Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 19 Jun 2009, 06:05 (Ref:2486358)   #1
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans 2010 (General)

I personally think that this thread should have started on Sunday or Monday, but alas, nearly a week has passed and no thread has started so I figure I shall start it.

So here we are, the dust has settled. The Lion has jumped through the four rings, Porsche's dominant RS Spyder has triumphed in a privateer category, Corvette has had their GT1 swan song, and the Prancing Donkey has utterly humiliated the Pig.

That's all well and good, but what of next year? Will it be another Audi-Peugeot duel? Will Peugeot even attend? Will the R15 be upgraded enough to win the first race of a new decade?

Time will tell - but the time is a year away and to pass the time I expect the population of 10 Tenths to discuss, debate, argue, deliberate, propose, hypothesize, extrapolate, imagine, and do other things of this nature in this thread.

Have at it chaps and chapettes!
Old 20 Jun 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2486897)   #2
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Mmm... nice thread for a long long winter...

As I've been asked by some old members at the TT meeting I'll try to post once in a week, and this fits perfectly with this topic.

Actually, I noticed that the debate raged already on some french forums, but I was surprise too that nobody tried to launch it here... the post race syndrom maybe ?

There's plenty to discuss :
- what about the past Audish decade at its very end last week-end ?
- what about what we lived in 1989 and 1999 (remember what we had in 1992, in 2000) ?
- what about new rules and new categories ?
- what about hybrids and consomption based ACO's rules ?
- what about the goodbye to GT1 (remembers something to me) ?
- what about the actual crisis and car builders hability to commit in new projets ?
- what about gossips ?

Well, to paraphrase some Clarcksonish TV animator, "let's find out !"

I'll chose for this week-end the link between the last three decades (oh my, it could worked for the last four !)... the end of C group led to a major failure : I'm watching/re-reading those days old tapes and ACO's annual of this critical period. We went from best to worst possible field (quantity in 1992, quality in 1994 : pathetic !). We didn't have much better last millenium turn up : what a difference between 1999 and 2000... we needed two years to see some great cars back on business (Dallara Oreca, Bentleys, MGs). Two years is a very long time, meaning two races without any passion or real opponent for the winner.

I'd like some examination of what the LMP1 field could be in 2010 and 2011. We'll have 3 Audis (confirmed by Dt Ulrich) and 3 Pugs (confirmed by Peugeot's staff on the podium), if the boards agree despite the running crisis (not done, IMHO).

What about AM ? Prodrive was clear about its intention to go F1 instead... is AM able to go by itself to LM ?

Oreca : as AM, Hugues de Chaunac was clear bout equivalences. If the category is not more balanced between diesel and gas, it's a big no no (perfectly understandable BTW).

Pescarolo : it will be "Pug" or nothing, or so.

And what about the quite anonymous (let's be honest : as I was away from the forum for three years, I knew nothing about what I saw, and was unable to expect anything of Zytek, Ginetta and so on... and when I listen Johnny Mowlem on RLM say "let's face it : money talks more than ever this year", all has been said about the teams rolling here) rest of the P1 field ? One week later, I even can't remember who's behind the leaders on the scoring board. Let's see what's what : Pug, Pug, Audi, AM, Oreca, Pug... er... Pescarolo ?... er... I think that the Essex Porker is not far but... oh well... can't say. See ? That's my old brain probably

That said, the outsiders did sterling job compared to what we had some years in the same decade ! And the cars were awsome... but who's who ?

We need more opponents for the lead, or at least we need to believe that, well in some conditions, it's possible for the strong outsiders... the best exemples : 1991 (Mazda), 1999 (BMW). At least give us a real AM potentiel winner.

A very provocative answer... your turn now !
Old 21 Jun 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2487366)   #3
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
if you want a more competitve field, it's not equivilencies in speed that need ironing out, it's the sheer number of cars that each of the major teams was running. Four Peugeots and five Audis didn't give much possibility for the tortoises to outlast the hares.
Old 25 Jun 2009, 10:42 (Ref:2490352)   #4
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Lusitano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
if you want a more competitve field, it's not equivilencies in speed that need ironing out, it's the sheer number of cars that each of the major teams was running. Four Peugeots and five Audis didn't give much possibility for the tortoises to outlast the hares.
Completely agree! I surely would like to see more variety. I miss the white dome with gold wheels and the black Epsilon-Euskadi cars.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2493229)   #5
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano View Post
Completely agree! I surely would like to see more variety. I miss the white dome with gold wheels and the black Epsilon-Euskadi cars.
Trouble is they weren't competitive and didn't last that long, so whilst I'd love to see a mixture of cars in LMP1 the reality is that outside of the R15/R10, 908 diesel battle there are only 3 or 4 cars likely to survive and take the fight to them. So the problem is then that if we take out, lets say, half of the big guns and replace them with cars that aren't going to last we'll still end up pretty much as we are but with less finishers!

But if there were enough quality LMP1 entries then, yes, I would love to see the limitations enlarged to make/model as well as team.

And let's not forget the 956/962 era, most of the top ten were one or the other at one stage! At least we have open Audi's and closed Pugs now!
Old 29 Jun 2009, 13:04 (Ref:2493276)   #6
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMP1 was very strong this year - strongest in depth for many years IMO and I'd love to see them all bac next year - with a few more thrown in for good measure!
GT1 was very disappointing though - the highlight must have been the start straight rolling burn out as the vette went out with a rather large roar!
Old 15 Sep 2009, 18:13 (Ref:2541435)   #7
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Yes, that is getting out of hand and needs to be reeled back in!

L.P.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 22:39 (Ref:2541595)   #8
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Yes, that is getting out of hand and needs to be reeled back in!

L.P.

1967: I seem to remember Ford GTs everywhere - Ford France, Holman and Moody, Alan Mann Racing, Shelby American and so on.....

I thought it was great and it didn't seem to do much harm. Penalising success isn't the way. Better to make positive moves to encourage others to raise their standards, like the equivalence arithmetic; then we could have five Audis, five Peugeots, five Astons, five Pepsicolas!
Old 15 Sep 2009, 23:03 (Ref:2541607)   #9
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
1967: I seem to remember Ford GTs everywhere - Ford France, Holman and Moody, Alan Mann Racing, Shelby American and so on.....

I thought it was great and it didn't seem to do much harm. Penalising success isn't the way. Better to make positive moves to encourage others to raise their standards, like the equivalence arithmetic; then we could have five Audis, five Peugeots, five Astons, five Pepsicolas!
I am not opposed to large #s of anything in a class, but the amount of Works cars is out of line! That many works cars penalizes the success of the privateers!

L.P.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 08:13 (Ref:2541754)   #10
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
I am not opposed to large #s of anything in a class, but the amount of Works cars is out of line! That many works cars penalizes the success of the privateers!

L.P.
I would agree works entries are only there when times are good but without the non works teams there would be no races most years, 2 or 3 cars should be the limit for full works cars however as in the past many privately entered cars have some works help so it is difficult to distinguise what is a full works team and what is factory backing. The ACO should look closely at how they allocate grid slots and lets hope they do not sacrifice the long term private teams for the short team factory efforts
Old 17 Sep 2009, 07:12 (Ref:2542618)   #11
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I would agree works entries are only there when times are good but without the non works teams there would be no races most years, 2 or 3 cars should be the limit for full works cars however as in the past many privately entered cars have some works help so it is difficult to distinguise what is a full works team and what is factory backing. The ACO should look closely at how they allocate grid slots and lets hope they do not sacrifice the long term private teams for the short team factory efforts
Agreed. Determining what's a works entry can sometimes be difficult.
Which of the aforementioned Ford GTs was the works entry?
Look back at the Eighties - despite an "official" works team, there were plenty of 956/962s capable of winning.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2542800)   #12
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe Shelby, Holman/Moody and Ford France were all works entries in their own sense. Shelby was fairly independent but only because they had so many years of experience with the car (like P&M), Holman and Moody was brought it to increase Ford's chances. Ford France was just another tentacle of Ford's lust for victory.

It does get hard to separate private from works. There are plenty of teams out there that are so highly professional, the only real works help they need is just some inside knowledge on the cars and official parts and factory support on more complicate issues (Prodrive, Flying Lizards, P&M, Oreca, Pescarolo, even Joest).
Old 17 Sep 2009, 22:39 (Ref:2543116)   #13
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
I believe Shelby, Holman/Moody and Ford France were all works entries in their own sense. Shelby was fairly independent but only because they had so many years of experience with the car (like P&M), Holman and Moody was brought it to increase Ford's chances. Ford France was just another tentacle of Ford's lust for victory.
I think that you are right. Every Mk2 and Mk4 entered that year were Factory entries. The only Fords that were not factory entries were the older GT-40s.

DK
Old 2 Oct 2009, 06:55 (Ref:2552459)   #14
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
The ACO have announced that the 78th running of the 24 Heures du Mans will take place on June 12th - 13th, 2010.

Quote:
Today, it is time to think about the next “24 Heures du Mans”, which will take place on 12th and 13th June, 2010. Peugeot has already announced its intention to defend its title, and is waiting to take on the challengers to the crown. The complete list of the teams automatically invited by the ACO will be published after the Asian Le Mans Series (in Japan) on 1st November. Once again, the line-up promises to be exceptional, both in the Prototype and GT categories. Don’t miss the 78th edition of the “24 Heures du Mans”, the last opportunity to see the evolution of the present prototypes and GTs, since a new technical rule will be coming into force as from 2011.

L.P.
Old 6 Oct 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2555060)   #15
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Tim to book the holiday... Plus Le Mans Classic next year. Woohoo.
Old 6 Oct 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2555137)   #16
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Can anyone see this coming to pass at Le Mans???
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/8292264.stm
Old 6 Oct 2009, 12:39 (Ref:2555153)   #17
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I do a pretty good job at consumming alcohol at le mans but even i would he in need of medical attention at the thought of 24 cans of high strength lager per day, thats 12 litres of the stuff. I can just see the gate marshalls trying to police it, they could print little tabs on the tickets and tear them of each time you return to the track with more beer.

I do remember one year they tried to ban Glass bottle on the practice days, we reached the enterance behind the pits just before the start of the evening session with rucksacs containing numerous bottle of Jeulain (dark beer 9%). Rather than walk back to the campsite we drank the lot in about 15 minutes, were rather drunk about half an hour later.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2556216)   #18
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
The Law of Unintended Consequences, at work!
Old 13 Oct 2009, 13:28 (Ref:2560555)   #19
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Lusitano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can not wait!!! Looking forward for another epic edition!!! Might go for the beausejour site again; possibly not the best, but after 2 years there, I believe it is good bang for the buck.

I understand prices went up. Is that correct? 65€ general?

Good luck with imposing such laws on events such as the 24H. Ban alcohol because of the violence it potentially generates? Oh, and what about the violence that is not generated by alcohol? For example, I get annoyed at the sight of F1 ****, like hats, shirts, and the lot. Should not those be banned?

Personally, if I start to see much too much "rules", it is one less event for me to attend.
Old 13 Oct 2009, 18:06 (Ref:2560715)   #20
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I was going to post that the other week as well.

It would be impossible to police. More people spread out over a much larger area, other many nationalities. Besides, I've seen some pretty drunk people on Mad Friday before, but 24 cans is a heck of a lot!

What I can't understand is that this law has been brought in to curb violence, but surely once you've drank 12 litres of beer you are way, way past being able to throw a punch?
Old 15 Oct 2009, 16:08 (Ref:2562055)   #21
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Is one "slab" or 4 litres per day really a limit or more of an invitation? Seems like you can get pretty plastered with this "limit".

DK
Old 15 Oct 2009, 16:30 (Ref:2562066)   #22
KSR88
Rookie

United States
California
KSR88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post

It does get hard to separate private from works. There are plenty of teams out there that are so highly professional, the only real works help they need is just some inside knowledge on the cars and official parts and factory support on more complicate issues (Prodrive, Flying Lizards, P&M, Oreca, Pescarolo, even Joest).
Flying Lizards has factory support and one car with Porsche team drivers----but when Seth and Johannes are in a car it is a classic gentlemen team. Team principals and I don't think either has ever had a pro ride--paid to drive! Nothing like Champion, Joest or the others with all pro drivers.

As for help--in this day it is way, way more than parts --it is engineers by the droves and that is really what separates factory teams from most pro teams--at least in the U.S.. Most personnel on U.S. pro teams are weekend warriors flying in for the weekend to change tires, review data or whatever their task...working with a small group of permanent staff. Factory teams have all full time staff-especially engineers that design, develop, and then provide race support vs. a part time engineer that had nothing to do with design and development of the car. The difference is huge.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2562730)   #23
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post

What I can't understand is that this law has been brought in to curb violence, but surely once you've drank 12 litres of beer you are way, way past being able to throw a punch?
The trouble is after 12 litres, the ability may have dimished but the desire will increase!
Old 20 Oct 2009, 10:32 (Ref:2565305)   #24
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
That depends on the person . I can drink a fair few , and sit about laughing and wanting a good time , not agro !!!

Isnt there a drink limitation (ban) for the motorbike race at Le Mans already ?
Old 20 Oct 2009, 10:54 (Ref:2565312)   #25
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
That depends on the person . I can drink a fair few , and sit about laughing and wanting a good time , not agro !!!

Isnt there a drink limitation (ban) for the motorbike race at Le Mans already ?
Wasn't there an alcohol ban for this year's 24 hour bike race in place?