Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 9 Oct 2023, 15:09 (Ref:4180716)   #51
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
An eclectic mix there, Peter! Nice to see the finned Vauxhall Cresta - not so common these days.

I've got a local show next week in Loos en Gohelle; I suspect it won't be quite so glamorous as the artwork on their promotional material suggests, though.

I was followed out of Cambrai last night by a US Army Jeep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Lovely selection of, as John said, eclectic cars. Quite a selection also. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks chaps, I'm going back through the ones that got away to see if there are any others worthy of publishing.
Old 9 Oct 2023, 16:34 (Ref:4180729)   #52
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Well, the short answer is "because you can". But I like it and I've always liked custom cars but they have to be old school, not Anglias with Hyabusa or Duratec engines. There was a nice Toyota 2000 GT on wide 13" wheels with an upgraded engine and lowered suspension. Couldn't get a decent shot though.

So, taking away customised cars what one would you take home? I took my XJS home but if I had to, I'd probably go for the Mustang Cobra.

It's just personal taste, after all.

And given a chance, I must admit that I would go modern and am torn between the Aston Martin Vantage and the DB11. Yes, I'm hanging my head in shame!
Old 9 Oct 2023, 16:43 (Ref:4180731)   #53
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not at all. The Mustang I referenced is 2022. And whilst I love Astons, they are very temperamental and need more care than a horse.
Old 9 Oct 2023, 18:20 (Ref:4180740)   #54
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, very nice selection indeed, thanks. The RSR looks great but the last picture of a rare Vedette is stunning. No many utes survived abuse. Among the Simca Vedette range, the Abeille could be a good example:http://leroux.andre.free.fr/utilitaireabeille.htm Quai de Javel had an answer: http://sophmathsm.unblog.fr/2011/06/...1-commerciale/
Old 12 Nov 2023, 10:25 (Ref:4185554)   #55
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
So, yesterday I toddled off to the NEC near Birmingham (UK) Airport for the Classic Car and Bike Show. Lots to see, plenty of folk to talk to. I find bikes a bit uninteresting so basically ignored them. The photos are here: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjB32Gt
Old 12 Nov 2023, 11:23 (Ref:4185562)   #56
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great selection of photos there, Peter. Unfortunately you well caught the problem with classic cars today - most of the folks in the shots were in the 'elderly' age group. New blood is definitely needed.
I particularly liked the Moggy Minor pick-up and the mean looking Ford Corsair. That brought back memories of a two week trip to Portugal in 1967 in a loaned Corsair 2 litre V4 GT (red, just like the one at the NEC) with girlfriend who later became Mrs MG Mk 1) and another couple.
Who is it who says 'happy days'?
Old 12 Nov 2023, 11:37 (Ref:4185565)   #57
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
A great selection of photos there, Peter. Unfortunately you well caught the problem with classic cars today - most of the folks in the shots were in the 'elderly' age group. New blood is definitely needed.
I particularly liked the Moggy Minor pick-up and the mean looking Ford Corsair. That brought back memories of a two week trip to Portugal in 1967 in a loaned Corsair 2 litre V4 GT (red, just like the one at the NEC) with girlfriend who later became Mrs MG Mk 1) and another couple.
Who is it who says 'happy days'?
Thanks and yes, you can see the age problem.
Old 12 Nov 2023, 11:46 (Ref:4185567)   #58
tocatrucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Lane 1 of the A1M
tocatrucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ken's Vitesse is always my car the show anytime he displays it.
Old 12 Nov 2023, 17:39 (Ref:4185602)   #59
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for the pics, Peter - a good selection. That Corsair does look superb - it will have been an early 1500GT, as pre-aeroflow....(removes anorak)

Fancy you managing to sneak in a shot of a race SD1
Old 12 Nov 2023, 17:49 (Ref:4185603)   #60
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Lol, I did like that Corsair, great clour and just the right stance. A most underrated vehicle IMO.
Old 12 Nov 2023, 18:02 (Ref:4185609)   #61
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Lol, I did like that Corsair, great clour and just the right stance. A most underrated vehicle IMO.
I'll go for the Sunbeam Venezia for rarity value, but the Austin Woody is rather lovely. But no Alfa's??

Next weekend is Interclassics Brussels, which has rapidly become one of the best shows in Europe, & in a rather nicer venue than the NEC. The parking is affordable too! Sadly I can't go this year as I have another engagement.
Old 12 Nov 2023, 18:43 (Ref:4185613)   #62
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
I'll go for the Sunbeam Venezia for rarity value, but the Austin Woody is rather lovely. But no Alfa's??
There were some lovely Alfas but too many people around them when I tried to photograph them. Plus with all that's there I'm always bound to miss a marque or two.
Old 4 Dec 2023, 09:21 (Ref:4188204)   #63
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
A rather damp and dull Car Collective yesterday, but there were still plenty to photograph.

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjB5zTh
Old 4 Dec 2023, 17:34 (Ref:4188277)   #64
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks VESIX! The MkII Granada looks like a veranda on wheels, love this wagon. What were they thinking when designing the Scorpio Mk II I wonder? Only a good opportunity to buy a Cossie engine for pocket money.
Old 30 Dec 2023, 14:00 (Ref:4190249)   #65
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have been trying to upload some pictures here but the programme says a security token is missing and will not allow me to upload.
Old 30 Dec 2023, 14:53 (Ref:4190259)   #66
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brackley

A few French Cars at the Brackley Christmas Classic today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpine A110  .jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	78438

Name:	Matra Djet  .jpg
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	78439

Name:	Rene Bonnet Djet  .jpg
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	78440
Old 30 Dec 2023, 14:57 (Ref:4190260)   #67
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Brackley

A few British classics.

Name:	Clan Crusader  .jpg
Views:	0
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	78441

Name:	Morris Minor Van  .jpg
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	78442

Name:	Rover 220 Turbo  Pace Car  .jpg
Views:	0
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	78443
Old 30 Dec 2023, 20:38 (Ref:4190289)   #68
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thanks for sharing, Robert. The first Djet is really a rarity, the bumpers are hard to find now and the silver one in RHD looks great too. Thanks to your pics, I found that Youri Gagarine was given a Djet5 when visiting Matra in '65 (Wiki says reg was 3915WW275 which is strange). As to the A110, cant say if it's a Grp3 or 4?
Old 31 Dec 2023, 03:38 (Ref:4190319)   #69
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Always had a love / lust for the A110. We have one here I regularly see at 'regularity trials' here. IIRC this one was said to be a Group 4
Attached Thumbnails
2cjQux7 AlpineSandown.jpeg   6SM19Vm Alpine Sandown.jpeg  
Old 31 Dec 2023, 09:19 (Ref:4190324)   #70
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Always had a love / lust for the A110. We have one here I regularly see at 'regularity trials' here. IIRC this one was said to be a Group 4
Amusing sticker on the back window!
Old 31 Dec 2023, 13:38 (Ref:4190358)   #71
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Amusing sticker on the back window!
Mandatory in this country, I remember E.B numerous and accurate explanations on the forum. May be a Group4 but if it's an ex-works, the top of the rear right wing should have a "trappe" to hyde/give access to the fuel filler neck. Great car, good souvenirs, great fun all the important bits are here, don't you think so? Yes, they are!
Old 31 Dec 2023, 16:37 (Ref:4190383)   #72
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brooklands NYD car gathering tomorrow and the sun looks like putting in a brief appearance!
Old 31 Dec 2023, 17:12 (Ref:4190388)   #73
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
At £20 a pop I wonder how many will attend.
Old 31 Dec 2023, 17:51 (Ref:4190395)   #74
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
At £20 a pop I wonder how many will attend.
I have attended every event and it's almost always rammed, I am somewhat biased in that the venue is where completed my engineering apprenticeship so I do have a natural affinity
Old 31 Dec 2023, 18:39 (Ref:4190402)   #75
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No problem, I recall a college trip way back, where they showed us the computerised draughting system for wings, I think they were for the A319 Airbus. And a flexible mirror material again, used in aircraft.

I've also been there on New Year's Day a couple of times.

My point is that the entry fee used to be more reasonable for what is a classic car gathering.