Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 27 Dec 2010, 22:12 (Ref:2808868)   #351
Grant Coo
Rookie

Grant Coo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/grant/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

Hi There Chap's,
Maybe a little off topic,but I can see your all heavily into your capris,this is a "X" pack capri that I have owned for many years now,you may have seen the same type posting on other sites some time ago,Gregor has helped trying to trace any previous history on the car but unfortunatley to now avail,(thanks again Gregor,hello and hope your books nearly finished now about your late dad Gerry)
This car was used in 1980/81 as a pace car for the BRSCC and driven by Mike Wilds at many of the usual tracks,Brands,Oulton etc, it was originally Fords Press Car for the "X" pack range,the first to be built (mk3) as the test bed and promotional car for the seiries "X" conversions,As you can see it was Silver 3.0S series "X" with all the Mods including triple webers etc,As you can see it was pictured beside one of the Gordon Spice race cars you have all been talking about on this thread which is why I thought I would try this posting here,
I have accumulated alot of history of it in its early days when it was Silver and have plenty of photographic evidence of it from ford etc of these days,autosport magazines,car and car conversions etc,BUT... following those early days it then was loaned to Mike Wilds who also used it as his road car,I cannot find any photographic evidence of these race track days,I have writtten and personally spoken to Mike Wlids with reference to this,but,he has lost any photos of it from those days in various house moves.Although he said it was one of his favorite cars!!
Does anyone have any pics or reconize it from those days,Any Pics would be happily paid for by myself to support its history of those days and the new Ford RS colour's it was painted in.
Im sorry for the chaps that have read postings relating to this before,I dont want to bore those people.
Any info would be so much appreciated
With my best regards
Grant
Attached Thumbnails
?action=view&current=CapriSeriesXCOO260T.jpg  

Last edited by Grant Coo; 27 Dec 2010 at 22:38. Reason: Help Needed
Old 27 Dec 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2808879)   #352
Grant Coo
Rookie

Another Image of its early days being tested my Autocar Magaizine
Best Regards
Grant
Attached Thumbnails
Picture132.jpg  

Last edited by Grant Coo; 27 Dec 2010 at 23:03.
Old 1 Jan 2011, 16:09 (Ref:2809954)   #353
Hermansen
Rookie

Denmark
Hermansen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hej jeg har en orig capri RS3000 farbriksbygget i køln der blev kun lavet 100stk i 1979-80 i england hedder den x-pack.

Mvh Lennart
Attached Thumbnails
capri 001.jpg   capri 002.jpg   capri 005.jpg  

capri 003.jpg   capri 008.jpg   Capri juni 2010 016.jpg  

Old 6 Jan 2011, 21:47 (Ref:2812143)   #354
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
@Hermansen... Your Capri is gorgeous but could you possibly post in English for us ?
Old 7 Jan 2011, 08:54 (Ref:2812321)   #355
Grant Coo
Rookie

yes I 2nd that,looks stunning!!

I've been trying to contact Derek Lawson who wrote the book on history of Oulton
, (one marshal there in the 80's remembers the car and got a lift in it around the track in it) his email address is on 10/tenths and ends with ntlworld.com but the email comes back as undeliverable,i dont think he can recieve pm's if his email address is not in use anymore,does anyone have a current contact email for him, please and thank you chaps.
Regards
Grant
Old 7 Jan 2011, 09:40 (Ref:2812335)   #356
Hermansen
Rookie

Denmark
Hermansen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello I have a Capri 3.0RS original factory built in cologne,which was only made 100 pieces in 1979-80.

Lennart
Old 7 Jan 2011, 10:49 (Ref:2812382)   #357
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Coo View Post
I've been trying to contact Derek Lawson who wrote the book on history of Oulton, (one marshal there in the 80's remembers the car and got a lift in it around the track in it) his email address is on 10/tenths and ends with ntlworld.com but the email comes back as undeliverable,i dont think he can recieve pm's if his email address is not in use anymore,does anyone have a current contact email for him, please and thank you chaps.
Hi Grant, hope you're well. The e-mail address you have I beleive is correct (it's the one I have anyway) but if no luck then try Facebook or let me know and I'll message him on FB. Good luck.
Old 8 Jan 2011, 14:10 (Ref:2812922)   #358
Grant Coo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM View Post
Hi Grant, hope you're well. The e-mail address you have I beleive is correct (it's the one I have anyway) but if no luck then try Facebook or let me know and I'll message him on FB. Good luck.
Brilliant Gregor,thank you,I did that and he contacted me,so hopefully he may have something,Hope all is well for you
With my best Regards
Grant
Old 10 Jan 2011, 17:35 (Ref:2813809)   #359
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a CC Racing road Capri offered for sale at :

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/2376729.htm
Old 10 Jan 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2813922)   #360
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Looks like my mates old car I mentioned earlier, same area as well.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 14:28 (Ref:2814235)   #361
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Looks like my mates old car I mentioned earlier, same area as well.
Is it really a CC car ? Seems too easy to clone.
Old 7 Feb 2011, 22:30 (Ref:2827476)   #362
Finbin
Rookie

England
Ashford
Finbin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

Found a couple of old pictures after digging about in the loft yesterday.

First couple taken by myself at the 1982 Tourist Trophy.
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	31105
Vince Woodman and Jonathan Buncombe with C.C. Racing Developments on the rear wing, finished 7th.

Name:	scan0002.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	31106
Gordon Spice and Andy Rouse, finished 13th.

Name:	scan00021.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	31107
Jeff Allam, front cover of Autosport, don't know what year but would guest 1978 as it is a mk2. Also don't know if it was a CC car.
Old 8 Feb 2011, 03:24 (Ref:2827547)   #363
Capri Carl
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Capri Carl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
I am re-reading the 1984 Bathurst annual by Bill Tuckey and he has a notion of Dave Cook in connection with Lawrie Nelson. It appears that Cook was Nelson's Capri contact in the UK, so likely some CC input in Australia.

Jesper
Spoke to Lawrie Nelson and he confirmed that the suspension came from Dave Cook.
Old 8 Feb 2011, 04:11 (Ref:2827555)   #364
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd be interested to know whether that was the tweaked front end with the parrallel TCA and steering arms. Stiil trying to figure that out btw.
Old 8 Feb 2011, 11:51 (Ref:2827680)   #365
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finbin View Post
Hi

First couple taken by myself at the 1982 Tourist Trophy.
Attachment 31105
Vince Woodman and Jonathan Buncombe with C.C. Racing Developments on the rear wing, finished 7th.
Attachment 31106
Gordon Spice and Andy Rouse, finished 13th.
Attachment 31107
Jeff Allam, front cover of Autosport, don't know what year but would guest 1978 as it is a mk2. Also don't know if it was a CC car.
Finbin, excellent couple of shots of the two mk3 cars.

ORP will be very interested in those!

The white one looks like the car that Woodman used as as a spare in 1981/82 (might even have won in 1981 at Thruxton with it?) and was the car that he wheeled out for Buncombe on ocassions, including the last round of the BTCC in 1982, also held at Silverstone.

The second car is a rare gem of a piccie. That must be the 2.8 injection test hack/muletta that Rouse and Spice entered as a one off? Haven't seen any pics of this car (other than a front end view of it on the front of the 1983 TT programme!). It seems to confirm the rolling chassis used was an ex Belga Spa chassis,

Could it be the car that Jean-Michel Martin ran in the '81 Dubai classic?

Great image for discussion.

Last edited by chunterer; 9 Feb 2011 at 17:58.
Old 8 Feb 2011, 12:07 (Ref:2827695)   #366
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Finbin, excellent couple of shots of the two mk3 cars.

ORP will be very interested in those!

The white one looks like the car that Woodman used as as a spare in 1981/82 (might even have won in 1981 at Thruxton with it?) and was the car that he wheeled out for Buncombe on ocassions, including the last round of the BTCC in 1982, also held at Silverstone.

The scond car is a rare gem of a piccie. That must be the 2.8 injection test hack/muletta that Rouse and Spice entered as a one off? Haven't seen any pics of this car (other than a front end view of it on the front of the 1983 TT programme!). It seems to confirm the rolling chassis used was an ex Belga Spa chassis,

Could it be the car that Jean-Michel Martin ran in the '81 Dubai classic?

Great image for discussion.
Yep, think that's the first pic I've seen of that one- definitely looks like an ex-Belga car
Old 9 Feb 2011, 16:37 (Ref:2828543)   #367
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finbin View Post
Hi

Attachment 31107
Looks like the car my late father shared with Jeff at Spa in '78 but I only have b&w photos of it.
Old 9 Feb 2011, 17:57 (Ref:2828600)   #368
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM View Post
Looks like the car my late father shared with Jeff at Spa in '78 but I only have b&w photos of it.
I was wondering about this car in relation to the BP backed 'Mk3' that Jeff ran later that season and/or in '79?

I think the 3 was one of the early CC built cars but can't recall if it was a rebodied Mk2 and if we covered this back in the thread.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 18:59 (Ref:2829240)   #369
Nick Ellis
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
Nick Ellis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi folks,great to see a rare shot of CC/Spice 2.8i which was as far as i can remember the only Cologne engined Capri ran in europe to Gp1-GpA rules.
The Allam car pictured at Oulton in 1978 was the ex-Stuart Patterson/Phil Dowsett
car from 77.Jeff Allam shared with Patterson in the long distance ETC rounds at
Silverstone and Brands,taking over the car the following season.The Mk11/Mk111
puzzle usually depended on more readily available parts for repairs after accident
damage or simply updating to a more current model to please or attract sponsors.
Allams car carried obvious backing from BP,Allam Motor Services,Ford,Dunlop later
in the year being hot property after winning Brands GP support round.The Mk111
parts were produced in greater numbers after launch in 78,many BSCC drivers updating cars through the season although i suspect not all were new builds,it would be much cheaper to change lights,valance,wings,.Fairly sure the Woodman car was his spare Gp1 car which he adapted to almost GpA for 1982 TT.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 18:34 (Ref:2829771)   #370
Nick Ellis
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
Nick Ellis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Further food for thought;Finbins photo of the Woodman/Buncombe `82 TT car reminded me of Mike Newman,who i am sure aqquired an ex-Woodman Esso team car
which he used during 1983/84 BTCC seasons.The link here is Newmans car was mainly white in colour,also if it was this particular car it was prepared for Gp A long distance events,we know Newman liked to take in the Donington 500 and the Silverstone TT during these years.This Chassis would have long-range fuel tank but more importantly for the privateer was prepared for Gp A with rear discs,other
suspension mods and a restricted Gp A engine,it all seems to fit.The Esso blue/red/white BTCC car Woodman used for `82 season i think went to Brian Chatfield was certainly a Gp 1 car.The Newman chassis would eventually find its way onto national rally stages (Gp A) with the Worswick brothers i think around 1985/86,as this was when Mike Newman had got his hands on a 635csi for BTCC/ETC.Anyone have ideas about CC build numbers on these two?
Of course then there is Alain Semoulin,( 4th at Spa 1983) to consider,ex-Spice/Bastos maybe?
Old 11 Feb 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2829773)   #371
GBRM
Veteran

England
FYI

TRICENTROL CHAMPIONSHIP, ROUND 1, SILVERSTONE 19/05/78:-
"Young Jeff Allam was an impressive fourth quickest in his Capri, this car a 'new' Capri 2 which was built late last year by CC Developments and which will now be updated to Capri 3 spec."
Old 12 Feb 2011, 09:02 (Ref:2829995)   #372
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Ellis View Post
Further food for thought;Finbins photo of the Woodman/Buncombe `82 TT car reminded me of Mike Newman,who i am sure aqquired an ex-Woodman Esso team car
which he used during 1983/84 BTCC seasons.The link here is Newmans car was mainly white in colour,also if it was this particular car it was prepared for Gp A long distance events,we know Newman liked to take in the Donington 500 and the Silverstone TT during these years...........

..........Mike Newman had got his hands on a 635csi for BTCC/ETC.Anyone have ideas about CC build numbers on these two?
Of course then there is Alain Semoulin,( 4th at Spa 1983) to consider,ex-Spice/Bastos maybe?
Interesting theory Nick one that has crossed a few of our minds. I also thought that Mike may have bought one of Andy Rouse's 1981 chassis (the other one went to Hong Kong we think) and Andy did have an ex Woodman car also as a spare which was thought to have been sold to a rally guy as well. More food for thought.

There is a chassis thread in the Chassis archive for the Capris Nick the main info kindly sourced by ORP:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ght=Ford+Capri

Which also briefly touches on the BMW's.........
Old 13 Feb 2011, 05:12 (Ref:2830389)   #373
Capri Carl
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Capri Carl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lawrie Nelson Capri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I'd be interested to know whether that was the tweaked front end with the parrallel TCA and steering arms. Stiil trying to figure that out btw.
Hi Peter, These are some pics of the front and rear suspension, not sure what you mean "tweaked front end" it would be great to see a pic of a CC front suspension to compare.
BTW do you remember I spoke to you on the phone 4 or so years ago when I was in London, I think you were out of the country at time.
Capri Carl

Old 13 Feb 2011, 15:52 (Ref:2830604)   #374
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Ellis View Post
which he used during 1983/84 BTCC seasons.The link here is Newmans car was mainly white in colour,also if it was this particular car it was prepared for Gp A long distance events,we know Newman liked to take in the Donington 500 and the Silverstone TT during these years.This Chassis would have long-range fuel tank but more importantly for the privateer was prepared for Gp A with rear discs,other
suspension mods and a restricted Gp A engine,it all seems to fit.The Esso blue/red/white BTCC car Woodman used for `82 season i think went to Brian Chatfield was certainly a Gp 1 car.The Newman chassis would eventually find its way onto national rally stages (Gp A) with the Worswick brothers i think around 1985/86,as this was when Mike Newman had got his hands on a 635csi for BTCC/ETC.Anyone have ideas about CC build numbers on these two?
Did Mike sell the Capri ? I was under the impression that he kept all his cars from back then and still has them to this day ?
Old 13 Feb 2011, 18:58 (Ref:2830681)   #375
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Did Mike sell the Capri ? I was under the impression that he kept all his cars from back then and still has them to this day ?
Although he does still have his Firenza (which was a rebuild of his Viva GT), his Burlington Wallcoverings BMW 635 and his Listerine RS 500 Sierra, the one car he did sell, (and he wishes he'd hung on to it) was the Capri which Tony Sugden bought.

Tags
andy rouse, belga, belgian touring cars, broadspeed, capri mk3, cc motorsport, cc racing development, chris craft, dave cook, equipe esso, gordon spice, group 1, group 1 capri, group 1.5, jeff allam, jonathan buncombe, martin brothers, neil brown, pete clark, spa 24 hours, swindon engines, tricentrol, vince woodman