Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 21 Jun 2004, 15:02 (Ref:1010852)   #76
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
the food and drink inside the circit is was I call a ripoff.
I think the same can be said from any event, from pop concerts to sports events. A captive market is never good for freedom of choice or value for money.

The ACO have made a some efforts in recent years to tart the place up a bit, new grandstands, tarmac is slowly replacing dust in some places and the loos are far far better than 10 years ago.

The loos in the Houx annexe where for the most part clean and tidy, & I never felt I had to pay for anything other than a shower.

Quote:
The biggest surprise was having to pay for food in the media centre. However again, we had access to hospitality and didn't buy anything but late night coffee. 2.40 a cup! $4.22 Canadian
Why should the press be treated differently to the 'mere mortals' who have to suffer the high prices for trackside food & drinks.

Last edited by Nordic; 21 Jun 2004 at 15:06.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 15:41 (Ref:1010913)   #77
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Why should the press be treated differently to the 'mere mortals' who have to suffer the high prices for trackside food & drinks.
From the spectators, they get the money they leave at the track. From the journos, they get something else: publicity. Other tracks/organisers feed the journos (we are not talking about Veuve Cliquot and lobster, just a warm meal, or some sandwiches, something to keep them going for the whole day). I spent about 48hrs in the press room at the Nürburgring, and I was grateful for the meals they provided.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 16:07 (Ref:1010950)   #78
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by dreamer182
the food and drink inside the circit is was I call a ripoff.
Personally I don't thing the food and drink in the circuit was badly priced.I bought a few beers from the bars within the track over the weekend and they where only 4 Euro's which is about £2.40, which is only what you would pay in the pub back home.

I also had a couple of hot dogs to and I think they where 3.60 which is only about £2.20 which again I do think is too bad, expect to pay at least £3.50 for a hot dog at Donington on Sunday
Old 21 Jun 2004, 16:39 (Ref:1010999)   #79
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
From the journos, they get something else: publicity
They both need each other, without a race the journos' would have have cover politics, football or some other pointless pursuit.
The aco or whoever, need to keep the journos sweet by feeding them in nice comfy surroundings, while they watch the race on TV moinitiors

Quote:
I bought a few beers from the bars within the track over the weekend
And a few more at the drivers parade I beleive
Old 21 Jun 2004, 16:45 (Ref:1011009)   #80
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
And a few more at the drivers parade I beleive
Well maybe 1 or 2...........
Old 21 Jun 2004, 16:46 (Ref:1011012)   #81
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
for what its worth...as "media" - i bought and ate food at places all around the circuit, including what used to be the michelin press bar...which used to serve free food and drink to the media. i used this a few times and didn't mind paying as it was quite civilised. after carrying a 500mm lens to tertre rouge and back...an empty chair and cup of coffee is always welcome!

hospitality? no time for hospitality...theres a race to photograph!

Last edited by kdr; 21 Jun 2004 at 16:54.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 17:07 (Ref:1011052)   #82
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I have been going to LeMans since the early 80's and to me the camping, the food, the drink and the toilets are all part of the experience.

Over the years the facilities have steadily improved, but if they were to upgrade the facilities to the standard of many modern GP tracks then a lot of the atmosphere would be lost. Part of it is the feeling that you are in it for the long haul alongside the teams and drivers, it is to me why at LeMans there seems to be such a connection between the fans and the teams - more than at any other form of international racing I have experienced - most of them are enthusiasts the same as us, who happen to do that as a job!

I dont find the food and drink inside the circuit expensive or poor when compared to other racing circuits or sports events. Indeed this year I went to the Bahrain GP which is in theory the most up to date facility in the world and the catering was appalling.

It is nice to see gradual improvements but on the whole they should leave well alone what to me the is greatest motorsport event in the world.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 17:15 (Ref:1011058)   #83
pounetbf
Racer

pounetbf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this year was my 30th 24h du Mans...
What I have read about the inefficiency of ACO, I have already heard it 30 years ago (do you remember the Tic-Tac De Cadenet with the british flag wing ?). By experience, it is frequent to joke between the controlers, marshalls and all thoe "small officials" about ACO. Just start a sentence by "as usual with ACO..." and you will get a smile !

But managing such a big event is certainly not easy. And year after year I see improvements. there is still a lot to do, but you cannot get from a temporary camping for 100 000 person what you get from a permanent camping for 1000 person
BTW, there are no more called "camping" since many years, as to stay within the french law about camping they should spend a huge amont of money in equipment, just for a few nights per year. it is better to spend this money for safety on the track.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 17:24 (Ref:1011072)   #84
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
About food, I usually bring a coolbox with sandwiches, apples, water, beers (and wines for meetings), and a thermos full of hot coffee. Of course, you need to come by car.
It's cheaper than buying food, but I always enjoy a merguez-frites behind the grandstands or two croissants at Arnage as the first lights of the day are coming...
Old 21 Jun 2004, 17:31 (Ref:1011078)   #85
bgeorge104
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
bgeorge104 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Tarrant
It most certainly is!!!!! That's a bit of a first finding myself in the picture!

Steve
Sorry Steve
Old 22 Jun 2004, 01:07 (Ref:1011572)   #86
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beware what you drink

Quote:
Originally posted by PascaLM
About food, I usually bring a coolbox with sandwiches, apples, water, beers (and wines for meetings), and a thermos full of hot coffee. Of course, you need to come by car.
It's cheaper than buying food, but I always enjoy a merguez-frites behind the grandstands or two croissants at Arnage as the first lights of the day are coming...
What! :confused: No Grand Marnier crêpes?
Old 22 Jun 2004, 08:48 (Ref:1011735)   #87
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Another question (we've 360 days to answer !) :

- do you think that ACO is paying few attention to the public (by arrogance, or just because there's enough people on the spot to make the race the "biggest endurance race" - ACO's opinion, please let's not debate on this)

or

- do you think that ACO BELIEVES that it pays enough attention, and doesn't really understand what are the contemporay standards for public areas ?

You'd be surprised to hear ACO's members opinion on the spot, including people in charge : they're not satisfied by a lot of things (at least media coverage). But the board of Administrators seems to be deaft... On the other side, they realize that the race is in trouble, due to lack of official competitors.

We could conclude that, nowadays, ACO is more concerned by what's happend on the track, and who could come next year, than by the attendance (-5% officialy this year, so around 200 000). They'd like to attrack more french public, but the coverage turned to zero and, as Pescarolo said, averything goes to football and sailing in France (even F1 suffers)...
Old 22 Jun 2004, 10:40 (Ref:1011838)   #88
Wout
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Wout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the ACO's way to attrack public is taking care for a good grid. The more interesting cars the more people come to watch. Partly correct I think.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 11:23 (Ref:1011903)   #89
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes we know how they take care of getting good cars. This year's selection process was a bit of a joke wasn't it.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 11:57 (Ref:1011942)   #90
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
Yes we know how they take care of getting good cars. This year's selection process was a bit of a joke wasn't it.
Yes, we saw that.

My question was on their hability to attract new factories...
Old 22 Jun 2004, 12:27 (Ref:1011994)   #91
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know about anyone else, but getting away afterwards by coach or car is somewhat better and faster than some other circuits I could mention. We were enjoying sandwiches outside Chartres within an hour and a half of boarding the coach.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 12:45 (Ref:1012036)   #92
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Yes, we saw that.

Like this??
Doubtful.
Old 22 Jun 2004, 13:00 (Ref:1012054)   #93
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by iucrmh
Don't know about anyone else, but getting away afterwards by coach or car is somewhat better and faster than some other circuits I could mention. We were enjoying sandwiches outside Chartres within an hour and a half of boarding the coach.

I've never had any trouble getting away from the circuit. Compare that to the 6-hour queues at Silverstone in years gone by.........
Old 22 Jun 2004, 15:42 (Ref:1012233)   #94
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Like this?? Doubtful.
Optimistic, he ,

Or do I have to understand that your support goes to other races ? nothing wrong about that, BTW
Old 22 Jun 2004, 16:21 (Ref:1012277)   #95
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Optimistic, he ,
Always.

Quote:
Or do I have to understand that your support goes to other races ? nothing wrong about that, BTW
You don't seriously think I want to see Le Mans fail? And lose whatever importance it still has? It would be the end of this sport in Europe.

But I fear it will happen if changes are not made. These aren't the '70s anymore, LM isn't as important in the world of motor racing as it used to be. Why noone tries to change this is something I do not understand.

Never mind the lavatories and the food in the press room. The constant tinkering with the rules; the disregard for the needs of its partner, the ALMS; the self-important "invitation" process which obviously does not work - these are the things I am worried about.

Maybe Max & Bernie should be put in charge of the 24 Heures du Mans??
Old 22 Jun 2004, 16:36 (Ref:1012300)   #96
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
Paddy_NL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe Max & Bernie should be put in charge of the 24 Heures du Mans?? [/B]
What? And let some Schumacher-type win it ten times in a row?

Nah, we had a great time as virgins. Even made it onto Radio LeMans

Only another 50 weeks to go!
Attached Thumbnails
rfh.jpg  
Old 22 Jun 2004, 16:50 (Ref:1012320)   #97
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
That would be far to drastic

Its not just the factory teams that are missing, or maybe it goes hand in hand, bit is as brought home to me watching the grp C support race this year. Compare the sponsors on the cars then and now. We had Rothmans, Martini, Datapost, New Man, Skoal, Shell, Slik Cut, Castrol, Bud Light, Prmiagaz all with colourful well branded cars. This year most where silver with only small sponsors stickers and not that many large corporate names.

Quote:
I think they are trying to attract the far east teams back. But what is clearly needed are a Standard worldwide set of rules for both prototypes & GT's

What would the ACO would give to have a couple of GT500 Supuras, NSX's and 350z's on the grid (mind you if they did enter the aco may turn them down!)
Old 23 Jun 2004, 06:11 (Ref:1012880)   #98
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
This is the only place they're not welcomed by the owner

Seriously, even if ACO/24 hours are drawning, they'd prefer to die alone than to call FIA on board

It won't happen ; on the other hand, 24 hours could lose their interrest : at the end, we could fall to a "local race" ; well, regarding the FFSA-GT championship, it won't be so bad for locals ! sorry, joking again.

Good things could come with the new system of entering ; 2004 was a disaster (for the entry list I mean), they may learn the lesson ; we've some goods coming from far east in 2006. For 2005, we'll have the new GTS.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 06:44 (Ref:1012898)   #99
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Think about it though: the Max & Bernie Show is the single most successful motorsports tour on Earth. Alright so you need twelve VIP passes to get to the paddock, alright so you spend half a month's salary on the tickets, but look at them generating tons of money, and worldwide media attention out of what in racing terms is a non-event. Imagine what they could do with the epic drama of a 24 hour race, as opposed to the daytime soap of F1. It could be magic!

...and let the ACO run F1 instead...
Old 23 Jun 2004, 07:05 (Ref:1012908)   #100
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
It could be magic!
Or fake ?

Notice that, in France, the F1 race drag much less attendance than the 24 hours... (almost half less, if I can remember).

Quote:
Think about it though: the Max & Bernie Show is the single most successful motorsports tour on Earth.
I think about it, I think about it... and they still really don't match in the pic ! I almost had a heart attack in the pits during PQs, when Bernard showed me a guy... looking like Max !

ACO's board's lack of diplomacy protect the 24 hours against good... and evil !

I'm afraid we'll have to stand both Janus faces of ACO : independance and independance. When they miss the point (entry list), and when they stand still against FIA (Balestre affair).

Regarding media and money question, I'm not sure I'd be fond of a strictly professionnal serie : what would become of amateurs ?

Last edited by Fab; 23 Jun 2004 at 07:07.