Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 May 2006, 01:24 (Ref:1623454)   #1
Silver GT
Racer

Silver GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see theres a V8 race this weekend (3rd June)

I noticed that theres a race on at Winton this weekend. (I had a look on the off chance.....there isnt any advertising going on)

I dont know about you guys but these big gaps between races really annoy me. Its really hard to develop a habit to watch these races.....they are 2 weeks apart..........then 3 weeks apart..... then 4 weeks apart ...I think its even 5 weeks between Sandown and Bathurst...thats nearly the same as the summer break

Last round I even forgot they were even on and went to the footy. The reason I forgot.....not a lot of publicity about it and I dont have the habit of watching it.

If theses V8 guys were fair dinkum about making the V8s a main stream sport then they need to create habits in the public....footy is every week....cricket is evey week........soccer is evey week....all sports are every week

Maybe they should make it every second week and shorten the season if they are so dead against having more rounds (which I think is a mistake)
Old 31 May 2006, 01:28 (Ref:1623456)   #2
Matt H
Veteran

Matt H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where abouts are you located ??

quite a lot of tv advertising in victoria on channel seriously.....

how much more do you want, catalouges to your letterbox, spam to your inbox ??

www.v8supercar.com.au tends to have the dates on them, maybe there is a place to look if you dont know whats on...
Old 31 May 2006, 01:38 (Ref:1623458)   #3
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair Matt, he does have a point. There is a lack of media coverage for V8's. I come to these forum sites and the v8 site quite frequently, but have to constantly remind myself they are infact on at winton this weekend.. There doesnt seem to be enough "hype" surrounding the series.
Old 31 May 2006, 01:52 (Ref:1623465)   #4
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
James63:
To be fair Matt, he does have a point. There is a lack of media coverage for V8's. I come to these forum sites and the v8 site quite frequently, but have to constantly remind myself they are infact on at winton this weekend.. There doesnt seem to be enough "hype" surrounding the series.
James,

Hype around the series, or hype around the event?

Each promoter agrees to a advertising package for each round, a lack of press releases can be attributed to teams & VESA.

Media outlets need to be bombarded from all angles, not just the Promoter/Racetrack.

Let's draw the conspiracy out a bit more, do VESA want this event to not be a success, as they are only running at Winton because of their own failures in China?

Theorists, do your best........
Old 31 May 2006, 02:10 (Ref:1623475)   #5
Silver GT
Racer

Silver GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt H

www.v8supercar.com.au tends to have the dates on them, maybe there is a place to look if you dont know whats on...
I'm in Melbourne.

as for more advertising.....what about the "herald sun".... what about the radio.

these guys need to get new people following this sport with minimal input....the die hards are already hooked....the business wont expand on existing fans....they need new ones..... then once they are in you need to keep them intersted and keep them interested by creating a habit
Old 31 May 2006, 05:30 (Ref:1623529)   #6
Adam Ronke
Racer

Australia
Between Winton & Wakefield
Adam Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winton will be successful, half of the success of the event was getting it back, the rest will follow....
Old 31 May 2006, 06:12 (Ref:1623535)   #7
Matt H
Veteran

Matt H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn right Adam
Old 31 May 2006, 06:37 (Ref:1623543)   #8
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ronke
Winton will be successful, half of the success of the event was getting it back, the rest will follow....
Adam, I'm proud to be part of the team that WILL make it a success, just throwing an option up for comment.

Lets see a real 30 + thousand people there on Sunday.
Old 31 May 2006, 06:47 (Ref:1623546)   #9
A9X05
Racer

A9X05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt H

Well Matt, I must agree with Silver GT, I havent heard anything about Winton, until this morning on this forum to be honest (not this thread btw) Here in Brisbane, I have heard not one thing about Winton, I knew it was coming, but I wasnt too sure when! I dont buy newspapers, and I definately havent seen any advertising on the T.V!
Occasionally we might see a advert on T.V. for one of the QLD rounds as you have this week for yours at Winton! Very rare to see a advert for even the 10 telecast in Brisbane, Maybe I dont watch the T.V. as much either!
Old 31 May 2006, 09:12 (Ref:1623631)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
um there has been a thread locked at the top of this forum area since the 15th of may, the day after the last round.

Im in vic country and we have been gettinga dds for about three weeks its on their web site its in the papers its in the tv guide its on KFC wrappers. its on the v8 screen saver, its in the v8 newletter and in the coming days it will be on sports tonight, it was mentioned on rpm.

seriously im not sure what else can be done, advertising costs money, maybe people who are interested should just try a little bit to find out, its not hard.

But i agree we need more rounds, the old money excuse will not be good enough next year, not with the new tv deal and the new internet deal, the teams will be rolling in it
Old 31 May 2006, 09:15 (Ref:1623633)   #11
bahodie
Racer

Australia
Dreamworld
bahodie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's obviously two points to this thread - one the lack of knowledge about this particular round, the other the fact the V8 calender is pretty ad hoc.

Imagine if the footy was on this week, but not next week, and then only three weeks after that, it'd drive the average fan crazy. A shorther season with fortnightly rounds would make more sense, and then on the other weeks we could have the oft-talked about 'testing' weekend, then there'd be V8 'action' every weekend for the course of the season. Just like real sports!
Old 31 May 2006, 10:27 (Ref:1623671)   #12
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then they would whine and whine about having to travel in the time (eg: to WA)

but somehow NASCAR teams manage to do it each week, and that US is a fair bit bigger than Aus...

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 31 May 2006, 11:15 (Ref:1623699)   #13
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roughly the same size, actually - except the USA has 10 times the population, and therefore, (very roughly) ten times the dollars to support the sport. Even in the almighty USA, they don't expect their teams to race all over the place like our teams do. Consecutive rounds in South Australia, New Zealand, Western Australia, Victoria, Northern Territory, Queensland, etc, with a trip to the other side of the world thrown in. NASCAR doesn't do it quite like that.

Your apples and watermelons comparison needs a bit of evening up.
Old 31 May 2006, 11:47 (Ref:1623726)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
they also have multiple cars, which is a difference also.

I just wonder if there is anyone apart from team owners who wouldnt want more rounds?
Old 31 May 2006, 13:06 (Ref:1623782)   #15
bahodie
Racer

Australia
Dreamworld
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8
Roughly the same size, actually - except the USA has 10 times the population, and therefore, (very roughly) ten times the dollars to support the sport.......Your apples and watermelons comparison needs a bit of evening up.
Maybe you've answered the question R8. Why not divide the costs by 10? A half million dollar car would drop to 50 grand, and, oh boy, isn't that just the price of a real Falcon and Commodore? Goodness me, imagine racing real cars. I think they used to do that once...
Old 1 Jun 2006, 07:03 (Ref:1624346)   #16
A9X05
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
seriously im not sure what else can be done, advertising costs money, maybe people who are interested should just try a little bit to find out, its not hard.
If I were a bit more interested I can/would find out when it was on, I was just saying IN GENERAL I havent seen or heard anything in (the media) The first I knew anything is when I saw it on here somewhere, when it was actually on, I knew it must 've been close! I know I could have looked here earlier,but I wasnt that worried about it !
These days I am not too interested in V8 Taxis, I dont care much for RPM same ol same ol, I just have a casual look at the Taxis these days if I think of it!
Old 1 Jun 2006, 07:19 (Ref:1624351)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the amount of rounds and the time spread of rounds isn't so bad, but to keep less 'dead time' between meetings, they should make the Development Series completely stand-alone again.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1624535)   #18
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahodie
Maybe you've answered the question R8. Why not divide the costs by 10? A half million dollar car would drop to 50 grand, and, oh boy, isn't that just the price of a real Falcon and Commodore? Goodness me, imagine racing real cars. I think they used to do that once...
If you went all the way to running standard modern cars even SSs and XR8s they would be so quiet, undramatic, gut-less looking etc. it would be a massive disappointment maybe? It might a bit like a giant sqeauly Lotus race but with heavy unresponsive cars I reckon.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 00:54 (Ref:1625090)   #19
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Were the cars of the 1970s and early 80s quiet, undramatic and gut-less?
Old 2 Jun 2006, 01:26 (Ref:1625100)   #20
A9X05
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Were the cars of the 1970s and early 80s quiet, undramatic and gut-less?
In those days 70's the drivers had to earn their miniscule prizemoney by manhandling those cars around without the aids of massive egos, race seats, sticky tyres, radio/communication, drink bottles, big brakes, cool suits, etc,etc,etc,
I would love to see some of the current egos try and drive an undramatic and gutless XYGT or Torana XU-1 single handedly, around the mountain without all the good gear for 500 miles! Hear them scream from here!
Old 2 Jun 2006, 01:34 (Ref:1625107)   #21
bahodie
Racer

Australia
Dreamworld
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebberForWDC
If you went all the way to running standard modern cars even SSs and XR8s they would be so quiet, undramatic, gut-less looking etc.
Sorry, here was me thinking it was about racing, and not the big loud 'brooom broooms' and pretty colours!
Old 2 Jun 2006, 07:31 (Ref:1625153)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
we already have that bahodie, suggest you go along and watch it

The 800 million ( ) v8 fans want more quiet undramatic gutless looking vehicles driving around. its what seperates motorsport from horse racing
Old 2 Jun 2006, 07:37 (Ref:1625161)   #23
Vee8
Racer

Vee8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dare I say it - if it was really important to you, you would put it in your diary, or make a note of it, or remember to check.