Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Jul 2005, 02:33 (Ref:1348402)   #1
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dalziel has a ride in Champ Car

AR1 is reporting that Ryan Dalziel will be racing for Dale Coyne Racing this weekend.

Last edited by macdaddy; 6 Jul 2005 at 03:19. Reason: Plagieurism?
Old 6 Jul 2005, 02:53 (Ref:1348407)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow I'm quiet surprised. Is Tarso or Richardo going to be sitting out? Perhaps Coyne can't find anyone who has enough money to do the rest of the season, but they can find a bunch of people who have enough money to do one race?
Old 6 Jul 2005, 03:34 (Ref:1348420)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
It's Toronto, for crying-out-loud!
Next up? Edmonton!

OWRS should have made sure that Valiante had (at least) the next two rides.
Let Dalziel replace him (if needed) anytime thereafter.

What if PT bolts to NASCAR? Given that situation, this would be ChampCar's last-ditch effort to solidify their current Canadian fanbase.

Certainly not a knock on Dalziel, but the timing just isn't right. I know I mentioned that in another thread just as Marques was being announced. And Snrub mentioned elsewhere that "Ranger-Mania" hasn't swept over this country yet.

If the "OW" in "OWRS" stood for "macdaddy", then you'd better believe that there would be a Canadian in that seat come Friday morning.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 05:47 (Ref:1348484)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tarso said his Cleveland drive was a one-off, so I'd assume it's in that car.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 11:02 (Ref:1348660)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Both Valiente and Dalziel have been waiting ages for a decent drive in ChampCars, and while I'm pleased that a fellow Brit is on the grid, I agree that Valiente should have been guaranteed the Canadian races, with OWRS footing the bill if neccessary. The onyld efence would be if Ryan is signed for the whole seaosn and has the appropriate funding in place, but event hen it's a ptiy for Valiente's many fans.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1348690)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
...team owner Dale Coyne stated only that he’s "looking forward to running Ryan in Toronto and seeing what develops from there."
SpeedTV Article
Old 6 Jul 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1348850)   #7
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I agree with everything Macdaddy said, if Champcar is subsidizing DCR in some way why not put a driver in the car that is already on the payroll. We'll probably never konw for sure, but that's what I think. I just wish that Dale Coyne had a guy in that AMR car consistantly and give the team a chance to gel with one driver.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 20:06 (Ref:1349032)   #8
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From an interview with Ryan by Autosport:

Quote:
Q. You've signed for just one race this weekend at Toronto. Any chance it could be more?

RD: "I'm in for the rest of the season provided I don't mess anything up. It's not about money. It's a funded drive thanks to American Medical Response so I'm not bringing any to the team. There aren't many non-funded drives around at the moment so it is good to be able to be one of the few drivers on the grid able to say that.

"I might know after this weekend, but we'll have to see."
Old 6 Jul 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1349055)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I get the impression that Valiante could've said the same thing. The only sponsor on those sidepods were AMR. And he didn't mess anything up.

(That is assuming that AMR are a paying-sponsor in the first place)

Dalziel's already being groomed to take over for Vasser next year, so why not give somebody else a shot?
Old 6 Jul 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1349084)   #10
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am happy for Ryan but I am very disappointed for Michael Valiante. I am also disappointed (but not surprised) that the powers that be did not see the publicity that could have been gained by putting MV in the car for the Canadian races.

Did they expect Jensen to do that? While there seems to be good local interest adding another Canadian would have been a good plan for now and for the future.

What did MV do or not do in Portland to not get another chance.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1349104)   #11
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think OWRS is only worried about keeping one driver from each country look at what happened to the Mexican drivers, we all know Mario is only around because they knew that with no Mexicans the races in Mexico would be kind of hopeless.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 04:09 (Ref:1349256)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
There is a strategy here somewhere...if we could only figure it out! The Amigos put a Brit in a car for the Canadian races, leaving a deserving Canadian out in the cold (no pun intended). Perhaps I need a few drinks to loosen up the few remaining brain cells that I have and then everything will make sense!

Maybe they will put a Canadian in the car for the remaining American races...A Korean for next year's Mexican race, a Mexican for the Korean race...

Further, I thought AMR's relationship to DCR was not one that generated cash - can someone clarify that?

I think I am going to go have a lie-down now.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 04:51 (Ref:1349265)   #13
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Muzza suggested that AMR wasn't giving DCR any money and I thought he made a good arguement.

I would suggest that Dalziel's sponsor isn't AMR, but uncle Kevin. Recall that PKV is keeping Dalziel on as a technical resources or some wierd title because they're looking to bring him on for next year. If KK is looking for value for his money he probably wants Dalziel to get some experience. If they were smart they'd be looking at subsidizing drivers who will improve the lot of the series. Frankly I think developing Mexican and US talent should be the #1 priority. Canadians would show up even without a Canadian in the field, but I don't know that 330k Mexicans will show up at their two races (or if you want to use the weekend figures >700k) without someone to cheer for.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 06:07 (Ref:1349289)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dalziel said today in Autosport that no money is being brought to Coyne and he won the drive on merit. I've heard the dollar figure on AMR's sponsorship and if true it's enough to run the car.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 10:23 (Ref:1349429)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Perhaps Muzza can clarify then as he seems to have good information on these things. He seemed certain at the time he posted that AMR was not offering $$ but perhaps that has changed.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 10:58 (Ref:1349453)   #16
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well no matter what our views on who should or shouldnt be in the car I certainly wish Ryan well and am happy to see another new face come to the sport and certainly one that seems to be deserving of the seat.

a shame for valiante but good news for Ryan.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 11:55 (Ref:1349504)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Quote:
PKV sought the opportunity for Dalziel as a way of advancing his learning curve...
SpeedTV
Old 7 Jul 2005, 16:44 (Ref:1349735)   #18
gordie
Rookie

gordie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard from more than one reliable source that Valiente acts very much like a "prima donna" and has offended many influential people that could have helped his carreer...hence, no ride.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1349840)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting there Gordie, a shame if he is. If they really do have full funding available for the drive, t's time DCR signed a driver who can do the whole season for them/
Old 7 Jul 2005, 19:24 (Ref:1349844)   #20
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to ten-tenths Gordie
Old 7 Jul 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1349851)   #21
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Boots, that's why none of this makes sense.

I get the impression that OWRS / CCWS / KK have everything to do with it.

I fully realize that it's important to the series to get more American drivers. But, as I've said, the Toronto-Edmonton part of the schedule is the absolute worst time to try it.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1349867)   #22
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But Dalziel is Scottish!
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 9 Jul 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1351004)   #23
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ryan is certainly there on merit, he's been an Atlantics front-runner for the past 2 years, and I don't think he has that much personal sponsorship. Chances are that KK has paid for these drives so as to ensure that his man is race-ready next year. The whole thing seems to be of questoinable priority though - ultimately KK has put his team's needs above the needs of the series as a whole, and that's what he's always promised he would never do. It's such a shame that Michael won't be in action this weekend.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1351204)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Ryan is indeed Scottish - Dalziel (pronounced D-L) is a classic Celtic name. Despite his strong Atlantics pedigree, I'm sure he's only there because KK has him under contract, and this surely represents an abuse of power.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 18:37 (Ref:1351258)   #25
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ok so this raises the next question.

if Ryan is heading to PKV next year what is happening with that team ?

with DaMatta proving he is still very quick in this series and jimmy being a part owner in the team will Jimmy take an early retirement and give Ryan the drive or are they planning a 3 car team for 06 ?