Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum > MarshalsGuide.com

Old 7 Jun 2012, 14:14 (Ref:3086893)   #1
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spammers

I've just noticed another Spammer (Nikita2045) has appeared on the Wiki and left another random message. I know that when the Admin has time they do get dealt with, but wondered if this thread could be of use to flag them up if we see them. May just help a little.

Cheers,

Elliot.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 14:40 (Ref:3086902)   #2
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Elliot, I presume you took it out before letting Grant know?
seriously weird ramble...
Old 7 Jun 2012, 14:46 (Ref:3086909)   #3
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
No, I've not touched it at all. Was just posting up about it really. Has it disappeared now then?

I wouldn't do that to be honest until I'd spoken to the boss first.

Just checked and it's still there. Very odd one indeed.

Last edited by Red_08; 7 Jun 2012 at 14:48. Reason: Checked to see if it had gone.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 14:53 (Ref:3086913)   #4
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I just deleted it and blocked the user. Unfortunately with an "open" system we'll just have to keep eyes open.

Users should be able to "revert" changes but if a deletion, etc. needs done then just let me know. Either in this thread or by PM. I'll have a look and see if there's some sort of "Report This" button that could be implemented.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 15:30 (Ref:3086943)   #5
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wearing another hat I am involved in a number of Open Source Software projects. One of them had so many automated sign-up-then-spam (also known as "drive by edits") on the wiki that we had to lock the thing down and restrict who could edit and administer it.

That action sort of defeats the object of a wiki in the first place, but the devious people behind this stuff put content in which is then pulled in and included in botnet spam runs - it means they can command the bots under their control to pull in content and send it, rather than having to feed them by hand. We didn't like that, so took the only option we had available to us.

On the plus side, it has meant that we also no longer get edits made by new members which are fundamentally flawed, so we can all sit a bit easier at night
Old 7 Jun 2012, 15:35 (Ref:3086949)   #6
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it gets to be a significant problem then I'll look at a few options such as having people register on Tenths first, or put recaptchas all over the place to discourage edit 'bots.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 16:00 (Ref:3086959)   #7
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Thanks for looking into it. I'd noticed the other ones that had appeared and then you'd deleted. It'd be a shame for them to take over and hide the real stuff.

A "Report this" button would be good if possible. I don't want your inbox to fill up with reports of the Spam from many different users, so if we help police it, should we report them here for now or leave them to you to find and eliminate? I only ask because I wouldn't want to overstep the mark and becoming annoying lol.

Elliot.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3086966)   #8
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Feel free to report them here for now.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 18:16 (Ref:3088115)   #9
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WhelanRenfrow788 - something about online dating.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 18:42 (Ref:3088133)   #10
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
got it.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 20:04 (Ref:3088592)   #11
Tazman
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
Tazman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another spammer

‎Rifatovna2038 - eyecare this time