Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 25 Jan 2011, 21:15 (Ref:2820543)   #51
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Going to be a rag and stick merchant again
Old 25 Jan 2011, 22:11 (Ref:2820574)   #52
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
buttons too complex then?
heh hehe
Old 25 Jan 2011, 23:30 (Ref:2820609)   #53
Jacko
Rookie

England
Frimley, Surrey
Jacko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fi_watts View Post
I will do. Who am I passing on regards from?
Jack Walker
Old 26 Jan 2011, 10:30 (Ref:2820743)   #54
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having upgraded to track is one of the criteria for selection. There shouldn't be any trainees. The MSA bods do spot-check on new applicants I understand, though as applications go in through clubs it's really up to them to make sure that trainees are listed as such.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 11:12 (Ref:2820766)   #55
uncle tom
Racer

Wales
Holywell
uncle tom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HOLDEN RT i"m in, pity my mate fred will not be with me

I'm sure he will there in sprirt and we will toast him with some. I will speak to you about an idea some time soon.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 11:45 (Ref:2820789)   #56
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
Having upgraded to track is one of the criteria for selection. There shouldn't be any trainees. The MSA bods do spot-check on new applicants I understand, though as applications go in through clubs it's really up to them to make sure that trainees are listed as such.
in which case IF there are trainees in to to the GP then the process doesn't work as it should - ie the MSA says no applications from trainees and all applications go via a club for prior-review and hence should block any applications from trainees from reaching the MSA
Old 26 Jan 2011, 15:20 (Ref:2820884)   #57
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhall View Post
Seems mad to me that marshals officially graded as trainees are being accepted for the GP, when others who have upgraded have not been accepted due to not doing enough days at the grade applied for. Sounds like organised chaos!
Not sure that naming names in the forum is appropriate, but if you know of any who slipped through then I suggest naming them privately to the MSA and / or Chris Hobson? Not clear from your note whether these folk declared themselves to be trainee and still got in, or declared an unearned grade?

I would not be happy to work anywhere with any marshal who lied to gain admission. When marshalling, we rely on each other in so many ways - maybe they also lie about having had fire training or any other aspect of experience. Trust is black & white - no room for shades of grey.

Careful scrutiny of the application form shows that you need to state your current grade(s) and have marshalled at least 12 days in your nominated duty. It doesn't actually demand that all of those days have to be at the grade you have reached when signing the form. I'm sure that in previous years, folk who have graded up from trainee during the year have been considered to meet these requirements.

As for the "not enough days at the duty applied for" situation, it has been mentioned in previous years that a PC who only wanted to work at Incident duty for the GP needed 12 days incident duties - presumably to prove that they were still skilled with a broom as well as their usual clip-board.

As ever, I'd be fascinated to find out what the numbers were like this year - particularly whether the Incident duty was the only over-subscribed group again?

This is still one of the few events on my doorstep that I avoid (too old for that camping malarkey), so I've no axe to grind. Best wishes to all who got in.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 16:45 (Ref:2820914)   #58
Doblo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norfolk
Doblo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All, day 3 no letter yet does this mean bad news? do I get a 'no' letter can someone tell me please getting desperate to find out.....
if it is bad news how do I go about applying to be a spectator marshal? so I can still be part of the circus, failing that anyone got a spare ticket!!!!
lots to say in a small space but sure someone can help,
thanks in advance.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2820932)   #59
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblo View Post
Hi All, day 3 no letter yet does this mean bad news? do I get a 'no' letter can someone tell me please getting desperate to find out..... ...
If you've not been accepted you get a thanks but no thanks letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhall
Seems mad to me that marshals officially graded as trainees are being accepted for the GP, when others who have upgraded have not been accepted due to not doing enough days at the grade applied for. Sounds like organised chaos!
Well i upgraded at the end of one season and was accepted for the grand prix in the following season which i personally think is fair does.

Last edited by mattt; 26 Jan 2011 at 17:55.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 17:47 (Ref:2820943)   #60
Matt_Ring
Rookie

United Kingdom
Epsom
Matt_Ring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in, first time for me. Can't wait!
Old 26 Jan 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2820977)   #61
AndyT
Racer

England
Peterborough
AndyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got my email notification they my confirmation had been received. Using new tech saves waiting for the postman
Old 27 Jan 2011, 09:17 (Ref:2821249)   #62
blueoval2
Racer

England
blueoval2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have put my name down for the Thursday afternoon FIA systems check can anyone tell what that involves?
Old 27 Jan 2011, 09:44 (Ref:2821259)   #63
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval2 View Post
I have put my name down for the Thursday afternoon FIA systems check can anyone tell what that involves?
As far as marshals are involved it's just a safety car test to check that all the systems are working (lights, radios, cameras, flags etc).
Old 27 Jan 2011, 13:19 (Ref:2821350)   #64
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got my "thanks but no thanks" letter which I'd expected after being ill in the middle of last season & struggling to do many days on the bank. Good luck to those who've been selected, hopefully see you all next year.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2821443)   #65
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in (flag)
Old 27 Jan 2011, 20:21 (Ref:2821455)   #66
lucky scarf
Rookie

Wales
Kinmel Bay
lucky scarf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had my "thanks, but no thanks" letter through today.

Hope everyone selected, particularly all the first timers, have a great and safe weekend.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 20:56 (Ref:2821468)   #67
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval2 View Post
It involves listening to the arguments between the guys driving the minibuses, and the security guys over weither the 'all areas' passes in the minibus' actually let them go where they are going.

An FIA briefing on the light boxes, and the 3 buttons your allowed to press.

Then a trip out to a post for a couple of hours, while the safety car and medical put in some familiarization laps. and Race control check the lights systems - ie that the boxes are talking to race control when you hit the light button, and that the boxes respond to Race Control commands.
Your also there, just in case, the SC or MC get it wrong and stuff it.

All in all, I found it quite a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 21:20 (Ref:2821474)   #68
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Summerisle View Post
It involves listening to the arguments between the guys driving the minibuses, and the security guys over weither the 'all areas' passes in the minibus' actually let them go where they are going.

An FIA briefing on the light boxes, and the 3 buttons your allowed to press.

Then a trip out to a post for a couple of hours, while the safety car and medical put in some familiarization laps. and Race control check the lights systems - ie that the boxes are talking to race control when you hit the light button, and that the boxes respond to Race Control commands.
Your also there, just in case, the SC or MC get it wrong and stuff it.

All in all, I found it quite a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.
I learnt the ins and outs of being a GP camera "person" from a guy who was, initially a sleep in a hammock, tied to the post I was designated.
Old 28 Jan 2011, 09:05 (Ref:2821658)   #69
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally got mine yesterday and am in. Apparently my writing still needs work as it went to number 20, rather number 40. Doh!
Old 28 Jan 2011, 13:14 (Ref:2821802)   #70
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lol was going to ask if you were going to be on the bank this year Paul. Please to hear that you will be.
Old 28 Jan 2011, 13:25 (Ref:2821807)   #71
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
I learnt the ins and outs of being a GP camera "person" from a guy who was, initially a sleep in a hammock, tied to the post I was designated.
I trust you mean the hammock was tied to the post, not the cameraman? On the other hand, with those types I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 28 Jan 2011, 13:59 (Ref:2821829)   #72
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post
Trust is black & white - no room for shades of grey.
I trust you mate - but when you take off your hat there are many shades of grey..... (You can pick on me later for that!!)
Old 28 Jan 2011, 14:01 (Ref:2821831)   #73
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nina and I are lucky enough to have been selected. I am on the bank and Nina is on Startline.
Old 28 Jan 2011, 23:04 (Ref:2822072)   #74
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Received e mail confirmation, looking forward to some good meetings in the run up
Old 29 Jan 2011, 17:06 (Ref:2822340)   #75
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible-Tones View Post
I trust you mate - but when you take off your hat there are many shades of grey..... (You can pick on me later for that!!)