Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 2 Feb 2016, 18:50 (Ref:3610977)   #776
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A more natural reason could that the trees had to be taken down because of age or illness to ensure nobody would get hurt as the race was on.

The most plausible, are that they were in the way of good TV images.
Old 2 Feb 2016, 20:00 (Ref:3611003)   #777
Hedley Verity
Racer

United Kingdom
Hedley Verity should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were felling trees on Tertre Rouge campsite at 8.00am on the Tuesday of raceweek last year, that got a few people out of their tents sharpish
Old 2 Feb 2016, 20:15 (Ref:3611006)   #778
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
La Sarthe/Bugatti Circuit Track and Other Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
A more natural reason could that the trees had to be taken down because of age or illness to ensure nobody would get hurt as the race was on.

The most plausible, are that they were in the way of good TV images.

Pines usually live for a very long time, 100-1000years so I wouldn't say it's age.

In the above photos, they've been looked after very well (crown's lifted).

Id say it's a safety aspect, mainly due to height as an infection or wind could cause damage.

Last edited by YorkshireLad; 2 Feb 2016 at 20:43.
Old 2 Feb 2016, 21:04 (Ref:3611024)   #779
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lovely pics, Ayse.
Old 2 Feb 2016, 22:06 (Ref:3611047)   #780
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree, it is very sad to see the trees go
Old 4 Feb 2016, 18:07 (Ref:3611632)   #781
Michel Vaillant
Racer

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Michel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMichel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In 2005, there was lot of trees on the Village

Le Mans is not Dubaï, La Sarthe is a wooded région, to cut trees is a damage to our heritage

About Arnage, i think campsite and public area belongs to city of Arnage, not ACO. We may publish a common petition to the mayor of this city (and ACO, for Esses, at the same time...) in order to reforest this site after the end of works ?
A pine costs 10 euros, it's not very expensive for a city...

Last edited by Michel Vaillant; 4 Feb 2016 at 18:12.
Old 4 Feb 2016, 18:49 (Ref:3611651)   #782
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel Vaillant View Post
In 2005, there was lot of trees on the Village

Le Mans is not Dubaï, La Sarthe is a wooded région, to cut trees is a damage to our heritage

About Arnage, i think campsite and public area belongs to city of Arnage, not ACO. We may publish a common petition to the mayor of this city (and ACO, for Esses, at the same time...) in order to reforest this site after the end of works ?
A pine costs 10 euros, it's not very expensive for a city...
Here in the US when I was a boy scout we used to go into forested areas and plant trees. Is there any law against planting your own tree in a public area in France? Just thinking that it would be pretty cool if we had a little 10-10ths grove of trees that we planted together!
Old 4 Feb 2016, 19:31 (Ref:3611662)   #783
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Planting new trees has happened out at Tertre Rouge but over the years i have seen loads of trees planted but few survive, either broken down by people, supports nicked and burnt or more often the ACO cuts them down within a few years
Old 4 Feb 2016, 21:04 (Ref:3611681)   #784
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd be happy to donate a 10 Euros towards some new trees. If it was official with the relevant authority maybe it would last?
Old 4 Feb 2016, 21:09 (Ref:3611685)   #785
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why do I have a feeling that this years TenTenths meeting will involve tree planting!?
Old 4 Feb 2016, 22:46 (Ref:3611697)   #786
Michel Vaillant
Racer

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Michel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMichel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Here in the US when I was a boy scout we used to go into forested areas and plant trees. Is there any law against planting your own tree in a public area in France? Just thinking that it would be pretty cool if we had a little 10-10ths grove of trees that we planted together!
Lol why not In my opinion it's not forbidden, because in french law, everything is not forbidden is... allowed To my knowledge, it's not forbidden to plant trees

But it will not very easy, imagine to pass the gates with a spade and a baby pine in a pot...
Old 5 Feb 2016, 00:02 (Ref:3611728)   #787
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As I've said, on the long run the circuit aesthetics and purity are doomed. Doom caused by lust. The first phase of this has already happened by the last few years, and it will get Silverstone "qualities" in ten years time if not sooner. But at least everything else about the race is still great.

And we'll always have unaltered Nordschleife. As long as it gets financed and not thrown to chaos anyway. It will be the last stalwart of great European circuits left almost entirely to it's original intention.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 12:19 (Ref:3613349)   #788
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
'Davidson stressed that it was important that the challenge of the circuit at Le Mans was retained through the on-going safety improvements.

"What I wouldn't want to see is more asphalt run-off there, because we have got to keep the heritage of the place," he said.'

Well said, Ant!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122742
Old 9 Feb 2016, 12:21 (Ref:3613350)   #789
Mike E
Veteran

Le Mans roads to stay closed between 24 Hours practice/qualifying

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122729
Old 9 Feb 2016, 12:28 (Ref:3613351)   #790
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Plus there will have been no end of deforestation at Arnage to put the new road section in...
Old 9 Feb 2016, 15:14 (Ref:3613391)   #791
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
That will be a real pain in the backside for the locals and for us as we usually head out on Thursday for some local sight seeing before returning for the qualy sessions
Old 9 Feb 2016, 16:35 (Ref:3613414)   #792
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Davidson speaks like the true racer he always was. We need more of him in the sport
Old 9 Feb 2016, 16:42 (Ref:3613417)   #793
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Agreed, Simon. That's horrendous news, as it puts enormous pressure on the back roads to the east of the circuit and on villages like Mulsanne and Ruaudin.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 19:20 (Ref:3613465)   #794
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Wanted to add my thoughts to some of the above comments. I agree completely with Davidison about the run-off areas. Of course safety improvements can be made, but what makes Le Mans unique for me is the same basic layout and feel of the place. I went to Silverstone for the first time last year to watch the WEC, great race and facilities but was amazed at how sterile it felt when compared to Le Mans.

Also very surprised about the road closures in the race week. It has always impressed me how quickly they re-open the roads and the last thing I want is for the local people to get more annoyed with the ACO. The race and we spectators are guests in this lovely place and we need to all find a way to get along.

Finally, in response to Chiana and the Nordschleife, it is worth viewing some of the 1960s and early 70s footage on Youtube. It's amazing how areas now surrounded by trees were once virtually bare. Nothing stays the same, but actually some things can get better as well as worse.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 19:25 (Ref:3613467)   #795
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
I actually see this as a good thing!
It means a lot more track action.

I do however fear that this makes it harder to do my planned run of the circuit!
Old 9 Feb 2016, 19:29 (Ref:3613469)   #796
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllonFS View Post
Finally, in response to Chiana and the Nordschleife, it is worth viewing some of the 1960s and early 70s footage on Youtube. It's amazing how areas now surrounded by trees were once virtually bare. Nothing stays the same, but actually some things can get better as well as worse.
Yes, but that's the natural world for ya

I think in places Le Mans looked rather barren and sorry in post-war period too, but quickly flourished by the following decades. Now it's getting to the state of being ripped down again, albeit slowly, due to hand of man. With Nordschleife, the effect seems (mostly) the opposite.

Even just couple of hundreds years ago, even the most populous human settlements and cities were surrounded by vast forests and valleys full of untamed wildlife. Now the forests, the little there are, are surrounded by human creations.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 20:15 (Ref:3613478)   #797
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
La Sarthe/Bugatti Circuit Track and Other Changes

A squirrel could travel from john 'o groats to lands end without touching the ground

Is it open Thursday morning? I'm guessing it's just closed between either part of each evening event.

The worst traffic problem is getting into parking blanc. They only open the top gates for in and out traffic, plus they park disabled badge holders on the entrance which led to a grid lock last year. Was a fecking nightmare!!
Old 10 Feb 2016, 10:25 (Ref:3613605)   #798
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLad View Post
The worst traffic problem is getting into parking blanc. They only open the top gates for in and out traffic, plus they park disabled badge holders on the entrance which led to a grid lock last year. Was a fecking nightmare!!
I had never met a problem with parking blanc since I have tried to arrive at the less busy time (at least two hours before practice or before 8:30 on saturday). Before leaving after the race, I usually sleep one or two hours, duration which allows the evacuation of most cars.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 10:31 (Ref:3613607)   #799
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
2:30am Sunday morning was horrendous! (Least likely time I'd of thought)

Yeah we get there 8ish on Saturday and Sunday morning, it's hard getting out I've found, I don't see why they don't just open the gates to the bottom near bleu.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 10:49 (Ref:3613612)   #800
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLad View Post
2:30am Sunday morning was horrendous! (Least likely time I'd of thought)

Yeah we get there 8ish on Saturday and Sunday morning, it's hard getting out I've found, I don't see why they don't just open the gates to the bottom near bleu.
Oh I see. Coming from Blois (around 100 miles in the south east), I have my own "secret" way. Here it is. I don't take the way from Arnage which is, I know too, very very busy. Notice that I don't even go through Moncé-en-Belin.