Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Mar 2003, 09:36 (Ref:535816)   #1
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTP in 2003

GTP looks to be fairly interesting this year. It will be interesting to see how the new VW Golf R32's go against the Subarus, Evo Lancers, Commodore GTS's, Falcon GT's, BMW's, Nissans and Mazda RX7's. Gee that's 8 manufacturers in one race.
Old 15 Mar 2003, 10:55 (Ref:536808)   #2
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah it is shaping up to be a great year,but would the RX8 be running sometime in the year?
Old 15 Mar 2003, 11:27 (Ref:536825)   #3
pete55
Veteran

I'm not sure but i think Bob Pearson is hoping it is available later on in the year.
Old 15 Mar 2003, 14:27 (Ref:536948)   #4
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the plan is for Pearson's team to at least test one before the end of the year, maybe the aim is to run one in the 24 hour.

Looks like a good line-up. What are the race formats. Hopefully some longer distance races will be in there to give the 2WD cars a chance (as was proved in the 24 hour).

Should be a good year for the highest Touring Car class we have here.
Old 15 Mar 2003, 23:20 (Ref:537613)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I reckon a works-supported M3 with a works driver in it would be hard to toss in Nations Cup...

Tradition doesnt hold well for some of the Evos and WRX's, history has shown that in yr 1 the cars have reliability, but as those vehicles are raced for their 2nd season the bits that were thought to be ok begin to break down

A shame Fully & Peters arent in the field this year... Mark King arguably is the favourite, with Wayne Boatwright up there too
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Mar 2003, 00:28 (Ref:537689)   #6
pete55
Veteran

I too reckon a BMW M3 should go alright. I'm not sure if the BA XR6 Turbo is in GTP or not. It seems to have been moved around a bit.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 00:33 (Ref:537696)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With no disrepect to the rumoured drivers, the only way the BA would do well would be to draft a Ford Supercar driver onboard...
Old 16 Mar 2003, 01:12 (Ref:537731)   #8
pete55
Veteran

I was told if the XR6 Turbo was to run in GTP that in race trim it would produce 300KW. One rumoured driver was David Wood, not sure of any other. It looks like 3 GT-P Falcons will be running at least. I also notice that only one of the proposed BMW M3's have entered for Adelaide. At least one of the rumoured HSV GTS's haven't turned up either.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 01:15 (Ref:537732)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
There will be a story in Zoom or one of those mags that will show an XR6 Turbo engine making 700bhp+ That wouldnt be GTP standard internals, or indeed intercooler & the like....

Ford should still help a team in that class, to counter the Monaro annihilation
Old 16 Mar 2003, 01:58 (Ref:537754)   #10
pete55
Veteran

The Monaro doesn't run in GTP though. I reckon the GTS should run in GTP though and not where it is. It would be good to see a few XR6 Turbos running in GTP though against the HSV GTS and the Falcon GT-P and the Subarus and Lancers etc.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 02:13 (Ref:537756)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The whole parity problem in GTP and Nations Cup is that the drivers are as big a variable as the vehicle. Someone like Geoff Morgan who has done incredibly well with the lardar5ed Viper in GTP is relatively nowhere in the identical Porsche Cup cars....

And by the same token, you put a better driver in a L2 Faz 360 and watch the car nip at the heels of the L1 cars, and not get lapped every race
Old 16 Mar 2003, 02:36 (Ref:537762)   #12
pete55
Veteran

Yes it wouldn't be easy to work it all out but i think they could do it better than they have.
GTP doesn't seem to be attracting Factory participation so they obviously don't find it attractive enough to worry about it.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 04:05 (Ref:537780)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
When the teev was only on SBS where will the manufacturers achieve bragging rights??

Maybe they should have run a South Park episode either side of Speedweek, might have improved viewing numbers :confused:
Old 16 Mar 2003, 05:31 (Ref:537803)   #14
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For an example, Auto Action did a review of the NC-Mustang that PHR was running, and with Bowe in the seat it was right on Group 1 times. Competitive. But with the driver it had, no go.

Anyhow, to get the Falcon motor up to around 270kW is incredibly easy. Just change the ECU, but it'll shatter the crappy gearbox in it. I haven't read the tech regs for GTP but if you can change your box to a differant set of internals the Falc can easily break it's 450Nm cap. (That cap is there for that gearbox reason. It produces 450Nm in a flat table from 2000-4500 rpm.) There's a measly 6psi boost running on it. New computer allowing for more boost and away it goes. The motors internals for a race distance could more than likely handle it and the optional brake package is a development from the previous GT's, so fairly strong units.

I don't think it'd compete with the Evo's and whatnot but it'd be a decently quick car.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 06:08 (Ref:537811)   #15
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: GTP in 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by pete55
GTP looks to be fairly interesting this year. It will be interesting to see how the new VW Golf R32's go against the Subarus, Evo Lancers, Commodore GTS's, Falcon GT's, BMW's, Nissans and Mazda RX7's. Gee that's 8 manufacturers in one race.
pete I have to back you up on how great it is to have so many manufactures in the series from V8's to 4bees and those mighty RX7's (oneyed mazda fan) and those hot little Golfs. The Euros may straggle at first but once sorted out it could be anyones race or second
(RX7 1st). I just hope that Channel 7 doesn't put Macaphukie on as a commentator as he is a pain in the neck and has no idea of motorsport.
I've notice Maek Oastler missing from Ten so where has he gone ?? Maybe he might turn up on Seven with the PROCAR show.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 08:55 (Ref:537873)   #16
CooperS79
Racer

Australia
Wollongong
CooperS79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok here are a couple of things about the XR6T

The XR6T will not run in GT Performance it is in the eligibilty list for the APCC (Australian Production Car Championship).

Procar wanted it in GT Performance but CAMS knocked it back due to the fact that it would have needed to many concessions to be competitive in that class (GT Performance).

It will run in the APCC, (if anyone builds one) at standard boost and weight.

There is only one BA entered for Adelaide and that is a GT entered by Daryl Coon, but if the rumors are right then he dosnt even have a car yet.

Trevor Haines is hoping to have a new GT online by round 2 at Symonds Plains.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 11:01 (Ref:537945)   #17
pete55
Veteran

Garry Holt is supposed to be building one too. I guess it is a GT.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 12:35 (Ref:538007)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: GTP in 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by AussieV8
I just hope that Channel 7 doesn't put Macaphukie on as a commentator as he is a pain in the neck and has no idea of motorsport.
I've notice Maek Oastler missing from Ten so where has he gone ?? Maybe he might turn up on Seven with the PROCAR show.
I was hoping Wilko might get a run, but 7 have let him go, maybe Mike will make another comeback. I'm not sure what happened with Oastler, maybe he is busy with his Mag.

This year's series looks wide open, and doesn't look like it will be a 4WD benefit as in previous years.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 05:02 (Ref:538584)   #19
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
racer69 I can't wait till PROCAR comes to Wakefield Park. I would travel further to see the proddies series than the taxi's. My nephew and I are going back to the top of the MT to camp for the 24hr.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 10:56 (Ref:538766)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I notice Mark Oastler was calling the Konicas for 10 on the weekend.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 04:54 (Ref:539778)   #21
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
Does that mean he has taken a step back or sideways to host Trackside ???
Old 18 Mar 2003, 05:30 (Ref:539791)   #22
True Believer
Racer

True Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well his brother Malcolm got sacked from BAR for doing a lousy job for 3 seasons and got kicked upstairs into Jaguar, so anything is possible
Old 18 Mar 2003, 05:40 (Ref:539798)   #23
pete55
Veteran

Have you had a few angry pills today True Believer.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 05:51 (Ref:539806)   #24
True Believer
Racer

True Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No angry pills, just dont think people should get selected because they are the only ones around at the time not sitting down when the music stops
Old 18 Mar 2003, 05:57 (Ref:539809)   #25
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
In the television world if you are **** don't you end up on TEN so if they think hez **** then that doesn't say much about the producer.