Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 7 Jun 2021, 12:26 (Ref:4055110)   #726
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Only two months to go, the ACO have some tough decision making to do. I’m sure they will make one before it’s too late, but they do seem to be between a rock and a hard place atm
Old 7 Jun 2021, 12:32 (Ref:4055112)   #727
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
If the ACO has another year of little or no money it might not be around for 2022, Same goes for the local area, if as suggested only locals are allowed to attend then that will do little for the finances of either the ACO or le mans, and if you take that one step further and stop anyone but locals from taking part then the race will be of no interest to anyone. Sooner or later things must open up and as covid appears to represents a fraction of 1% of deaths in europe then surely people should look at things that are much higher of the list of deaths, perhaps a ban on old age should be introduced in europe. Only kidding but what has happened to optimism in you lot i suspect sandwich board with "the end is nigh" are becoming normal dress for some of you. Never let hope vanish it may be all we have
Old 7 Jun 2021, 13:14 (Ref:4055121)   #728
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just speculating on what considerations you have to have if organising a massive international event. And wondering how different constraints may influence the thinking.

Hopefully the constraints are small, the number of people are high and as many as possible get the chance. That goes without saying.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 13:58 (Ref:4055137)   #729
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The big question (like last year) is whether to sign up for a ACO membership in the next day or so - knowing you might literally be chucking that money out of the window...

There was a report the other day saying the French would let in double jabbed UK visitors (with an additional negative test) without the "compelling reason" stipulation.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lly-vaccinated

I can see both sides for the ACO in local vs international but the one thing they do have in their favour is a hell of a grid in the coming years. Some forumers might take an exclusion or sorts badly and say they won't return - but they will. Everyone will.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 14:26 (Ref:4055143)   #730
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Some forumers might take an exclusion or sorts badly and say they won't return - but they will. Everyone will.

Old 7 Jun 2021, 14:30 (Ref:4055145)   #731
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
An optimistic and realistic assessment.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 14:36 (Ref:4055147)   #732
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Interesting to look at that map. Despite the 'Indian Variant', France seems to be significantly worse off than the UK right now.

I applaud Simon's optimism (as I have for many months now), but if the event had been in France right now (as it should have been), there is no way I would have travelled - even if allowed.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 15:00 (Ref:4055151)   #733
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Interesting to look at that map. Despite the 'Indian Variant', France seems to be significantly worse off than the UK right now.

I applaud Simon's optimism (as I have for many months now), but if the event had been in France right now (as it should have been), there is no way I would have travelled - even if allowed.
I'm afraid Europe as a whole is suffering quite badly with this variant. Not sure it came from the UK but I think the bigger problem is the need for tests before and after traveling back to the UK together with quarantine for 10days. Anyone who is employed is unlikely to want to travel.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 15:13 (Ref:4055153)   #734
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well i have had both jabs, am retired and live alone so for me can't see a problem in going. Plus i want something to look forward to
Old 7 Jun 2021, 15:41 (Ref:4055155)   #735
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well i have had both jabs, am retired and live alone so for me can't see a problem in going. Plus i want something to look forward to
Indeed, but the point may be that people like you are in the minority so unless the ACO has joint ventured with SAGA I can't see that many takers from the UK.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 15:57 (Ref:4055165)   #736
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well by august over 50% of uk population will have had both jabs and most are desperate to do some sort of holiday so i think the take up from the uk might be quite good
Old 7 Jun 2021, 16:05 (Ref:4055169)   #737
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm, as I said unless the return restrictions are lifted anyone working, which no doubt makes up the majority of spectators, will avoid this year. Just look at the exodus from Portugal today.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 16:07 (Ref:4055170)   #738
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think we're past 50% double jabs already, and 75% single jabs.

There is certainly plenty of demand from the UK for LM24 tickets, but I could understand the ACO looking to avoid sales to non-Schengen nations if they have to limit numbers.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 16:08 (Ref:4055172)   #739
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The main point for anyone waning to travel from the UK is what traffic light our government set. Anything other than green means you cannot get insurance and it is a condition of entry into France that you have adequate insurance. I have friends (really ?) who were due to go to their property in Brittany at the end of the week, but cannot go as their insurance says no. Car insurance are fine but not health insurance.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 16:12 (Ref:4055175)   #740
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Good point Sean.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 16:24 (Ref:4055182)   #741
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well things do not stay the same for long and very doubtful the current restrictions will be te same in 2 weeks let alone 2 months
Old 7 Jun 2021, 16:27 (Ref:4055184)   #742
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That is the potential saving grace. But we were saying similar things last year in June/July with the prospect of a September race. I suspect that most of us thought when the date was changed we had a very good chance of being there in September. Things have obviously moved on a heck of a lot with vaccination but we're far from being out of the woods yet.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 16:49 (Ref:4055187)   #743
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Agreed but at some time things must change and hopefully before the damage done to the things we all want to happen have gone so far that they are beyond repair.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 17:12 (Ref:4055191)   #744
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If the fully vaccinated people don’t end up in hospital with the new variant, then that is an encouraging step
Old 7 Jun 2021, 17:34 (Ref:4055195)   #745
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Agreed but at some time things must change and hopefully before the damage done to the things we all want to happen have gone so far that they are beyond repair.
Well, we do hope that things will be able to change. Le Mans will carry on and 2022 and 2023 could well be the years to savour. Le Mans is a long way from being beyond repair.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 18:04 (Ref:4055200)   #746
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was said last weekend that the 40% capacity of the Indy 500 was the largest sporting gathering since the pandemic began. If Le Mans runs at 50% capacity, it will beat that, won't it?

I just cannot see the French government allowing that to happen. It sounds like a super-spreading event waiting to happen, and the risk/reward politically is too much of a gamble.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 18:28 (Ref:4055203)   #747
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
50%, roughly 125,000? No, I don't see that happening at all. Far more difficult to manage the 'site' as well. I assume that the 'villages' concept is likely to raise it's head again. I just don't see, say, 50k having the freedom to roam such a huge circuit in anything like the normal fashion.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 18:32 (Ref:4055205)   #748
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well they are talking about a maximum of 50k so that is well down on capacity and unlike an oval circuit they will be spread across a very large area. Events are happening and the world is beginning to open up, but perhaps in a different way to how it was before.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 18:34 (Ref:4055207)   #749
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes, it's true that they do have a lot more space to spread people out. But bear in mind that a substantial proportion of those who attend each year don't wander all that much further than the area of the paddock and the grandstands/trubunes, the issue will be how the ACO manage to achieve that spread....
Old 7 Jun 2021, 18:49 (Ref:4055209)   #750
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yes, it's true that they do have a lot more space to spread people out. But bear in mind that a substantial proportion of those who attend each year don't wander all that much further than the area of the paddock and the grandstands/trubunes, the issue will be how the ACO manage to achieve that spread....
My one and only Le Mans was 2019 and that was BY FAR the most crowded motor racing event I have been at, including the Silverstone F1 GP. The grandstands are small and packed. Moving around during the first few hours is a densely packed shuffle. Fans are 5 deep around some of the fences. There's little space on the grass banks. I found it very uncomfortable even then - as of now, it is inconceivable that the authorities will allow it.

(Edited to add - I know you and the other LM veterans here know this, just adding to your point for those who may not have had the direct experience)

Last edited by Anyopenroad; 7 Jun 2021 at 19:02.