Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Feb 2024, 17:24 (Ref:4194810)   #151
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
On usual, Belgian police and Royal Gendarmerie are not exactly people you'd love to deal with. If they did nothing or few, they must have been following the orders IMO. Easy here to push back hundreds of angry farmers, wait a bit till they get bored, thirsty and frozen to the bones and make promises. If it's not enough, add promises till they go home!
Old 6 Feb 2024, 09:52 (Ref:4195318)   #152
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Meanwhile a little video to start the day https://youtu.be/A_FrDeu7hlE
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Feb 2024, 11:17 (Ref:4195331)   #153
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seeing that partially built hotel complex reminds me that in Benidorm the town hall gave a developer building consent to construct an apartment tower with multiple floors. About a year after work had started, the town hall woke up and realised, long after local residents had, that they had added somewhere in the region of 11 extra floors.

Work was immediately stopped by the authority in charge of monitoring construction, which in the Valencian region happens to be the local police who are actually controlled by the local town halls in the region and the people who should have stopped the building as soon as they started on the extra floors. Being as the building was on the sea front, it's not as though they couldn't see what was going on as they passed by many times a day. Back in the day they were just considered to be a security team for the local mayor but over many years some of their powers were increased, but most locals just think of them as lollipop/parking wardens, however ones that carry sidearms!

After many years passed, the developer had conveniently gone bust, and the town hall had to cough up to demolish the whole building as no other developer wanted to take on the removal of the extra floors and to complete the project.
Old 6 Feb 2024, 19:27 (Ref:4195414)   #154
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Seeing that partially built hotel complex reminds me that in Benidorm the town hall gave a developer building consent to construct an apartment tower with multiple floors. About a year after work had started, the town hall woke up and realised, long after local residents had, that they had added somewhere in the region of 11 extra floors.
Mike. It was built on what we would call "green belt land" and was obviously done with a few "Large backhanders" !! and of course it was built overnight so nobody saw it being built !! It was actually started 20 years ago and halted in 2006
In fact there is another such complex nearer to us at Macenas beach that is even worse an eyesore as it has no infill only the concrete structure and is at the end of this short video that I made 5 years ago. All the buildings/sites shown are still the same today !
https://youtu.be/6MymXPUnnbU

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 6 Feb 2024 at 19:37.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Feb 2024, 19:37 (Ref:4195419)   #155
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I remember some buildings and complexes not finished on the coast. I you wait for some decades they will end up as modern-art deco leftovers.
Old 6 Feb 2024, 20:41 (Ref:4195426)   #156
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gordon, is that the place where Clarkson and the Top Gear team did a bit of filming some years ago, creating a time trial track?

You rightly joke about somewhere being built overnight, but something like that happened a mile or so away from where I lived then, and I overlooked it and watched what they were doing.

The area was part of a preserved nature site, a forest which was a major breeding site for a number of animals and especially Golden Eagles which used to soar in the air around the dip at the back of my house. I used to spend hours watching them searching for prey, mainly rabbits and hares plus a ground dwelling bird which spent most of it's time hopping around.

Anyway, without any permits, of course, the developers started felling swathes of trees until they were stopped by the Guardia Civil who have a Nature Protection unit and had been surveying the area. For a couple of weeks work ceased, however the developers then started coming to the site during the hours of darkness when they knew that the Guardia wouldn't be flying their helicopters.

This link: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...hpqq?entry=ttu shows the new urbanisation that was eventually constructed, called Las Colinas, and the whole area was a dense forest when I first moved into the area. To this day I have never understood how they managed to get away with it, but I suspect it was partly down to the fact that it is a little, or not so little, corner of land that borders on or is part of 3 different local towns' administrations.
Old 7 Feb 2024, 13:44 (Ref:4195551)   #157
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Update on Spring in Bromham.

It's not just Church Hill on the sunny side of the village that features daffodils, we have them open in our garden now around six weeks earlier than they have traditionally flowered. The hedges are starting to show green, and I'm going to have to mow the lawn if only I could find the mower behind MiniMM's pile of MG stuff on my shed.

Winter hasn't been kind to our roads which are the worst I drive on anywhere - and I do 25k+ miles p.a.! In addition one particular corner has a blocked drain and floods regularly, all the way across, deep enough to rip the auxiliary drive belt off a Sprinter (yes, mine). The nearest householder phoned our ever-diligent council who sent out a man. Said man looked at it and put up a flood sign - this was three months ago and nothing has happened. Except that the flood sign was the only village casualty of The Big Storm a few weeks back, and now lies twisted and forlorn in a separate puddle.

The ZR needs a new track rod end for MOT, no doubt a direct result of the Mars-esque roadscape round here. Hopefully I'll get some tax cuts to pay for it! Maybe I'd rather have no tax cuts and not **** my cars? Controversial!

But the good news is racing has started again! And it's half term next week so the kids want to go karting again. We're also moving into bigger workshops soon which will be great.

Happy Spring everyone!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 7 Feb 2024, 14:42 (Ref:4195566)   #158
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
I'm pleased that the weather is clement down sarf, but please spare a thought for us up 'ere with a warning to expect up to a foot of snow tomorrow and more to come on Friday. No expectations for any green shoots for a while yet.
Old 7 Feb 2024, 15:00 (Ref:4195568)   #159
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm pleased that the weather is clement down sarf, but please spare a thought for us up 'ere with a warning to expect up to a foot of snow tomorrow and more to come on Friday. No expectations for any green shoots for a while yet.
I think all our green shoots will soon be disappearing under water - again.

It is just rain, rain rain & more rain here. Many people are still trying to dry out their homes from the floods before the last floods. Total disaster.
Old 7 Feb 2024, 15:52 (Ref:4195573)   #160
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I think all our green shoots will soon be disappearing under water - again.

It is just rain, rain rain & more rain here. Many people are still trying to dry out their homes from the floods before the last floods. Total disaster.

I could make a sarky comment such as 'That's global warming for you', but I won't bother!
Old 7 Feb 2024, 16:07 (Ref:4195578)   #161
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I could make a sarky comment such as 'That's global warming for you', but I won't bother!
Good - no such thing as global warming here.
Old 7 Feb 2024, 16:23 (Ref:4195582)   #162
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This made me chuckle in an "only in Australia would you see this" sort of electric car culture we have.... Actually its a bit of a sad state of affairs. Buy an electric car and save the planet.

https://twitter.com/persephvoice/sta...71728175087802
Old 7 Feb 2024, 16:45 (Ref:4195590)   #163
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
This made me chuckle in an "only in Australia would you see this" sort of electric car culture we have.... Actually its a bit of a sad state of affairs. Buy an electric car and save the planet.

Don't get me started Chris, just don't get me started...
Old 7 Feb 2024, 19:28 (Ref:4195609)   #164
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
May be it's a clean diesel generator of the new generation? Would be intersting to compare the fuel consumption to how many miles an EV can achieve when charged? Is it worth?

As to the stop of ICE production planed for 2035, now we have Stellantis group and Merc, first in rope, sayin' "may be do may be don't, depending on… we'll see… still to be seriously studied… blah, blah, blah".
Old 7 Feb 2024, 20:37 (Ref:4195618)   #165
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
May be it's a clean diesel generator of the new generation? Would be intersting to compare the fuel consumption to how many miles an EV can achieve when charged? Is it worth?

As to the stop of ICE production planed for 2035, now we have Stellantis group and Merc, first in rope, sayin' "may be do may be don't, depending on… we'll see… still to be seriously studied… blah, blah, blah".
Now that the farmers have shot down in flames Brussels net zero nonsense, it is the turn of the motor industry to completely finish it off. From what you say, Stellantis & Merc seem to be following in the wake of Renault, Ford, Polestar & Toyota.

Perhaps it will be worth me living a bit longer after all!
Old 7 Feb 2024, 23:07 (Ref:4195638)   #166
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

You just couldn't make this stuff up could you?

Here's an idea: instead of scrapping all those nasty ICE vehicles, we could all keep one on our driveways, each get a set of heavy duty jump-leads and then we could run the ICE vehicle to charge up our shiny new EVs! Genius!

I'm off out to buy shares in the biggest jump-lead manufacturer!
Old 8 Feb 2024, 07:45 (Ref:4195673)   #167
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

The thing is - by looking at that single charging point alone, you are not appreciating the bigger picture.

Simple maths:

100 refuels of diesel cars means that 100 energy 'cycles' have come from diesel.

99 charges of EVs with renewable energy, in a more urban setting - plus 1 charge of an EV using a diesel generator - means that 1 energy 'cycle' has come from diesel.
Old 8 Feb 2024, 08:02 (Ref:4195677)   #168
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Now you've separated diesel from fossil fuels. Try 100 cycles of an EV from fossil fuels and you have the real picture. Fossil fuels still provide the majority of energy for power stations.
Old 8 Feb 2024, 08:14 (Ref:4195679)   #169
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Fossil fuels still provide the majority of energy for power stations.
Obviously that differs by country - but that statement is not true for the UK (in 2023).

The breakdown for electricity on the grid in 2023 was:

Natural gas (32%)
Coal (1%)
Nuclear (14.2%)
Wind (29.4%)
Biomass (5%)
Solar (4.9%)
Hydro (1.8%)
Storage (1%)
Imports (10.7%)

Assuming all imports were fossil fuels, then that is still only 43.7% of the total.

Old 8 Feb 2024, 08:36 (Ref:4195681)   #170
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
*sigh* Give it a rest, my point remains, you simply discussed diesel and not the entire energy mix. FWIW the current status https://grid.iamkate.com/

Also you do know that both Seimens and Orstedt are canning major wind projects worldwide because they can't make a profit? Likewise Toyota and other major car manufacturers are also cutting EV production. The world's economy just can't afford to pay for the dream of unreliable renewables. Argue as much as you like, reality is starting to bite IMO.

As a previous owner of an EV my experience reflected that of Rowan Atkinson. They are a great driving experience but completely impractical for anything other than a trip to and from the shops. And yes I realise EV disciples will refute this but I bet most of them haven't owned one.

Finally and for the record when a humorous post about EVs lands in this or any other thread, unless the responses are in the spirit of the original post I'll remove them.
Old 8 Feb 2024, 14:45 (Ref:4195750)   #171
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd have an EV in a heartbeat, it's all I need to whip about the village and off to the gym. Alas outside my price range.

But - for business use - it's my smoky ol' diesel vans I'm afraid. Nothing else makes the slightest sense.

In more village news, the flood from the blocked drain has reached the opposite kerb and is starting to cover the pavement. More importantly, my office chair has collapsed and I can now barely reach the desktop to type this. Not sure if that's due to climate change or just because I'm a fat b******. I'm sure that nice Miss Thunberg will advise me.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 8 Feb 2024, 16:01 (Ref:4195756)   #172
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loving the village updates and the furniture demise story, great to have a bit of light humour on such a miserable, wet day. Well done Midgetman
Old 8 Feb 2024, 16:46 (Ref:4195762)   #173
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You're probably leaning 1.5 degrees too far to the right.
Old 8 Feb 2024, 23:48 (Ref:4195810)   #174
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just looking at those figures for wind power generation in Peter's link: when the capability exceeds the current record by a factor of four, we'll have almost enough to fire the flux capacitor in the DeLorean!
Old 9 Feb 2024, 11:12 (Ref:4195862)   #175
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Just looking at those figures for wind power generation in Peter's link: when the capability exceeds the current record by a factor of four, we'll have almost enough to fire the flux capacitor in the DeLorean!
Yes , but the figures in Peters link will be ADJUSTED to show what the agenda wants They cant have unreliables showing how poor they really are l.[ A quick check seems to show that they have already been changed ].

And there is no mention of the thousands of DIESEL generators which run to back up the Wind / Solar when it is not producing hardly anything .
https://www.instituteforenergyresear...wind-turbines/

Or even that GRIDSERVE uses diesel generators for a lot of its EV charging stations .https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...d-ev-charging/

So the real truth will usually be hidden .