Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 27 Jun 2007, 09:52 (Ref:1947964)   #26
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
I've often said to Paul T. that the one thing I miss most of all about RLM is his commentary partnership with Ian Titchmarsh. The two of them were just just so entertaining to listen to.
Yes, it's a great shame the Ian Titchmarsh isn't involved anymore
Old 27 Jun 2007, 10:44 (Ref:1948007)   #27
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thoroughly enjoyed RLM this year. It's always entertaining, and (maybe it was just me) this year I found myself smiling or laughing out loud far more frequently than I have in recent years. A veritable ray of sunshine to offset the sadly depressing weather we had to endure this year!

But (and this is a major gripe which I find eternally irritating), although very few 'incidents' are missed by the team, it's nigh on impossible to follow the race in any depth by simply listening to RLM alone. Unless I was in the vicinity of the ACO grandstand and able to pop in for a printed hourly timesheet, I found myself listening to the french commentary more and more to get a better understanding of race order and, more importantly, the intervals between the cars battling for position in the various classes. The hourly updates on RLM offered the very bare minimum of information to the point that I'd question whether they were worth doing at all!

I can only conclude that RLM's target audience is web based (for those with access to live timing) and not those who are trackside. I feel privileged to be able to attend the race in person each year, but incredibly frustrated that those sitting at home are able to follow the race so much more easily than those who are actually there. What I'd give for the hourly updates to be replaced by 'Truswell's Ten Minutes' in which he could run through each class with the gap between each position and whether or not a car was catching the car in front or being caught by the car behind. Dream on.......
Old 27 Jun 2007, 11:48 (Ref:1948042)   #28
renkadima
Rookie

renkadima should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
I thoroughly enjoyed RLM this year. It's always entertaining, and (maybe it was just me) this year I found myself smiling or laughing out loud far more frequently than I have in recent years. A veritable ray of sunshine to offset the sadly depressing weather we had to endure this year!

But (and this is a major gripe which I find eternally irritating), although very few 'incidents' are missed by the team, it's nigh on impossible to follow the race in any depth by simply listening to RLM alone. Unless I was in the vicinity of the ACO grandstand and able to pop in for a printed hourly timesheet, I found myself listening to the french commentary more and more to get a better understanding of race order and, more importantly, the intervals between the cars battling for position in the various classes. The hourly updates on RLM offered the very bare minimum of information to the point that I'd question whether they were worth doing at all!

I can only conclude that RLM's target audience is web based (for those with access to live timing) and not those who are trackside. I feel privileged to be able to attend the race in person each year, but incredibly frustrated that those sitting at home are able to follow the race so much more easily than those who are actually there. What I'd give for the hourly updates to be replaced by 'Truswell's Ten Minutes' in which he could run through each class with the gap between each position and whether or not a car was catching the car in front or being caught by the car behind. Dream on.......

But surely RLM is an enhancement to the race and not an oracle? Historically, it has been the main source of info for the English speaking audience at the race; but, as a previous poster pointed out, the technology is improving to the extent that more screens are at the circuit and next year you will probably be able to hire a Kangaroo TV set. If you so wish (and can afford it), you can already take your laptop along and log in to the live timing. As time goes on, these kinds of technologies will become cheaper and easier to access.

I, for one, would rather hear Graham Tyler finding out from a team manager or driver why something had happened, than listen to a rundown of times that will probably be some minutes old - even if it is Trussers talking.

RLM provides the stories, the humour and an informed voice. The ACO should be providing the rest (and they couldn't even be bothered to stick the hourly positions in the windows of the ACO shop this year!)

Just my opinion of course.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 12:01 (Ref:1948047)   #29
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can I just say that I have no intention of hiring any beast at Le Mans next year, marsupial or otherwise. Nor would I dream of bringing a laptop (if I could prize one away from my offspring). I agree with James that the hourly updates were so perfunctory as to be nearly useless and a 5-10 minute rundown from PT (as in the past) would be far more informative.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 12:08 (Ref:1948052)   #30
renkadima
Rookie

renkadima should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps I'm not so bothered about hearing the rundowns because you can guarantee that a Panoz will be rumbling past at the exact moment that PT reads out the bit of info I'm listening for!
Old 27 Jun 2007, 12:14 (Ref:1948059)   #31
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The hourly updates were a little dissapointing especially as quite a lot of the time they seemed to be inaccurate!! However on the whole RLM was invaluable to me at the track
Old 27 Jun 2007, 13:19 (Ref:1948114)   #32
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03

.... 'Truswell's Ten Minutes' in which he could run through each class with the gap between each position and whether or not a car was catching the car in front or being caught by the car behind. Dream on.......

Man that brings back good memories!!!
Old 27 Jun 2007, 14:25 (Ref:1948157)   #33
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the internet has become their primary target market then why did they do regular British news? Or was that a track-only broadcast?
Old 27 Jun 2007, 15:49 (Ref:1948218)   #34
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12
Anyone hear the post race show. ****ing brillant, they had people ringing with their best Henri Pescarolo or David Piper accent
I enjoyed the post race show too, made me laugh out several times. How does David Piper say yes again (allegedly)?

Splendid stuff.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 16:22 (Ref:1948240)   #35
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
As a marshal spending most of my time out on post near Arnage for the entire week, I find all the information given over the radio to be an excellent source of information. On post, we don't have a TV screen, a wifi point for the laptop or any other means of getting info, so even if some of it comes a bit late, it is at least better than no information at all.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 19:00 (Ref:1948374)   #36
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Lusitano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed their broadcasts very much, even when they go off and speak about their personal "happennings". hehehe
Until before heading out on Friday, that is what I was listening to over the net.

At the track, I did not listen to it much.

Since we are talking about commentatoing, how about the French guy on the speakers at the track? He really put drama into almost everything he said. hehehehe
Old 27 Jun 2007, 19:03 (Ref:1948377)   #37
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
With a name like "Bruno Van Der Stick" ..... im not surprised !!!
Old 27 Jun 2007, 19:22 (Ref:1948414)   #38
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
Yes, it's a great shame the Ian Titchmarsh isn't involved anymore
Apparently when RLM was run by Autosport they sacked him. I'm told that he has been invited back by the new management, but hasn't yet returned.

I would disagree that the target audience was purely web listeners - there were a lot of references to doing things which could only be done by listeners who were on site at Le Mans.

And as zac510 said, why would they broadcast national and international news if they were targeting that audience - those people could get that information elsewhere.

Of course web listeners probably account for the vast majority of the audience - I think I heard a stat that there were 1.4million listeners on the web last year? There were probably only 140,000 people listening on site, so the web audience would account for more than 90% of the total.

And on Midweek Motorsport a couple of weeks before the race they discussed the format of the hourly updates and said there had been a lot of complaints last year that they were too long, included too much information, and were out of date before they ended, so they promised they wouldn't run longer than 2 and a half minutes this year.

I am sure if there is enough feedback, they will review the format again next year - though I agree with the other posters on this thread that I would rather hear interviews, than ten minutes of someone reading split times.

If I'm trackside I can see how far apart cars are. If I'm not, I can look it up.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 19:41 (Ref:1948440)   #39
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One thing that they didn't say during the run down was the retirment's. A run down on Sunday morning would have been nice.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 19:44 (Ref:1948445)   #40
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
One thing that they didn't say during the run down was the retirment's. A run down on Sunday morning would have been nice.
They did do retirements in some updates, but not every hour - it was more like every three hours.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 19:51 (Ref:1948454)   #41
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
I agree with the other posters on this thread that I would rather hear interviews, than ten minutes of someone reading split times.

If I'm trackside I can see how far apart cars are. If I'm not, I can look it up.
I don't think anyone else wants to hear ten minutes of stats either, but a quick mention of the 'movers' whilst whizzing through the race positions would be seriously helpful.

How many people sit trackside for 24 hours watching the cars trolling round and round? Possibly 5% of them? When dipping in and out of the race you really rely on little pieces of info such as 'Peugeot #7, two laps down, catching the leading Audi by 3 seconds a lap' or whatever.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 19:54 (Ref:1948456)   #42
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was far better than Speed TV.

One commentators called Chamberlain's Lola a Courage twice.
Old 27 Jun 2007, 20:04 (Ref:1948466)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The bottom line is - like anything else in life - you need a realistic balance. Some updates for the anoraks and insomniacs plus interviews and suchlike to keep the content as interesting as possible. And humour - plenty of it!
Old 27 Jun 2007, 20:14 (Ref:1948480)   #44
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Lusitano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
The bottom line is - like anything else in life - you need a realistic balance. Some updates for the anoraks and insomniacs plus interviews and suchlike to keep the content as interesting as possible. And humour - plenty of it!
I agree! During the time I listened, I found plenty of that!
Old 27 Jun 2007, 21:56 (Ref:1948567)   #45
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12
Anyone hear the post race show. ****ing brillant, they had people ringing with their best Henri Pescarolo or David Piper accent
It was dreadful. IMHO. It is the same every year though. As Aysedasi said, lets have some humour instead.

Anyway. RLM this year, as always, was invaluable and entertaining.

I guess that the point of wanting to pose the question is to get feedback, but while the majority (in words) of this post is negative, that is not more overall feeling of RLM. Well done again, and thanks

On a point that was picked up on earlier in this thread. There is clearly time for both run downs, chat and interviews during the 24 hours. You need run down because it allows bearings to be found.

Like Bentley03 I also found it annoying when they missed key events. Yes the coverage isn't a perfect record, but when a car doesn't come round or you see a problem on the track it should be covered. General speculation can happen at any point. In test match special they talk about all sorts of things, but not a single ball is missed. Motorsport doesn't require that dedication, but when something on track happens it should become the talking point. If that means interrupting the current thread then so be it.

I thought the production this year took a step backwards compared to previous years. Obviously for a live event, and a 24 hour live event especially, it is unrealistic and unnecessary for every jingle and link to work perfectly. However the beginning of the news was missed on numerous occasions and ads and jingles seemed to happen by surprise much of the time. It can be better, because it has been better.

Finally, of great disappointment, was the complete lack of coverage that the Legends race got. There were some brilliant cars (and drivers) out there and a good race too. Yet no race commentary. There is a lot of time to fill on Saturday morning, use this. It is an hour where most of the team could have a break. Perhaps get a historic expert in (although I feel some of the team could do it anyway), and tell us about these beautiful Le Mans cars. Even if they were desperate to do the Aston thing at that point, frankly it could have been recorded and delayed a small amount of time.

Thanks again
Old 27 Jun 2007, 23:22 (Ref:1948613)   #46
Austinspace75
Racer

England
Cardiff
Austinspace75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Finally, of great disappointment, was the complete lack of coverage that the Legends race got. There were some brilliant cars (and drivers) out there and a good race too. Yet no race commentary. There is a lot of time to fill on Saturday morning, use this. It is an hour where most of the team could have a break. Perhaps get a historic expert in (although I feel some of the team could do it anyway), and tell us about these beautiful Le Mans cars. Even if they were desperate to do the Aston thing at that point, frankly it could have been recorded and delayed a small amount of time.

Thanks again
I emailed RLM a couple of weeks prior to this years race to enquire whether they were covering the Legends event as it was a shame that they missed the incredible battle that took place in '06. John Hindhough was kind enough to reply, but unfortunately reported that wouldn't be able to cover it due to funding issues. He said that the '06 Legends race couldn't be covered for the same reasons and because they had a conflict with a sponsor. He said that they'd tried to get some backing for this years race and was astonished that no-one wanted to fund coverage, as it gets a good crowd.
Now, considering the amount of effort needed by the RLM team to organise the broadcast for the event as whole, it is pretty understandable that they will probably have other priorities. However, I totally agree with your comments.

Assuming that they didn't have any commercial issues with airing some commentary this year (I don't think the sponsor conflict existed this year), then surely it was just a case of finding a reasonably versed enthusiast to sit, watch and talk about what they were seeing into a microphone.

I was in half a mind to phone-in about 10 minutes prior to the race and ask them to pipe me through to attempt a highly amateur version of my own!

I suppose though, that they figured that if you're gonna cover it, then do it properly and professionally. Which usually involves some cost.
Old 28 Jun 2007, 07:07 (Ref:1948721)   #47
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinspace75
John Hindhough was kind enough to reply, but unfortunately reported that wouldn't be able to cover it due to funding issues. He said that they'd tried to get some backing for this years race and was astonished that no-one wanted to fund coverage, as it gets a good crowd.
Well absolutely - if the sponsors of the Legends race aren't interested in paying for the coverage (and I'm sure the ACO would demand a hefty fee for commentary rights, as they do for everything else, in addition to the costs of covering the event), then it shouldn't get any coverage.

There are far too many companies (and race organisers) who think they should get something for nothing. And it doesn't work like that.
Old 28 Jun 2007, 08:43 (Ref:1948786)   #48
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the background.
What a bizarre and frustrating situation! The world really is a stupid place.
Old 28 Jun 2007, 19:03 (Ref:1949097)   #49
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Sure is Adam, Abba had it about right........
Old 2 Jul 2007, 09:10 (Ref:1952082)   #50
Trussers
Rookie

Trussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for all the comments – and thanks to aysedasi for starting the hare running.

It is great to know that there are people out there listening, makes it even more important that we provide accurate and entertaining information. Well it’s my role to provide the accurate, I leave it to the others to entertain… so apologies for all the mistakes, gaffs, etc.

Also apologies that I haven’t stuck my oar into this thread before now – I only just discovered it was here!

Yes it is a commercial enterprise, and somebody has to pay for it. But commercial interests will not drive us away from the original spirit and purpose of Radio Le Mans. As John Hindhaugh is fond of saying: We are spectators with microphones. But spectators come in all shapes and sizes and some have never heard of Yojiro Terada, still less care whether he is quick or not. And yes, lots do listen on the web and have a different set of requirements. And we never know whether those who go to sleep (wimps) are going to want their “overnight summary” at 6:30am or 9:30am. And amazingly, there are people who say “Poo-jho” – and those who like taking the mickey out of David Piper. Talking of heroes, Bruno (French PA commentator) Vandestick is an amazing guy; he has really made Le Mans his own now. Anyone remember Jean-Charles Laurens, who used to do it in the seventies / eighties? A little easier to listen to, but just as enthusiastic.

Anyway, I have found it enormously useful to read through and will ensure that your comments get passed on to “management”. (I am only a humble worker bee in the overall RLM hierarchy).

I would like to comment on a number of points raised though.

The amount of information available to the trackside spectator has vastly improved over the years (I too was there, as a spectator, before Radio Le Mans, when all we had was PA over inadequate speakers). And as such the “need” for RLM as a “scoreboard” has reduced. Giant screens all over the place let you know what’s going on at other parts of the circuit. And the lights on the sides of the cars give you the positions of the first three in each class.

And for those not at the circuit, there is 24 hour TV coverage, live(ish) timing on the web, providing people with all the data you could need.

So Radio Le Mans has to position itself slightly differently these days. Are we a trackside commentary service being “eavesdropped” by folk on the web? Or are we a radio station broadcasting to a worldwide audience that folk at the circuit can listen in to, among the various other media that they have available?

Someone mentioned Kangaroo. Yes it will be there in 2008 – provided they can solve certain technical details like being able to provide a signal all round the track. There were a number (some hundred) of sets in use this year, being provided to certain media people and VIPs. A commercial opportunity exists to provide a commentary service on one of the voice channels on offer and Radio Le Mans obviously wants to be on board. More commercial considerations.

Regarding the comment about the “service” we used to offer to people needing dingle sprockets for their 1962 Triumph TR2, etc. I have to admit I loved that too. I even remember one of the teams needed something one year to keep their car in the race (was it Hugh Chamberlain? Probably), and someone in the campsite managed to get him going again. My impression is that the reliability of road cars seems to have improved in parallel to those on the track, or people have more faith in the RAC than in RLM. There certainly seemed to be more Exiges and Cerberas on the way back than Elans and Griffins. So it is not a production decision not to offer the service, merely that the requests have not been coming in.

So who's not looking forward to next year's race already? Bet Peugeot walk it. And get the distance record. Then they'll change the track again.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Paul Truswell