Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Closed Thread

Old 17 Dec 2014, 17:31 (Ref:3485794)   #26
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
In other news, my office is upstairs from a major research effort into hydrogen fuel cell technology.... their first real commercial public device is a hydrogen fuel-cell phone charger...
Now that is useful......

Not

But don't care.
Old 17 Dec 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3485818)   #27
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No? A power pack in your bag, ready to go any place/time/where?

Seems pretty useful to me. But then I do appear to be accepting of new technology
Old 17 Dec 2014, 19:31 (Ref:3485833)   #28
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits! View Post
Hard, but true

OT[ish] can anyone give me a rational explanation why Electric cars are so "Planet Friendly"?

They need to be recharged, so one 'assumes' they are plugged into the mains to use the electricity from the grid, and where does that come from?

And don't start me on their energy cells, un-recyclable, into land fill for 1000's of years

Now, if someone produced a Hydrogen race-car I might be interested

over
Two major advantages of electric cars that are often overlooked

1. they effectively run on any energy source available; nuclear fission, nuclear fusion, wind, photo voltaic, hydro power, tidal, whatever we can hook up to the grid can run our cars as and when these technologies become available without changing the cars themselves.

2. To the extent that they do ultimately run on fossil fuels at least the combustion products are not dumped into the air at ground level and almost entirely in city centres and along motorways.
Old 17 Dec 2014, 21:56 (Ref:3485882)   #29
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
a hydrogen motorbike...
Now that I would pay to see. A very brave man who sits astride that.

I don't have any gripe with electric racing, I'm sure there will be plenty of it in the future. However, having seen the tv coverage, I'm fairly sure Formula E isn't it. Hard to work out what's wrong but something is.

I don't like the idea of the car switch. I'd rather they ran a two race format with the cars recharged in between. But I think something that's as innovative as electric racing needs a car which is less ordinary.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 09:13 (Ref:3485991)   #30
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
... whatever we can hook up to the grid can run our cars as and when these technologies become available without changing the cars themselves.
I can see confusion when marshals are asked about the 'grid'
Old 18 Dec 2014, 10:37 (Ref:3486007)   #31
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Now that I would pay to see. A very brave man who sits astride that.
Here y'are (and a bit of one of the aformentioned taxis):

Old 18 Dec 2014, 13:16 (Ref:3486044)   #32
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pleased to see it's maintaining the alternative fuel ethos of 'It must be ugly'
Old 18 Dec 2014, 16:07 (Ref:3486101)   #33
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No? A power pack in your bag, ready to go any place/time/where? Seems pretty useful to me. But then I do appear to be accepting of new technology
I too accept new technology, but how do you recharge it?

Oh yes, silly me, you drive to your local Hydrogen filling station.

p.s. aren't there solar powered phone rechargers? Stick one on the office windowsill, on the car dashboard, sorted - and it misses out the middleman

I'm all for innovation, but sometimes KISS must prevail

But don't care.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 18:59 (Ref:3486156)   #34
rob wheeler
Rookie

rob wheeler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I for one am looking forward to the race, but then again i've worked on electrical systems for over a decade and am studying electrical engineering as a mature(ish) part time student and I can see there being a relevance for the technology once it is developed and proven.

as for H2 cells the company I work for has a contract supplying several companies with H2 including all of a scottish cities bus fleet and from the amount of business being done it wouldn't suprise me if H2 filling areas start cropping up at fuel stations, they already have zoned areas so it's not that big a leap to make
Old 18 Dec 2014, 22:02 (Ref:3486233)   #35
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my doubtless terribly old-fashioned mind racing cars are supposed to be fast and loud. At a pinch I'll take one out of two but if you can't manage either then I'm simply not interested.

Electric racing may be the future but I'm old enough now that it's almost certainly not MY future. And that suits me .

Steve
Old 18 Dec 2014, 22:08 (Ref:3486234)   #36
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstick View Post
In my doubtless terribly old-fashioned mind racing cars are supposed to be fast and loud. At a pinch I'll take one out of two but if you can't manage either then I'm simply not interested.

Electric racing may be the future but I'm old enough now that it's almost certainly not MY future. And that suits me .

Steve
1/ You're not old
2/ Yes they are

2/ They are not the future
3/ Not even mine [which is shorter than some]
4/ And me

bring back V12's to F1

But don't care.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 22:46 (Ref:3486241)   #37
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring back F5000

Bladders...
Old 19 Dec 2014, 08:59 (Ref:3486361)   #38
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Deffo,
F5000 rules ok
Old 19 Dec 2014, 09:36 (Ref:3486373)   #39
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the trouble with electric cars is when the race is over you have to go ohm!!
Old 19 Dec 2014, 10:07 (Ref:3486382)   #40
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
I love the smell of battery acid in the morning.......
Old 19 Dec 2014, 11:07 (Ref:3486393)   #41
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I prefer Methanol or even better still the stuff the German Touring cars used when they came to Silverstone that time.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 11:11 (Ref:3486394)   #42
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
Or Castrol R......
Old 19 Dec 2014, 11:12 (Ref:3486396)   #43
mark25787
Rookie

Wales
Mold, North Wales
mark25787 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive View Post
the trouble with electric cars is when the race is over you have to go ohm!!
Plenty of resistance to the current wave of electric cars I'm hearing!
Old 19 Dec 2014, 20:09 (Ref:3486520)   #44
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark25787 View Post
Plenty of resistance to the current wave of electric cars I'm hearing!
Reminds me of my reaction when the series was announced: "Watt?"
Old 19 Dec 2014, 22:05 (Ref:3486543)   #45
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I blame Bernie, it's his volt!!
Old 20 Dec 2014, 11:06 (Ref:3486671)   #46
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive View Post
I blame Bernie, it's his volt!!
Oh please! This forum is not the place for a battery of puns.
Old 20 Dec 2014, 17:38 (Ref:3486731)   #47
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
I hope you didn't charge for that.
Old 20 Dec 2014, 19:03 (Ref:3486746)   #48
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
Oh please! This forum is not the place for a battery of puns.
Wire ever not?

But don't care.
Old 20 Dec 2014, 20:03 (Ref:3486750)   #49
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits! View Post
Wire ever not?
So many puns in this thread, I can't take any more right now so I'm going to take a brake to regenerate.
Old 20 Dec 2014, 20:59 (Ref:3486760)   #50
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
It just struck me that