Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jun 2000, 16:27 (Ref:20291)   #1
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everything I seem to read about the situation with RB and MS in Ferrari is totally nonsense. Despite RB's continuing excuses, i have no doubt in my mind that RB has the same equipment to work with as MS. I admit that this was not the case with Irvine, but Ferrari have no incentive to provide RB with an inferior car. Would they rather have McLaren beat Shui or RB beat shui? I think the latter is obviously correct. In terms of strategy, its normal that the race leader is going to have the widest options. When your constantly lying fifth or sixth, a gamble is often taken. In terms of Canada and Montreal, I cant understand what all the fuss is about. Michael was comfortably leading by 30 sec and pacing himself with RB's times(in the 1:35's) and not wanting to take any risks he begins to slow down, sometimes as much as four seconds a lap. Its not that Rubens was going faster, MS was going rightfully slower. If MS had just lost 3 secs instead of 4 in one of those last laps, RB would not have been that close on the last corner, and therefore couldnt have claimed that he could have one the race.Even if he was under team orders not to pass, then how does this differ to the cases with McLaren telling Mika to stop hounding DC at silverstone? Or jordan telling Ralf to stop harrasing Damon at Spa? If people dont like Shui then they should just state it, rather than trying to make up bull#### stories of why he shouldnt have won a race. And if RB wants to claim his capable of winning a race and beating Shui, then he needs to prove it on the track, where he has an equal car and is free from discrimination from the Ferrari team.
Old 29 Jun 2000, 18:05 (Ref:20304)   #2
Rated R
Rookie

Rated R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chill out neutral,
I think most of us here agree to what you've said--that MS rightfully won the Canadian GP. There are some people with a different opinion but that's what's the fun thing. It'd be so boring if we're all to repeat the same stuff, no?
Old 29 Jun 2000, 19:57 (Ref:20314)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First things first. MS is a great driver. He possesses great skills and has the ability to exploit them. Anyone who disagrees is letting bias get in the way. I respect his skill as a driver greatly. However, I do believe that it is chicken**** of him to demand that his teammate be subservient. By contract, something that MS confirmed himself, his teammates are not allowed to challenge his supremacy by contract. This displays a weakness on the part of MS that he will not tolerate his teammate being considered an equal. Why Ferrari allows this go on I cannot fathom. At Canada, I think we would have seen an epic battle between MS and DC for the win. But, DC's car stalled and ended his chances with the penalty. RB and MH were too busy playing block you-block me that they let JV beat them both and so in lap 1 the race was effectively over. They have no one to blame but themselves. Had I been either of these two I would much rather be behind a guy as fast as me than behind the BAR.

Formula 1 teams are rife with favoritism behavior. The number 2 driver is given lesser equipment than his number 1 teammate. Why? Doesn't it double the chances of victory to have two fast teammates instead of one that fails week after week? Williams has done this to drivers for years and then allows the press to rake the driver over the coals for it. I think that Mac has supported MH much more than DC over the last three years and now that pendulum has started to come the other way. Now we see MH starting to sulk about his performances. It is a weakness that you rarely see in CART or NASCAR. If the American press ever got wind of a driver in any of the big series demanding that the team hire him what is essentially a moving chicane, they'd ream him out unmercifully for it and the fans would voice their displeasure as well. This business of #1 and #2 is damaging F1. If a team establishes a #1 driver it means to me that he is so far ahead of his teammate in the points that he cannot be caught and his teamate can be expected to receive team orders to assist in a championship run. This is never decided before the season begins as is so common in F1.

It might say in RB's contract that he is on equal footing with MS, but it really matters what it says in MS's contract. It's easy for the team to make sure it happens that way. I also believe that RB will never be able to beat MS in a straight fight because he is not strong enough mentally for the behind scenes warfare that MS wages. He may be able to beat MS on the track on ocassion, but MS will always have the upper hand because he wins it before they ever get behind the wheel.
Old 29 Jun 2000, 22:04 (Ref:20328)   #4
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calm down guys. Schumacher had car trouble, im sure it was a brake bias problem, that is why he slowed down, he said it himself. Im not saying that Rubens could have won, but he was "asked" not to pass. That is why TGF thanked him for protecting him on the last laps, even though there wasn't anybody there.
Old 29 Jun 2000, 23:06 (Ref:20349)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with KC. If TGF is such a God, why does he need to demand that everybody let him by? If he could win without having special favours, wouldn't he do it?

But it's all rubbish anyway and I'd rather watch sports cars.
Old 30 Jun 2000, 00:27 (Ref:20364)   #6
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I admire TGF for his excellent driving talent, although I still rate Alesi above him.

However, I'm with KC and Liz on this one. If he is indeed so good, why on earth does he need Barrichello, a driver who we presume to be of lesser skill, to be stopped from racing him???

Ok, so teams do have number one drivers - McLaren and Hakkinen, Minardi and Gene, Williams and Ralf etc... But with Ferrari it's so much more blatant.

There appear to be no rules in the contracts of DC and MH which prevent them from racing. We regularly see Mazzacane ahead of Gene. Ralf and Button race away.

But Ferrari? All I can say is Rubens should get out quick, while other teams will still want him.
Old 30 Jun 2000, 02:16 (Ref:20400)   #7
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't mean to sound to uptight, but my point is that someone doesnt win 40 races because his team favours him. How many times has RB been told to pull over to let Michael by? I think the answer is zero. It has not been shown this year that there is obligation on RB's part to support MS. Yet some of the panel is still claiming he is stil under contractual obligation. I dont understand this, and i suppose I will have to agree to disagree with the majority this time. Team sentiment might favour Michael, but team backing is just as much for Rubens as it is for Shui.
Old 30 Jun 2000, 03:43 (Ref:20420)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is not that Ferrari is intentionally giving inferior equipment to Ferrari, it is that they are spending more time and money making sure that TGF has the best chance to win the World Championship. So if TGF ends up with a slightly better car, then that is just a result of the extra time and money that was put into his car, not of Ferrari saying "lets screw Rubino".

As for him wanting his teammate to subserviant, this is simply a product of Ferrari treating him like a God. He is just so full of himself that he cannot possibly imagine any other driver being able to drive at his level, even if they can.
Old 30 Jun 2000, 04:04 (Ref:20425)   #9
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can not stand Micheal Schumacher. With this in mind i still stand in Aww at his talent. The problem with TGF, one of the many, is not that he is the best but that he know he is the best.

P.S. I agree with Jay about the inferior car thing.