Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 9 Jan 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1498021)   #51
retro_msport
Racer

England
Harlow
retro_msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Yeah, dont put yer toe in too hard half way round a bend or you will be off
depends on the lag.... big turbo, hit the loud pedal as soon as your off the brake pedal ..
Old 9 Jan 2006, 19:41 (Ref:1498050)   #52
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tis a Garrett T3 one on full MSD engine management and injection. Dyno sheet shows 252 BHP out of a little 1.6CVH! gulp! in a car weighing 700kg?!
Old 9 Jan 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1498056)   #53
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That reminds me of an interview with ...erm, Al Unser Jr? When asked what turbo lag was about he said something like the following:

When you press the pedal the first thing that happens is nothing. The next thing that happens is everything. You just need to make sure that when everything happens at the back, nothing is happening at the front.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1498099)   #54
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
T3 on a 1600, surely that will mean big big lag, no?
Old 9 Jan 2006, 21:46 (Ref:1498139)   #55
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And shares in Hepolite/Omega/Cosworth/Mahle (and other piston manufacturers!)???

Best of luck.

Nice knowing you.

Rob.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 23:37 (Ref:1498226)   #56
retro_msport
Racer

England
Harlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
That reminds me of an interview with ...erm, Al Unser Jr? When asked what turbo lag was about he said something like the following:

When you press the pedal the first thing that happens is nothing. The next thing that happens is everything. You just need to make sure that when everything happens at the back, nothing is happening at the front.
Sounds a bit like Soper when talking about the Rs500's

classic quote though
Old 10 Jan 2006, 00:00 (Ref:1498239)   #57
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_msport
Sounds a bit like Soper when talking about the Rs500's
He had lots of those. I remember one about "It's so scary when they work I almost prefer it when they blow up" or something similar.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 09:02 (Ref:1498402)   #58
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I don't know Flatout but I have seen these high output turbos break so many club racers wallets and hearts, I wish you the best of luck with that one and look forward to seeing it out there. That power to weght ratio is up there with my black 5.8 litre Camaro! I remember years ago I was on the verge of preparing a Merkur (XR4Ti) for ModProds and was talking to HT Racing and Roland reconned keep the thing (2.4 American Pinto) below 300bhp and we could have a reliable winning combo, start cranking up and she will start breaking. The factory pre-Cosworth Merkurs got 500bhp plus out of those things but they were a one race only engine as I read it!
Old 10 Jan 2006, 10:16 (Ref:1498445)   #59
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Out Farr
Watch out for my first experience with a Turbo-Charged engine. Any tips Graham?
yeah drive it like its a cammy engine, if you keep the revs up it wont lag and its much easier to drive, highish revs and little thottle are much much easier to control than the other way round

basically thats what caused me to write my 2002 off, i was being too cautious, and let the revs drop too low, i gave a bit of throttle and it picked up steadily, trouble was a split second later the power had quadrupled and i was spinning off the circuit.

and particulary whilst on cold tyres, put your foot in and then immediatly back it off a bit, Kris waite once spun immediatly in front of me on the green flag lap by not getting out of it quick enough, he was lucky when i did it i lost the car.

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 10 Jan 2006, 10:18 (Ref:1498448)   #60
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
T3 on a 1600, surely that will mean big big lag, no?
it shouldn't Al, particulary if the cars geared right and so the turbo stays spinning, although with driving as per my last post

Old 10 Jan 2006, 10:24 (Ref:1498458)   #61
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Out Farr
Tis a Garrett T3 one on full MSD engine management and injection. Dyno sheet shows 252 BHP out of a little 1.6CVH! gulp! in a car weighing 700kg?!
it will be fine, i just hope you've got plenty of gearboxes lined up!

i had to rebuild AW64's gearbox as his is 200bhp and 165 odd lbft torque are a bit too much for that BC gearbox and he stripped all the teeth of f the crownwheel

Old 10 Jan 2006, 10:28 (Ref:1498462)   #62
retro_msport
Racer

England
Harlow
A quote from the driver ..............

Martinlabatts wrote
"i have signed up for brit cars, and will be doing the eight rounds including the 5hr race at snetterton.

but hope to do some rounds of the southern track ect as well. where possible.

should be fun as it has done 47 Sec Round Brands Indy

Snetterton is slower with the long straight @ 1.12 Sec

All I have to do now is learn to drive it."

Old 10 Jan 2006, 10:31 (Ref:1498468)   #63
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
Quote:
I don't know Flatout but I have seen these high output turbos break so many club racers wallets and hearts,
done sensably turbos can be cheap, my 350bhp turbo engine cost a tiny fraction of what it cost to screw to gether a reliable 210bhp 8,200rpm non turbo lump, and the main reason for that is revs, the turbo only needed about 5,800 max, so mechanically it wasn't stressed and if the cooling/fueling etc is upto scratch and the boost is kept sane theres no reason to melt anything.

Old 10 Jan 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1498615)   #64
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Trc

My engine has a 285 Piper turbo cam in(max revs 6500 ish) and has been built with Mahle pistons, steel rods etc. It has a full 5-speed Quaife box, and ran in the Fast Ford series for 3 years, prior to me getting my mucky mitts on it! I will take on board what you expert guys have said and try not to be an accident waiting to happen! See you all at the Thistle hotel on the 21st!
Old 10 Jan 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1498636)   #65
Mad Dog
Rookie

England
Ashford Kent
Mad Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard brent
Hey Mad Dog, are you going to run in class E this year ???? Anyone else out there going to confirm what class they are going to run in?????
Happy New Year to you all!!!!
Is "Jason flash in the pan Watkins" going to race more than 3 times???????
Hi All,The Minis will be staying in the same class as I can not stretch the engines to a bigger capacity.However we are undergoing a highly technical weight saving scheme that involves the driver not eating chocolate in the middle of the night.Mind you the KAD 16v head is nice ????
Old 10 Jan 2006, 14:30 (Ref:1498643)   #66
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
grichie87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going to put Steve Broughton's kids through University single handed. !6v Ecotec here we come. 240bhp+Nova= fun
Old 10 Jan 2006, 14:34 (Ref:1498648)   #67
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
[QUOTE=Flat Out Farr]My engine has a 285 Piper turbo cam in(max revs 6500 ish) and has been built with Mahle pistons, steel rods etc. It has a full 5-speed Quaife box, and ran in the Fast Ford series for 3 years, prior to me getting my mucky mitts on it! I will take on board what you expert guys have said and try not to be an accident waiting to happen! See you all at the Thistle hotel on the 21st![See you there Mate]
Old 10 Jan 2006, 15:27 (Ref:1498680)   #68
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Hey Graham, don't tell me you are meant to be working today and have suffered loss of interest as well? Rumour has it you are paying Mr Ratcliffe to feature your car in every T& RC each month!!
Old 10 Jan 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1498682)   #69
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
I havent seen the TRC yet do you have a copy?
Old 10 Jan 2006, 15:32 (Ref:1498689)   #70
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Yes, and guess who's photo is in the piece on the TRC series? You have been in the press more than Alonso!!
Old 10 Jan 2006, 15:34 (Ref:1498693)   #71
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
Cool, need to get a copy at some point
Old 10 Jan 2006, 15:39 (Ref:1498697)   #72
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
get yer wedge out then and get down to the Newsagents
Old 10 Jan 2006, 15:40 (Ref:1498698)   #73
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
Cant find one that has the mag
Old 10 Jan 2006, 15:56 (Ref:1498704)   #74
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
OK big boy, i will do you a colour photo copy then! I am so good to you!!
Old 10 Jan 2006, 16:54 (Ref:1498742)   #75
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
Nice one mate, all ok at home? how was the holiday in spain