Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Jun 2007, 03:49 (Ref:1940449)   #1
billkirbywofb
Rookie

billkirbywofb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Funny Thing Happened To Me At Le Mans

When you have a several day long sporting event like Le Mans, there has to be a number of funny things that happened to the 10/Tenths members who went to the event. So for the enjoyment of those of us who could not make it - what was your funniest story from this years race. (Extra credit given for embarrassing circumstances)
Old 18 Jun 2007, 12:10 (Ref:1940736)   #2
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frenchmen urinating on their bikes to 'prevent rust' . Handlebar grips don't rust, fellas
Old 18 Jun 2007, 12:39 (Ref:1940751)   #3
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe not funny, in fact not funny at all but the number of aggressive drunk Danish fans is increasing year after year and really starting to taint the traditional friendly atmosphere in and around Le Mans, especially after driver's parade and also late night during the race. I have nothing against the use and abuse of alcohol but I am targetting the alcohol driven aggressive behavior here.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 12:55 (Ref:1940759)   #4
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by brielga
Maybe not funny, in fact not funny at all but the number of aggressive drunk Danish fans is increasing year after year and really starting to taint the traditional friendly atmosphere in and around Le Mans, especially after driver's parade and also late night during the race. I have nothing against the use and abuse of alcohol but I am targetting the alcohol driven aggressive behavior here.
I agree, the abuse of alcool can make guys agressive, whatever they are Danish, French, British...
But within 24 times I went to LM (yes, these were my 24th 24H ), I have never seen a fight or big troubles between people.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 13:00 (Ref:1940762)   #5
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That reminds me of a fight I almost saw on Thursday 1st practice!
There was a fellow standing on the stairs (not very polite) at the front of the Dunlop chicane stand. When it started raining he pulled out an enormous umbrella which blocked the view of the people behind him. They proceeded to hurl water from their bottles at him which, unsurprisingly, bounced straight off of his umbrella! He continued to stand there in complete oblivion to what was going on.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 13:03 (Ref:1940764)   #6
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I really like the English who brings each year his small teddybear which is in a small armchair. Does anyone know him ?
All the regulars of the Lagache (ex Michelin) grandstand appreciate this nice fellow.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 13:07 (Ref:1940767)   #7
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
There was a fellow standing on the stairs (not very polite) at the front of the Dunlop chicane stand. When it started raining he pulled out an enormous umbrella which blocked the view of the people behind him. They proceeded to hurl water from their bottles at him which, unsurprisingly, bounced straight off of his umbrella! He continued to stand there in complete oblivion to what was going on.
Yes, sometimes behaviors that disturb the viewing can make people a bit nervous.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 14:18 (Ref:1940805)   #8
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
this thread is going well.

ah well lets see...well i was in the paddock taking pictures of this really cute looking female talking on her mobile phone and so oblivious to me. i'm thinking good job...i'll get away with this without anyone knowing, when over the top of truswell et al on my radio headphones i hear cheering. i look up and theres around 50 people looking over the wall at the end of the new village. so i give thumbs up and gracefully depart. hey she was cute..!
Old 18 Jun 2007, 14:33 (Ref:1940812)   #9
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr
this thread is going well.

ah well lets see...well i was in the paddock taking pictures of this really cute looking female talking on her mobile phone and so oblivious to me. i'm thinking good job...i'll get away with this without anyone knowing, when over the top of truswell et al on my radio headphones i hear cheering. i look up and theres around 50 people looking over the wall at the end of the new village. so i give thumbs up and gracefully depart. hey she was cute..!
And no pictures to share?
Old 18 Jun 2007, 15:15 (Ref:1940822)   #10
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike
And no pictures to share?
i'm sure the good lady wouldn't like her image uploaded for all us lot on TT to view!

i'll tell you what else was really funny down at le mans this year...at one point we were in a hurry to get into the circuit in our car, but as we came up to the checkpoint we found a 55 seater coach in front of us in the queue, and the security man had to go on board and with his little machine scan the tickets/passes of all 55 passengers....man that was funny...
Old 18 Jun 2007, 16:22 (Ref:1940871)   #11
billkirbywofb
Rookie

billkirbywofb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rather than start a new thread, let's expand this a bit by including any funny things that happened to us who had to watch the race by TV or over the net from afar. (Now saying that the funniest thing was running out of Buffalo Hot Wings at 2:15 in the morning is not funny - thats a disaster )
Old 18 Jun 2007, 19:13 (Ref:1940999)   #12
Francesco
Racer

Italy
Lecco, Italy
Francesco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i remember at my only LM (for now) in 2005... i was going near the guard-rail at dunlops to have some night shots... i noticed some people screaming at me after the barrier and they where all "aston fans" who were shouting bad words at me :-) i was there with a full cap+short Corvette suit ahahhaha

oh and a strange british man who was speaking with the wife of one of those russian drivers (russian age-convers bank-cirtek back in 2005), he asked me a cigarette and he went to one of the ospitality and he came out with a bottle of champagne
Old 19 Jun 2007, 00:50 (Ref:1941232)   #13
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Fortunately, the ladies checking the passes at the stairwell in front of us going to/from tribune 20 were excellent at keeping people off the steps and blocking views throughout the race. Very good work given the conditions.

Funniest thing we saw was a kitcar being deposited at Calais by a French recovery lorry. The driver got out, fiddled under the bonnet, started it up, drove onto the ferry, drove off again at Dover, and straight onto to a waiting British recovery lorry. Excellent MPG for the trip and a car to blat around in while you're there!

Al.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 00:51 (Ref:1941233)   #14
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
I really like the English who brings each year his small teddybear which is in a small armchair. Does anyone know him ?
All the regulars of the Lagache (ex Michelin) grandstand appreciate this nice fellow.
Mr Bean?
Old 19 Jun 2007, 13:41 (Ref:1941704)   #15
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Our tickets for Tribune 14 were clearly marked "stairway 2" which apart from the start of the race was blocked off. We had to use stairways 1 or 3 all day and keep kicking our fellow tribune patrons in the shins while going to get beer and food.

Our group only forgot to pack a few things; good thing the Super U in Arnage is well stocked with sous-vêtements.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Jun 2007, 00:24 (Ref:1942156)   #16
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm funny things... There was quite a cheer when a French policeman was walking to stop a little bit of trouble on Friday night at Houx Annexe, only to giggle and give a thumbs up when the British offender started chanting and worshipping Thierry Henry. The offender was very drunk and could barely stand up - which was enough of a cue later on for someone to pull his shorts right down...

As for me, I was being very cautious not to emulate myself at Donington Park last year, which meant going up and down mounds and banks rather carefully to make sure I didn't fall flat on my face whilst carrying bags!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 02:16 (Ref:1942193)   #17
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
neither funny nor embarassing, but you can picture me at my best friends house, on his couch with two sets of earphones, one for the tv so I wouldn't bother anyone asleep in the house in the middle of the night watching the Speed coverage of the race , and the other set of headphones from a wireless set I brought from home so I could hook it up to his computer and then listen to RLM when the tv coverage wasn't on/ or when the commentary was boring--I actually often went tv visuals and RLM sound.

My friends wife has made jokes for years about us watching cars going "round and round and round and round" (with beaucoup rolling of the eyes), and so I think this added more fodder to her "you guys are nuts" comments...

ps, while the Speed coverage was okay, David Hobbs wasn't there this year and I found the commentary substandard to RLM. RLM really does have the most interesting interviews and generally knows what is going on better than the tv guys. I get the impression that drivers that have been around know that doing a tv "soundbite" is just that, and that for radio and RLM, they aren't going to get asked a stupid regular old question and also that more time will be given to them so that they can answer more fully (and to a more knowledgeable fanbase also). I'm a real radio fan, and so enjoyed lying in the dark with RLM in my ears--pps, I was glad for all of you there that it didn't rain during the night, it's bad enough being in it during the day, but that night must have been cool (down to 9c I think). That said, must have been pretty darn wet towards the end!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 06:46 (Ref:1942270)   #18
AMICALEMANS
Racer

France
AMICALEMANS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did find english people with some weird cars on friday between Mulsanne and Arnage... Was they too drunk to be there ?
Old 20 Jun 2007, 08:13 (Ref:1942302)   #19
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I missed this year, I have to pull up one from last year. We were watching the freaky friday on the road behind the main grandstand, where all the guys were showing off their rides. A Viper RT/10 passed, a Ferrari 550, a 928 did a nice burnout, and then a buttnaked drunk frenchmen in a wheel chair :P Quite the surprise I can tell you, and it was hilarious.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 10:31 (Ref:1942399)   #20
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did anybody get breathalised? I was returning to our digs with a wealthy friend in a 997 turbo when we were pulled over but he was OK, minimal drinker. The owners at our digs told us that there were new laws in force for LM this year and confiscation of the car and arrest is the penalty, wait 'till Monday to be brought before a judge for fine and ban!! Not sure when you get your car back if caught.

I had a pass for P12 in the middle of the circuit, took hours to get in and even longer to get out at 1.00am, if offered one turn it down!!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 16:02 (Ref:1942633)   #21
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
As I missed this year, I have to pull up one from last year. We were watching the freaky friday on the road behind the main grandstand, where all the guys were showing off their rides. A Viper RT/10 passed, a Ferrari 550, a 928 did a nice burnout, and then a buttnaked drunk frenchmen in a wheel chair :P Quite the surprise I can tell you, and it was hilarious.
i can remember the naked french bloke, man that was funny, you cant get any more random than that!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 17:34 (Ref:1942713)   #22
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
when arriving in Carrefour on friday morning, Reinhold Joest was just going out of it
not sure he went to buy beer or merguez, maybe just to see the Audi R8R exposed in there
Old 20 Jun 2007, 18:09 (Ref:1942749)   #23
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
For me it was the drunken English bloke who was diving in puddles at the camping Houx. Sometimes he flew in the air for more then two meters before landing in the mud. He even wanted to dive down from a van! totally insane fellow!!!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 18:15 (Ref:1942762)   #24
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Possibly a bit mild on the humour stakes but pulling into my space in the Expo carpark next to a group of British Boxsters/911s in my utterly unsporty company car (a Toyota Prius) it was quite entertaining hearing the owners of German exotica being utterly taken aback by the silence of the electric motor - and not realising that Belgian plates don't necessarily mean the driver doesn't speak English...

Never thouht taking an absurd eco-car to Le Mans would evoke anything other than abuse from my fellow attendees...
Old 20 Jun 2007, 22:00 (Ref:1942941)   #25
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I thought German and French were the main speech in Belgium...

Where I was it was French