Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 May 2002, 22:03 (Ref:282877)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
STCC premiere @ Mantorp Park

Mantorp Qualifying
STCC 11/05/02

The Reigning Champion Roberto Colciago took pole today (Saturday) at Mantorp Park. He out qualified Janne "Flash" Nilsson with only 0.005 seconds! Colciago drives an Audi A4 Quattro and "Flash" a Volvo S40, just as the last season. Tomas Engström took third place in his new and very fast Honda Accord. Tomas was only 0.034 seconds behind Colciago. Nicklas Karlsson took fourth place in his Vauxhall Vectra making it four different makes in the top four places. Volvo-new comer Edward Sandström rounded out the top five in his Volvo S40. Stay tuned for full coverage of the STCC premiere at Mantorp Park tomorrow!

Mantorp Park Qualifying

1 Roberto Colciago Audi A4 Quattro 1:19.198
2 Jan Nilsson Volvo S40 +0.005
3 Tomas Engström Honda Accord +0.034
4 Nicklas Karlsson Vauxhall Vectra +0.185
5 Edward Sandström Volvo S40 +0.307
6 Jan Lindblom Vauxhall Vectra +0.647
7 Tobias Johansson Audi A4 +0.692
8 Tommy Kristoffersson Audi A4 +0.895
9 Mattias Andersson Opel Vectra +1.152
10 Magnus Krokström Volvo S40 +1.274
11 Marius Erlandsen Audi A4 +2.166
12 Anders Hammer Audi A4 +2.188

Johan Meissner
johan@meissner.se
Old 12 May 2002, 12:00 (Ref:283183)   #2
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This series just gets better and better. The times are so close. The STCC should be broadcast outside Sweden.

I think we will see a real battle for the title. Colciago won't have it all his own way.

Watch out for Magnus Krokstrom and Jan Lindblom.
Old 12 May 2002, 18:21 (Ref:283923)   #3
f2001
Racer

f2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame theres only 12 cars this season
Old 12 May 2002, 19:01 (Ref:283981)   #4
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mantorp Race One & Two
STCC 12/05/02

Mantorp Park Race One

Roberto Colciago held his poleposition from start to finish and took the first victory of the season. Janne "Flash" Nilsson followed him home in second place and with Tomas Engström in third. Though Engström held second place in the race for a while. As the lights went to green Engström made a better start than Nilsson enabling him to get up in to second place. Though Nilsson had none of it and took the outside of the first corner which gave the inside for the next corner. Nilsson was again back in second place.

As the field came out from the chicane and out on the long main straight Engström used his superior Honda engine, which undoubtedly is the strongest in the field, and could drag past Nilsson. Flash didn't seem to have the pace at the beginning of the race. Colciago and Engström pulled away in the front while Nicklas Karlsson closed up from behind. In fact, after only a few laps Karlsson managed to get past Nilsson coming in to the last corner of the lap. Though Karlsson went wide in the coming corner and Nilsson was again in third place.

As the race progressed things happened. A thunderstorm went close by the track area making it coming, not much but little, rain on the track. This seemed to help the Audi's with their 4WD as Colciago pulled away and his mate Kristoffersson was making up ground quickly from behind. Engström seemed to loose pace quickly, Nilsson went past him and started to pull away. After the race Engström reported that he didn't want to push that hard when the rain came as Engström hasn't made that many laps in rain with his Honda.

At the same time as Nilsson went past Engström the race was over for Nilsson's team mate Edward Sandström. His rear right tyre exploded and Edwards cruised slowly in to the pits. The Vauxhall boys didn't have any luck either. Karlsson was well up at one stage behind Nilsson though as the race progressed both Karlsson and Lindblom in the other Vectra dropped several places. The fastest lap was set by Roberto Colciago, and the time was 1:19.636. Stay tuned for the second race, with pitstop, which starts at 15.20 (EST).

Mantorp Park Race One

1 Roberto Colciago Audi A4 12 laps
2 Jan "Flash" Nilsson Volvo S40 +4.888
3 Tomas Engström Honda Accord +11.344
4 Tommy Kristoffersson Audi A4 +13.815
5 Tobias Johansson Audi A4 +22.601
6 Jan Lindblom Vauxhall Vectra +23.659
7 Nicklas Karlsson Vauxhall Vectra +24.270
8 Mattias Andersson Opel Vectra +30.349
9 Magnus Krokström Volvo S40 +34.240
10 Anders Hammer Audi A4 +35.218
11 Marius Erlandsen Audi A4 +1:00.482

Mantorp Park Race Two

Edward Sandström managed to turn his DNF from the first race to a win in the second race. And this was his second STCC race ever. Though Edward didn't get it easy, the action was great during the second race. Roberto Colciago had poleposition since he had the fastest lap in the first race, but as the lights went to green Tomas Engström roared past in his Honda Accord. Though Colciago was quick to respond and retook the lead fast. That enabled Flash to squeeze past Engström as he lost momentum.

Just as the last race Engström made the most of his extra power and could just drive past Flash on the long straight. Engström now had his sight set on Colciago. Mean while a big fight between the two Volvo drivers developed. Sandström was behind Flash but was very hot on getting past his team mate. And with a quite rough move Edward made his way past Flash after only a few laps. As the two Volvo drivers fought Engström was getting closer and closer to Colciago.

And the straight was really the place for the Honda today. After some laps of fighting Engström managed to get a great exit on to the long straight and roared past Colciago and in to the lead. The order was then Honda-Audi-Volvo-Volvo-Audi with Tommy Kristoffersson rounding out top five. Edward Sandström was the first driver to enter the pits of the top drivers. The Volvo team pulled off a great pitstop despite that Edward stalled the engine. And it was here Sandström secured his victory. Even though both Flash and Engström made good pitstops Edward was well ahead.

Colciago waited until the very last lap that the driver is allowed to pit. The Audi team made a great pitstop. Colciago went out on the track at the very same time as Edward came roaring down the start/finish straight. Colciago came out ahead, but Edward was able to get ahead since he had a few more laps where he could get up the temperature in his tyres. Edward held the lead over the finish line despite a hard effort, especially in the closing laps, from Colciago to over take him. The race was over and the order over the line was Sandström-Colciago-Engström-Flash-Kristoffersson.

Mantorp Park Race Two

1 Edward Sandström Volvo S40 20 laps
2 Roberto Colciago Audi A4 +0.421
3 Tomas Engström Honda Accord +4.030
4 Jan "Flash" Nilsson Volvo S40 +4.730
5 Tommy Kristoffersson Audi A4 +15.752
6 Tobias Johansson Audi A4 +17.402
7 Jan Lindblom Vauxhall Vectra +20.513
8 Magnus Krokström Volvo S40 +38.924
9 Maruis Erlandsen Audi A4 +55.342
10 Nicklas Karlsson Vauxhall Vectra +1 lap

Johan Meissner
Old 13 May 2002, 11:46 (Ref:284920)   #5
Michael H
Racer

I was critical of the selection of Sandstrom over Edman at the season's beginning, but now it looks like Volvo have got another new 'Rydell' on their books.

Nilsson has done well too. Also two very strong results from privateer Krokstrom.

An excellent STCC season is ahead.
Old 13 May 2002, 18:38 (Ref:285424)   #6
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if that privateer team with the 850 or 960 will ever come out to race again? It would be cool to see those cars. Hey JMeissner, do you have pictures of the 960 anywhere?
Old 13 May 2002, 19:11 (Ref:285473)   #7
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Didn't I send you those?
Old 14 May 2002, 00:34 (Ref:285794)   #8
Michael H
Racer

Surely there are more S40's that could take to the track in the STCC? Where are Andreas Bostrom and Fredrik Sundberg??

Has anyone got a photo of Bostrom's car?
Old 14 May 2002, 22:50 (Ref:286746)   #9
kmchow
Veteran

Nope, I did not receive any pics JMeissner. I'm still waitng patiently for those pictures! =)

I believe the other S40s are for sale. Though for $50-60K US minimum, I'm not too sure if anyone could afford them. And even if they could afford them, how much longer can the cars be used. Unless the STCC decides to run for several more years using ST cars in order to let the number of used BTCC/ETCC cars build up to significant levels, viable to run a STCC?
Old 15 May 2002, 07:38 (Ref:286984)   #10
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Really kmchow?? I have a clear memory of sending those pictures and getting a response of them. Or was that to Michael? Am I getting senile?

There are very strong indications that STCC will swich to ETCC rules next year but still allowing ST cars to compete. It is not very likely that any manufacturer will be interested in running a old ST car yet another year in Sweden...
Old 15 May 2002, 18:52 (Ref:287523)   #11
kmchow
Veteran

JMeissner wrote:

>Really kmchow?? I have a clear memory of sending those >pictures and getting a response of them. Or was that to >Michael? Am I getting senile?
>
Or perhaps it's me? But if I'm really senile, please send me the pics again! Perhaps that will refresh my memory!

>It is not very likely that any manufacturer will be >interested in running a old ST car yet another year in >Sweden...
>
I was debating that myself. Would the ETCC rules be "cheap" enough that STCC importers and manufacturers would build cars just for the STCC? Are would they wait until more used cars were available? I am assuming there are privateers are interested in buying the cars for the ETCC. Would STCC teams have to fight to get enough cars on the grid.

As well, another year of racing the ST cars would mean another year for teams to help financially amortize(depreciate??) their current ST cars/investment?
Old 16 May 2002, 11:56 (Ref:287980)   #12
Michael H
Racer

I received the photos. If I was to pass them on to others, then I didn't. I apologise for creating any problems.
Old 16 May 2002, 18:14 (Ref:288251)   #13
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
No, you don't need to apologise. I didn't say anything about passing them on. But if you could send them on to kmchow I would be very glad!
Old 17 May 2002, 02:24 (Ref:288516)   #14
kmchow
Veteran

Did someone say STCC 960 picture??? Please email me at:
kmchow@telus.net then! ;-) I can't wait!!!