Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 22 Aug 2000, 11:49 (Ref:32087)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having noticed that there's a link to Le Mans 2000 and it's now time to prepare for the future rather than the past -

Who's going to Le Mans 2001? How are you getting there? Where are you staying? Who do you think will win? What are you going to bring? What kind of camera do you have and how well does it work on night shots?

Sarah and I are going with Airtrack again and we're going to drive. Anybody else want to join us?
Old 22 Aug 2000, 12:18 (Ref:32098)   #2
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd love to go. All I need to know is can I afford it...well can I? I have no idea how to get there or anything, so meeting up with 10 tenths people might be a good idea

To answer the questions in order...
Hopefully me. By plane? Somewhere which has a bed (I hope). Panoz will win. I'm going to bring me and my camera, I don't need anything else. Great Pentax camera, some people have seen the results of it, no idea on night shots as I haven't tried any...might have to finally invest in a monopod I think.
Old 22 Aug 2000, 12:21 (Ref:32099)   #3
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elephino - don't forget to get 'in the know' by visiting the superb Ten Tenths Le Mans Circuit Guide.

All your questions will be answered
Old 22 Aug 2000, 17:49 (Ref:32158)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I seem to think that TimD and Bluebottle already said they were going. I intend to, and I intend to convince the rest of the gang of the merits of a mass exodus from blighty for the week...

Hopefully we might even be able to get together with a tour operator and get some sort of discount in return for plugging their wares on this site.
Old 22 Aug 2000, 18:51 (Ref:32160)   #5
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Liz,

Well I will be there again with 6 others. We normally take 3 cars and drive from Calais in convoy. Takes about 5 hours during the day. Camping tickets are required in advance. Book now if you want a hotel, most are sold out well in advance.

If you are flying from Canada maybe go into Paris & rent a car? Take (or buy in hypermarket in France) a tent, stove (Food on circuit is v expensive) change of clothes as weather can change from 90 though thunderstorms to almost freezing. pocket radio for Radio Le Mans commentry. Optional grandstand ticket as crowds at the start / finish can be heavy. All food, booze, tents, stoves, sleeping bags, chairs etc can be obtained at modest cost in a hypermarket 5 min drive from circuit. As it becomes a UK province during the race, English is spoken.

Camera, flash is not encouraged but you can get those shots with the taillights all up the pit straight with a tripod.

The "Club Arnage" website is dedicated to Le Mans and very good, as of course is the 10/10 guide

Any further Le Mans questions ??

Simon
Old 22 Aug 2000, 21:11 (Ref:32186)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SL

As it becomes a UK province during the race, English is spoken.

Except, of course, by any Frenchman who is in a role of authority. Then his linguistic abilities become somehow stilted all of a sudden.

Yes, I've done the Le Mans experience, and been on the receiving end of a gendarme with a chip on his shoulder. But I will definitely be doing Le Mans 2001.

The TimD/Bluebottle/Hurricane plan is slightly haphazard, because we discovered a great unofficial campsite close to Indianapolis/Arnage last year, and while it is very pleasant, it doesn't book in advance. So you are required to travel in hope and try to beat the hordes. Last year we caught a breakfast time ferry on the Thursday, and were in the Le Mans race traffic by 5pm.

As it stands, Bluebottle and Hurricane will be taking their sports car, and I will be backup with a quick estate car for the luggage. Thursday seems the likely launch date again. I may well have non-motor sport people hitching a lift with us, so that they can have a French holiday, so I'm not sure as to how many spare seats I could offer yet. No doubt this will clarify nearer to the time.

June, huh? I can hardly wait.
Old 22 Aug 2000, 21:47 (Ref:32192)   #7
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ME ME ME ME ME ME ME, I definatly want to go this year. The fact I now have a job also helps, because i will be able to afford it this year.
Right, anyone want to offer me a lift?
I have use of a big tent!
Old 22 Aug 2000, 22:56 (Ref:32205)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lee, you can ride with us if Danielsun doesn't - 89 quid includes ferry crossing, camp site and insurance - Airtrack can also provide tickets and a bus trip out to Mulsanne/Arnage/Indianapolis which I intend to take again this year as I considered it one of the best parts of the trip! Sarah is driving. There is a bit of an uphill walk to the track from where we camp, though. And last year we had a lot of Germans (with fireworks) behind us!

This year I am going to get the Big Spender All Included Ticket Pass to Everything in the hopes that I can get right up close to the Panoz among many others. I guess I will have to start saving.
Old 23 Aug 2000, 09:19 (Ref:32293)   #9
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
> Who's going to Le Mans 2001?

Me (12 seats in the ACO grandstand booked and waiting...)

> How are you getting there?

As many cars as possible Hopefully I'll get to drive this time (car got written-off 2 weeks before this year's race)

> Where are you staying?

Maison Blanche Camping.

> Who do you think will win?

Unfortunately it looks like Audi will be defending their title and it will take a miracle for anyone to beat them
(I'd love to see a Panoz win though)

> What are you going to bring?

My dream accessory is a fridge.

> What kind of camera do you have and how well does it work on night shots?

An Olympus point'n'shoot thingy which combined with my own incompetence produced a grand total of zero shots of race cars at this year's race. Plenty of shots of us in various bars for some reason
Old 23 Aug 2000, 18:21 (Ref:32375)   #10
Sarah
Rookie

Sarah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz, I am going to borrow my father's car next year, it's bigger than mine and will fit four people and their luggage.

You forgot to mention that the Germans liked to run around naked at four in the morning!
Old 24 Aug 2000, 01:50 (Ref:32431)   #11
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
me me me me!!!

Chances are, I am going to be making an appearance!!!

Tim - you got to squeeze me into your car...I dont care - the boot will do

I know nothing about it...have no experience...nada Which is exactly why I am making the plans to get there.

Cheers!
Old 24 Aug 2000, 19:33 (Ref:32550)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Rather than having people dotted here, there, and everywhere - is there no chance that we could end up in the same camp ?

How about the other regulars ? Invader, Lorna, etc - anyone else up for it ? I hope Dave is, as he can drive...
Old 24 Aug 2000, 21:43 (Ref:32563)   #13
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I reckon it would be great if we could all go in the same camp area. If we can recreate the atmosphere of the touring car night race it would be really cool!
And thanks for the offer Liz, lets wait to see what every one else is doing first.
Old 28 Aug 2000, 22:42 (Ref:33497)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Oh right, Sarah, I did forget those nekkid Germans! Good thing they had run out of fireworks by that time.

I'm glad to hear about the bigger car - now we can have room to stretch out and also to bring more Stuff.

My night shots are all failures. *sigh* Next year I get a better camera and maybe some lessons in how to use it.
Old 10 Nov 2000, 00:44 (Ref:47724)   #15
Liz
Veteran

I'm moving this up to the top as people have started discussing it again. We have requested our pitlane tickets and had a notice back that they will confirm in January.

Diabando you still coming? Still one open seat in our entourage. We'd love to have you.
Old 10 Nov 2000, 01:25 (Ref:47727)   #16
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Liz - it is still mt first priority of 2001 to make sure June is spent in the UK and also over to Le Mans. I have already arranged a couple of places to stay whilst in the UK (best thing about having relatives all over England)

I am saving like mad for the airfare, and only one thing has changed since my last post on this topic, which is that there is now TWO of us coming over!!!

Should I start thinking about booking tickets yet??
Old 10 Nov 2000, 01:38 (Ref:47728)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Depends on what you want. General Admission tickets are available at the gate and are quite good - they let you go anywhere except the grandstands, and people who have had only them seem to be quite satisfied with the access, especially if they know somebody who can get them into the ACO or they are members themselves. Grandstands sell out very quickly, particularly the ACO grandstand, so you should reserve those tickets pronto. You won't have to pay for them until you get them, but will have to give a credit card number to reserve the tickets. Check out the ACO website or Club Arnage website for details.
Old 10 Nov 2000, 11:09 (Ref:47780)   #18
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To echo what Liz has just said, book your tickets as early as possible, getting them from the ACO Directly is cheapest but they only have a small number of the total tickets, the majority (especially camping) are sold off to the (mainly British) tour companies - Page & Moy, Airtrack, MRI etc.

Le Mans is definitely the best value motor-racing weekend in the world. (Although not if you're flying in from another continent )
Old 10 Nov 2000, 11:40 (Ref:47789)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Page & Moy is not good for camping - Airtrack is the best for that, but if you come with us we will arrange everything. We had a very good experience with them last year and would recommend them to anyone.

Do come if you can. You'll remember it always!
Old 13 Nov 2000, 15:42 (Ref:48185)   #20
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
but if you come with us we will arrange everything
Really ? That might be an offer I cannot refuse (i'm lazy, see... ) Tell me more...
Old 13 Nov 2000, 17:08 (Ref:48189)   #21
Sarah
Rookie

Sarah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Airtrack were really good, they rent out tents and sent us maps of the best routes Le Mans from all the major Ports.

I had a general admission ticket last year and found it quite good.
Old 17 Nov 2000, 21:35 (Ref:48813)   #22
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I just found out I might just have a 3-month vacation kinda thing, including june!!

Oh boy, I might actually go to Le Mans!!!

Don't know how I'll get there yet. I intended to walk sowewhere in the vacation, why not Le Mans!

I'm already excited!!
Old 17 Nov 2000, 22:40 (Ref:48817)   #23
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Have you started arrangine yet then, Liz ?
Old 19 Nov 2000, 13:45 (Ref:48991)   #24
Liz
Veteran

Yes, we have Andrew at Airtrack on Alert (ooh, I love alliteration) and will have the following for next year:

One night at Youth Hostel in Dover - Sarah has to drive from Wales and needs to rest up, and we want to grocery shop before we go - you can go to Dover Castle if you'd rather not shop ;

Transport (Sarah's driving her car) - package includes ferry transfer at any time we get to the jumpoff in Dover, breakdown insurance and excellent maps;

Campsite with tent - best loos and shower rooms on the piste (cleaned hourly - and the showers are in little shower rooms so you can lock your door, doff your gear and expect it all to be there when you get out of the shower), good security, mainly British clientele - the Germans are across the road though);

1:00 a.m. bus to Mulsanne/Arnage corners. (They do have other times and hours for this excursion, which is 18 GBP and worth it, but we do this one.)

This lot will cost you about 100 GBP. Tickets and insurance can be arranged through Airtrack as well - their commission is fairly high but they are a lot more prompt than the ACO. We're getting our tickets at the ACO because we're going to be in the pitlane this year.

Anyone who wants me to make their arrangements can let me know and send me their money any time after the first of the year. Or you can contact Andrew at Airtrack and tell him I sent you. Maybe he'll give me a commission!
Old 19 Nov 2000, 14:30 (Ref:48997)   #25
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
I'm definately up for that Liz! Danielsun is going again I believe, so will be up for it too... and i'm hoping that we can convince Invader to go so that he can drive me, Dan and Lee across in the Audi Trouble is... he's on his hols in the States until 11th December...

Anyway, I guess I should get my application for a passport organised...!

If you can ask Airtrack to organise our tickets too please. I don't need a pitlane pass or anything fancy as i'll be getting a press pass hopefully.

As a lot of us are going to be at the race, but at various points on the circuit, maybe it would be good if we could all meet up at a certain point in the weekend... you mention a bus trip to Arnage ? How about there ?