Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 1 Jul 2001, 19:50 (Ref:111858)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Cleveland

Kudos to Dario and TKG for stretching that fuel.
Kudos to Gidley for the win that wasn't to be.
Kudos to Zanardi for the result that wasn't to be.
Kudos to Junqueria for his honesty.
Wonder if Zanardi took up dentistry when he met up with Wilson?
Great racing in Cleveland. Again.
Old 1 Jul 2001, 20:46 (Ref:111867)   #2
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've summed it up pretty well, Macdaddy. I would add some kudos to Moreno though. He could have had a great result today.
Old 1 Jul 2001, 20:55 (Ref:111873)   #3
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
End of race was a nightmare for me. I was not sure which I wanted most. Dario's first win since Surfer's Paradise 1999 or Memo's first win ever.

So suppose a 1-2 is perfect result, thought Mmeo really should have won (Andretti I now dislike you).
Old 1 Jul 2001, 21:09 (Ref:111885)   #4
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, I also had mixed feelings towards the end of the race. It would have been great if Memo had won! He had dominated so much.

Still, it was nice to see Dario win again.
Old 2 Jul 2001, 05:31 (Ref:111973)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Gidley deserved the win but unfortunately he came up 1 lap short..he would have had Dario if there was one more..but a great race and the best track they run at for sure..amazing how they can shut down an airport for a car race for 3 days..increddible.

Andretti ..while he didnt really do anything wrong it was a shame he didnt let memo go a tad earlier but thats racing and as memo said after the race "i guess I will have to return the favour one day"

That a Boy Memo..give it to them.

and max Wilson deserves some credit as well..since the team have come back he really has performed pretty well..ok the results havent been there but his performance has been excellent when compared to the start of the year.

but i think the qualifying situation made this a better race than what it should have been but i dont mind it was a cracker and i think they should run every race at Cleveland
Old 2 Jul 2001, 08:38 (Ref:112001)   #6
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Memo Gidley; he took full advantage of the opportunity offered to him. This race was 100% more exciting than the completely **** F1 race in France
Old 2 Jul 2001, 12:11 (Ref:112062)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The race from Wonderland. At least Gil got points, and Helio got one point, and Brack didn't get very many so he's not far ahead. But seeing Dario leap up the points table shows how quickly things can change.

Does anyone think Patrique is going to have a job next year?
Old 2 Jul 2001, 18:32 (Ref:112182)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I'm surprised PC's got a job this year.
And yes, great to see the Penskes score. Second and fourth now in the championship, one that Helio's gonna win.
Old 2 Jul 2001, 19:13 (Ref:112200)   #9
domaza
Racer

domaza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Cleveland

Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Kudos to Dario and TKG for stretching that fuel.
Kudos to Gidley for the win that wasn't to be.
Kudos to Zanardi for the result that wasn't to be.
Kudos to Junqueria for his honesty.
Wonder if Zanardi took up dentistry when he met up with Wilson?
Great racing in Cleveland. Again.
Kudos to race in Cleveland.
Kudos to only 1 full course yellow.

Is this CART record to have only 1 yellow flag period during the race? It showed that CART is very intresting without those yellows too. Special race it was - I was so so so exciting - also I introduced CART to my friends too and they told:" Wow... this is racing not like this F1" Now they are planning to come to my place again to see Molson Indy Popularity grows...
Old 2 Jul 2001, 19:47 (Ref:112216)   #10
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Cleveland

Quote:
Originally posted by domaza
... also I introduced CART to my friends too and they told:" Wow... this is racing not like this F1 " Now they are planning to come to my place again to see Molson Indy Popularity grows...
Wow! You are a one-man crusade promoting CART. I think you should be talking to Joe Heitzler - he could use your help!!
Old 2 Jul 2001, 22:46 (Ref:112302)   #11
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

Does anyone think Patrique is going to have a job next year?
Funny you should mention that Liz, as I am writing this I am taking a break from transcribing an interview with Carpentier where we asked him that very question. Patrick actually feels quite confident that he will be in the Player's car next year. He feels that the team is including him in all of the plans for 2002. The whole interview will be run on www.cartpages.com starting tomorrow if you are interested in reading it.
Old 2 Jul 2001, 22:51 (Ref:112306)   #12
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Cleveland

Quote:
Originally posted by domaza
Is this CART record to have only 1 yellow flag period during the race?
I don't believe so, Domaza. There have been a few races run without any yellow. Without looking it up, I can't tell you for sure, but Milwaukee in 1981 with Johncock winning comes to mind.
Old 3 Jul 2001, 00:17 (Ref:112330)   #13
bobdrummond
Racer

bobdrummond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last years' Gateway race only had one yellow, I think?

I love Clevelands' round. It's always a thriller. Yesterday was nearly too much. Though I like Dario (especially since he was so happy for Max after Portland), I thought a win for Memo would've done the series some good. I'm a bit depressed about the TV ratings. Trans-Am is good racing, but shouldn't be anywhere near CART in the ratings.
Old 3 Jul 2001, 00:36 (Ref:112336)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd say many races over the years have gone caution free. I know that the Surfers race in 1993 went yellow free. But back in those days if there was a spin, everyone would jump the fence and push them away...which really was quite silly...
Old 3 Jul 2001, 01:01 (Ref:112344)   #15
bobdrummond
Racer

bobdrummond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had to laugh last night, watching Speedvision news. After reporting all the action at Cleveland, they moved onto F1 at Magny Cours. They described an overtaking move for eighth place - and that was it! That was all the worlds greatest series had to offer? Jeez, it's getting as bad as Nascar.
Old 3 Jul 2001, 03:08 (Ref:112379)   #16
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What a great race!

Great job by Dario. He was last in the order after the first turn.

Super drive from Memo. Needs to do it consistently though. Also, I do not feel sorry for him not winning. He built up his massive lead by using heaps more fuel and running with a richer mixture. Dario's effort to save as much fuel as he did and still go quick and make his way through the field was probably more difficult. Still a great drive by Memo.

What was Max Wilson thinking? He had no right to do that (being a lap down). And if he was going to stick his nose up the inside of Alex. Why do it there (one of the hardest places to pass)? I suggest he was still very frustrated about the Junqueira thing.

Is Zanardi going to have any luck this year? OK, he had some luck with the 2nd qualifying thing on Saturday. But that seems to be his story. When the car is terrible and he can't take advantage of it, he has some good luck - when the car is good, he has bad luck. Still a tremendous performance, based on his previous misery this year. Hopefully the team has turned the corner.

I too was impressed with Bruno's reply. I could just imagine Paul Tracy getting out in the same situation and saying, "I can't believe Christian did that! He just stomped on the brakes and I had nowhere to go!"

Also, I think Carpentier will stay at Player's next year. It's obvious that the team rate him highly, otherwise he wouldn't be there this year (based on last year). He has improved a bit this year. I think the guy in trouble in that team is Tagliani. I was a big fan of his last year, but he seems to be struggling behind his team-mate for the most part this year.
Old 3 Jul 2001, 04:35 (Ref:112389)   #17
Ed G
Racer

Ed G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wilson's pit stop problem was truly sad. I really felt sorry for the guy. Having such an absolutely fantastic 2 races up til then and to have it all fall apart. I think his team really should have told(forced) him to go around another lap so that Bruno's car could get pulled back.

As for Micheal holding up Memo... I think that was the only time I have cheered for Mikey since he stalled in his pit across from us at Vancouver in 99... WAY TO GO DARIO!!!

Man that was an absolutely excellent race