Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

View Poll Results: Who's going to win Le Mans?
Bentley (Kristensen/Capello/Smith) 18 29.51%
Bentley (Herbert/Brabham/Blundell) 18 29.51%
Audi Sport UK 10 16.39%
Champion Racing 7 11.48%
Audi Sport Team Goh 2 3.28%
JML Team Panoz 0 0%
Jim Matthews Racing 2 3.28%
Other 4 6.56%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Feb 2003, 09:51 (Ref:505259)   #51
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i don't know whether theres any math that can be written down to explain saleens theory...but technically or untechnically if you want, using the monkey/typewriter/works of shakespeare rule - a gts/gt car could win le mans.

of course it'll never happen though..
Old 13 Feb 2003, 19:08 (Ref:505654)   #52
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Of course a GT/GTS car could win Le Mans. But we all know the reality is that unless

a) all the top class cars retire or are severely delayed, or
b) the ACO make dramatic changes to the rules doing away with the top class cars (and I have to say, over my dead body....)

it aint gonna happen! And there isn't any mathematical formula that I'm aware of that's going to give you any kind of odds on what would be a complete fluke result.

But I respect Saleen's right to disagree with me
Old 14 Feb 2003, 18:31 (Ref:506754)   #53
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Of course a GT/GTS car could win Le Mans. But we all know the reality is that unless

a) all the top class cars retire or are severely delayed, or
b) the ACO make dramatic changes to the rules doing away with the top class cars (and I have to say, over my dead body....)

it aint gonna happen! And there isn't any mathematical formula that I'm aware of that's going to give you any kind of odds on what would be a complete fluke result.

But I respect Saleen's right to disagree with me
Even if I'm agree, I'd like to point again the 1979 victory of the Porsche 935, and the good 2001 place of the first GT... still far from the lead, anyway...
Old 14 Feb 2003, 20:22 (Ref:506866)   #54
Sean Crockett
Racer

Wales
South Wales (UK)
Sean Crockett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Do they have a 2002 specs car, or a 2001 ? Last year : reliablity problems... remember they were third overall after 3 hours or around, if I can remember... 't was not so bad. Certainly a not enough homogeneous team last year, but... well, I won't bet on them, but a very good outsider indeed...
Perhaps I was a little harsh on Team Goh, but I really think they should have done better with an Audi last year. The car should really have been up with the Dome, MG's & Bentley; I'm sure Champion or the SJ's Gulf Audi's would have been pushing for a podium.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 13:48 (Ref:507573)   #55
Brant
Rookie

Brant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone think the MG675 has a shot?
Old 15 Feb 2003, 14:05 (Ref:507588)   #56
Sean Crockett
Racer

Wales
South Wales (UK)
Quote:
Originally posted by Brant
Does anyone think the MG675 has a shot?
I'd like to think so, but no-one has got them to run as well as the 'Works' cars, so KnightHawk will really have a job on their hands. MG could really have had a real go this year, but like Cadillac, they've probably blown their best chance with the 'Works' Audi's missing.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 15:13 (Ref:507637)   #57
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Sean - I think you shall see Dyson run circles around the works folks this year. Dyson will likely be pretty competitive for an overall at some point in time during the ALMS schedule. Just my opinion.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 08:21 (Ref:509265)   #58
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Crockett
Perhaps I was a little harsh on Team Goh, but I really think they should have done better with an Audi last year. The car should really have been up with the Dome, MG's & Bentley; I'm sure Champion or the SJ's Gulf Audi's would have been pushing for a podium.

Bearing in mind the drivers they had on board, I tend to agree.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 08:23 (Ref:509267)   #59
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Crockett
I'd like to think so, but no-one has got them to run as well as the 'Works' cars, so KnightHawk will really have a job on their hands. MG could really have had a real go this year, but like Cadillac, they've probably blown their best chance with the 'Works' Audi's missing.

Thats an interesting thought. Should Caddy have kept going for one more year to make hay while the Audi "window" exists? A bit like Toyota dropping out in 2000 - a huge mistake (but then they had already been led astray by the Great F1 God.......).
Old 20 Feb 2003, 23:21 (Ref:512943)   #60
Sean Crockett
Racer

Wales
South Wales (UK)
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Thats an interesting thought. Should Caddy have kept going for one more year to make hay while the Audi "window" exists? A bit like Toyota dropping out in 2000 - a huge mistake (but then they had already been led astray by the Great F1 God.......).

Well I'm sure both Cadillac & Toyota went to Le Mans to win, not to have a glorious failure against Porsche, BMW, Audi etc. If I were a marketing man I'd say go for a win against the weakest opposition!!
Old 21 Feb 2003, 07:50 (Ref:513165)   #61
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, that makes sense to me!
Old 21 Feb 2003, 09:34 (Ref:513226)   #62
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
still...now max and bernie have created a new series "formula fun"...toyota will get that podium they're spending the gnp of a small country trying to achieve!

is there really an "audi window"? i'm not convinced...yet.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 11:56 (Ref:513319)   #63
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it will be an Audi..... or maybe one of those green Audi's

Saleen has a point..... while I'd be a fool to put money on a GT/GTS car winning 2003 Le Mans, I'm not sure I'd bet against it happening before 2010. Who knows how the rules will change, which teams and manufacturers will enter which class and how much a factor reliability will be.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 13:04 (Ref:513367)   #64
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, I suppose I really meant "Works Audi window". It remains to be seen just how competitive the "privateers" will be. They will run at the front for sure but my suspicions are that they won't prove to be as bombproof as the works cars have been for the last 3 years.

Suspicions? Maybe I should rephrase that as "hopes"

And I still say that unless we have a mass pull-out of major manufacturers in the LMP classes, there is no GTS/GT overall victory on the horizon. No matter how much some would like to see it (and its obvious I'm not one of them!).
Old 21 Feb 2003, 14:51 (Ref:513455)   #65
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
This 2003 could really be open : there will be no team race for the Audis... a real advantage for Bentley team... but the 'window' will be opened shortly...

Our hopes could be elsewhere : why not coming back of other factories ? Porsche couldn't be far from endurance too long... and I've got great expectations from Japan...
Old 21 Feb 2003, 15:03 (Ref:513460)   #66
kdr
Veteran

i found an old old link with a story i hadn't seen before. a honda entry rumoured?
Old 21 Feb 2003, 16:16 (Ref:513506)   #67
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
i found an old old link with a story i hadn't seen before. a honda entry rumoured?
Yes, for the motorcycle race in April

Ahem, huh... sorry

Last edited by Fab; 21 Feb 2003 at 16:17.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 16:55 (Ref:513523)   #68
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the two works MG's split between two team plus two privateer chassis (Assuming they are all granted entry) I think that Bently and Audi should keeping a very close eye on their mirrors....
Old 21 Feb 2003, 17:55 (Ref:513571)   #69
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MGF
With the two works MG's split between two team plus two privateer chassis (Assuming they are all granted entry)
RML,Uncle Hugh and Dyson will both do a good job and if they get in they will give the Bentley's and Audi's a good run for there money.
Old 22 Feb 2003, 10:33 (Ref:514038)   #70
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Originally posted by MGF
With the two works MG's split between two team plus two privateer chassis (Assuming they are all granted entry) I think that Bently and Audi should keeping a very close eye on their mirrors....
At least in the first hours : still waiting for a 24 hours performance at this level for the MGs... and I'd like to see them them match !
Old 23 Feb 2003, 14:09 (Ref:514783)   #71
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
has an MG ever undertaken a 24hr test? Or a Dome, privateer Audi, Saleen or Prodrive Ferrari, for that matter?

Also, what are the 'operational' differences between works and privateer Audis? Do they rev as high? Are components 'lifed' as strictly as on a works operation?Will they have access to the works Audi pitstop technology/organisation? Has there been any development work undertaken whatsoever? I think punctures might shake these up a little.
Old 23 Feb 2003, 14:22 (Ref:514786)   #72
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
No, in ur opinion Spa isnt the best 24hr race, in mine it is. And as Ive said before maths proves a GTS car has a chance of winning Le Mans outright - anything that moves has a chance of winning Le Mans outright, the Spyker could win Le Mans outright even.

U have ur opinion on things, and I will have mine. The Spa 24hrs in my eyes cant be a bad race if they pull in 107,000 ppl and each year they get more and more...
I agree with Saleen here, maybe just because of the fact that i'm Belgian that i place Spa above Le Mans...

Spa is a better and relatively more natural track than the fabricated Le Mans one IMHO
Old 23 Feb 2003, 14:48 (Ref:514797)   #73
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Taking off my "GPL hat" and replacing it with my "Sportscar/GT Moderator's hat", ®îjñtjûh, you're comments are nearly enough for me to ban you!

Seriously, I can't comment on the Spa 24 hours as I've never been there, but 17 visits to Le Mans (consecutive) tell me you're wrong.....
Old 23 Feb 2003, 18:47 (Ref:515039)   #74
kdr
Veteran

completely unbiased as ever ayse

you'll be telling us next the toyota gt-one doesn't hold a candle next to an audi r8!
Old 23 Feb 2003, 20:04 (Ref:515190)   #75
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see the Courage or one of the LM675 cars win..but would be very surprised if one of the Audis or Bentleys didn't win..

Last edited by dretceterini; 23 Feb 2003 at 20:05.