Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Aug 2020, 20:09 (Ref:3992775)   #1
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brands Hatch Rd4/5/6

Back at a track again. No crowds again. Spectacular racing again.

Saturday
Timetable

09.00 – 09.20 Qualifying F4 British Championship
09.30 – 10.10 Free Practice Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship
10.30 – 10.45 Qualifying Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship
10.55 – 11.25 Qualifying Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain
11.35 – 11.55 Qualifying Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship
12.05 – 12.45 Free Practice Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship
13.05 – 13.35 Qualifying Dunlop Mini Challenges supported by Mini Spares
13.35 – 14.15 Lunch Break
14.15 Race F4 British Championship 20 mins
14.50 Race Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship 8
15.20 – 15.50 Qualifying Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship
16.00 Race Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship 10
16.30 Race Dunlop Mini Challenges supported by Mini Spares 20 mins
17.05 Race F4 British Championship 20 mins
17.40 Race Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship 10

Sunday, August 9
Time
Activity
Laps
10.00 Dunlop Mini Challenges supported by Mini Spares 20 mins
10.35 BTCC Pit Lane Opens
10.50 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 15
11.30 Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain 17
12.10 Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship 14
12.45 – 13.15 Lunch Break
13.15 BTCC Pit Lane Opens
13.30 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 15
14.10 Michelin Ginetta Junior Championship 10
14.45 F4 British Championship 20 mins
15.20 Dunlop Mini Challenges supported by Mini Spares 20 mins
15.55 Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain 17
16.35 Millers Oils Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship 14
17.15 BTCC Pit Lane Opens
17.30 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship 15
These timetables remain subject to change.
Old 3 Aug 2020, 20:10 (Ref:3992776)   #2
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ash Sutton will walk as champinship leader after this
Old 3 Aug 2020, 21:24 (Ref:3992782)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
You were saying the same about the BMWs last season after Donington, but the championship went right down to the wire.....
Old 3 Aug 2020, 21:48 (Ref:3992783)   #4
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
You were saying the same about the BMWs last season after Donington, but the championship went right down to the wire.....
if you remember BMW were pegged back by TOCA and script dictated that Turks be spun in all 3 last events
Old 4 Aug 2020, 06:18 (Ref:3992811)   #5
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
if you remember BMW were pegged back by TOCA and script dictated that Turks be spun in all 3 last events
Yes - BMW had adjustments as a result of normal TOCA process. The same will happen again if any one car/driver becomes too dominant.

For now, why not just enjoy the racing and Sutton's talent on show?
Old 4 Aug 2020, 06:35 (Ref:3992817)   #6
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes - BMW had adjustments as a result of normal TOCA process. The same will happen again if any one car/driver becomes too dominant.

For now, why not just enjoy the racing and Sutton's talent on show?
I thought all rwd cars recieved the same adjustments for the 2and half of last season.
I am intrigued to know what are the elements of the scooby chassis that they have managed to engineer into the Infiniti.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 05:06 (Ref:3992810)   #7
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Why, has he had enough? Budget run out? What have you heard? Will he compete in something else instead? Surely this should have been posted in the rumours thread.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 06:32 (Ref:3992815)   #8
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Here's why I feel making such bold decisions against such little evidence is a futile game. Only a matter of weeks ago, you were saying:

Quote:
too bad Sutton is in the Infinity, imagine him in that WSR Beamer, it would also answer if he is better than Turks or not
Quote:
having said that let's see how will he [Sutton] pass other cars now that his super tight cornering advanatge is gone
Old 3 Aug 2020, 20:28 (Ref:3992777)   #9
SR18
Rookie

SR18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't think so. Brands GP has never been a RWD track has it? I would put my money on Cammish and Cook for this week
Old 3 Aug 2020, 20:37 (Ref:3992778)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
No, Brands GP has never really favoured the RWD cars. Not to say they won’t be competitive, just no big advantage from them
Old 3 Aug 2020, 22:24 (Ref:3992786)   #11
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder if Andrew Jordan will knock off some cobwebs and enter his Miglia? That race should be the highlight of the supports. They've got 56 entered! Presumably they aren't all on track together?
Old 4 Aug 2020, 06:50 (Ref:3992819)   #12
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
They've got 56 entered! Presumably they aren't all on track together?
Potentially, yes. One can start 46 saloons on the GP circuit, all of whom - obviously - need to practice. However, in practice, the maximum number of permitted cars increases by 20% in order to allow reserves the chance to qualify. As such, all entered cars could be on track during qualifying.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 09:12 (Ref:3992843)   #13
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Here's hoping Jake has a fit and healthy engine. The lad and the FK2 have always looked good at Brands.

Cookie I can see running well, ditto the Dynamics duo.

I reckon the BMWs will be solid rather than spectacular. And I can see Ash Sutton pushing too hard as I don't think the car and track will be as well suited as Donny - but what do I know?
Old 4 Aug 2020, 09:21 (Ref:3992847)   #14
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Here's hoping Jake has a fit and healthy engine. The lad and the FK2 have always looked good at Brands.

I reckon the BMWs will be solid rather than spectacular. And I can see Ash Sutton pushing too hard as I don't think the car and track will be as well suited as Donny - but what do I know?
Ash hinted recently that he is going to be 'robust' in his approach this season. He recognised that it might not endear him to the rest of the grid, but he will be adopting a glory or bust approach. I think we saw traces of that last weekend, and there will be more to come.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 09:49 (Ref:3992854)   #15
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Ash hinted recently that he is going to be 'robust' in his approach this season. He recognised that it might not endear him to the rest of the grid, but he will be adopting a glory or bust approach. I think we saw traces of that last weekend, and there will be more to come.
I've always thought of him as robust and elbows out.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 09:51 (Ref:3992855)   #16
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Yes, me too, but he generally (in my opinion) seems to keep just the right side of the line of what is acceptable.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 10:28 (Ref:3992862)   #17
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
He admitted that - and said he would be even more so this season.

An interesting tactic given the amount of drivers who have commented that they need to preserve their machinery with the condensed season.

Or is it just mind games to make other drivers wary of him when they see him in their mirrors.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 00:28 (Ref:3993044)   #18
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
MagicBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
LOL, you've yet to encounter him on iRacing then!
Old 4 Aug 2020, 10:21 (Ref:3992861)   #19
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
The car certainly appeared to be on the ragged edge, rather than just outright quick. I wonder how many of the others were going for what they could comfortably achieve and have a car for this weekend. Sutton was fortunate that his race 1 spin didn't result in more damage for himself and or others as they were fairly tightly packed at that point.
Other drivers may also choose to be more robust at certain points throughout the rest of the season.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 11:35 (Ref:3992872)   #20
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
The car certainly appeared to be on the ragged edge, rather than just outright quick. I wonder how many of the others were going for what they could comfortably achieve and have a car for this weekend. Sutton was fortunate that his race 1 spin didn't result in more damage for himself and or others as they were fairly tightly packed at that point.
Other drivers may also choose to be more robust at certain points throughout the rest of the season.
Ragged edge or set up to move around?
Old 4 Aug 2020, 11:50 (Ref:3992877)   #21
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Ragged edge or set up to move around?
Set up to have characteristics as close as possible to a title-winning RWD from 2017....
Old 4 Aug 2020, 11:51 (Ref:3992878)   #22
swooshiain
Racer

Scotland
swooshiain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sutton did seem to be pushing almost unnecessarily hard at times - it seems similar to Plato's old style of always push to the maximum, even if it means crashing going for 1st instead of settling for 2nd. It makes for exciting racing for sure, but I wonder how many times he'll come a cropper before having a re-think? Although aggression and risk-taking is a big part of what makes the BTCC so great to watch, the fact is that consistency, prudence and caution is usually the more successful strategy.

I suspect there's also an element of him wanting to silence people who said it was just the Subaru that made him so fast.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 17:32 (Ref:3992975)   #23
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

Cook will be carrying ballast though. Chilton should be faster.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 10:14 (Ref:3992858)   #24
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah, I’ve always seen him as a hard charger, which makes him exciting to watch, especially in cars that aren’t up to it, like the Scooby at times. At the same time, he very rarely steps over the mark. A modern tin top legend
Old 4 Aug 2020, 12:58 (Ref:3992905)   #25
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sutton and Turkington are great examples of totally different approaches. Ash is always giving 110% even if he is comfortably in the top 3 that could earn him good points but he'll always give everything to try and grab the win - even if it means crashing out.
Colin is more cautious, when he's second he'll try to catch the first but not at all costs and when he sees the chances are not great he settles for big points day.
I like Sutton's style, he's exciting to watch but I hope if he's got real chances for the title, he'll be thinking of banking points too.
Brands could be a test for Infiniti. I hope it's not another inconsistent car just like Subaru that needs 150% approach to do reasonable results.