Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 19 Oct 2012, 21:33 (Ref:3154552)   #1
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Helsinki International Circuit

Without corner numbers or labels

With corner numbers and labels

Lillhonsk, Finland
Clockwise
Endurance Layout: 3.89 miles
Grand Prix Course: 3.63 miles
Outer Course: 2.79 miles
South Circuit: 2.02 miles

DESCRIPTION

Located just 40 minutes west of Finland's capital, Helsinki, and 20 minutes west of second largest city Espoo, Helsinki International Circuit is a world-class, 3.63-mile Formula 1 Grand Prix Circuit which is also set to host an FIA GT race, GP2 events, and a STCC race. Constructed with the finest facilities and materials available, Helsinki International Circuit will have a hexagonal control tower, modeled after Malmo, Sweden's "Turning Torso" building. A large Hockenheim-like stadium will be featured in the Turn 7.

F1 Layout

Cars will get rolling on a long front straight, past the magnificently constructed paddock areas, grandstands, and control tower. Formula 1 cars will not be braking heavily into turn 1, which can be taken at about 3/4 throttle. Utilizing a large runoff area, the cars will stream into turn 2, where they will charge down a steep downhill slope and hard onto the brakes into turns 3 and 4. A densely forested slope upwards will lead the cars up onto a sort of plateau into turn 5 and a complicated turn 6. Accelerating out of turn 6 will lead cars into turn 7, a high-speed compression turn downwards which will give plenty of excitement in the race. Cars will head up a steep rise into turn 8 and reach the tippy top of the hill at 9, and take the esses at speed, which are basically flat. However, the esses have very steep runoff areas because of the hilly nature of the track. Turn 14 will lead down a gradual hill to a long, sweeping, fast turn #15 which leads to the DRS zone. This part of the track has a slight depression in the middle of the straight, which can unsettle cars. Turn 16 leads into a flat series of "twiddly corners", as Newey calls them, in 17, 18, 19, and 20. The rest of the track is generally flat, with a triple apex turn 25 to finish the lap.

Conclusion

This is my second racetrack I have hand-drawn, and I'm working on a hand-drawn raised relief map. I hope you all like it, and if someone could put this to sketchup, I'd be extremely grateful. It always looks better in Sketchup! To give you an idea of where the track is at in real life, here's the place.

60°07'09.47" N 24°33'50.60" E

Again, positive criticism accepted and wanted!
Old 20 Oct 2012, 12:47 (Ref:3154826)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll take a look at sketch up later, but for your reference sketch up is free, simply import the image and then draw your lines around the left or right hand edge before then using the offset tool to give the track width.

And here you have it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Helsinki 1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	38919 Click image for larger version

Name:	Helsinki 2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	38920

Your values were slightly out, for a constant width track at 15m, the GP circuit as shown measures 6.212km or 3.88m

I've put the .skp file up as well if you want to play with it.
Attached Files
File Type: skp Helsinki.skp (280.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 20 Oct 2012 at 15:54.
Old 20 Oct 2012, 16:40 (Ref:3154907)   #3
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I'll take a look at sketch up later, but for your reference sketch up is free, simply import the image and then draw your lines around the left or right hand edge before then using the offset tool to give the track width.

And here you have it...

Attachment 38919 Attachment 38920

Your values were slightly out, for a constant width track at 15m, the GP circuit as shown measures 6.212km or 3.88m

I've put the .skp file up as well if you want to play with it.
Thank you very much! I'm no genius at Sketchup, and I've tried it over and over again. I'm not worth a bleeping bleep at it.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3159471)   #4
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Located just 40 minutes west of Finland's capital, Helsinki, and 20 minutes west of second largest city Espoo, Helsinki International Circuit is a world-class, 3.63-mile Formula 1 Grand Prix Circuit which is also set to host an FIA GT race, GP2 events, and a STCC race. Constructed with the finest facilities and materials available, Helsinki International Circuit will have a hexagonal control tower, modeled after Malmo, Sweden's "Turning Torso" building. A large Hockenheim-like stadium will be featured in the Turn 7.
hopefully sometimes about to happen, but at the moment one is just a dream. I think it would be better to do Helsinki street circuit.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 04:27 (Ref:3159941)   #5
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it, it has a balance of corners, it looks organic yet challenging, it does have one corner I don't agree, too small a radius, its almos a blockage of the flow, I'd change that into a rounder corner or a DA