Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 15 Oct 2001, 22:32 (Ref:161189)   #1
ingo
Rookie

ingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reims, Rouen, Clermont Ferrand etc.

As you all probably know, these French circuits are, or were, very special. It's a treat to be able to drive around what's left of them but sad too that almost no effort is made locally to commemorate the important place they have in motor racing history. I haven't been to the Charade circuit outside Clermont Ferrand for ten years but I believe there is a "club circuit" in use. Rouen is still glorious but, with the cobbles, pits and grandstands all gone, it's all but forgotten. The grandstands and pits at Reims are evocative but so decrepit that I fear the local council will just demolish them. I wrote to the Mayor of Reims and the local autoclub to see whether they would preserve what's left, even adding a small museum perhaps. No reply!
What do you think? Is it worth trying to save a bit of this great heritage?
Old 16 Oct 2001, 10:14 (Ref:161344)   #2
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Rheims pit complex is one of the most evocative places in motor racing and it would be a disgrace if they were not 'listed' ie protected by the state - let us know
Old 17 Oct 2001, 15:35 (Ref:162021)   #3
Racer.Demon
Rookie

Racer.Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ingo,

I can imagine why the Reims council did not reply to your query. Firstly, the Reims-Gueux track is not on their territory. Secondly, the people in the vicinity of the track couldn't care less.

Deducting from your post you probably missed that there are large construction works going on at Gueux since this summer. When I was there this spring (http://www.racer.demon.nl/6thgear/reims.html) the track (bar the Route Nationale that formed the long straight to Thillois) was already closed off. At the time it made for some welcome quiet visiting moments to the pit complex, as we illegally forced our entry onto the track, driving our car through a very soft shoulder, past the road blocks. Fortunately I have 4WD! Another worrying sight was that the trees lining the track from Muizon to the "jump" from the hill onto the lower part of the Thillois straight were all cut down, with the surrounding area also dug up.

This summer Chris Nixon reported that now the RN was closed off as well, with a detour to the North of the track. Apparently the plan is to "decapitate" the crest of the hill and to build a fly-over for the road leading from Muizon. That would mean that the entire Northwestern part of the "long" track - around Muizon corner - would lose its original looks. To me this looks like a prelude to a complete molestation of everything reminding of a once glorious track.

Alas that seems to be common practice in France, as in Rouen they are also brutally destroying all the old landmarks (see http://www.racer.demon.nl/6thgear/rouen.html). The pit complex has been torn down, the pit area is completely dug up, Nouveau Monde has been asphalted over. And the worst thing is that the awesome back section has been cut off by the Autoroute.

Why can't the French deal with their motorsport heritage like it's done at the Nürburgring? Listed? Don't bet on it.

It's not just the French, though. We all know what happened and is happening to the Monza banking, Avus, Bremgarten, you name it. Not to mention the "modernisation" that has turned tracks like the Österreichring, Zandvoort or even the old Hockenheim into dreary places.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 16:47 (Ref:162067)   #4
ingo
Rookie

ingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks racer-demon - great reports on your website! I read your Rouen write-up some time ago but hadn't realised it was you.

The Reims situation sounds awful. I still intend to have another crack at Reims, perhaps targeted at the Tourist Office. I appreciate your comment about Gueux but, given the size of the public works, it's possible that the Reims Mairie or the Marne Departement in Chalons have an interest. I'll try and persuade the tourist office that it's in their interest to preserve what they can of the cicuit and buildings.

I was lucky. The last time I visited the circuit was in 1999 before all the works. My six year old son couldn't believe he was lapping a whole Grand Prix circuit, although the lorries on the Route Nationale resticted use of the racing line at Muizon and Thillois!

On a brighter note, I might contact Gueux village too as there is some interest there. One fellow cycling past stopped to talk to us and spoke with enthusiasm about the early sixties F1 and 12 hour races- he was a Jackie Stewart fan. Also, in the village at the right hander out of the little "place" as shown in your photo, we met a couple of guys about to take a beatiful Citroen traction-avant for a spin. They were keen and adamant that the tyre marks on the wall opposite were still there from drivers over-cooking it on the way back from the earlier village section back out onto the rural route to Muizon. Unlikely but it made a good story. (By the way, I don't know if you see "Motor Sport" but they issued three fine prints a while ago: Gurney at Spa, Musso at Monaco and Etancelin sliding through Gueux in 1932 - it hasn't changed much!)

We went to Rouen again this year. I'd seen F2 there in 1977, saw the decay take hold in the 1980's and, yes, the disappearance of almost every conceivable track feature is maddening. I love the countryside and understand the ecological argument but there's no reason not to have something kept or erected to acknowledge its past. I'll have a go at the authorities in this area too!
Old 17 Oct 2001, 18:50 (Ref:162142)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hey guys, sadly I've never been to any of the circuits mentioned, but your observations are absolutely fascinating - it makes me want to jump on a ferry pdq to get over there and see what I'm missing before it disappears forever.

I've heard about the atmosphere in the pits complex at Rheims before (and seen photos etc), and it reminds me of the time that I stood as high up as I could get on a section of the remaining banking at Brooklands a few years ago. It's all very romantic, I guess, but if you just shut your eyes and imagine.......

(I must pay your pages a visit, Racer...).

Old 19 Oct 2001, 10:57 (Ref:162818)   #6
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
etc

Now they are threatening to vandalise PAU. According to Autosport a new pits complex and circuit alterations will be needed in order to host FIA GT series.That series has nil public interest,so maybe they can be persuaded to desist and keep it for historic racing like Goodwood?