Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 8 Aug 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2266029)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kentucky Is A Sellout

Kentucky Speedway has reported that all 66,089 seats have been sold for this weekend and that 2,000 Standing Room Only seats will go on sale on Saturday at 1 p.m. at their box office.

This will be the largest IRL crowd ever at the facility, topping the 61,000+ crowd that IIRC was in 2004.

Glad I bought my seats in advance....I was thinking about going down there to buy the day of the race, but something told me to go for it two weeks ago.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 8 Aug 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2266137)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
should be a great atmosphere there then which is great - hate seeing empty stands on the oval tracks... have a great time
Old 8 Aug 2008, 23:57 (Ref:2266177)   #3
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it this is the Kentucky thread then

Can some one tell me what happend to the qualifying session?

Looks like they had P1 & P2 then took pole from that, was it rained out??

Indycar site dont say much but there was this saying Dixon on Pole

Quote:
Dixon earned his sixth PEAK Motor Oil Pole Award of the season with a four-lap cumulative time of 1 minute, 37.3293 seconds (218.968 mph average) on the 1.5-mile oval and denied Meira of his first pole start since June 2004. Dixon tied Greg Ray for second all-time with 13 pole starts
http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=12239

Well dont to to Vitor Meira.

Hope you and your boy have a great weekend Tim
Old 9 Aug 2008, 08:02 (Ref:2266232)   #4
Chaos81
Racer

United States
Chaos81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Qualifying ran like normal from what I can tell. What makes you think it might have been rained out?

The qualifying results are in the scoring reports.

http://www1.indycar.com/scoring/2008...ults-quals.pdf
Old 9 Aug 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2266236)   #5
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ta see that now.

Must have jumped on line just at the point that the results were not posted but an article stating Dixon Meira front row. Thought they took it off combined practice because same Dixon Meira in comined.
Old 9 Aug 2008, 15:02 (Ref:2266375)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
I take it this is the Kentucky thread then

Can some one tell me what happend to the qualifying session?

Looks like they had P1 & P2 then took pole from that, was it rained out??

Indycar site dont say much but there was this saying Dixon on Pole

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=12239

Well dont to to Vitor Meira.

Hope you and your boy have a great weekend Tim

My son is 23 yrs. old, so we'll be quaffing a few brews as we tailgate...the only downside at Kentucky is that they don't let you bring in coolers or anything except bottled water, and those can't even have the seal broken on them.

Old 9 Aug 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2266454)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stampede of epic proportions for seats at Kentucky

Today at Kentucky Speedway, riot police were called in to control the massive crowd eager to see the irl

Old 10 Aug 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2266758)   #8
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
unlucky Helio, Dixon did well and probably deserved the win. Shout out to Meira, who i thought might win at one point

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 11 Aug 2008, 06:36 (Ref:2267109)   #9
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
good drive by ed carpenter too...
Old 11 Aug 2008, 13:36 (Ref:2267288)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
As noted above, I was there.

Grandstand 8 had some empty seats, but the rest of the place was very full, including my grandstand (3) just past the finish line, which did not have a single empty seat

The parking lots were packed.

Good crowd, but not full capacity. Must have been some corporate buys where people didn't use the tickets.

Old 11 Aug 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2267402)   #11
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looked really busy on TV, compared to other events IRL events anyway

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 12 Aug 2008, 00:27 (Ref:2267559)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
As noted above, I was there.

Grandstand 8 had some empty seats, but the rest of the place was very full, including my grandstand (3) just past the finish line, which did not have a single empty seat

The parking lots were packed.

Good crowd, but not full capacity. Must have been some corporate buys where people didn't use the tickets.

Must have been a lot of corporate buys that didn't use their tickets. Trainloads and Planeloads of em.

The tv rating is down to .43 from only .8 two years ago. Nearly cut in half! What has happened?
Old 13 Aug 2008, 02:12 (Ref:2268194)   #13
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah that sell out nonsense was utter P.R. verbal diarrhea. I subscribe to Robin Miller's theory revolving around Bruton Smith being on site with his checkbook... I guess we make our own conclusions there. On the IMS Radio broadcast they said "a late arriving crowd" as the race was about to go green. I guess Mike King et al bought into the sell out nonsense and they were all legitimately confused to see such a lack of butts-in-seats at the start of the race.

As far as the race was concerned, utterly brilliant display of open-wheel racing. I was deflated when Helio couldn't pull off the win, I barely pulled my head back level with the screen to see him get out of his car with a smile and a few shrugs and giggles. With actions like these he continues down the road to become my favorite driver in the series. If he could just fit a win or two in a thirty race stretch...

Chris
Old 15 Aug 2008, 08:44 (Ref:2269480)   #14
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
One of the fan photos off Indycar site