Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 10 Oct 2017, 20:40 (Ref:3773501)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wheels and Pedals

After about 14 years of (on and off) service, my trusty old Momo Force set up is starting to give me a few problems. I've been looking at a replacement and I've looked at the Logitech G25/27/29 variants and the Thrustmaster T300RS, but right now I can't see any reason to look beyond a new old stock or decent G25.

Observations from those who are more up to date with their simracing gear than me please! Steer me in the right direction! (Sorry )
Old 10 Oct 2017, 20:52 (Ref:3773506)   #2
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a G27 or even a Driving Force GT still hold up pretty well if you're lucky enough to find one. I used my DFGT for three(I think?) years before a pedal fault (which could probably have been fixed, to be honest) nudged me into looking for an upgrade. I've had the T300RS Alcantara for about a year now and despite reading about reliability issues, (touch wood) I've had no problems at all. This version comes with the upgraded pedal set, so there's a clutch pedal and an included brake pedal 'mod' which improves braking feel by about 1000%. To me it's as good as it gets without upgrading to a much more expensive load cell pedal set.

So, yeah. I'd have still been using my DFGT if it had remained healthy, but I can totally recommend the T300RS if you want to splash out a little.
Old 10 Oct 2017, 20:57 (Ref:3773508)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So Bill, that's the upgraded 'GT' T300RS? I've read (somewhere, SMRZ I think) that the pedals were really quite poorly made and people are using an adaptor (bizarrely available from Thurstmaster - and elsewhere) to use G25 pedals with it. That's one of the reasons why I was thinking of the G25 even though it's not the latest kit. As long as it works well, I don't care that it's not cutting edge. To be honest, if I could find a new Momo Force, I'd buy that! There are new old stock 25s and 27's on the 'bay.....
Old 11 Oct 2017, 00:19 (Ref:3773544)   #4
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
I'm not up to date with all the variants to be honest - AFAIK the base is the same but it has the 599XX replica wheel and the T3PA pedals, aka the one with the clutch. The big benefit over the DFGT for me was the smoother FFB, as the DFGT is gear driven and the T300RS is belt driven - but then, I think the G25/G27s are belt-driven as well.

Haven't heard of people having to use old pedals though, doesn't sound good! Again, it's only one review but the T3PAs I have have been faultless, for one year or thereabouts of not daily, but several times a week racing on Assetto and iRacing.

When I was looking for a new wheel, all the old Logitech stuff I could find 2nd hand was at a massively inflated price which was part of why I decided to just spend a bit more for a brand new set.

Last edited by Adam43; 11 Oct 2017 at 06:06. Reason: Post that had been quoted was removed.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 10:38 (Ref:3773630)   #5
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hey Ayse,

I'm quite heavily addicted to iRacing these days so have had a few different wheels over the last few years.

I currently have a Thrustmaster TX, which is the one that is compatible with Xbox One as well as PC as I want(ed) the option to possibly play the Forzas of this world, but to be honest I think I've only ever hooked it up once to the Xbox. PC all the way. I've had it nearly 2 years and use it 3-4 times a week and it's held up so far (it will break now I've said that).

I've gone from G25, G27, TX and all have been absoultely fine.

I replaced the G25 with the G27 only because the 25 was getting a bit long in the tooth and I wanted to replace it before it died. There happened to be a deal going so made a pre-emptive purchase. The G27 was a little bit quieter.

Again the TX was for the Xbox support, and the inter-changeable wheel rims are nice so I've also picked up the F1 add-on along the way. Compared to the Logitech stuff the standard pedals are a bit pants though, and so I've also upgraded to a set of T3PAs. Also you don't get a gear shifter as standard..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post
- ...but then, I think the G25/G27s are belt-driven as well.
Hey Bill, the G25/27/29 are all gear driven, but the Thrustmasters are belt and was the deciding factor for me between the TX and the G920 (which is the Xbox One-compatible G29 variant). The belt drive is much more smooth and less 'notchy' than gear-driven, but it's really splitting hairs and never bothered me at all when I was using them.

Long story short I will be carrying on with Thrustmaster for now, but you can't really go wrong with any of the Logitech G's

Last edited by Spudgun; 11 Oct 2017 at 10:48. Reason: Edited after reading previous posts properly :)
Old 11 Oct 2017, 13:47 (Ref:3773678)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is one thing you need to consider here and it's one I will be looking at when my trusty G25 finally dies.

Custom or shelf!

Fanatec are probably the best off the shelf, but a full system from them with a shifter is upwards of a grand, but it is top drawer.

And with Logitech now, the G series you have to buy the gear lever separately, but with 25 and 27 it came with, a massive con!!!

Don't know as much about Thrustmaster, my uncle has one and the flappy paddles stayed on the boss, not moved with the wheel which really annoyed me! But its a lovely wheel.

if you use it a lot go Fanatec, its worth it.

If you use it a fair bit Thrustmaster or Logitech, but maybe even look second hand.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 15:33 (Ref:3773708)   #7
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun View Post
Hey Bill, the G25/27/29 are all gear driven,
Aha, shows what I know! Cheers for that. It is a subtle difference, especially when you're focused on the racing, but the lack of 'notchiness' is certainly nice.

Chunder, flappy paddles on my Thrustmaster are mounted to the wheel.

Lack of a shifter is something I forgot to mention. Even the silly little sequential on the DFGT provided a little more immersion (heaps better than the little shifter buttons on the back of the wheel for sure) and it is a shame to have a clutch pedal at my feet but only paddles to change gear with. Combining the two feels...peculiar.

I've been considering this:

http://www.shiftershh.com/en/

...to fill the void, but the waiting time is long and I haven't gotten around to it yet. Reviews are all good that I've seen, though.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 17:31 (Ref:3773724)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Thanks a lot guys. Chunder, I've looked at Fanatec (who wouldn't!) but the price is way beyond me. I shall ponder a little longer, the Momo is still just holding up and my Missus has offered to buy me a new set up (price within reason ) for Xmas!
Old 11 Oct 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3773737)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun View Post
Hey Ayse,

I'm quite heavily addicted to iRacing these days....
By the way, long time no speak Spud! I've even found a video of one of our TTFRL races buried in my GPL replays........
Old 4 Nov 2017, 12:56 (Ref:3778528)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well in the end, despite reading a lot which told me I probably shouldn't, I went for the G29 as it was on offer at Currys and the missus told me not to come back without one!

And I like it - a lot.

The wheel is terrific, although a little noisier than I expected. But very smooth. I like my FF very light and it took me a while to tune it to my liking.

But the hardest part has been the pedals, specifically the brake pedal. I've never used pedals with that kind of resistance before and I was skittering off all over the place. Now I've got a bit more used to them, I feel rather more comfortable and consistent.

I got the shifter with it for free but haven't bothered with it yet. I've never used a shifter before and as I've never had much truck with the 'reality police' approach, I'm not sure I shall worry too much about it. The important thing is that I'm still having a lot of fun!

Anyone want to buy a 'spares or repair' Logitech Momo Force Limited Edition Red.....?
Old 5 Nov 2017, 00:28 (Ref:3778657)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Depebds what game you use it with shifter wise

Might aswell not bother with AC as in the h pattern cars you HAVE to use the clutuch mostyl and if you struggle with heel and toe as I do you wont get anywhere.

But most games allow several change options when you can blip like you can in RF

it does make the games fun