Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 18 Jan 2012, 19:48 (Ref:3013714)   #101
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
There are still five factory cars on the grid...the chance that one of the HPDs ends up on the podium is still quite marginal, especially since the battle for the lead will most likely not be as fierce as in recent years.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 19:51 (Ref:3013716)   #102
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to give a sort of fierce competition, the only solution is a massive bop and detuning of r18.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 19:55 (Ref:3013718)   #103
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And so ends, one of the greatest rivalries, not only in sports car racing, but in sport generally, ever.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 19:56 (Ref:3013721)   #104
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shocking. Such a shame for the LM24 and WEC. Unless Toyota do something amazing this season will be an Audi whitewash.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 19:58 (Ref:3013722)   #105
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
And so ends, one of the greatest rivalries, not only in sports car racing, but in sport generally, ever.
Yep, I'm pretty sure in 10-20 years people will look back at the past few years (and Le Mans 2011 especially) as one of the greatest things that have ever happened to sport car racing.

I think it just takes a bit of time to truly grasp how amazing this rivalry has been and I very much believe that the people at Audi are honestly sad to see them go. It was always a "frenemy" kind of situation between them.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3013731)   #106
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strike 1 for WEC!

Now that the French factory team is done can we at least go back to 2 air guns a pit stop?
Old 18 Jan 2012, 20:20 (Ref:3013734)   #107
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Yep, I'm pretty sure in 10-20 years people will look back at the past few years (and Le Mans 2011 especially) as one of the greatest things that have ever happened to sport car racing.

I think it just takes a bit of time to truly grasp how amazing this rivalry has been and I very much believe that the people at Audi are honestly sad to see them go. It was always a "frenemy" kind of situation between them.
I would concur entirely.......good post!

Hopefully, Peugeot will be back in 2014, and whilst 2012 appears to be set up for a season of Audi dominance, there is much to look forward to. Honda and Toyota, Porsche will be back, and rumours are rife with regard to other manufacturers looking seriously at ACO regs LMP1 programmes. Sad news, yes, but the future in the top class still looks very bright, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3013737)   #108
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bugger.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 20:53 (Ref:3013744)   #109
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
Strike 1 for WEC!

Now that the French factory team is done can we at least go back to 2 air guns a pit stop?
Have to say it's quite disappointing to see so many revelling in such a blow for sportscar racing, makes you think they are only interested in the ALMS, personally I'd be gutted if the ALMS lost out to GA in the future.

I don't understand posts that talk about French this and French that, Audi dominated Le Mans for years, were the first to turn-up with a diesel, Peugeot have done nothing but good for the sport.

The ALMS' threat is on it's own doorstop from NASCAR and GA, I don't get the obsession with the WEC when 90% of the teams are from Europe, NA has always had the pulling power and finance to support world class sport if the interest is there.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 20:55 (Ref:3013745)   #110
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
I would concur entirely.......good post!

Hopefully, Peugeot will be back in 2014, and whilst 2012 appears to be set up for a season of Audi dominance, there is much to look forward to. Honda and Toyota, Porsche will be back, and rumours are rife with regard to other manufacturers looking seriously at ACO regs LMP1 programmes. Sad news, yes, but the future in the top class still looks very bright, as far as I'm concerned.
Agree - just goes to show that we sometimes never know that we're living in a golden age - although I think everyone recognised that this June was pretty special.

Does this mean we're cast into the wilderness for 2012? Absolutely not - we've still got a fantastic package of races to look forward to, and everything's cyclical. A lot can change between now and 2014.

All that really leaves us is to reflect, and while I didn't always agree 100% with Peugeot's approach to racing, they brought a lot to the last 5 years of sportscar racing. In the light of this hats off to all at Velizy, and best of luck for the future.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 21:07 (Ref:3013753)   #111
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
In MWM Graham wasn't at all confident of seeing the cars in private hands...
Old 18 Jan 2012, 21:21 (Ref:3013757)   #112
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Have to say it's quite disappointing to see so many revelling in such a blow for sportscar racing, makes you think they are only interested in the ALMS, personally I'd be gutted if the ALMS lost out to GA in the future.

I don't understand posts that talk about French this and French that, Audi dominated Le Mans for years, were the first to turn-up with a diesel, Peugeot have done nothing but good for the sport.
Can't agree more, it seems like some of the American fans want to see the FIA/ACO fail at all cost.

Without the "French" there wouldn't even be an ALMS or your precious PLM to begin with.... some peole...
Old 18 Jan 2012, 21:22 (Ref:3013758)   #113
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Can't agree more, it seems like some of the American fans want to see the FIA/ACO fail at all cost.

Without the "French" there wouldn't even be an ALMS or your precious PLM to begin with.... some peole...
Just like some people wish PLM to fail at all cost?

*hides*
Old 18 Jan 2012, 21:27 (Ref:3013760)   #114
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post

The ALMS' threat is on it's own doorstop from NASCAR and GA, I don't get the obsession with the WEC when 90% of the teams are from Europe, NA has always had the pulling power and finance to support world class sport if the interest is there.
You've summarized it yourself. You don't get it... the business side. You didn't get that Peugeot could pull out with all the things they've done this year, nor how X can affect Y. That's cool. At the end of the day we are all fans of this sportscar genre, each with our own takes on things, based on our backgrounds. My background is understanding businesses, through the markets. It is my job to know how various events might affect the future with their competitors, the economy and various other things. It clouds how I look at Sportscars.

I've said to you this is a house of cards.. pull a few cards out, and the whole thing falls apart. Frankly, I wouldn't have guessed at this point such a thing would happen though. We can hope Toyota is a good replacement, that they don't screw this up like they did F1 and the GT ONE. We can hope that Honda will be more than just a supplier of cars to some good privateers, with little real backing or development. We can hope that Porsche actually races in 2014, and that VAG doesn't pull one of them out... We can hope someone else shows interest. At the end of the day though, all we have is hope, and nothing concrete. You look at the WEC as a company you might buy, a stock... and all that you can see, is a hope, and no support of their supply chain, in fact business practices detrimental to their supply chain.

I'm not happy Peugeot is gone. It doesn't do anything for the ALMS. It certainly makes the WEC less compelling this year...assuming there is a way for me to watch it anyway.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 21:36 (Ref:3013763)   #115
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

There is a difference between wishing something will fail, and pointing out the problems with something. I wish that a World Championship could be success, without detracting from the ALMS and the ELMS. I wish it wasn't built on a house of cards. It seems some can't understand that.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 21:50 (Ref:3013768)   #116
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
johndagys John Dagys
I have it under good authority that Peugeot's effort to enter semi-works team is now dead as well. Everything apparently has been axed.

So, no privateer effort either...
Old 18 Jan 2012, 22:08 (Ref:3013775)   #117
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
In MWM Graham wasn't at all confident of seeing the cars in private hands...
Graham is entirely certain that it won't happen!
Old 18 Jan 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3013780)   #118
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Graham is entirely certain that it won't happen!
So your saying that a manufacture will buy them!? . (clinging to every hope! )
Old 18 Jan 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3013781)   #119
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really disappointed. I was thinking about doing my first LM24 this year but this is not good news. The P2s might hold my interest but it's certainly not as compelling now as it was yesterday.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 22:16 (Ref:3013786)   #120
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Terrible news, I really wasn't expecting this to happen, hope to see them back in 2014.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 22:42 (Ref:3013798)   #121
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems from all the last bits of news coming out that Peugeot Corporate axed the project but Peugeot Sport tried to keep something alive until Corporate told them to shut the hell up. Just don't understand how they send the team to Sebring and then this.
From the driver statements it doesn't look like they were on Stand-by, but was there anything internal that was minimally official for them to believe there was a project for 2012? Or perhaps, did the Sport structure believe they'd continue and conveyed that to their members while knowing they had no official confirmation from Corporate?

Just a right mess, this is. Right when we split 2 championships into 3, we get this. Already split and this just escalates the split to a higher level.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 22:44 (Ref:3013800)   #122
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Really disappointed. I was thinking about doing my first LM24 this year but this is not good news. The P2s might hold my interest but it's certainly not as compelling now as it was yesterday.
Go go go, whatever the entry.

When you're there, the reality is that it's just as spectacular every year.

I'd be much more dissapointed about the news myself if I knew I had to watch the race on the TV.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 22:51 (Ref:3013802)   #123
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
It seems from all the last bits of news coming out that Peugeot Corporate axed the project but Peugeot Sport tried to keep something alive until Corporate told them to shut the hell up. Just don't understand how they send the team to Sebring and then this.
From the driver statements it doesn't look like they were on Stand-by, but was there anything internal that was minimally official for them to believe there was a project for 2012? Or perhaps, did the Sport structure believe they'd continue and conveyed that to their members while knowing they had no official confirmation from Corporate?

Just a right mess, this is. Right when we split 2 championships into 3, we get this. Already split and this just escalates the split to a higher level.
They even send out the invitations for the launch event! It seems like the decision to axe 2012 in favor of 2014 was made in a very hectic fashion.

I really hope Peugeot recovers in the next 12 months because if things get worse I fear that nobody from corporate is willing to remember their promise regarding 2014... and that they´re not officially announcing it makes it worse.

Heck, if they would be absolutely sure about their intensions they could have said "Peugeot puts programme on hold until the 2014 season" or something like that... but the way it sounds now, they´re leaving the door open to do absolutely nothing in the future without having to explain themselves.

I'm just terribly sad about all this, I've been an avid supporter of their efforts for five years now... it just feels empty now. I guess I'll root for Toyota from now on, at least they have some of the French charm with Vasselon, de Chaunac etc... and Wurz is a top chap as well.

Let's just hope they'll be competitive very quickly otherwise we will have a bleak season in LMP1.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 23:06 (Ref:3013812)   #124
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't forget Acid that behind the manufacturers we have Rebellion, Strakka, Pescarolo, JRM and Oak. We were always going to have a fun race behind the Manufacturers.
P2 should also be entertaining and the GTs too.
Ya, we lost a lot of the hype but now we won't be stuck watching 3 hour races with only Audis and Peugeots on the screen. We can only Hope as Fogelhund said
And I don't mean Hope Racing because they're actually Hopeless Racing.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 23:07 (Ref:3013814)   #125
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
Terrible news, I really wasn't expecting this to happen, hope to see them back in 2014.

pretty sad news. i bet they sh*at themselves after seeing Toyota's new LMP. either way i think that ACO have seen this coming. hence the fact that the peougeot didnt appear in ACO's Lemans poser