Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 27 Sep 2005, 07:05 (Ref:1417588)   #1
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
2006 CCWS Silly Season

There will be 15-17 races on the 2006 race calendar and an expansion to a 20+ car grid is expected.

2006 CCWS Race Calendar?
+
There is a possibility of other events being added to the schedule, with Beijing and Philadelphia being the most likely additions.

Possible 2006 CCWS Team & Driver Line-Up?
Champcarfan.com

Last edited by macdaddy; 27 Sep 2005 at 13:09.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 15:24 (Ref:1418005)   #2
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they don`t pull off Ansan this year, it should be dropped for 2006. Enough is enough.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1418055)   #3
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this thread should be dropped. There's no reason for us to start beating ourselves 8 months before the season starts and 2 before it ends.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1418120)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yea, nothing concrete is likely at this stage. And I would give Ansan a second chance, but only if they can get it perfected by February.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 18:13 (Ref:1418121)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Again Ansan is mentioned wonder if it will actually take place.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 23:49 (Ref:1418372)   #6
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabs_nsx
There will be 15-17 races on the 2006 race calendar and an expansion to a 20+ car grid is expected.
If only it were true. I would be very suprised to see more than the 18 we manage this year. I guess if Ganassi come over we might get 20, but I'd rather he didnt anyway.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 03:33 (Ref:1418461)   #7
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there will be much change at all in the grid size. It wouldn't make much sense for a new team to buy a chassis they could only use for a year before the new regs kick in in 2007. Perhaps in 2007, with the new package expected to be more affordable, then you'll see some increase in the grid, much as we are seeing with the Atlantics for next year.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 04:00 (Ref:1418469)   #8
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
If only it were true. I would be very suprised to see more than the 18 we manage this year. I guess if Ganassi come over we might get 20, but I'd rather he didnt anyway.
In all the time that i've been here the number of 26 car grids that have appeared in theese threads...

I do agree, that an influx should come with a steady calender and a new rule package.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 04:04 (Ref:1418470)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Great point, but we have Ferrari stating intentions to run at least a few races. We have rumours about a former team running the US events. And there are a few "show cars" gracing doorways across America that still meet spec.

I think there will be 20 cars next year.

In 2007, there will be 24. Almost like the "golden years". And, given the explosion in Atlantic interest, I can only see that number growing.
Quickly.

Old 28 Sep 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1418934)   #10
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the latest Robin Miller article, he suggested the following driver/car movement:
  • Newman-Haas third car: either Oriol Servia or Cristiano Da Matta (alongside Bourdais and Junqueria) -- but surely it has to be Da Matta?
  • Chip Ganassi will run a one car team at some of the US events (Target wants more US exposure)
  • At PKV, Da Matta is likely to move on and Vasser is expected to retire. Miller suggests that Patrick Carpentier, Ryan Dalziel, and Darren Manning are in the frame for the rides.
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/19815/
Old 29 Sep 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1419924)   #11
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That ChampCarFan article has Wirdheim and Bremer down for HVM -do they know something about Keith Wiggins winning the lottery? But the best quote is -"Ron Hemelgarn has claimed last year that he wants to come back to Champ Car but so far it was only a ploy to get financial help from TG - he is doing the same thing this year.".... yes, and you've fell for it. Again.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1420136)   #12
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
i think 18 will be the number for once no new team is gonna waste money on a chassis that is gonna become obselete in one year, one of the appeals of the series is cost effectiveness and how is wasting a ton of money on being competitive one year and then just have to start over cost effective.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1420935)   #13
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The hope is that most of the 18 will be there on merit and in fully-funded cars - although I suspect it would be a mixture of the two, much like 2004.
Old 6 Oct 2005, 23:56 (Ref:1425825)   #14
parabolica
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
parabolica should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tenoch: "no new team is gonna waste money on a chassis that is gonna become obselete in one year.."

As Macdaddy points out, there are many curent-spec champcars sitting idle around the USA at present. I read that the Ganassi car was actually loaned to Mo Nunn for promotional purposes, and is now being preped in the Ganassi workshop. By running a few events in 06, Ganassi would be making a very-low key return with the minimum of fuss.

I would think that 06 being the last year of the current Lola, would make purchasing any spare chassis very cheap for new teams. For example, in the last year of Reynards, they could be bought very cheap compared with their Lola counter-parts, despite the fact that they had obvious performance defiencies. And as RuSport showed in 04, alot can be learned by a new team in only 12 months. Why wait 12 months until the chassis will cost 3 times the price? Why not learn cheaply now, build up a sponsor-base, develop a driver &team releationship, then purchase the new (more expensive) chassis in 07.
Old 6 Oct 2005, 23:59 (Ref:1425827)   #15
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Very good post, parabolica.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 00:54 (Ref:1425854)   #16
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
I thought that those LOLAS were extremely scarce, unlike the Reynards. Some of the lolas out there arent in great shape rememeber that this year RHR moved into Timos back up car cause his Lola was gone beyond repair.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 01:00 (Ref:1425858)   #17
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be interested to see who ends up alongside Tagliani at Team Australia.

They have shown a lot of faith in Marshall this season, and I would not be stunned to see him retained.

However, Craig Gore has a history of being uncompromising on drivers and has made noises of looking elsewhere.

The only guys that I can think would be ready for such a ride are Briscoe, Courtney and Power.

Briscoe is tied to Toyota and is therefore unavailable. Courtney has indicated he will most likely sign with Toyota to race in Super GT, with a possible Nippon campaign. And Power impressed the team in his Portland test, but has indicated he is looking to remain in Europe.

Will Davison is looking at V8Supercars. Karl Reindler and Barton Mawer are not ready, or good enough yet. Christian Jones is probably not good enough either. David Besnard appears on the outer in V8Supercars - could Gore fling him into a Champ Car?

This all leads me to think that Marshall could well be retained.

Is there anyone else that I have forgotten?
Old 7 Oct 2005, 01:27 (Ref:1425867)   #18
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Tenoch...
You're probably right. I've no idea how many "showcars" there are. Of course, a fledgling team could easily get their feet wet with a Reynard.

mac...
You're assuming that Tagliani will be retained in the first place. He's a great talent, but he doesn't really fit with the mold of "Team Australia". And I've been of the assumption (easily proven wrong) that his contract expires at the end of this season?
Old 7 Oct 2005, 01:37 (Ref:1425874)   #19
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was of the assumption that he had already renewed his contract.

Team Australia is struggling to find one Australian suitable for Champ Car ....... let alone two.

Walker and Gore both love him ........ and he has a gorgeous Australian wife.

He'll be there in 2006, but I have no idea who his team mate will be!
Old 7 Oct 2005, 01:51 (Ref:1425884)   #20
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be shear lunicy for Tag to get the boot at the end of this season. The team would have been no where without him. I would be surprised if Tag had a contract beyond this season. Tag gets paid NOTHING by the team. He only gets prize money! Every team on the grid has to be considering him for 2006. I think PKV may be his logical destination. Then again if Team Ausi can get some cash flow and new talent they could be a serious contender at the front.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 02:35 (Ref:1425904)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As long as Walker has influence Tags will not be going anywhere.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 03:46 (Ref:1425924)   #22
mac
Veteran

Craig Gore wants him around too.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 05:41 (Ref:1425994)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The website linked to in the first post tends to deal with fantasy in the extreme and hatred.

Usually best not to take any notice of it, I believe.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 07:42 (Ref:1426092)   #24
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, going back to the grid count...

I think that in '06 the grid will stay at 18, but in a few marquee races we will see an increase to 20 (such as Mexico City, Surfers Paradise, etc.). Because the new chassis will be out in '07, why would a team invest in a chassis, only to have it replaced within one year.

Parabolica may have a point with learning on the current chassis, but financially it is still expensive. Better to wait and then invest in brand new cars.
Old 8 Oct 2005, 02:35 (Ref:1426934)   #25
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought I read Tag just signed a three year contract with Team Aussie recently.