggests the track can't handle that many cars?
Old 17 Feb 2013, 14:35 (Ref:3206214)   #17
somebodysb2
Racer

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
And what exactly happened at this years race that suggests the track can't handle that many cars?
multi-class racing etiquette, the closing speeds particularly at the mountain section, etc

I know that this happens at every endurance event, but its an issue nonetheless!
Old 17 Feb 2013, 14:53 (Ref:3206218)   #18
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
multi-class racing etiquette, the closing speeds particularly at the mountain section, etc

I know that this happens at every endurance event, but its an issue nonetheless!
Speed differentials are relative, you need the small touring car classes if the top class is GTE/GT3/an equivalent of those two, in percentage terms small touring cars are slower than GTE/GT3 by a similar percentage (about 20-30%) to the one by which GTE cars are slower than LMP1.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 15:48 (Ref:3206229)   #19
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
If you're organising an event anywhere in the world and you want it to be recognised overseas, the first thing you do is get RLM involved.

Bathurst was immediately on my "must-listen-to" list for this year when I heard RLM were going there. So yes, it certainly has.

If not for them, I wouldn't have bothered with Barthurst or Dubai.

Overall, that's another thing to be really happy about in our little corner of the sport. We have one of the most passionate, enthusiastic and charismatic commentary teams in the motorsport world pretty much all to ourselves and we're undeniably healthier for it.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 20:30 (Ref:3206331)   #20
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
If not for them, I wouldn't have bothered with Barthurst or Dubai.
That´s almost an insult for Bathurst... Admittedly, RLM is bringing something extra to any race but I believe Mount Panorama, the racing, the atmosphere and presumably the very hospitable attitude of the ´Aussies´ will make it worth the trip anyway!
Old 18 Feb 2013, 05:22 (Ref:3206543)   #21
Maelochs
Veteran

RLM is a huge benefit---getting rid of "reference lap times" would put them over the top and into "Really Important International Race' territory.

Race tracks shouldn't have speed limits except in the pits.

Of course, the reference time at Bathurst was almost a non-factor as most race laps wouldn't have broken it anyway, and only one car did in qualifying, but penalizing cars for going fast? That's so backwards, it is almost Grand Am-ish.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 12:35 (Ref:3206675)   #22
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What got my attention re Bathurst was the free web stream. I know some people had problems with it but it worked fine for me. At a time when F1 continues to edge towards pay-TV, being able to watch this sort of stuff live, uninterrupted and free is great. Long may it continue.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 13:26 (Ref:3206695)   #23
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd watch push carts on the mountain in Bathhurst, so putting GT cars on an uninterrupted stream from there will always have my attention.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 13:36 (Ref:3206701)   #24
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep
That´s almost an insult for Bathurst... Admittedly, RLM is bringing something extra to any race but I believe Mount Panorama, the racing, the atmosphere and presumably the very hospitable attitude of the ´Aussies´ will make it worth the trip anyway!
You misunderstood me. Without RLM, Bathurst would have been very difficult to even hear about. I was only reminded the event took place through listening to MWM and following Hindaugh on twitter. If not for them, I wouldn't have seen anything about it at all. I have no doubt it's a brilliant event and I would love to go, but living in the UK, I have to rely on RLM to have my eyes opened to such events.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 12:56 (Ref:3207890)   #25
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I had Bathurst and Dubai on streaming, and RLM on audio.
Easier at Bathurst, as JH WAS on circuit commentator! You could hear those dulcet Geordie (sic) tones over the effects mikes!

The thing is, RLM ARE the people you go to, if you want the world to know you exist. The world knows RLM, and trusts them. It's been a LONG slog for John, and Eve, and I'm happy for them to reap any rewards going for the work they've done...