Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 4 May 2006, 00:49 (Ref:1600398)   #1
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What track changes would you do to Le Mans??

Just something fun...

But, if you had the chance to change the track of Le Mans, what would you do???

We all hate the chicanes on the Mulsanne and don't want them there, so you can't make that your change....

Me personally... I would bring back Maison Blanche!!!
Old 4 May 2006, 06:12 (Ref:1600448)   #2
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Good question.

I think I would get rid of the Dunlop chicane and let the cars sweep straight into the new curve before the esses. I think that would make an awesome section.

Secondly I would open up more areas for spectators. Access (Legal)to parts of the Mulsanne, more of the Porsche Curves. It would be great to be able to walk beside the track from Grandstands right down to Arnage.
Old 4 May 2006, 09:15 (Ref:1600516)   #3
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
Secondly I would open up more areas for spectators. Access (Legal)to parts of the Mulsanne, more of the Porsche Curves. It would be great to be able to walk beside the track from Grandstands right down to Arnage.
Excellent suggestions Mal!

Unfortunately the circuit itself will evolve as the ACO see fit. But allowing spectators more access to parts of the circuit presently out of bounds would enhance the Le Mans experience enormously. A large spectator bank on the outside of the circuit at the Mulsanne kink would be awsome!! Mind you, the 'greens' wouldn't like all those trees cut down to make way for it.........

I'd also like to see the Porsche Curves enclosure extended and giant screens installed there and at Arnage.
Old 4 May 2006, 10:45 (Ref:1600568)   #4
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The chicanes removed from mulsanne, so we can see what the manufacturers would do to make the cars go faster again!
Old 4 May 2006, 15:17 (Ref:1600707)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Rebuild the pub at Tetre Rouge ..... Get rid of the ford chicane and dunlop chicane so we could have a mad blast all the way from the porsche curves and ban those awful chicanes on the Mulsanne !!!

Thats for a start !!!

Fish and chip shop and an indian at the circuit .........
Old 4 May 2006, 15:17 (Ref:1600708)   #6
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd certainly echo the greater access, some places were you can get photographs without catch fencing would be great, too...

I'd drop the Dunlop Chicane, but I quite like the esses after the bridge.
Old 4 May 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1600847)   #7
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
funnily enough i quite like the dunlop chicane, seeing two or more cars going into it hard on the brakes after the long blast up the grandstand straight is one of my favourite things about le mans.
Old 5 May 2006, 15:26 (Ref:1601312)   #8
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr
funnily enough i quite like the dunlop chicane, seeing two or more cars going into it hard on the brakes after the long blast up the grandstand straight is one of my favourite things about le mans.
I agree, i just hope they haven't ruined it thsi year!
My change - Add more garages!!!
Old 5 May 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1601364)   #9
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Increase the width of the track from Mulsanne corner down to Indianapolis. That particular stretch of road seems a bit too narrow at the moment.
Old 5 May 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1601381)   #10
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
to the track : apart from the full Dunlop curve, nothing. Please stop changing this track now!

to the spectators areas, as Mal said above: full access from Porsche to Ford (inside and outside), a good (legal) access to mulsanne straight (2nd chicane/the kink), and a decent viewing area at Indianapolis
Old 5 May 2006, 21:33 (Ref:1601486)   #11
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would want to see an extension of the Porsche Curves so the short straight before the Ford Chicane and the chicanes themself would be gone and add some 2-3 more high speed corners after the current Porsche Curves and let them lead directly onto the main straight. The Ford Chicanes are just awfoul IMO.
Old 6 May 2006, 08:14 (Ref:1601606)   #12
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard b
to the track : apart from the full Dunlop curve, nothing. Please stop changing this track now!

to the spectators areas, as Mal said above: full access from Porsche to Ford
Agreed, maybe also change the esses back.

If you like the cars dicing into the Dunlop Chicane, then you would have loved the sight of 2 cars flat out, side by side down the pit straight thru the sweeping Dunlop corner then thru the esses.

is a chicane better than this?

Watching the cars from the inside of the track up the slight hill towards the bridge was as good as it got.

Inside

You stood very close to the track with no fences between you and the cars.

Sorry, but braking into a chicane does not do it for me.
Old 6 May 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1601614)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Increase the viewing at Indianapolis so that you can see the cars coming at you through the trees - like you used to!

Ideally I'd remove the Dunlop, although I can see what kdr is saying. On this I'd like to see the old Esses back (preferably with big walls like in the '60s and before!). This provided a big stop. Although in some ways the new series of corners is quite good - especially for watching how drivers get through the backmarkers.

Again ideally the Mulsanne chicanes should be removed. I don't see the need for any great viewing areas on the Mulsanne. I like how it is a mission to see the cars there. Sans chicane and you get to see the cars sooner everywhere else!

I don't like the Ford chicane/complex, but I don't really know what to suggest realistically.

The Porsche curves are excellent leave them and the other parts of the circuit.

Oh and put back the humps. I've just watched some '80s Le Mans I am converting to DVD. The humps on the Mulsanne and the drop to the Esses are such classic Le Mans scenes.
Old 6 May 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1601675)   #14
Dagobert II
Rookie

Netherlands
Hengelo (O), NL
Dagobert II should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
...A large spectator bank on the outside of the circuit at the Mulsanne kink would be awsome!! Mind you, the 'greens' wouldn't like all those trees cut down to make way for it.........
Why not a banks in the treetops!
In the Netherlands they did it. Somewhere in the north-eastern part (Drente). Walkingplatforms in the trees.
Old 6 May 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1601718)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Leave the trees - they give the place great atmosphere. All the best race tracks are surrounded by trees.
Old 6 May 2006, 15:06 (Ref:1601786)   #16
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
true

I can't remember where I saw pics of Mulsanne's corner in the 50's, with no tree around: what a nightmare!
Old 6 May 2006, 16:41 (Ref:1601846)   #17
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
is a chicane better than this?

Watching the cars from the inside of the track up the slight hill towards the bridge was as good as it got.

Inside

You stood very close to the track with no fences between you and the cars.

Sorry, but braking into a chicane does not do it for me.

yes i know what you're saying but if they took the chicane out now all that would be left would be a straight track in a sea of gravel. plus i still get goose bumps when i remember the whistling noise the bentley made when it got off the gas in the entry to the dunlop chicane...man alive!!
Old 6 May 2006, 17:27 (Ref:1601882)   #18
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Leave the trees - they give the place great atmosphere. All the best race tracks are surrounded by trees.
1000% agree with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The greener the better, I say.
Old 6 May 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1601994)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1. Lose the carbuncles on the Mulsanne
2. Put the run down to the Esses back the way it should be.
3. Make it so that spectators can actually see something again at Indianapolis.....
4. Move the Classic back to September
Old 7 May 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1602521)   #20
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Old 7 May 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1602530)   #21
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
Straight Ford section and Dunlop curve ??

gee!!!

they'll fly under the Dunlop bridge
Old 7 May 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1602676)   #22
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1) Remove ford and dunlop chicanes, but open up the second chicane, to make it a tad faster. Then there will be more speed into the kink than now. And keep the first one.
2) If the bugatti circuit went back to the pre-2001 corners, take the first 2 bugatti corners and then join esses, although it would be a right-hander.
3) Rename the chicanes on the mulsanne straight Hermann Lang Chicane and the Stirling Moss Chicane. Sponsored corner names drive me NUTS.
Old 8 May 2006, 07:16 (Ref:1603050)   #23
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
3) Rename the chicanes on the mulsanne straight Hermann Lang Chicane and the Stirling Moss Chicane. Sponsored corner names drive me NUTS.
that is a serious point to discuss
although I probably wouldn't choose these names, you're right that sponsored names are ridiculous with such a circuit and its history
a real, permanent name MUST be set by ACO for these chicanes, the same way they named all the granstands with drivers name, even if they are sponsored

for my own, I'd go for brands names, Jaguar, Ferrari or Bentley
Old 8 May 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1603183)   #24
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1

Yeah !!!
Old 8 May 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1603188)   #25
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard b
that is a serious point to discuss
although I probably wouldn't choose these names, you're right that sponsored names are ridiculous with such a circuit and its history
a real, permanent name MUST be set by ACO for these chicanes, the same way they named all the granstands with drivers name, even if they are sponsored

for my own, I'd go for brands names, Jaguar, Ferrari or Bentley

Couldn't call it after Bob Wollek either - he hated those chicane's !!!!