Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old Yesterday, 21:21 (Ref:4007703)   #256
WyldStallion
Rookie

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Sorry, NASCAR went there. If you’d like to complain about who did what NASCAR management held the press conferences, called him, reported it to the local authorities and made the big deal. Neither he nor his team did that. Please get your facts straight before you start blaming people
I'll give you the point about NASCAR "going there" for sure. Bubba did not defuse it. Got to admit that.
Old Yesterday, 21:24 (Ref:4007705)   #257
WyldStallion
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Stages to me damage racing strategy and take an element of interest away. Previously tyres going away meant pit. Or maybe you strategically pitted to try and get the jump on other teams. A lot of that is gone, way fewer strategic green flag pitstops - they don't make sense, ease up on your worn tyres and wait for the stage end caution - pretty much a no brainer unless the wheels are literally coming off of your wagon. I'd ditch stages in a heartbeat if it were me running the show.

I don't like playoffs/ the chase either. True, we don't know who might be champion. But also true is the #4 Harvick totally in my eyes deserve it. It would be a tragedy if he didn't win. Similarly back in 2018 when Harvick, Busch and Truex were in a class of their own pretty much the whole season - only for Joey Logano to gain the title with a win at Homestead. Full season, total the points up, chap with the most wins is what it should be.
1. Agree about the problem with stages. Great examples of why its bad.

2. Yes, Winston Cup was like this and nobody complained then. But after Winston Cup ended, the mentality changed. For some reason in 2003 people started to complain about Matt Kenseth dominated the points and they changed the rules.
Old Yesterday, 21:33 (Ref:4007706)   #258
WyldStallion
Rookie

If you have not figured it out already. I LOVED Nascar Winston Cup in the 1990's. But it pretty much died for me roughly between Earnhardt's death in 2001 Daytona 500 and the end of 2003 when they abandoned the season long championship. Only active drivers left from the 2001 Daytona 500 are Kurt Busch and Matt Kenseth. And Kenseth is probably going to re-retire again soon perhaps?

Since then I have not watched it at all. Although a place like this and David Land's youtube channel allows for great discussion and for me nostalga of a glorious now from long ago.
Old Yesterday, 22:16 (Ref:4007710)   #259
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, I pretty sure Matt Kenseth is back off into retirement having kept the #42 seat warm. I think he had wins left in him when Gibbs forced him out for Jones, but the layoff has probably dulled his senses and hard to get back into the swing of things.

Hadn't realised 'til you said it that only he and Kurt still around from the Winston days... dang, makes me feel a little older. Kurt is ageing well mind!
Old Today, 01:41 (Ref:4007722)   #260
WyldStallion
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Yeah, I pretty sure Matt Kenseth is back off into retirement having kept the #42 seat warm. I think he had wins left in him when Gibbs forced him out for Jones, but the layoff has probably dulled his senses and hard to get back into the swing of things.

Hadn't realised 'til you said it that only he and Kurt still around from the Winston days... dang, makes me feel a little older. Kurt is ageing well mind!
Worth mentioning that the 2002 Daytona 500 was the first for still active drivers Kevin Harvick, Jimmie Johnson, and Ryan Newman.