Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 20 Oct 2006, 13:45 (Ref:1743165)   #1
Britcarfan
Rookie

England
East Anglia
Britcarfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please - help needed with new Nikon D200

I used my Nikon D200 for the first time today at Silverstone. I have read the manual and tried a vast number of diffrerent settings and still all my pics were out of focus by along way. I was using my Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens. I only managed to get 12 in focus pics. The results I got with my D50 hugely better. Please can someone tell me where I am going wrong?

Ray.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 15:30 (Ref:1743241)   #2
Paul.GT
Rookie

Paul.GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you using the Shutter button to focus or the AF button on the back of the camera,also i know there have been focusing problems with sigma lenses and the D200.Can you post any out of focus pictures.Paul
Old 20 Oct 2006, 15:39 (Ref:1743246)   #3
Britcarfan
Rookie

England
East Anglia
I have tried using both. And my lense has had the latest chip fitted by Sigma themselves to make it 100% compatible with the D200.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1743591)   #4
Paul.GT
Rookie

Paul.GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
K,could be down to technic then, i've read on different forums that the D200 has more mega pixels but are smaller so they exaggerate camera shake more,not saying this myself but you can read bout it here.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18471651
Paul
Old 21 Oct 2006, 09:11 (Ref:1743952)   #5
Guidoh
Rookie

United Kingdom
Near Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire, UK
Guidoh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure about the D200 itself with Sigma lenses as I have a D2H and use only Nikkor glass.....

However, it may help you if I tell you how I get crystal clear motorcycle shots....

I always use 'Single-point' focussing on my D2H. That is where I select only one of the several focus points you see in the viewfinder to compose my image rather than using 'Dynamic' or 'Group' modes which gather information from a series of points.

To me it seems plausible that the lens and camera combination will be able to focus quicker if it only has one point to think about rather than interpreting information from several.

Really concentrate on your focus point/s and your subject when panning and composing the shot. My eye in the viewfinder is usually locked more onto the focus point itself than the subject behind it. I rely more on peripheral vision to track the point on the subject. That way I can keep the point fixed on say, a logo or aspect of the bike/car thus giving the focussing system more of a chance to 'lock-on'.

If you get the chance financially, buy some AF-S Nikkor glass. I used a Sigma lens on my D2H and had simillar results to you. Then, without changing my shooting style or settings I used a Nikkor AF-S lens on the same type of action and my hit rate soared.

I now only use Nikkor glass on my Nikon bodies.

Hope this helps.

Guy
Old 21 Oct 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1744263)   #6
Britcarfan
Rookie

England
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoh
Not sure about the D200 itself with Sigma lenses as I have a D2H and use only Nikkor glass.....

However, it may help you if I tell you how I get crystal clear motorcycle shots....

I always use 'Single-point' focussing on my D2H. That is where I select only one of the several focus points you see in the viewfinder to compose my image rather than using 'Dynamic' or 'Group' modes which gather information from a series of points.

To me it seems plausible that the lens and camera combination will be able to focus quicker if it only has one point to think about rather than interpreting information from several.

Really concentrate on your focus point/s and your subject when panning and composing the shot. My eye in the viewfinder is usually locked more onto the focus point itself than the subject behind it. I rely more on peripheral vision to track the point on the subject. That way I can keep the point fixed on say, a logo or aspect of the bike/car thus giving the focussing system more of a chance to 'lock-on'.

If you get the chance financially, buy some AF-S Nikkor glass. I used a Sigma lens on my D2H and had simillar results to you. Then, without changing my shooting style or settings I used a Nikkor AF-S lens on the same type of action and my hit rate soared.

I now only use Nikkor glass on my Nikon bodies.

Hope this helps.

Guy
Thanks for your reply. I went to Brands Hatch today. Unfortunately I left before you posted your advice. However rather strangely I tried exactly what you suggested without even knowing you had suggested it! It worked alot better than the settings/method I used yesterday and I came away with nearly 200 keepers (a massive improvement!). I have just spent every last penny I have on the D200 so buying some AF-S Nikkor glass is along way off. What is the cheapest way to a suitable AF-S Nikkor lens for motorsport. Thanks again,

Ray.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 08:41 (Ref:1744707)   #7
Guidoh
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hi Ray,

Some of the better deals for Nikkor glass are on Ebay (Surprise, surprise!!). I got 2 of my lenses new from Hong Kong, delivered within a week and vastly cheaper than in the UK. In fact my D2H body came from Hong Kong. Digitalrev and Digitalishop are two reputable traders in HK on Ebay

You can get some good 2nd-hand units by scouring the forums (Nikonians.org etc) and again on Ebay. Don;t forget to also try you local Nikon Dealers. They always have a good range of 2nd-hand glass in.

I'd vouch for AF-S everytime for action snapping. It's got me two front covers and 8-pages of the Official 2007 British Superbike Calendar so it can't be wrong......

Guy
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1744889)   #8
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi Ray,

Some of the better deals for Nikkor glass are on Ebay (Surprise, surprise!!). I got 2 of my lenses new from Hong Kong, delivered within a week and vastly cheaper than in the UK. In fact my D2H body came from Hong Kong. Digitalrev and Digitalishop are two reputable traders in HK on Ebay

Guy
Have you ever had any problems with HM Customs & Excise when ordering from HK? I've been tempted in the past but the potential hassles have put me off.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 19:09 (Ref:1745275)   #9
Britcarfan
Rookie

England
East Anglia
Quote:
Hi Ray,

You can get some good 2nd-hand units by scouring the forums (Nikonians.org etc) and again on Ebay. Don;t forget to also try you local Nikon Dealers. They always have a good range of 2nd-hand glass in.

I'd vouch for AF-S everytime for action snapping. It's got me two front covers and 8-pages of the Official 2007 British Superbike Calendar so it can't be wrong......

Guy
Hi Guy,

Thanks for the tips on the Nikkor glass. One thing I noticed at Brands Hatch yesterday was that I still couldn't get the shutter speeds down as low as I could with the D50, whilst maintaining sharpness. Is there any more advice you can give me about what settings/technique to use? I would appreciate any additional help you can give me as its always great to learn from an expert.

Cheers,

Ray.

Last edited by Britcarfan; 22 Oct 2006 at 19:16.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1745379)   #10
Guidoh
Rookie

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadan
Have you ever had any problems with HM Customs & Excise when ordering from HK? I've been tempted in the past but the potential hassles have put me off.
No, never had a hassle.

There are certain factors you can address yourself which I do not think it is entirely prudent to post publicly. Feel free to email me and I can enlighten you.

Regards, Guy