Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jan 2023, 10:42 (Ref:4138798)   #351
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Yes - that's right.
Thanks, my question:

Who is the only driver to have driven for all four of the following teams in F1?:

Ferrari
McLaren
Williams
Lotus
Old 3 Jan 2023, 10:43 (Ref:4138799)   #352
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Won the championship with no pole positions.
With a twist of words you could arguably add Keke Rosberg to that list.... Rosberg actually scored his only pole position of the year at the British GP in 1982, but like Hulme and Lauda won his title without starting from pole position. He stalled on the warm up lap and actually started the race rear of grid.
Old 3 Jan 2023, 10:53 (Ref:4138800)   #353
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Thanks, my question:

Who is the only driver to have driven for all four of the following teams in F1?:

Ferrari
McLaren
Williams
Lotus
Nigel Mansell
Old 3 Jan 2023, 11:01 (Ref:4138801)   #354
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Nigel Mansell
Correct

I was going to phrase it as 'the four most successful teams in F1 history', but then realised that Mercedes have now surpassed Lotus as the fourth-most successful team despite having been around just 13 years.
Old 3 Jan 2023, 11:34 (Ref:4138803)   #355
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Correct

I was going to phrase it as 'the four most successful teams in F1 history', but then realised that Mercedes have now surpassed Lotus as the fourth-most successful team despite having been around just 13 years.
DDont forget 1954-1955.
Old 3 Jan 2023, 11:57 (Ref:4138805)   #356
BTCC frog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
DDont forget 1954-1955.
The teams' records are very difficult because of stuff like this. I think the most obvious example is Alfa Romeo. Should the current Alfa Romeo team have their stats combined with those of the early 1980s and the champions of 1950-51, or with the Sauber team that ran from 1993-2017 with a brief time as BMW Sauber? I would argue with the Sauber team.

In which case Mercedes should be combined with Brawn, Honda and BAR rather than with the original Mercedes-Benz. But then arguably they should also get credit for Tyrrell's achievements, which seems a bit of a stretch to me and I prefer to think of Tyrrell and BAR as two separate teams, but that is perhaps a personal opinion.

And the Renault team that exists now seems rarely to be combined with the Renault that existed from 1977 to 1985, but also is generally considered separate with the Toleman and Benetton teams which it came from and which competed with Renault. I would argue that Renault and Benetton should be combined. Renault should definitely be combined with the Lotus that existed from 2012-15 as it was the same team, and with Alpine, their current name. But what annoys me most is when the 2012-15 Enstone Lotus victories are given to the original Colin Chapman Lotus team of 1958-1994, this is certainly not the same team. Nor is the Tony Fernandes Lotus of 2010-2011.
Old 3 Jan 2023, 12:43 (Ref:4138807)   #357
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
OK - here we go.

What do the Nippon Autopolis circuit in Japan and Flushing Meadows in New York City have in common?
Old 3 Jan 2023, 12:56 (Ref:4138810)   #358
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The teams' records are very difficult because of stuff like this. I think the most obvious example is Alfa Romeo. Should the current Alfa Romeo team have their stats combined with those of the early 1980s and the champions of 1950-51, or with the Sauber team that ran from 1993-2017 with a brief time as BMW Sauber? I would argue with the Sauber team.

In which case Mercedes should be combined with Brawn, Honda and BAR rather than with the original Mercedes-Benz. But then arguably they should also get credit for Tyrrell's achievements, which seems a bit of a stretch to me and I prefer to think of Tyrrell and BAR as two separate teams, but that is perhaps a personal opinion.

And the Renault team that exists now seems rarely to be combined with the Renault that existed from 1977 to 1985, but also is generally considered separate with the Toleman and Benetton teams which it came from and which competed with Renault. I would argue that Renault and Benetton should be combined. Renault should definitely be combined with the Lotus that existed from 2012-15 as it was the same team, and with Alpine, their current name. But what annoys me most is when the 2012-15 Enstone Lotus victories are given to the original Colin Chapman Lotus team of 1958-1994, this is certainly not the same team. Nor is the Tony Fernandes Lotus of 2010-2011.
A very interesting discussion point. To avoid potential clutter here, I have created a thread in the Motorsport History section of the forum.
Old 3 Jan 2023, 12:59 (Ref:4138812)   #359
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
What do the Nippon Autopolis circuit in Japan and Flushing Meadows in New York City have in common?
Both appeared on the F1 Calendar but never hosted a race?
Old 3 Jan 2023, 13:03 (Ref:4138815)   #360
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
Quote:
Both appeared on the F1 Calendar but never hosted a race?
Nearly. I was looking at a slightly more specific fact.
Old 3 Jan 2023, 19:01 (Ref:4138839)   #361
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I was looking at a slightly more specific fact.
Apart from being designed to be used counter-clockwise, never got the official F1 homologation may be?
Old 3 Jan 2023, 19:20 (Ref:4138841)   #362
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Nearly. I was looking at a slightly more specific fact.
Both had their contracts annulled due to financial breaches?
Old 4 Jan 2023, 10:52 (Ref:4138889)   #363
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
They both appeared on the calendar, but never happened?

There's quite a few more in that respect:

Ontario Motor Speedway, Ravenhall, Moscow, Fuengirola, Nepliget Park, Sentul, Zhuhai, New Jersey and Hanoi
Old 4 Jan 2023, 13:27 (Ref:4138900)   #364
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
Yes, at the risk of giving it away, it is all to do with what replaced them both.
Old 4 Jan 2023, 14:19 (Ref:4138905)   #365
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Yes, at the risk of giving it away, it is all to do with what replaced them both.
The first time Flushing Meadows was removed, it was replaced by a European GP at Brands.
Autopolis was replaced by a European GP at Donington.
Old 4 Jan 2023, 15:04 (Ref:4138913)   #366
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
Yes - that is it.
Old 4 Jan 2023, 15:14 (Ref:4138914)   #367
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Next question - this is based on more recent developments in the sport.

Marcus Ericsson holds the record, followed by Lance Stroll and Timo Glock.
Although Charles Pic could claim to have the honour.

What record?
Old 4 Jan 2023, 15:37 (Ref:4138916)   #368
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The longest continuous run of starts with zero points scored?
Old 4 Jan 2023, 15:55 (Ref:4138919)   #369
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
The longest continuous run of starts with zero points scored?
Not the answer I am looking for. The clue is in Charles Pic's claim to the honour.
Old 4 Jan 2023, 16:23 (Ref:4138922)   #370
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
Is it something to do with leading races for 1 lap only, or for a very brief period of time?
Old 4 Jan 2023, 17:18 (Ref:4138924)   #371
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Is it something to do with leading races for 1 lap only, or for a very brief period of time?
Not the answer I'm looking for.

The answer doesn't lie in the drivers' racing record.
Old 4 Jan 2023, 19:52 (Ref:4138939)   #372
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
What record?
Not the question I'm looking for. Ta!
Old 4 Jan 2023, 20:44 (Ref:4138943)   #373
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it the length of time run on the starting tyre before they were changed.
Old 4 Jan 2023, 21:02 (Ref:4138947)   #374
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Is it the length of time run on the starting tyre before they were changed.
No.

Another clue -
Kimi Räikkönen was one of the first to hold this record.
Old 5 Jan 2023, 00:13 (Ref:4138953)   #375
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
I think the Charles Pic (non 'racing') record is that in qualifying he never even once got out of Q1, with a best career qualifying position of 18th despite two full seasons trying.... although others failed to get out of Q1 in their entire career, Pic did it more often than any other.